Desire 23

All I Want...

-_-

[Ren Enterprise]

Selina was just about finished with the bunch of binders sitting in front of her when her phone rang. She felt flustered and angered at the fact that she had actually taken off from work for the one week vacation with Ella and Chun. Coming back she found that she had a dozen of papers to read and fill out. Even as the morning passed by she hadn’t even finished half of them.

“Yes?” she answered her phone with a tired tone.

“Where are you?” it was Danson.

“Where else?” Selina asked.

She could make out Danson laughing on the other side of the line.

“Want to go out for lunch?” Danson questioned.

“I can’t,” Selina mumbled.

“It won’t take long,” Danson told.

“I said no,” Selina repeated herself. “You should really find a girlfriend for yourself.”

“I don’t need one,” Danson replied. “Come out ok? It’ll take less than half an hour.”

Selina could feel her anger turn into a frustrated headache.

“Forget it,” Selina told. “Find another girl to accompany you. Why are you always bothering me?”

“Can’t a friend accompany another friend?” Danson asked.

“Look I have a lot of stuff to do ok? I’m hanging up now,” Selina told.

“Where were you last weekend?” asked Danson. “You could have told me. I got worried when I couldn’t find you at work. It sort of now that you don’t work evenings anymore.”

Selina rubbed her forehead as she reminded herself to remain calm with Danson.

“Where were you? I didn’t see Aaron in school either.” Danson went on.

“Why should I report to you where I’m going?” Selina asked.

“What if Jiro suddenly returns?” questioned Danson.

Selina rolled her eyes, “Jiro will not be coming back this soon! It’s none of your business!”

“I just want to know where you went. Is it wrong for me to ask?” asked Danson.

“Yes! Because you’re not my owner!” Selina said with anger and irritation in her voice.

“His girlfriend seems to be very angry, but clueless about you,” Danson said.

“I’m sorry, but you’re getting on my nerves,” Selina said and shut her cell phone.

After the talk with Danson she found that she couldn’t concentrate anymore. It had been a long time since she’d thought of Aaron’s girlfriend. Since the marriage she had thought that maybe Aaron had already broke off with her, but it turns out she was wrong. Was the marriage too hard on Aaron? Why did it matter anyway? There was nothing Selina could do when Hebe would find out. Obviously she would blow.

-_-

[Taipei University]

After picking up Aaron Selina could feel that same awkward silence sit in between them. They did not talk. Selina had expected Aaron to start speaking about school, but all remained silent. Selina guessed maybe something had happened, but what could she do. Even she felt weird if she asked about Hebe.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron had stopped doing his homework for quite a while now. He was lost in thoughts. He was sure that his feelings for Hebe had already died down. Everytime he neared her nowadays his usual sparks never appeared anymore. He really didn’t know how to break it to her. He guessed maybe he was scared of her reaction. Would she cry? Or would it be that she’d be angry?

Selina who was sitting on the other couch with her binders spread out in front of her had already realized that Aaron wasn’t doing his homework like he was supposed to be, but it didn’t bother her. Though her fingers kept moving and she kept flipping through the papers she was also blindly lost in her thoughts. Was Aaron having a hard time keeping up with his marriage life, school, and his private life? Unconciously she was beginning to worry. He was still young, but is he facing too much stress? Would it give him stress?

“Why am I thinking this?” Selina suddenly asked aloud.

She paused and turned to look at Aaron as he turned to stare at her in surprise.

“What are you thinking about?” Aaron questioned.

“Uh…” Selina began. “Nothing.” Then after some silence she went on. “Your girlfriend…what’s her name?”

“Hebe,” Aaron suddenly replied, “but why are you asking?”

Selina blinked her eyes blankly, “Uh…nothing. It’s nothing.”

They were quiet for a moment then suddenly in unison asked, “Would you mind if I ask…”

They stopped in the middle of their sentence.

“You go ahead,” Aaron told.

“You and her…you didn’t break it off yet did you?” Selina asked slowly yet shyly.

“No,” Aaron replied then quickly added, “but I will. I will I just haven’t found the right time. I promise I will tell her.”

“I…I’m not forcing you…” Selina quickly added also in case Aaron would take her words a different way.

They sat in complete silence again.

-_-

[Taipei University]

Danson couldn’t help, but feel envy and jealousy over Aaron. Everyday Aaron seemed so happy and he was always smiling. It made Danson wonder what he and Selina did when they were alone. Ever since Selina had gotten married Selina hadn’t spent a single lunch time alone with him. He didn’t even know what her actual address was. At first he had figured out that if she couldn’t get over Jiro maybe he could turn Selina around to fall for him, but Aaron had to come along. Now all Danson could do was remain a friend at her side. It hurt him too because he had never liked any other girl as much as Selina. Maybe if he never introduced Jiro to her in the first place she would be his by now. Anyhow with the way things were now he wouldn’t let Selina fall for a kid like Aaron. He would make time wait for Jiro.

Just as Danson had predicted Aaron came walking down the hallway with that exchanged student beside him.

“Hey Aaron,” Danson called out.

Aaron came to a stop and Danson noticed a warning look in Sun Mi’s eyes. He figured the girl still probably had something against him since he tried to steal her shrimp.

“Lets meet after school.” Danson told. “We need to talk.”

Aaron stared at Danson blankly. Danson pressed his lips together tensely and walked pass him. However Aaron didn’t think too much about Danson’s words as Selina had warned  before to ignore him. Aaron found Danson waiting by the staircase after school.

“You wanted to talk?” asked Aaron.

Danson turned toward Aaron, “I’m warning you don’t go too near Selina.”

Aaron smiled childishly as he did not take Danson’s words seriously, “Why?”

“Kids,” Danson mumbled then turned back to Aaron, “her life is ruined mostly because of you.”

Aaron’s smile disappeared yet he remained calm, “How am I ruining her life?”

“You probably don’t know she still has a man in her life do you?” Danson asked.

Another man…Aaron suddenly felt as if he was running through a maze. He had never thought of any possibility that Selina had ever dated.

Danson smiled, “Guess not. Maybe it was a week before she married you her parents sent him away. As you can guess her parents had a big disliking for him and you know I am Selina’s friend after all. There’s been many times where I’ve seen her cry over him dozens of times.”

“What does that have to do with me?” asked Aaron.

“Don’t you get it?” Danson asked. “If he comes back and finds out that Selina is married what do you think will happen? What’ll she do? You’re the reason why she’ll never find happiness in her life.”