Desire 37

All I Want...

Selina paused by the window and glanced in. Aaron was laughing the smile she hadn’t seen for the past few days. Hebe was leaning over the couch. Was she whispering something into his ear?

“Selina?” a voice called out.

Selina turned to see Ella walking toward her.

“What are you doing out here?” Ella asked.

Selina smiled weakly as she made her way over to Ella.

“Oh my…what’s wrong? You don’t look good,” Ella said.

“I’m probably going to move back to my house,” Selina told with her voice shaking.

“What? Why? Are you and Aaron breaking up?” Ella asked.

Selina threw her arms around Ella hoping for some comfort then started crying.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Ella asked patting Selina’s back.

“I’m just…going to miss you,” Selina cried.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

It was getting dark and Selina hadn’t returned. Aaron glanced at the clock in the kitchen wondering where she was. The door finally opened five seconds later and Aaron quickly turned around to pretend he hadn’t been waiting for her. He poured himself a cup of water as Selina walked in.

“You two seem very compatible,” Selina told, “lets do it…” Selina paused. “Lets get a divorce.”

Aaron paused and froze for a long time. He felt his heartbeat quicken. Suddenly his thoughts cried out. He didn’t want a divorce, but as he turned around Selina was no longer standing behind him.

They spent the next few days in silence. Selina had already begun to pack up her belongings and all Aaron could bring himself to do was stand and watch her. They had a silent dinner together an hour before Selina would move out.

Before going into her car she paused and turned around as if to say something to him, but nothing came out of . What was she supposed to say? See you again at court? Selina couldn’t even laugh as she thought of that. Aaron watched as Selina’s car disappeared into the street.

Aaron wasn’t sure as to why Selina was the first to leave. They hadn’t talked it out or anything. He paused in front of the bedroom. His heart felt like it was bleeding. It felt painful and tears reached his eyes as he looked inside the room. He missed her already.

-_-

[Selina’s Bedroom]

It was a good thing her parents weren’t home. She didn’t feel like answering any of their questionings. Selina set her bag on the ground in her room and went to lay down on her bed. It was a sudden impulse to move. She couldn’t stand being around Aaron any longer. Looking at him made her feel so sad and disappointed with herself. Besides he would be better off without her.

-_-

[Outside the Courthouse]

Signing the papers and all went by quickly. Selina later found herself standing atop the stairs with Aaron. They glanced at each other quickly and looked away. They weren’t sure of what to say to each other. The silent pain they were feeling seemed to envelope their whole body.

“I hope you can have a happy future,” Aaron said hardly looking at her.

Selina tried to smile but failed, “Goodluck.”

With that Selina turned around and headed toward the car that was waiting for her. Aaron watched the car drive off feeling empty inside. What was left of him now?

-_-

[Selina’s Bedroom]

She entered the house quickly as her legs were moving fast. It was just to her luck that her mother hadn’t left the house yet. Noticing the hurt look on Selina’s face made Mrs. Ren wonder what had happened.

“Selina are you alright? What happened?” asked Mrs. Ren following Selina to the stairs.

Without answering Selina rushed to her room closing the door loudly behind her and locking it. She walked toward her bed and dropped onto her knees on the ground. They were now officially divorced. Selina put her hand over to quiet the sobs that were coming as fast tears fell. Did she miss him already? She hardly slept the night before as she recalled the memories at Chun’s resort.  

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron shut the door behind him and headed up the stairs. He had slept on the couch last night as he couldn’t bear to enter the bedroom. He glanced around feeling the loneliness starting to close in. Aaron sat on the bed wondering what he’d do now. As he glanced around the room he noticed a bag sitting in the corner. Did Selina leave something behind? As Aaron took the bag he found there was a tag on it with his name. He quickly reached in and took out a white box. After opening the box he found a glass figure. Just one look at it and he recognized it. He’d seen a sketch of it on Selina’s notepad before. Aaron smiled as he read the “I give my heart to you”.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

A few weeks had passed by and Aaron had reluctantly got back with Hebe. He had not moved back to his own house yet. The summer days that were just beginning were hot and humid. Aaron had started getting up early and he had even started learning how to cook. He believed he had improved his skills with the stove. He hadn’t contacted Selina and she hadn’t contacted him. He couldn’t help, but still think of her daily, and he missed her.

He’d gone out jogging that weekend and during the evening he’d gone out shopping with Hebe. As they walked along the aisles he paused to look at the tea section suddenly thinking of his grandpa.  

-_-

[Yan Household]

Aaron found his grandpa in his bedroom. He looked worse than the last time Aaron had seen him.

“There you are! I was wondering when my grandson would come,” Grandpa Yan said with a smile. “Come sit.”

“How’ve you been doing grandpa?” Aaron questioned. “You don’t look too good.”

Grandpa Yan smiled, “You two are certainly alike. You don’t need to worry about me. You should worry more about yourself.”

Aaron became confused at who his grandpa was comparing him to, but he’d let it slip as his grandpa went on.

“Aren’t you sad Aaron?” Grandpa Yan said. “You youngsters must have had a lot of hard time adapting eh?”

Aaron smiled, “What is it grandpa?”

“I just feel…” Grandpa Yan stopped as a large nasty sounding coughed formed in his throat.

“Are you ok?” Aaron asked as he got up to pat his grandpa’s back.

Grandpa Yan nodded, “Thank you.”

Grandpa Yan looked at the couch by the foot of his bed to see that Aaron had a white bag with him.

“What’s that?” Grandpa Yan asked. “Something for me?”

Aaron looked back suddenly remembering what he’d come for and grabbed the bag.

“I saw some tea on sale at the mart and I bought it for you,” Aaron told. “It should help keep you healthy and young grandpa.”

Grandpa Yan laughed then reached behind him. Aaron stared at the box of tea packets.

“Selina seems to have beaten you at it,” Grandpa Yan said.

Aaron stared at the box stunned and shocked that Selina had visited. He also felt disappointed that he hadn’t come in time to see her.

“What is it? Disappointed?” Grandpa Yan asked. “I know that face. If you hurry up you might be able to catch her.”

Aaron found himself rushing out of the house and into the street. He looked around the whole block, but didn’t find Selina anywhere. Aaron stopped and wanted to laugh at himself. She probably didn’t want him to see her and yet he was still chasing her like a dog.

“You should just quit it Aaron,” he told himself.

Sighing he turned around heading back to his own car and yet he didn’t notice that Selina’s car had driven passed him.