The Test

Fairies

 

 

Upon seeing Chorong in front of her eyes, the sobbing girl quickly pulled her into an embrace and wailed in her arms. She had thought her scary ordeal would never come to an end, that she would forever be trapped in that horrible memory that continued to repeat on and on. She hadn't never figured to see her again after so long.

"Namjoo-ya...." said Chorong, slightly flustered at the sudden situation. Originally, she had arrived just in time to stop Namjoo from creating any destruction but yet here she was, immediately transformed into a small child, crying in her arms. Water had stopped flowing and things became calm again.

"Congratulations on passing the first test." smiled Chorong as she wiped the girl's tears.

"What do you mean unnie?" said Namjoo confused.

"I'll tell you everything later. For now, follow me." said Chorong as she helped the girl up, held her hands tightly and brought her to a place that seemed like an observatory. A gigantic glass screen plastered across the building, where the girls were able to see the locations of the other four girls who were fighting in their own voids.

"W-What on earth is going on unnie? What's all this?" said Namjoo as she stared at the glass pane, looking down at her unnies and maknae, Hayoung.

"This is the first task towards your fairy training and you're the first to complete it. It is meant to fully exhibit your powers to the best of your ability. The only way of doing so, is by overcoming your worst fears. Each of the girls including you have to fight over your biggest fear. You, Namjoo did that quicker than ever. Of course, I had to go down and stop you before any more destruction was caused." said Chorong who smiled at her, like a proud mom, relieved that she passed the test with ease.

"But that's really cruel unnie! I don't know what I'm supposed to feel now. How am I supposed to live with this haunting memory inside me?" said Namjoo still unable to get over the fact of Yookyung's loss.

"Namjoo-ya, life can be unexpected at times. People can dissapear all of the sudden and you may never see them again. But always remember, it is never your fault. Let's live life to the fullest and cherish the people we love the most, so that we won't have any regrets. I'm sure Yookyung had a very special place in your heart and she doesn't want you to regret either."

"Unnie......How did you know that?!" said Namjoo surprised at Chorong's words. She stared at her, as if the fire fairy read her mind.

"Namjoo-ya, the only reason why I left first was because I was busy doing research on your past. Or rather, everyone's pasts. In the end, I am your leader and I have to know each and everyone of you from the back of my palm. It's the duties a leader has to do as it's very important when we go on missions together."

"Wow.......all this makes it seem like i'm watching a movie.....wow......daebak......." gasped Namjoo as she opened widely. Watching her expression, Chorong could only laugh. She had never knew, this girl here was so innocent yet adorably hilarious at the same time.

"Come here Namjoo-ya, let's watch and see how the others will handle their darkest memories. I have faith that all of them will succeed." said Chorong as the two sat down at a bench as they watched from the glass pane.

"But unnie......about Hayoung....."

"I know. I'm aware about Hayoung. She's......special." said Chorong as her expression turned serious.

As the two girls observed, each of the voids were different according to the personalities of the girls.

Namjoo's void was a pure, empty, white void that contained of absolutely nothing. Bomi's void had only a chair in the middle as the girl was seen sitting down, staring up at the painted ceiling as she watched her memories past by. Eunji's void contained a piano in the middle of nowhere as she was instructed to play a musical piece in which, the girl obeyed. Naeun's void was covered in ice and was freezing, however the girl didn't feel cold at all because, she is the Ice Fairy. There, she was instructed to swallow a pill and seemed to fall asleep in a bed, covered in snow. From afar, it looked like a real version of a sleeping beauty. As she slept, her dreams would constantly be repeated of the same scenes where she was bullied, attacked and how she accidently killed her own classmates. On the other hand, Hayoung's void was completely different from the others. Her void was dark, with only a single light shining in the centre with a chair in the middle, with headphones on top. The maknae sat down and placed her headphones over her ears as she began to fully immerse herself in a strange, static sound that seemed to make her travel back down to her childhood memories.

