Desire 45

All I Want...

Hebe watched blankly wondering what he meant by the dramatic. Hebe turned around to look at Aaron and he walked over slowly.

“What’d he say?” Aaron asked.

“He knows what happened,” Hebe said pointing to the man who was heading their way.

“Hi all! What can I do for you?” Jim seemed pretty nice.

“The other night…was there a girl with about long hair that came to see him?” Hebe asked pointing to Aaron.

“Oh you? You were pretty drunk!” Jim said looking at Aaron. “Yea there was this pretty gal that came in.”

“What happened?” Aaron cut in before Hebe could say anything.

Jim put his finger on his chin as he thought back, “I noticed she was crying and I think she was trying to wake you up, but you were dead drunk! Then…there was this other man that came and he took her away…but before she left she’d asked me to call a taxi for you and she even requested for them to take you inside your home. You kids have quiet some drama rolling.”

“Oh…” was what Aaron could manage.

Before they turned away Hebe called back to Jim.

“Was that man…did he have hair like this?” Hebe asked as she put her hand over her hand and tried to draw out Jiro’s hairstyle.

“Somewhat…rebellious and his hair stuck out,” Jim told.

Hebe nodded and thanked Jim before he walked away. Hebe turned to look at Aaron and noticing the lost expression on his face she felt a little hurt. He wasn’t thinking about her…Hebe shook her head to remind herself she was doing this for Aaron.  

Hebe followed Aaron outside and they stood there for a few minutes. Everything was silent and the cold air was coming in.

“Who is he?” Hebe asked. “The guy that came to take Selina…you know him don’t you?”

Aaron stayed silent. He was amazed and surprised at the fact that Selina had actually come…to see him. He regretted being so drunk.

“Is he the same person that came to your house?” Hebe asked.

“Jiro…he’s Selina’s ex boyfriend,” Aaron answered. “But they’re going to get married soon.”

“Is that why you’ve been so down?” asked Hebe feeling hurt herself.

Aaron slowly nodded his head.

“But if you like her that much…why don’t you just run for her?” Hebe asked. “It’s obvious that guy’s trying to bully you. Why don’t you do something for yourself?”

“I’m just a kid in their eyes…like what kids are to us. They don’t take me seriously,” Aaron told lowering his hopes.

“But she came didn’t she?” Hebe asked.

“Maybe she thought I was going to kill myself and she just came.” Aaron replied.

Hebe turned away then back to Aaron. She shoved him and slapped his arm suddenly.

“I tried hard for you, but I didn’t get your affection,” Hebe told with water eyes, “have you tried for her? I’m sorry I pushed my way into your life. Maybe it’s my fault you’re like this now. I’m trying hard to get you back together so why can’t you try along with me?”

Aaron looked down at Hebe surprised at her.

Hebe wiped her tears and looked up at Aaron, “It was clear for me to see. When you were still married…it was easy for me to see…she had affection for you too.”

-_-

[Selina’s Room]

Selina turned so that she was lying on her back. She stared up at her hand and sighed. She hadn’t been able to fall asleep. Would Aaron still be asleep? Selina to her side wondering why she was thinking of him again. Then suddenly his words came back flooding in her mind. But he was badly drunk that night he couldn’t have possibly meant them right? Selina sighed and turned so she was laying on her stomach.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron rubbed his neck as she dropped onto the couch. It was hard for him to accept the fact that Selina cared. He felt happy at the same time as he was depressed about her and Jiro being together. Maybe she would really get married soon if he didn’t do anything. Aaron sighed and shut his eyes falling asleep.

It wasn’t till hours later that he was awoken from the house phone ringing. No one barely called the house phone anymore. Before he reached it the phone already stopped ringing and within a second his cell phone started ringing. He reached into his pocket and looked at the caller id. All it said was Taipei call.

“Hello?” Aaron answered.

“I’m from the Taipei Hospital. Your grandpa has just been admitted into the hospital and he needs to go into surgery. You’re a family member right?” the nurse asked.

“Yes,” Aaron answered immediately feeling very alarmed.

“Can you come down here right away?”

-_-

[Grocery Store]

Selina walked down the aisles feeling bored and thirsty. She stopped in front of the tea section suddenly thinking of Grandpa Yan. Had he run out of his Ginseng tea yet?

-_-

[Yan Household]

Selina rang the door bell a few times before the maid finally opened the door.

“You’re here again?” the maid asked.

Selina smiled and nodded.

“Aaron’s father is out of town right now…” the maid began.

“Is Grandpa Yan in?” asked Selina. “I’m actually here for him.”

The maid looked kind of uncomfortable, “He hasn’t been feeling well these days. You know he’s been talking a lot about your and Aaron’s divorce. I think he’s been really worried about you two…”

“Is he in?” Selina questioned.

“He…he had a heart attack a while ago…he’s in the hospital right now,” the maid replied.

-_-

[Taipei Hospital]

Selina hurried down the white hallways passing patients, doctors, and nurses. She came to a stop when she recognized Aaron sitting on a chair staring at the ground. To her he looked worn out and tired. Should she approach him? Would it be ok to? Selina took a breath wondering why she was hesitating and walked down the hallway.

Aaron looked up and turned his head to the right to see her walking toward him. Selina paused a little bit as she looked back at him.

“Is…grandpa alright?” Selina asked.

“They said he should be fine afer a small operation on his chest,” Aaron replied and turned away.

He himself didn’t know what to do when Selina had arrived. Selina pressed her lips together and sat on the empty chair to his left. They listened to the echoing chatters of doctors and nurses and the footsteps of everyone else.

Curious as to how Aaron was Selina turned to look at him. He was so still and quiet just glancing at the ground. He was leaning forward with his elbows resting on his legs. She noticed his hair had gotten a little longer…did he get skinnier?

“Are you ok?” Selina asked.

Aaron felt shaky. He felt afraid and unsafe. He just wasn’t feeling well. It seemed as if his throat was clogged up.

“Is grandpa going to be ok?” Aaron choked out the words. “Father isn’t in town…what if something happens?”

Seeing how down he was Selina could feel what was going through his mind. She wanted to comfort him. Without thinking beforehand Selina reached out and pulled Aaron toward her. Holding him against her shoulder Selina leaned her head against his to comfort herself also. She felt his stiff shoulders become loose once he let out a silent cry. Selina smiled weakly and patted his shoulder.

“It’s ok. Grandpa’s going to be ok…” Selina said.