Desire 6

All I Want...

-_-

[Taipei University]

Selina made her way up the steps lazily. She had slept in a little later than usual, but she could have cared less if she made it to class on time. Within a few seconds Selina heard loud rushed footsteps behind her. Aaron quickly ran passed her and stopped turning around surprised to see that Selina was running behind just like him.

“Are you rushing to class too?” Aaron asked. “I slept in, did you too?”

Selina looked at him and continued up the steps silently.

“What time did you sleep last night? I was up all night talking with my grandpa. He’s really funny. Oh you should meet him sometime,” Aaron told.

Without saying anymore Selina headed down a different hallway than Aaron. Aaron turned to watch Selina’s back then he quickly glanced down at his watch.

“I’m almost late!” Aaron exclaimed and ran toward his class.

In the last class before lunch Aaron figured maybe he’d try to get to know Selina better. He decided he’d take her out for lunch. When he rushed out of class into the hallway he looked around for Selina, but before he could even find her Hebe found him.

“Hey Aaron where were you this morning?” asked Hebe.

“Oh I was running late again,” Aaron told.

“I called you last night, but they said you weren’t home,” Hebe said.

“I was out having dinner with my dad,” Aaron lied.

“Lets go out for lunch,” Hebe suggested, “or should we eat inside the school?”

“I was going to go look for a friend,” Aaron lied again.

“Is your friend more important than me?” Hebe pressed.

Aaron made a face and decided he wouldn’t be able to get away, “Where do you want to go?”

Selina walked silently beside Danson who was cracking jokes she wasn’t paying attention to. She came to an abrupt stop as she recognized Aaron ahead of her. He was talking to a girl, probably his girlfriend.

“What are you stopping for?” Danson suddenly asked.

“Lets go that way,” Selina said not wanting Aaron to see her.

“But why? The cafeteria is that way,” Danson told. “Come on hurry up.”

“Just…” Selina began, but Danson grabbed her arm leading her ahead.

“Is there someone you don’t want to see or what?” Danson joked. “Lets have pizza today. Or maybe some soup and a salad…”

Selina turned her face away from Aaron as she walked pass him.

Hebe grabbed Aaron’s arm, “Lets go to the restaurant we always go to.”

“Ok,” Aaron agreed and turned.

As he did so he recognized Selina. His eyes followed her then he finally noticed that a guy was with her.

“Who’s he?” Aaron wondered.

“Why are you spacing out?” Hebe asked breaking his thought.

“Oh yea,” Aaron said and walked toward the stairs taking a last glance back.

Selina tapped her fingers on her desk bored as the professor rambled on about market sales and so on. Aaron who was sitting at the back leaned forward on his desk and stared at Selina’s back. He wondered if she was as bored as he was. Actually if he thought hard about it now he didn’t mind marrying someone who was older. It’d be kind of cool he figured.

“What are you thinking about?” Hebe asked looking over.

Aaron turned surprised, “Oh…nothing.”

“Then why are you smiling to yourself?” asked Hebe. “Are you thinking of a surprise for me?”

Aaron laughed nervously and turned away scolding himself.

“Wait…smiling? No way…” he thought silently.

By the end of class Danson and Selina walked out together.

“Hey,” Selina said turning around, “how about we go out for a drink next weekend?”

“Ok,” Danson agreed readily. “It’s your last week right? The usual place?”

“Be there by 7. Don’t let me remind you,” Selina told.

“I have a pretty darn good memory,” Danson said as they walked down the hallway.

Aaron quickly headed out into the hallway wondering if he’d be able to catch up with Selina. He glanced into the crowd to see Selina walking ahead with Danson.

“I might be able to catch up to her anyway,” Aaron thought to himself.

As he took a step forward Hebe walked out of the classroom, “Are you in a hurry?”

“What? No,” Aaron lied suddenly remembering Hebe.

“Walk me to class,” Hebe urged.

“Oh…ok,” Aaron agreed.

-_-

[Selina’s bedroom]

Selina walked in through the front doors and headed upstairs to her bedroom. She dropped face down onto her bed feeling exhausted. She glanced at the clock to find that it was 9: 00. She took a breath of air and rolled over to sit up. As she pushed her hair behind her ears the door opened and her mother walked in.

“You’re not tired are you?” her mother asked.

“I was about to go to…” Selina started.

“Good. I need you to send some papers over to Chairman Yan’s house,” Mrs. Ren told.

“Why don’t you do it yourself? My legs hurt and…” Selina started, but got cut off again.

“How can you say that to your own mother?” questioned Mrs. Ren. “This obviously won’t take more than an hour.”

“But mom…” Selina started again.

“Just go ok?” Mrs. Ren said. “I’ll leave the folders here for you.”

Selina watched as her mother left and dropped backwards onto her bed. She let out a loud moan.