The Ice Fairy

Fairies

 

 

Chorong and Bomi walked into an alleyway tucked deep into the busy city of Seoul, it was far from the noise and seemed rather secluded and run-down. Along the path were closed-down shops that seemed to bear a history in within, a scent of tradition could be seen from the atmosphere itself. Soon, the girls stopped in front of a two-storey building. The first floor was a closed store, seemingly a watch shop judging from the window frame. At the side was a stairway upstairs, leading into a tight hallway where two doors were located. It was rather dim, only a mere lamp hung on the ceiling and there was a strange, rotting scent.

"Are you sure this is your home?" asked Chorong, slightly suspicious yet confused at where the girl brought her.

"Of course, it is." said Bomi as the two stopped in front of the door on the left. The girl began to dig inside her pockets, in search of her key.

Chorong carefully looked around the area, it was much different to what she had expected. She wondered who would stay in a run-down place like this, besides Bomi. Staring deeply at the other door, the girl was curious.

"Unnie. The door is open." said Bomi as she managed to find and unlock the door.

"Bom-ah, who lives over there?" asked Chorong as she pointed.

"Let's not....talk about that unnie..." said Bomi silently as she pulled Chorong inside, quickly locking back the door. The older girl stared at her and wondered whether it was something she wasn't supposed to ask. Maybe one day, she would reveal the secret herself. As she turned around, Bomi's small apartment home was a simple, two-room space. A common area and a bathroom, just perfect for one person. Two mattresses were laid flat on the ground, empty cup noodles scattered all over the floor as dirt and mould was everywhere. It was a mess. It was a clear representation of Bomi's carefree personality.

"Feel free to make yourself at home unnie" said Bomi as she messily took the cup noodles towards the sink, flustered and wondered how to clean the whole mess.

"You don't need to do that Bom-ah, I'm already thankful that you're letting me stay here."

"Well unnie, I forgot to tell you that I'm living with my childhood friend."

"Huh?"

"D-Don't worry! I'm sure she wouldn't mind...I think..." laughed Bomi nervously as she scratched her head.

"I should've known..." sighed Chorong with a speechless laughter, of course the fool Bomi would've forgotten important matters like these before inviting someone over.

"Oh! Since I have powers now, I always wanted to try this unnie!" said Bomi as she suddenly turned around with a bright grin written all over her face.

"Bom-ah, this power you have is not a toy. It can kill people too." warned Chorong.

"I know unnie. I just wanted to try it once." said Bomi with a laughter as she switched off the lights and pointed her finger towards the hanging lamp on the ceiling. All of a sudden, a bright bolt of light struck towards the lamp and sent electricity, lighting the room.

"WOW! THIS IS SO COOL!!" shouted Bomi in excitement as she spreading her arms. Before any other destruction could happen, Chorong immediately tugged Bomi's collar and pulled her towards the floor, stopping her wild power from going lose. The two girls were against the floor, staring at each other blankly. For a moment, there was silence and all they could hear were their own heartbeats, beating rapidly.

"L-Like I said, you need to control your power Bom-ah!" stuttered Chorong nervously as she quickly stood up, her cheeks burning red.

"Sorry hehe...your face is red unnie. It's cute." said Bomi with a wide smile.

"W-What is with you?" said Chorong as she turned her head away, facing the door.

"Hey Bom-ah, you didn't lock the door properly again I told you so many times to-" a girl suddenly appeared as the door opened. She seemed rather short yet had a boyish look. Her school uniform was the same as Bomi's, her hair was tied into a ponytail and had visible muscular features around her arms and thighs.

"Oh, Eunji-ya!" said Bomi as she walked towards the girl but was immediately grabbed by the ear.

"Hey. Yoon Bomi. Who told you to simply invite anyone into the room? Did you just randomly found her on the streets? She is not a puppy." whispered Eunji with a seemingly unpleasant smile.

"No~that's not it Eunji-ya....I met her today and she didn't have a place to stay so..."

"Just met her today....meaning she's a stranger. Didn't I tell you not to trust whatever random people on the street say?"

"Eunji-ya...can we just let her stay? Please...I'll tell you the reasons later..." pouted Bomi as she pleaded to her friend like a puppy.

Eunji looked at Bomi and then, turned her eyes to Chorong. She examined her from head to toe and walked into the room without an answer, simply a sigh. She tossed her entire body towards the matteress and decided not to care much already.

"Whatever Bom-ah, I'm going to sleep. Not a good day today. Don't talk to me." said Eunji as she closed her eyes. Chorong stayed quiet, feeling awkward with the sudden appearence of another girl.