As all four are given their own battle to fight against their biggest fear, Chorong and Namjoo could only watch and hope for the best. Similar to watching a sports match, the girls looked on with worry hoping that nothing terrible happens. Chorong especially, paid close attention to Hayoung. After doing her research, she had realised that Hayoung was the earliest to be wary of her powers at the age of 5 and clearly, was the most experienced among the five reincarnated fairies. Her power was very raw and strong. If not controlled properly, Hayoung's powers can fall into the wrong hands, worthy of entering the dark, evil side that holds keen interest from devils.

"Namjoo-ya, I want to tell you something. It's about Hayoung." said Chorong as she looked at the younger girl with a serious expression.

"W-What is it unnie?" said Namjoo with nervousness, unsure what to expect. After all, life as a fairy is very unexpected.

"I'm not sure if you had realised but.....Hayoung is a child who needs a lot of love. The way she behaves and act, she has suffered a lot during her childhood. In order to ensure her powers are nourished correctly, you-no, in fact, all of us should shower Hayoung with love like a family. I don't know what had happened but as I looked back at her memories, she is a girl who hasn't experienced the feeling of recieving love. Realising how she grew up....hurts my heart." said Chorong in a calm manner as she touched her chest.

"Unnie......it's amazing how you know every single thing about us......., you're a great leader." said Namjoo as she smiled and hung her arm around Chorong's shoulder.

"Namjoo-ya, I'm being serious..."

"I know unnie. Don't worry, I'll take good care of Hayoung! It's normal after all, she protected me!"

"But she killed those men which is wrong.....I'll have to write a report about that later...." sighed Chorong.

"Report? What?"

"There's too many things to tell you about my work. Just focus on watching them."

"Yes unnie." said Namjoo obediently as the two watched on.

 

~X~

 

"Where in the world am I?" thought Eunji as she found herself in a room. It didn't feel like it was real at all. It was as if, she was watching a dream, fragmented from her own memories.

"Woah, it's me. I looked really cute back then." said Eunji as she saw a child-version of herself entering the room followed along by a tall woman and her pet dog. There, her child-self sat and started playing the grand piano, neatly placed at the corner as the woman sat down as well. It seemed like a piano class as the dog laid itself and slept, listening to Eunji's piano songs. But as the child continued to press the keys, there was suddenly a wrong tune. Upon hearing that, the teacher stood up and yelled at her.

"You played it wrongly! Do it again!" to which Eunji nodded as her hands walked over the keys again. But then, another wrong key was played. She had forgotten the pattern of the song.

"Eunji-ya! Did you forget again? How many times are you going to repeat this mistake?" 

The child Eunji simply nodded again without a sound and restarted. As the current Eunji looked at herself, she could somehow feel her heart aching. She couldn't remember what happened next. As time went by, the teacher continued to scold her many, many times. The child Eunji had kept it in for a long time until, she finally broke down. All of the sudden, the child stood up, grabbed the music sheets and threw it on the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?!" yelled the teacher.

"I'm not playing this anymore!" shouted Eunji.

"Why you little brat-"

"I hate piano! I hate you! I wish you'd die! Go away you-" before Eunji could even continue, a sharp, stinging slap strung across her cheek. Shocked and surprised, the child's eyes widened as she turned and stared at the teacher. Her eyes had fire burning inside, it was a furious stare to which her teacher, froze upon looking.

"Y-You monster!" 

"Die." muttered Eunji as the ground suddenly trembled and the dog that was asleep, woke up and started barking at the teacher. It was almost unreal. 

"What on earth is happening?!" said the teacher confused and afraid.

"GO AWAY!" shouted Eunji as her powers finally took place. The dog that barked, suddenly jumped and attacked the teacher, biting her arm first. Before the scene could even continue, it was cut off into black darkness.

It was then, Eunji realised that she was back in reality. She had stopped playing the piano as she got her memories back. Staring blankly at her fingers, she was confused as to what she had just saw.

