The Fire Fairy

Fairies

 

Upon the mention of "love", there were mixed reactions among the five. Namjoo and Naeun quietly giggled as they couldn't possibly imagine Chorong in love, Eunji and Hayoung shrugged as they found love a rather, embarassing topic to talk about while Bomi stayed quiet, somehow feeling strange about it. She wasn't sure why she was feeling this way, the fact that Chorong once had someone whom she loved and cherished with all her heart, she couldn't even imagine that her lips were taken by something else. Or rather, why did she think about her lips first? Her mind must be going wild ever since the test.

"Bom-ah, why are you suddenly slapping yourself? Are you an idiot?" asked Eunji with a laugh.

"N-Nothing. Nothing at all." stuttered Bomi as she couldn't shake off the uncomfortable feeling that was stuck in her heart.

"As the five of you will be with Chorong for the rest of eternity, I think it would be best to tell you the story." said Hoya as he closed his book and looked at the girls.

"What story?" asked Eunji.

"About the previous five fairies that fought alongside Chorong. The original fairies." 

"Wow, I wanna hear more about the previous fairies!" said Namjoo in excitement.

"Count me in!" said Bomi as she shrugged off the uncomfortable feeling and decided to just focus on the lecture.

"Looks like it's going to be a long day today. Alright, it all began like this....." said Hoya as he took his time and calmly explained the entire timeline of the five original fairies and how their deaths became the reincarnations of the current fairies which is, the girls that is right in front of his eyes.

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

The original six fairies were made up of three women and three men.

The Fire Fairy, Park Chorong.

The Thunder Fairy, Lee Changsub,

The Nature Fairy, Kim Yong Sun, 

The Ice Fairy, Bae JooHyun 

The Water Fairy, Kim Joon Myeong 

The Air Fairy, Jung Jinyoung.

For centuries, they were considered one of the strongest and battled together in times of victory and also defeat. In times of happiness and sadness, they went through it together as a team. Under the command of Chorong, there were no conflicts and discussed their problems together whether it was personal or not. But the fairies knew of a secret that they kept among themselves, even I was not told of it until their deaths. The strong, respected leader was in love. She was in love with her own comrade, the bright and powerful Thunder Fairy, Changsub. 

The two kept their relationship in secret but it was at times, far too obvious to know that they were so deep in love that, they let their guard down. It was not only until, the day of their deaths that everything was revealed. We can't forget the day we lost five of our precious fairies, in the battle against hell. We call it, The Battle Of The Hell Gate. The Great Almighty had sent the fairies deep into the depths of the underworld to stop more dark souls from entering into the human world. It was all due to a simple mistake that someone unlocked the gate by accident and this allowed many trapped souls to escape and haunt the world. Humans like you, call them as ghosts. We call them the "lost souls". It was that very day, Chorong lost her five precious comrades in front of her eyes.

 

At the battlefield, the six fairies were surrounded as they gathered in a circle formation with Chorong in the centre as they each, tried to best to fend off incoming enemies coming from every side. They were stuck, there were just too many to handle and were at a position where it was between life and death.

"Chorong-ah, there's too many devils around! We can't handle them alone!" shouted Joon Myeong who prefered to be called "Suho" as he built a huge, transparent water barrier across, preventing the devils from reaching them.

"We're surrounded!" said Jinyoung as he continued to push the devils away with his air-bending powers.

"Let's retreat Chorong-ah." suggested Yongsun who was more known as "Solar" as she placed her hand on Joohyun, mumbled to a song as her injuries began to heal.

"No. The gate is right in front of us. We can't stop now!" said The Fire Fairy as her eyes were determined. The five fairies looked at her with worry but they had always trusted her. They always believed in her judgements and followed her without haste.

"She's right. We can't stop now." said Changsub.

"You do know this is a suicide mission right?" said Suho.

"Come on, since when were we ever on suicide missions?" said Jinyoung.

"What's the plan Chorong-ah?" asked Joohyun, the quiet Ice Fairy who was known as Irene. 

"We'll charge forward. Once we reach the gate, Jinyoung and Irene will work together to close back the gate while the rest of us will back you up and protect you from the oncoming devils." said Chorong.

"Sounds like a good plan. Let's go. I want to see your beautiful posture as you fight." smiled Changsub as he simply stared at her.