"Why? Did something happen with Naeunie again?" said Bomi as her cheerful expression stiffened.

"Yep. The usual thing. I'm going to sleep, don't wake me up." said Eunji as she turned to her side, it was obvious she did not want to be disturbed. 

Bomi pouted in response, poking the mattress like a puppy who got ignored by its master. Chorong chuckled softly, finding this behaviour of Bomi rather adorable. However, the younger girl noticed something strange on Eunji's school blouse. There were bits of ice stuck through the cloth and it definitely didn't look like normal ice. It was ice that could not be melted.

"Eunji-ya...what's this on your shirt?" mumbled Bomi as she grabbed the piece of ice, that was as hard as a rock. Chorong who saw this, could feel that it was a work of a fairy's power. Eunji however, did not answer. Within just three seconds, the girl was already fast into dreamland.

"Unnie, I forget to tell you that the moment Eunji sleeps, she can never be woken up. It's impossible. I swear one day, I'm not even going to be surprised if she gets kidnapped." said Bomi as she turned to the older girl, whose expression turned serious and was deep in thought. Bomi looked at the ice pieces in her hand and wondered about what Chorong had told her earlier, about having special abilities. The truth was, Bomi knew from the beginning that Naeun was trying to hide something. She knew that Naeun had these weird powers.

"This ice..." said Chorong as she too, picked up the ice and scanned it. 

"Unnie. I think you might need to know this." said Bomi as for the first time, the usually bright girl turned serious.

"What is it Bom-ah?"

"Actually....."

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

(One afternoon at Hanlim Arts High School)

 

 

It was lunch break and girls began to gang up on Naeun again, pushing her towards the corner into a secluded area, away from the noisy, packed classrooms. It was located at the garbage disposal area, where cleaners would drop off any waste left from school. Almost no one goes there. However, this was a perfect spot for Bomi to skip classes and just take a nap there. The smell never bothered her at all. She was hiding behind a huge, disposal bin when she could hear noises and girls shouting. Taking a peek, it was Naeun and the girls.

"Not them again.." thought Bomi to herself. She and Eunji, were the few friends that welcomed Naeun with open arms despite the jealousy and hatred spreading around the school compound. They always protected her, supported her and was always there for her. The three went through a lot of trouble together and that was how they had a close bond. 

Before Bomi could step out to fight the girls, she could hear a loud shout as sounds of metal clattered and echoed. As expected, Eunji was there to save her. It was always her. Bomi was always one second late to the rescue, even though at times, she too, wanted to be the hero at least once. She trusted Eunji, knowing her from childhood, she could handle this by herself. Still quietly observing the fight, Eunji went up against seven girls at once. Fighting with her usual weapon, the good'old broom, Bomi smiled and felt proud looking at her friend. However, the battle suddenly changed its tables as one of the girls took out a camping knife from her pocket.

"You think you're so strong now huh?" said a girl as she ed the knife forward, towards Eunji's face. The knife lightly scrapped through the skin of Eunji's cheek, which cause it to bled. Bomi knew she had to step in and stop the fight but, before she could do anything, she froze upon what she saw. Naeun who was in tears and witnessed the fight with her own eyes, was terrified in absolute fear and terror. Emotions gathered her and the ground was suddenly covered in crystal, clear ice. The girls didn't even have time to spare as the ice grabbed hold and froze their entire bodies completely. Eunji however, was untouched and instead, was completely shocked at what she saw.

"Stop it....Make it stop.....Please stop....Don't....hurt...her" sobbed Naeun uncontrollably who closed her eyes, tears flowing through her cheeks as she shivered.

"It's okay Naeun-ah. It's okay. I'm here. I'm fine. Don't worry. They won't hurt you anymore. They won't. " said Eunji as she immediately ran towards the girl and put her into an embrace.

The frightened girl who took a moment to catch a breath, finally realised what she did.

"U-Unnie....what did I just..." said Naeun as her eyes widened.

"I...don't know what happened but...we should get out of here as fast as we can." said Eunji as she pulled Naeun up, but her legs won't stand. Instead, Eunji carried her by the back, quickly getting out from the scene.

Bomi who witnessed everything, decided to keep it a secret and left the scene.

The next day, news broke out about a strange murder caused by an ice phenomenon that no one would have ever solved. The death of those seven girls were still a mystery till today.