"What the......" mumbled Eunji to herself. She was completely dumbfounded but somehow, she felt at ease upon remembering the memory. It was as if something heavy, lifted off from her heart. She couldn't exactly tell why or how that happened but she felt lighter than ever. All of the sudden, a small space opened at the corner where there was a staircase leading to somewhere. Feeling suspicious yet feeling the need to follow, Eunji got off the piano chair and went up the steps. To her surprise, Chorong and Namjoo were at the top, waiting for her.

"Chorong unnie? Namjoo? What are the two of you doing here?" said Eunji with a smile, relieved to see familiar faces.

"Congratulations Eunji-ya." smiled Chorong to which Eunji looked at her confused.

"For what?" asked Eunji.

"Passing the test unnie! You made it~" said Namjoo excitedly.

"Uh huh...fill me in the details. What on earth is going on? What did I just see? What? Huh? I'm really lost right now." said Eunji as she looked around the observatory and the glass pane where it showed the other three girls in their own voids. Upon that, the two had to explain the whole story to Eunji again.

"So I was there? I was there looking stupid like that?" laughed Eunji speechless, upon realising the purpose of it.

"Unnie, how could you say that?!" 

"I'm just joking. So, Naeun, Bomi and Hayoung are left huh? They're taking pretty long." said Eunji as she glued her face to the glass, her eyes only focusing on Naeun who slept soundly while battling her own in her mind.

"Sit down unnie." said Namjoo.

"Nah, I'm just gonna watch from here. I hope she wakes up soon." 

"You mean Naeun? Don't worry Eunji-ya, she'll be able to make it through. I'm sure of it." smiled Chorong confidently.

"Unnie...." said Eunji as she turned around and looked at her. It was at moments like this, just by a simple word, Chorong was able to put ease in the girls. Indeed, this was what made her different and why, Eunji respected her. She had such leader-like qualities that was able to give hope to her team.

 

~X~

 

Meanwhile in Bomi's void, the girl was struck into an illusion the moment she stared into the strange, painting. She had returned back to the memories of her childhood, when she was merely 8 years old, young and innocent. She was a very energetic and cheerful child, the same she was now. She used to have two pet dogs and named them, Quick and Dal. They were pets she loved and cared dearly but why was it that, Bomi didn't remember them? Why was it that Bomi lost such a precious memory? Indeed, it was only because such memory brought her so much pain, anger and sadness. It was only because of this, her powers began it's journey.

It was but, a bright, sunny day where Bomi insisted on taking out Quick and Dal for a walk. It was always her older sister who accompanyed her along simply because she was too young to do it alone, but today, she wanted to prove herself that she was old and mature. She wanted to gain trust from her family. With confidence, the girl left her house as she tightly held onto the leash. Everything seemed peaceful at first, Quick and Dal trotted along as they would sometimes stare at ongoing-cars passing by the road or sniff and stare at plants.

"Quick-ah~Dal-ah~ you know Mom loves you a lot right?" said Bomi to which her dogs just ignored her as usual. 

It was then on the opposite end of the road, there was another girl who was walking her dogs as well. The moment Quick and Dal turned their heads and saw the other dogs, their tails wagged with excitement and they started barking.

"Quick-ah! Dal-ah! Be quiet!" said Bomi but the two dogs continued to bark. It was at that point, Quick and Dal started running. Due to the sudden force, the child Bomi lost her grip in the leash as she could helplessly watch her two dogs dash across the road, unable to see a car coming across then. It was then, her worst nightmare had arrived. A child at the age of eight, should never have experienced such, seeing her two loved dogs crushed and run over by a car by her very own eyes. Quick and Dal, died on the spot and left the child bursting in tears. But no one knew that on the day they died, it was the worst storm South Korea had ever experienced despite the warm, sunny weather in the morning. It was the day, Bomi's powers began to awaken from it's deep slumber.