"Yeah, um, not a good time to be flirting around." coughed Suho as he started to walk forward first, pushing the enemies away with a huge, wave of water. It was like a sudden tsunami that dragged the enemies to the other side. This was then followed by Irene and Changsub that began their offensive attacks as rays of thunder and pieces of ice slashed across like a gun, shooting down any devils that came closer. Chorong and Jinyoung use their fire and air abilities as a combination to form a fire-like arrow where fumes of fire would fly across thanks to the levitation of Jinyoung's air powers. Solar on the other hand, was in charge of healing her teammates and was put on the defensive side, summoning spirit animals to cover the others as she occasionally healed their wounds through her singing.

Slowly, the fairies were able to get a step closer to the open, hell gate as they did their best to brush off the enemies from every corner. Eventually, they reached and the fairies immediately got to work. Jinyoung placed his two hands high up in the air as he used all of his strength to pull the giant, black doors back while Irene formed an gigantic ice chain to wrap and lock the gate completely. But it was at that moment, a black arrow flew past all of the sudden from a blind spot and was about to hit Irene. Jinyoung who saw this in a blink of an eye, quickly pulled Irene to his chest as he turned around, acting as a shield. The black arrow stabbed right through Jinyoung's stomach as he groaned in pain.

"J-Jinyoung-ah!" said Irene in shock.

"D-Don't worry about me, focus on locking the gate." said Jinyoung with a smile. Irene simply nodded as she did as she told.

"That black arrow....it's poisoned! We need to get Jinyoung out of here now!" said Solar as she recognized the colour.

"Crap! We need to hurry! Irene-ah, do it!" shouted Suho as he was busy keeping enemies from touching Irene as Solar ran to Jinyoung's side.

"Everything will be over once the gate is closed! Please, hang in there a bit longer!" encouraged Chorong but suddenly, someone grabbed her shoulder and pulled her behind as a thunder sword appeared in front her eyes, blocking a black sword that intercepted in between.

"I'll take care of this guy. Go, Chorong-ah." said Changsub as he glanced at her. It was one of the henchmen from Hell, heavily equipped with it's own black sword as the two became involved in a sword-battle between the dark and thunder. But the situation seemed to have gotten worse. Reinforcement troops from Hell had arrived, they were clearly outnumbered. It was at that moment, it looked like it was the end of the world. Large bowmen shot their arrows from above, sending down a rain of spikes over to the ground, stabbing into the flesh of the fairies. 

"This wound is nothing!" smirked Suho as he bravely pulled the arrow out from his shoulder, continuing to fight ferociously.

"Protect Irene until she has finished locking the gate!" shouted Chorong as she created a fire wall around Irene.

"Roger that madam!" shouted Changsub as he became more determined. Grabbing onto his thunder sword tightly, he was fearless and ed his sword against his enemy.

"I'm fighting too!" said Solar as she summoned her spirit animals and charged towards the enemy. By making use of the Earth elements, she manipulated the shape of the ground and formed a mini-earthquake, making her enemies tumble and fall. Everything seemed to go well, it looked like victory was in their hands. But the fairies made a small mistake. As they focused on protecting Irene, they left their leader defense-less as she focused on attacking her enemies in the open area. Without even knowing, an arrow flew and target the Fire Fairy. The girl who had completely no idea that it was going to hit her, turned around only to see Changsub in front of her.

"Sorry Chorong-ah." smiled Changsub as the arrow stabbed directly into his heart.

"C-Changsub-ah!" shouted Chorong as she froze, seeing Changsub fall onto the ground.

"Changsub-ah!" shouted Suho as he saw his friend fall in defeat. Because he was distracted, the enemy managed to find a weak point and stabbed a sword into his chest.

"S-stop it....make it stop.....STOP!" shouted Chorong as bright, red flames exited from her palms. Like a fury, it immediately wiped out a quarter of the troops that surrounded the team. But it wasn't enough to stop them.

"Irene-ah. I'm sorry." said Solar.

"W-Why are you saying that Solar?" said Irene sensing that something was wrong but she could not look back, as she had to focus on closing the gate. Solar who had been by Irene's side, took every single hit and acted as a shield. It was thanks to her that, Irene remained unhurt. But it seems, her wounds were far too severe to be healed as she looked at the her friends, falling one by one.