 

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

Chorong gasped as she listened to Bomi's story. She hadn't thought of the fact that their powers might go out of control and actually, harm a human. But this was exactly what the Ice Fairy's abilities were. Ice abilities became stronger when the user forgoes an unstable emotion. The reincarnations of each Fairy were definitely catered according to their personalities. Just like Bomi, the Thunder Fairy who is as energetic and bright like a lightning bolt but yet, can turn furious when their loved ones are hurt. Listening to the story of Son Naeun that nobody knew about, Chorong realised the scars that the young girl must've gone through. For some reason, tears suddenly fell through the Fire Fairy's cheeks.

"Unnie? Why are you suddenly crying?" said Bomi as she quickly took a tissue and gently wiped her tears away.

"I just...feel a lot of sadness just hearing about it. I can't imagine how much of pain this girl must've went through...."

"Omo, I didn't know unnie was this soft-hearted. You're like a tofu!" said Bomi with a laugh.

"Anyways, I'll need to meet this Son Naeun girl that you speak of. She is one of the fairies I am looking for."

"Sure thing unnie, we'll go tommorow! For now, let's go to sleep! Good night~" said Bomi with a smile as she threw her body against the mattress.

Chorong simply chuckled. She still hasn't gotten used to Earth's atmosphere and wasn't aware of what "sleep" was. Throughout the whole night, the fairy stared at the starry, night sky through the glass window. Looking up, she misses her homeland called "Heaven".

After seven hours, morning had finally arrived but the two high school girls were still fast asleep. Chorong on the other hand, did a lot of self-thinking by herself and thought that she should make breakfast for the two. She had read through books that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" while she studied about how humans lived on Earth. Quietly, she opened the refrigerator but was astonished at how empty and dirty it was. There were rotten apples, expired milk cartons and leftover bread that was already molded as an incredibly pungent smell hit her nose.

"Just what do these kids eat?" sighed Chorong as she coughed and rummaged through the shelves and found a few cup ramen.

With this, she proceeded to boil water and opened the packaging. Just as she was about to pour the seasonings inside, a hand suddenly grabbed her wrist.

"You don't put that in first." said a voice from behind as Chorong quickly turned around. It was Eunji.

"I...don't?" asked Chorong confused.

"Are you even human?! Obviously, you should cook the noodles first before you add seasonings in it otherwise the taste is going to be so strange. No way. Come on, let me do it." said Eunji as she casually broke into a Busan accent. Chorong quietly watched the girl, who prepared the cup noodles.

"Here. Have you ever prepared cup noodles before? It looks like your first time." said Eunji as she placed the cup noodles and sat on the floor.

"I didn't know it was supposed to work that way...." said Chorong quietly

"You're really a strange girl....ah. Did I introduce myself before?"

"No but Bomi told me that you're Eunji and her childhood friend."

"Ah..oops. Sorry, I was a little tired yesterday so I wasn't really in my right mood. Let me do the proper introductions." said Eunji as she broke into a smile, dusting her hands off and reached for a handshake.

"Hello! I'm Jung Eunji from Busan! Nice to meet you!" 

"Nice to meet you...I'm Chorong...Park Chorong...." said the girl, who finally felt relieved.

"Chorong...unnie?" 

"Oh? How did you know that I'm older than you?"

"It's kinda obvious, with the way you act and all that. It's very mature and motherly-like. I know you wanted to try making breakfast for us so I'm thankful for that!" 

"Y-You don't need to thank me for that..." said Chorong, flustered at Eunji's sudden words.

"Anyways, it's time to wake this fool up." said Eunji as she stood up, lightly placed her feet on her thigh and shook Bomi sideways, until her eyes finally opened.

"Wake up you fool~time to eat~Naeun is going to be here any time by now~" said Eunji in a long, draggy tone.

"I smell...cup ramen..." mumbled Bomi.

"That's why, wake up you fool~~wake up~" said Eunji as she pulled Bomi upwards.

"Oh. Good morning Chorong unnie." smiled Bomi with a still-sleepy expression.

"Morning." said Chorong with a chuckle. For some reason, she had always found Bomi's actions cute and adorable.

 

 

~X~

 

For a moment, the three girls began to bond slowly through a simple meal of instant cup noodles. They talked mainly about how boring school life was and how Bomi's dream was to be a taekwondo player while Eunji dreamed of being a singer. Although Chorong wasn't really sure what "school life" or "dreams" were all about, but it seemed interesting to her about the lives of mortals.

"Unnie, aren't you going to eat? Are you not hungry?" asked Bomi.

"That's right, you should at least eat something otherwise you'll have a bad day." said Eunji.