It was only then, the illusion ended cruelly as Bomi found herself in tears, staring blankly at the painting as she could no longer see anything else. Wiping her tears and sobbing like a baby, the girl cried not because she was sad, but because she had forgotten the dogs that gave her so much happiness. She had no idea why her memories of them suddenly dissapeared like that but she was glad to have them back, despite them being so painful in heart.

"Quick-ah, Dal-ah, I'm sorry....Mom....did such a bad thing to you...." sobbed Bomi to herself.

It was then, the hidden door revealed itself with the staircase leading to where the others were. But the girl stood still in her chair, still crying softly. At the observatory tower, Chorong sighed as she stared at Bomi.

"What do I do with this girl?" said Chorong as she walked down. At the doorstep, she shouted out loud, "Bomi-ya!" with a wide smile and her arms wide open. Upon seeing Chorong, the younger girl's tears flowed even more as she wailed loudly, running into her arms.

"What are you? A baby?" laughed Chorong as she gently hugged Bomi, patting her back and telling her that it's okay.

"U-Unnie, you know what happened-my dogs-they...they" sobbed Bomi unable to speak.

"I know. I know. First, stop crying and let's head upstairs." said Chorong as she laughed slightly, finding Bomi's crying expressions rather cute. She was later reunited with Eunji and Namjoo, her same-aged friend bursted out laughing while the younger dongsaeng became worried and helped to wipe her tears away. Indeed, the difference in their reactions certainly showed their different relationships with each other. With Bomi completing her test, it was left with the remaining two. Coincidentally, the 93-line friends completed their test around the same time. Once again, the girls repeated and explained the same story to Bomi in order to fully understand that this was all part of a test.

"That doesn't matter. Where did you go unnie?" said Bomi who seemingly calmed down.

"I had work to do."

"But unnie you're not an employee"

"I'm not"

"Don't leave me ever again." said Bomi as she held onto Chorong's hand. Looking into her eyes, the older girl could only giggle. From her perspective, she seemed like a puppy who didn't want to let go of its master. It was adorable and she could only nod.

"Why are you so clingy, what are you? A dog?" joked Eunji.

"Hey!" 

"But unnie, it's true." said Namjoo, following along Eunji's jokes.

"NOT YOU TOO!"

With the three girls together again, the observatory got loud and noisy with their jokes.

"Quiet! Looks like something is happening with Naeun." hissed Chorong as the "kids" immediately got silent and moved their attention towards the window pane. In the icy void where ice covered everywhere, the sleeping beauty that stayed still in her bed started to move. Her eyes slowly opened as she finally broke off from her dreams, that seemed like never-ending nightmares.

"Oh?" said Bomi surprised.

"What?" asked Eunji.

"I thought Naeun would be in tears."

"She's a strong girl. After all, she's been through lots of hardships, surely this kind of stuff is a piece of cake for her." smiled Eunji.

Bomi just stared at her suspiciously.

"I swear, the difference when you treat me compared to Naeun...."

"Whatever. Keep looking." shrugged Eunji as she playfully moved Bomi's head back to the glass.

Naeun seemed completely fine as she rubbed her eyes and looked around. It was then, the door revealed itself and the girl followed the staircase upwards where the others are. The girl was completely unfazed and calm, unlike the other girls when they passed their test. Indeed, five of them are totally different which perfectly exhibits the difference between their fairy powers and personalities.

"How was it Naeun-ah? Was it scary?" asked Eunji.

"It's nothing really. It's just a scary dream, that's all." smiled Naeun.

"Are you sure?" asked Namjoo in worry.

"You sure there weren't any big monsters chasing after you or ghosts flying around?" asked Bomi.

"I didn't dream of monsters unnie." giggled Naeun at Bomi's senseless comments.

"Gosh, not again." said Eunji with a face-palmed.

"What? Then did you dream of being able to eat everything that you want but you keep eating and eating until...you wanted to puke?" 

