Desire 15

All I Want...

“You can buy more next time,” Selina told. “I bought them this time around so to make it fair you buy them next time.”

“I don’t think us shopping is a good idea,” Aaron told.

“Why not?” Selina wondered.

“We’ll only end up buying junk food,” Aaron pointed out.

“I guess so, but food is food,” Selina told. “Ella made me full. I’m probably going to gain weight.”

“Weight is good,” Aaron told. “Do you want more milk?”

Selina shook her head no, “I’m going to sleep.”

“Oh ok,” Aaron replied.

He watched as Selina got up from her chair and placed her empty cup into the sink. As Selina walked out Aaron finished the rest of the cookies. Somehow he didn’t get tired of the cookies and he felt a little joyful eating with Selina. An hour later after Aaron had showered and was laying on the couch he ran the whole day over in his mind. He quickly sat up remembering that his father had called. Aaron made his way up the stairs toward Selina’s bedroom. Finding the door unlocked he opened it to find Selina sleeping neatly inside.

“I guess I’ll ask her tomorrow,” Aaron told himself and closed the door.

“Hey hurry up and eat breakfast,” Selina told as she lightly shook Aaron awake.

“Huh?” Aaron asked confused about what was going on since he just woke up.

“Your father called saying we’re having dinner tonight, but we have to go to my house first,” Selina told then lightly slapped Aaron across the arm. “Are you awake? Are you listening to me?”

“Umm…yea,” Aaron rubbed his eyes as he sat up.

“Go wash up,” Selina told and walked back into the kitchen.

-_-

[Ren Household]

After breakfast Selina hurried Aaron out. He still felt sleepy even as he sat in the car. It was already lunch time and he still felt tired. Selina stopped in front of her house and got out.

“You’re coming?” Selina asked as Aaron got out of the car.

“Well…I don’t know…you didn’t say anything,” Aaron told.

“Hurry up,” Selina ushered and walked into her house.

“Why are you coming here?” Aaron questioned.

“To get some business stuff,” Selina told. “You wait here.”

Aaron stood in front of a long thin book shelf and stared up at the family picture hung above it. It was the first time he’d seen Selina’s younger sister. Though they looked alike Kate’s face was a little rounder. Selina hurried down the stairs and stopped as Aaron turned toward her pointing to the picture.

“Is that your younger sister?” asked Aaron.

Selina walked toward him and turned to look at the picture.

“Yea. You probably heard about her. If she was still alive today you’d be married to her,” Selina told.

“I think it’s better this way,” Aaron told.

“We should get going,” Selina told holding tightly onto her binders.

She wasn’t sure about what Aaron had said. It made her feel weird to wonder why he’d said that.

“It’s still early. Why are you so rushed?” asked Aaron.

“Your father misses you,” Selina told, “he probably wants to see you.”

“Don’t your parents miss you?” Aaron asked as they headed out the door.

“I think you have a much better relationship with the elders than I do,” Selina told.

-_-

[Yan Household]

When they got to Aaron’s house Mr. Yan greeted Aaron excitedly and warmly. Selina stood aside and watched with a small smile. It was always a “Good you’re home I need you to do this for me” sort of thing she received from her parents.

Mr. Yan turned to Selina, “It looks like you’ve been taking good care of Aaron.”

“It’s nothing,” Selina replied.

“Come on into the kitchen. We’re just about to eat,” Mr. Yan told.

“Weren’t we having dinner?” asked Aaron.

“We’re having brunch instead. I have a meeting later on. The house has been really quiet without you around,” Mr. Yan told.

Aaron smiled, “Has it?”

“Has it been lively with Aaron around?” Mr. Yan asked.

“You can say so…” Selina told.

“Well look at who’s here,” Grandpa Yan said as they entered the kitchen.

“Aaron’s been doing well dad. I have a pretty good daughter in law,” Mr. Yan said taking a seat.

He was already sitting in his chair with a smile. Selina took her seat next to Aaron quietly.

“Has the cat caught your tongue?” questioned Grandpa Yan.

“Huh?” Selina asked.

Grandpa Yan smiled, “You’ve been quiet. Is something wrong?”

“Oh no, nothing,” Selina replied.

“Selina I heard your dad gave you a new project to work on. How’s that going?” asked Mr. Yan.

“I’m still looking for ideas,” Selina told.

“It takes a while doesn’t it? Your father told me he wanted to give you something challenging,” Mr. Yan told.