"It's okay, really." smiled Chorong but she knew that she couldn't reveal the fact that fairies don't eat much.

"I'm not going to be nice and give you a bite, just saying." said Bomi as she stuck her tongue out.

"If you say so unnie..." said Eunji as she quietly slurped her noodles.

Chorong still can't help but to think at how much these two girls could eat non-stop without even taking a break. It was not one, two but three cup noodles each. But for some reason, the girl smiled watching them eat like a mother who observed two little girls eating happily. It was at that moment, the door bell rang.

"It's Naeun!" smiled Eunji as she walked towards the door and opened it. However, the girl's smile dissapeared as she was greeted with a crying, sobbing Naeun.

"What's wrong Naeun-ah? Did you meet them on the way here? Did something happen? Are you hurt anywhere?" said Eunji as she touched her shoulders, arms, waist and stopped at her hands. Looking at it, her hands were in a thick, frozen ice. The older girl's eyes widened in concerned as she took a peek behind, it was obvious Bomi and Chorong noticed that something was wrong.

Eunji contemplated and wondered whether it was right to share this secret to them, that Naeun had weird ice powers. 

"I don't know what's happening....it's not turning back..." sobbed Naeun.

"Naeun-ah, the only way we can find help is to let more people know about your power. Right now, it's only me but I can't do anything. Please understand this, Naeun-ah." said Eunji as she held onto the frozen hands tightly and stared deeply into Naeun's watery eyes.

"I understand unnie..." said Naeun as she nodded.

"Good."

"Chorong unnie, Bomi-ya, can you please come here for a moment?" said Eunji as she turned her head behind.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" asked Bomi as she quickly went to her side in a flash.

"What happened?" asked Chorong as the two arrived, and saw Naeun's stiff-frozen ice-like hands.

"W-Wow..." said Bomi in astonishment yet shock.

"I didn't tell you in the beginning but Naeun has been experiencing these weird powers and I don't know how to control this. I'll tell you the full details later but first-" before Eunji could say anything, Chorong suddenly grabbed Naeun's frozen hands where a sudden, spark of fire appeared. The flares enveloped around the icy hands, slowly melting and soon enough, Naeun's hands were back to normal. Strangely enough, it was a fire that didn't harmed her. Instead, it was a wrap of warmth full of comfort that calmed the crying girl.

"Woah what in the world....Chorong unnie what..." said Eunji as she just stared at the fire.

"Man, that's cool. I wanna have that power instead of the lightning one." pouted Bomi.

"Bom-ah!" said Chorong.

"Ah...oops..." said Bomi as she soon realised what she had just said.

"The fire just now....don't tell you too..have powers like me?" asked Naeun, confused.

"I also have powers like that too Naeun-ah! Look!" smiled Bomi brightly as she lifted her hand and electricity circulated around her fingers.

"Woah, hold on. Hold on. Someone please explain what is happening." said Eunji as she stopped everyone from doing anything else.

"Naeun's hands are fine now, good. But that does not explain why she has powers, why Bomi has powers and why Chorong unnie has powers. Argh, this is confusing!! I'm not in a dream right?!" said Eunji, almost exploding in frustration as she tried to pinch herself just in case she was still dreaming somewhere.

"Eunji-ya, Naeun-ah, this may sound weird but having powers is real. And that's why Chorong unnie found me, because I have powers like these. Naeun too...we were waiting for you." said Bomi calmly.

"I know this may sound like a dream but you and Bomi are reincarnations of the five fairies that I am searching for. Bomi, the Thunder Fairy and now you, The Ice Fairy. In fact, the two of you aren't humans since the beginning. Please take time to understand this properly. I know it's been hard." said Chorong as she gently held onto Naeun's hands, that was back to normal and could only feel a motherly warmth enveloping in between.

"I....don't know what to say....it's all just happening so fast...." said Naeun, still quite in a shock.

"Hold on. So you're saying that there are more people out there who have powers like Bomi and Naeun?" asked Eunji, who finally got to an understanding.

"That's right. My duty was to come to Earth and gather all five of the reincarnated fairies back to heaven. Since I've already gotten three now, all that's left is two more fairies." smiled Chorong.

"Wait. Three?" asked Bomi.

"Who's the third one?" asked Eunji.

Chorong smiled and turned to face Eunji, with a finger pointing towards her.

"You."

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 2]

 

 

 

A/N: Three fairies found, two more to go! Which fairy reincarnation does Eunji belong to? Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of this chapter. As always there's a lot of chomi and 2eun moments here, but the maknaes will soon make their appearence! Will update soon~