"Don't look behind Irene-ah. Just promise me, that you will close the gate and end this war once and for all." smiled Solar as she spreaded her arms out wide as arrows shot across her body, protecting Irene from harm. But the Ice Fairy knew what had happened, hearing the sound of blood splurting, tears rolled down her cheeks. With the thought of her comrade's sacrifices, Irene managed to lock the gate completely with a triple layer of solid ice, tightly wrapped against it's doors.

"Chorong-ah, I did it." said Irene as she turned around to see the bloody battlefield and her comrades down. Although her mission was accomplished, this was not the future she had thought of. Chorong who sobbed as she held Changsub's body in her arms, she didn't want to lose more of her members. 

"Irene, move!!" shouted Chorong as another arrow began to flew across. 

"I'm sorry. Thank you, for being our leader, Chorong-ah. At least, my part here is done." smiled Irene as she closed her eyes and spreaded her arms wide open, allowing the arrow to fully stab deeply, into her chest as the Fire Fairy watched helplessly with tears rushing down her cheeks. The enemies disappeared into vapour as the hell gate finally closed. The war was over. Chorong was the only survivor as she left all alone, with the dead bodies of her five fairies.

Their sacrifices won't be forgotten. Their loyalty to their leader, remained strong until the end and fought to their last breath.

 

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

"What happened after that?" asked Namjoo.

"After the war, a massive funeral was arranged as we gathered the personal items of the five departed fairies to send them off. That was when, we discovered the secret love relationship between Chorong and Changsub." said Hoya as he sighed.

"What do you mean?" asked Eunji in curiousity.

"As we searched Changsub's house, we found love letters exchanged between them and pictures as well. Although it was supposed to be a day to pay our respects to the departed fairies, it was also the day Chorong was sent to the royal court because she broke the rules. With that, Chorong had to pay the price. The Great Almighty altered her memories and ordered to destroy any evidence of the two in a relationship."

"You mean, she no longer has memories of Changsub?" asked Naeun.

"No. She does not have memories of falling in love. It's a bit complicated but these are the powerful things The Great Almighty can do."

"That's.....really unfair and cruel...." said Bomi, expressing her opinions.

"Bomi-ya..." said Eunji, warning her to mind the words she spoke.

"Honestly, I knew about Chorong's relationship but I kept it a secret. I am of course, her friend and seeing her lose everyone in a blink of an eye, what could you do in that position?" said Hoya as he sighed, thinking about the past.

"Anyways, the moral of the story here is, you should not fall in love. It is a law that everyone must obey. Do you understand?" warned Hoya as he turned serious. The five girls nodded obediently.

"Great. Please don't tell Chorong that I talked about her story, she will kill me. But at least, you now know the story of the Fire Fairy.  She is after all, your leader. Now then, I think I've talked a lot today. Please head back to your dorm and rest. Tommorow, we will start on actual training to control your powers." said Hoya with a smile as he left the room.

With that, the five girls sat in silence as they tried to absorb most of what they could understand from Hoya's story about Chorong. The world of heaven definitely was on a whole new level, they weren't sure what to feel about "going to war" or that they were at risk of being killed. There were just too many things to take into action, the fact that they were like soldiers who were enlisted and were in-training to prepare for a war that they had no idea of. It was difficult to understand the "destiny" that they were fated in.

"I'm hungry." said Bomi randomly.

"Me too. Let's go eat something." said Namjoo.

Thanks to the sudden change of topic, the girls were slightly relaxed as they distracted themselves with food. Following the signs, they were still new to the building they were in and simply followed the directions written on the board like lost children. Eventually, they managed to find their way to the "canteen" and it seemed just like any ordinary canteen except, there was no one around. There was no staff at the food counter and it seemed like "self-service" as the girls just picked their own food up and eventually found an empty table.

"Wow, the two of you should complete who eats the most." said Eunji as she stared the plates of Bomi and Namjoo. They didn't have enough space to put all of the food that there was a seperate tray.

"Why should we fight? We're teammates now aren't we?" pouted Bomi.

"She's right unnie, don't start a war between us" said Namjoo.

"I'm just joking" laughed Eunji as she turned her attention to Hayoung who had remained silent for the whole time. Naeun glanced at Eunji whose eyes only seem to stare at Hayoung. For some reason, she felt uncomfortable but yet again, she could understand why Eunji would feel that way. Hayoung ate quietly as she sat at the far-most end, she needed time to think after what had happened.

"Eat more meat." said Eunji as she gave a piece of beef onto Hayoung's tray.

"Thanks." said Hayoung coldly.