“Well…actually I don’t want to do it,” Selina admitted. “My father gave me a week to do it, but I haven’t been able to think of anything.”

“Why don’t you ask Aaron for opinions? He’s very creative,” Mr. Yan told.

“He should just focus on his studies. I don’t want to bother him with these business issues,” Selina told.

“I can help too,” Aaron said.

“Is there anything other than business to talk about?” Grandpa Yan asked.

“Sorry dad,” said Mr. Yan.

“Aaron probably hasn’t told you anything about his life right?” asked Grandpa Yan.

Selina listened as Grandpa Yan told about how Aaron’s mom passed away and about his environment of growing up. Selina found that he wasn’t too different from her. He’d helped run errands for his father’s business voluntarily, but spent most of his time at home studying. On the other hand Selina studied and worked, but those weren’t given choices for her.

Mr. Yan gave his warm farewells to both Selina and Aaron before leaving. Mr. Yan had advised Selina to give tea to Grandpa Yan as it was his resting hours. As the maid left to clean Selina prepared tea in the kitchen and placing it on a tray brought it to Grandpa Yan’s room.

“Where’s Aaron?” asked Grandpa Yan sitting on a couch by the foot of his bed.

Selina set the tray down on a table in front of him.

“I heard you like tea,” Selina told.

Grandpa Yan laughed heartedly, “Call me grandpa. We’re family now.”

“Oh…ok…” Selina replied unsure of what to do.

She poured the tea into a small cup and handed it to Grandpa Yan.

“Take a seat.” Grandpa Yan invited.

Selina took a seat hesitantly next to him. They sat in silence as Grandpa Yan sipped his tea.

“Would you like to have some too?” questioned Grandpa Yan after a while.

“Sorry I don’t like tea,” Selina replied.

“I guess youngsters these days drink more coffee,” Grandpa Yan told. “So when are you going to bring me a great grandchild?”

Selina’s eyes widened and she turned to look at Grandpa Yan surprised.

“Well what’s there to be shy of?” asked Grandpa Yan. “I shouldn’t have to wait too long right?”

“I don’t know…” Selina replied.

“Grandpa Yan,” Grandpa Yan told. “I’d like to hear you say that, great daughter in law.”

Selina looked at him then quietly said, “Grandpa Yan.”

Grandpa Yan smiled and laughed then gave a long slow sigh, “Life is really long and full of regrets don’t you think?”

Silent Selina turned to look at him acknowledging what he’d just said.

“I know it’s wrong of your parents to put the two of you in this situation. Don’t you hate it when they say nothing is fair? But due to business matters nothing matters except for the wins right?” Grandpa Yan went on. “Aaron’s grandma and I were once in the same position as you two right now.”

Selina felt herself become more attentive.

“The only regret I have is that we started loving each other when we were already old,” Grandpa Yan told. “And you see she didn’t stay long with me either.”

Aaron suddenly appeared at the doorway, “What regret?”

“Oh Aaron where were you?” questioned Grandpa Yan.

“I went to visit my room,” Aaron replied. “What were you two talking about?”

“We were just talking about how bad of a husband you are,” Grandpa Yan lied playfully.

Selina couldn’t help, but giggle a little.

Aaron made a face and sat on the other side of his grandpa.

“What have I done wrong?” Aaron told. “Stop lying grandpa.”

Grandpa Yan smiled tiredly, “You two must be thinkingn about how stressful everything is right?”

“I’m not thinking that,” Aaron told.

Grandpa Yan put his hand on Aaron’s shoulder, “I know. I just wanted to say you two are married now. It’s a fact you’ll have to face and live with. You two are walking down the same path. It’s not just painful and hard for either of you, but both of you. I wanted to tell you both to try and accept each other no matter the differences or anger. I want to see you living together happily or maybe you’ll end up like me.”

Grandpa Yan reached for both of their hands and placed them together. Selina glanced down at their hands and quickly glanced at Aaron and Grandpa Yan.

“Love each other ok?” Grandpa Yan told. “But before you two separate don’t forget to bring me my great grandchild.”

“Grandpa!” Aaron scolded.

Selina let out a small laugh, but found herself feeling troubled. She knew how things were to be. She knew she was supposed to give him a chance. She didn’t need anyone to repeat it to her, but how come whenever she tried going deeper into the marriage she was starting to feel guilty. Both for Aaron and for Jiro.