"Wow unnie, that would be good dream! Not a bad one!" said Namjoo as the two started a deep discussion related to food.

"These two are going to start their food talks again. Come on Naeun-ah, let's go watch Hayoung." said Eunji as she took her hand and went to where Chorong was. The older girl had already grown accustomed to the noisy girls and it just seemed like a natural thing to her.

"How's Hayoung doing?" asked Naeun.

"It's a problem...." said Chorong with a sigh.

"What is?" said Eunji.

"It seems like....Hayoung doesn't want to get out of her dream. It seems that she chooses to stay in her illusion forever....."

"You mean...she might never come back from her dream?" said Eunji in worry.

"We can only watch. This is her battle Eunji-ya.."

"But, can't we do anything to help? She's just a kid, she's definitely making reckless decisions out there!"

"No Eunji-ya, do not interfere. You absolutely must not."

"Unnie...." said Eunji in frustration as she could only watch Hayoung who closed her eyes while listening to the headphones, deep into an endless dream.

"You said that you were doing research on our past. What is Hayoung's one about? You said it was special?" asked Naeun.

The Fire Fairy looked at her with an uncomfortable frown as the other four girls turned their attention towards her, curious as to what Chorong had found out about the mysterious Air Fairy.

"She's-" before Chorong could even say a word, something started to occur in Hayoung's void. The objects that scattered around the girl whose ears were still strapped to the earphones, began to float. Everything in sight started to fly in the air as the ground trembled. In a glance, Chorong immediately ran down and opened the door. 

But she was a second too late. The glass on the wall shattered into pieces, objects began throwing themselves into the mid-air as the girl dodged them swiftly. She had to stop her before more chaos occurred but it seemed like Hayoung didn’t want to be disturbed. Whilst in the middle, the girls looked on in worry, wondering whether they should step in and help her out. But yet again, the leader’s words were official. They were afraid of disobeying because of the environment they were in.

“We should do something!” said Eunji in urgency.

“No. Chorong unnie said to stay here.” argued Naeun.

“She’s right. We can’t interfere Eunji-ya.” said Bomi.

“You’re just saying so because it’s Chorong. Would you do the same if it was someone else?” said Eunji in frustration.

“Unnie, stop.” said Naeun, trying to calm her down.

Namjoo who was stuck in the middle, became conflicted at a moment where time is essential in terms of making important decisions. She had no idea what was going on in Hayoung’s mind or whether the maknae was even aware that she was causing harm to others, she just wanted her to wake up from her nightmare. It was then, Namjoo forced and moved her feet. She ran out in the open where objects would fly dangerously across her as her only goal was taking Hayoung’s headphones off.

“Namjoo-ya, get out of here!” shouted Chorong as she saw the girl run pass her.

The girl was lucky. She reached Hayoung without getting hurt and quickly tossed off the headphones towards the ground. Her hands gently cupped her cheeks as she looked at her in the eyes. Slowly, the maknae opened her eyes as a small shed of tear rolled down her cheeks.

“N….Namjoo?” mumbled Hayoung who was still out of it.

“It’s okay. Everything’s fine now Hayoung-ah. Everything is fine.” said Namjoo as she pulled her into an embrace. As she felt the warmth and comfort within her arms, everything went back to normal. The flying objects fell flat to the ground and there was peace.

The maknae simply responded in silence as she was still trying to recall what had actually happened to her while Chorong sighed in relief. The others walked into the void to Hayoung’s side while Bomi checked on Chorong, hoping that she didn’t get hurt anywhere. With that, all five managed to somehow pass their first test. They were a step closer to becoming a full-fledged fairy. Well, they had no choice either way. It was their decided fate in life.

 

~X~

 

The girls were then brought into another room where Hoya was. He congratulated the five in passing their first test as he stood behind an extremely huge whiteboard that seemed to extend 360 degrees across the entire room.