"Hayoung-ah." said Eunji as she put down her chopsticks. The girl didn't like the way Hayoung was behaving. This was not the Hayoung that she knew, this was not her. She was frustrated and wanted to know what was really happening. She was deeply concerned for her ever since she met her at that alleyway.

"Tell me what happened. I've been holding it in for a long time now, but you're really making me worried. Tell me, what happened during those ten years. This is not you." said Eunji as her smile disappeared. Bomi who figured the situation, gave signals to Naeun and Namjoo, asking them to be quiet. After all, she had heard many stories of Hayoung from Eunji. She could tell that Eunji cared about Hayoung a lot.

"Nothing happened. Nothing happened at all, Eunji unnie." said Hayoung as she looked up at Eunji's face. 

"Lies. You think I don't know from your face?"

"As expected, I could never beat Eunji unnie." sighed Hayoung as she put down her chopsticks.

"What happened? What did you see during the test? Tell me everything. It is only right that I should know. No. All of us should know. We are going to be a team now, we can't be keeping secrets from each other." said Eunji.

"She's right, Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo.

"Let's each talk about our past then we'll hear from you, okay? It's fair that way." suggested Bomi, wanting to make the atmosphere slightly lighter.

"Who's starting first?" said Eunji as she calmed down.

"I'll do it." said Naeun. Eunji stared at her surprised, usually Naeun wasn't the type to do things first. Looks like the test seemed to have changed her to become someone stronger. The girl smiled as she looked at her proudly. As the girls ate, they listened to each other's past and the pain they all had experienced. In a way, there beared something similar. Their past had a connection with each other. They were related to how they each, got their powers in a very, painful and saddening way. Is that the sacrifice needed in exchange for power? In order to gain heavenly powers, each of the girls were bound to experience something that scarred their lives forever. This was the element they each had in common, a pain they could share together as a team. 

After hearing their stories one by one, it was finally the maknae's turn. The girls all stared at her, hoping that the girl would finally be able to open up.

"Your turn, Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo.

"Crap." said Hayoung as she avoided eye-contact.

"There's nothing wrong in telling us what you have experienced. We all, went through the same thing except, in a different context." said Naeun, wanting to give confidence to the girl.

"She's right Hayoung-ah. We won't laugh at you. We won't get scared at you. Whatever you tell us, we will be there for you." said Bomi.

"Hayoung-ah. Don't be afraid. We are here." said Eunji.

Hearing the unnie's comforting words, she could feel the warmth and concern they had for her. It was something that she was not used to. She wasn't used to recieving such attention and affection. It was awkward for her but she felt that, she was able to trust them. She thought that for once, there was a place where she could call home. This was the place where she could call as "family".

"I...." said Hayoung slowly as the girls looked at her, lending their ears out and ready to hear her story at last.

"I'm a victim of child abuse." confessed Hayoung.

"Since I was young, my parents kept telling me that I was some genius prodigy or something. It was nonsense. They're just blinding by the fact of forcing their own child to be the smartest kid in the world. For many years, I obeyed them, being a good kid, attending school and getting good grades. But it was getting too far. For the first time, my mom slapped me in front of everyone in school, just because I got 99 instead of 100". continued Hayoung as she found it difficult to continue her story because, it was exactly what she saw during her test. She wasn't sure if she wanted to dig up the same painful memory again. But it was then, Namjoo held onto her hand and looked at her with encouraging eyes.

"That's why, I couldn't see the point of studying. Just who am I studying for? Who am I trying to impress? Am I being happy like that? That's why, I became a rebel. I skipped school, I came home late and spent the rest of my life at the internet cafe. Of course, my parents weren't happy. They would hit me, shout at me, kick me, I wonder whether they were really parents or not. It was the same thing in school. Teachers were upset that I suddenly fell from the rankings, classmates were jealous that I was getting all the attention, the world does doesn't it? That's when, I discovered my powers for the first time. That's when, I accidentally killed my friend." said Hayoung as she stopped, unable to talk further.

"It's okay Hayoung-ah. It's okay." said Namjoo as she pulled her into an embrace as she was the one that sat closest to her.

"Those aren't even parents at all." said Bomi.