"I'm sure some of you are still quite confused as to what you've just experienced. What you have just seen is the darkest moments in your life. This first test is set with the aim that you would be able to fully utilise your powers when faced against your biggest nightmare. That itself, has already proved your potential." said Hoya as Chorong went to his side and whispered something to his ear.

"Very well. I'll handle the rest for now. You may go first Chorong-ssi." said Hoya as the girl proceeded to a small door located in the corner.

"Unnie!" said Bomi in a loud voice as Chorong stopped and turned around.

"Where are you going now? Aren't you going to tell us?" asked Bomi in worry.

The Fire Fairy simply smiled.

"I'll meet the five of you later. For now, please listen to Hoya-ssi. After all, he's one of your teachers. You should respect him." said Chorong as she soon disappeared into the door.

"But...you didn't even answer my question..." mumbled Bomi with a frown.

"Alright. Fairies, what we are going to do next is a short, little theory lesson. It's going to be a little boring but it is important that all of you to know the rules and how heaven runs." said Hoya to which his students stared blankly at his face.

"I think the five of you need a little break. I'll come back 10 minutes later. I'm sure the test must've taken a toll on some of you. Remember, it's all in the past. What matters is you, in the present." said Hoya as he momentarily left the room, leaving the five girls all alone by themselves.

With the thud of the door echoing in the room, the girls were still in a daze. Everything had happened so quickly upon their arrival in heaven. They were suddenly taken into a random test as if they were subjects of an experiment and now, they're supposed to sit and listen to a lecture? Surely, it seemed fishy but this was obviously better than their lives back in Earth. None of them wanted to return back to the world where sufferings existed. The break allowed the girls to think deeply in silence as they stared blankly. It was rare to see them quiet like that, as if they were mediating. 

"Hayoung-ah. Are you feeling okay?" asked Namjoo in worry as the girl had not spoken a single word since the test.

"This...sure is crazy." mumbled Hayoung as she looked at her palms. She never thought she'd see that again, those memories that she wanted to run away from. She had never expected to see her own father and mother in that dream. A dream that seemed so hallucinating and haunting, childhood memories that she wanted to bury deep under. It was difficult to explain and she wasn't sure if she should tell the girls what she had saw. It only brought her more anger, frustration and hatred. She couldn't possibly tell them that she was a victim of child abuse.

Soon, the break was over and Hoya entered the room once again. Not wanting to waste time, he started the lecture in which he explained how laws of heaven were different on Earth, the history of fairies and the way "people" live here. Heaven was created and modified to give similiar characteristics of human life as most of the "people" are good-hearted souls that have passed on or reincarnated souls that are destined to serve under the Great Almighty. Of course, with Hoya's low tone, it was somewhat boring and dull. Bomi and Eunji were seen, slowly nodding their heads off to which Naeun and Namjoo had to nudge them to wake them up.

"To wrap it up, there's one very important rule that all of you should remember. We cannot let such incident to happen again." said Hoya as he flipped a page from the book he was holding.

"What incident Mr.Hoya?" asked Namjoo.

"Well, it happened to Chorong-ssi before. I hope none of you here would have to experience that." said Hoya as he sighed.

"Chorong unnie?" said Bomi as she was now, fully awake upon hearing her name.

"Because of that incident, the court had decided to erase specific fragments of her memory so that she does not have to feel such pain. The pain of losing a loved one."

"Loved one? What do you mean Mr.Hoya?" asked Namjoo.

"Fairies should not fall in love with each other. It is a written rule that has been passed down in centuries. And Chorong, broke that." said Hoya with a sigh. 

"You mean-"

"Yes. She fell in love once. Only, once."

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 6]

 

A/N: Looks like we're getting some history of the mysterious Fire Fairy? Just what kind of abuse has Hayoung went through that has made her to who she is now? Indeed, the world is full of secrets. Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of what you think is up with Chorong and Hayoung! I will update soon~