"I can't believe that Uncle and Aunty were like that. When I met them, they were total opposites. We've all been living a lie haven't we?" said Eunji, speechless at what she had heard. Naeun on the other hand, became silent. To a point, she could relate the pain Hayoung had experienced because it was similar. Although she may seem like a strong girl but she too, has her own stories. It was then, The Ice Fairy vowed to take good care of Hayoung even though in the beginning, she seemed to bear a sense of resentment towards her. She was apologetic because she judged her but because of her shy personality, Naeun wasn't able to express herself well.

"Hey, I saw that there was a spa nearby. Let's go check it out!" said Bomi in excitement, wanting to change the gloomy mood.

"I'm totally in! I wonder whether it's exactly the same spa as the ones in Seoul!" said Namjoo in agreement.

"Sounds like a good idea. I think we need some time to relax a little with everything going on. Let's go Naeun-ah, Hayoung-ah." smiled Eunji as she let out her hand to the maknae. But instead, Naeun grabbed Hayoung's hand instead.

"Let's go Hayoung-ah." said Naeun, not letting go of Hayoung's hand.

"Omo, what's with you?" said Eunji with her eyes wide open.

"Nothing." smiled Naeun as she went off with Hayoung, following the others to the direction of the spa.

Eunji simply laughed, finding it somehow cute to see Naeun interacting with Hayoung. She was relieved to see their relationship because she was worried that Naeun wouldn't fit in but it looks like there was no problem at all. But she had more important things on her mind, she couldn't help but to think about Chorong. From the moment they met, Eunji had gained respect for her because of her maturity and the way she handled things. She wanted to learn from her, and becoming stronger.

"What are you doing standing there Eunji-ya? Let's go!" said Bomi.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" said Eunji as she snapped out of her deep thought and followed the girls along.

To their surprise, there was a spa located at the highest floor. Although the girls still weren't sure where in the world they were in but it didn't matter because they were together. Surely, they will somehow find their way to their dorm eventually. But what matters now, is the spa. Walking into the changing rooms, Eunji and Bomi boldly stripped their clothes off and put them inside the lockers as if it was nothing. Namjoo covered her eyes and froze in front of the locker, unsure whether to take off or not.

"Oh god, are the three of you shy?" laughed Eunji.

"Aigoo you girls are still young. Come on, take it off." grinned Bomi as she targeted Namjoo first, pulling her shirt off.

"BOMI UNNIE!!" shouted Namjoo in embarassment.

"You're next Naeun-ah." smiled Eunji as she went to her side.

"But unnie.....if I do.....everyone will see it...." whispered Naeun.

"Ah, that? There's nothing to be afraid of. Those are things you should proudly show because you went through all that."

"But......" said Naeun unsure.

"If you're not doing it, I'll do it for you!" smirked Eunji as she grabbed hold of Naeun's shirt and pulled it upwards, revealing her body that was covered in scars and bruises sustained by bullies.

"Woah....Naeun unnie....you have such a small waist!" said Namjoo as she stared at her, completely ignoring the scars on her body.

"Can I hug it?" asked Bomi as she put her hands on Naeun's stomach.

"S-Stop touching me, it tickles!" said Naeun with a laugh, shaking off the hands on her body.

"You're next." smiled Eunji as she turned to Hayoung, leaving Naeun helpless to the two girls that were totally immersed by her ant-size waist.

"Wait." said Hayoung as she took a step back.

"What?"

"I don't think I can show my body....."

"Look at Naeun. She's got those scars on her body but she doesn't care, show it confidently and don't be afraid."

"Unnie...."

"If you don't do it, I'm gonna force it on you." said Eunji as she managed to grab hold of her shirt and pulled it upwards, only revealing a small portion of her stomach. But just by seeing her stomach, it was much worse than Naeun's.

"Hayoung-ah." said Eunji as she stopped and looked at her.

"I told you, unnie."

"S-Shouldn't we take you to the doctor? This isn't fine." said Eunji with her eyes wide open. She couldn't believe her eyes. Rather than scars or bruises that plastered on her body, it was something more serious. It was a flesh wound, evidence that she was struck with something sharp as blood clotted the surface. It was obvious that Hayoung tried to use her own powers to stop the bleeding but what shocked her was, how much pain Hayoung must've went through this whole time. She had no idea she was hiding an injury this whole time.

 

[END OF CHAPTER 6]

 

 

A/N: We've managed to learn more about Chorong's history but what will happen from here? What is going on with Hayoung who keeps so many secrets? Honestly, it was a challenge to write the action scenes but I hope that it was entertaining. Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of what you think will happen next! I will update soon~