The Nature Fairy

Fairies

 

 

Eunji just stared blankly at Chorong, as if she was telling a joke. The two other girls looked confused as well, looks like the sudden news of them having "powers" took a toll on their mental stability. After all, magic was simply a piece of fiction made from fantasies. No one would've ever thought that fairies were even real. Them being "fairies" itself was like a pure, blatant lie. But the truth was right in front of them. Bomi's lightning wrapped around her fingers, Naeun's icy aura that started to gather around her body and the warm flare on Chorong's palm that actively danced on top, it was all evidence that magic was in fact, real.

"The fire tells me that, you're one of them too." said Chorong with a smile. For the thousand-year old fairy, she was relieved to find three of them in one go. She wouldn't have thought that finding them would be this easy. But, convincing however, was a different story.

"Hey..this is a dream right? Us having these weird powers? Should we go back to sleep? Bom-ah? Naeun-ah?" asked Eunji, questioning her sanity as she glanced at them.

"No Eunji-ya...it's not a dream. We have powers. You have powers. It's real." said Bomi.

"I...I don't even know anymore...." said Naeun still speechless. For her, she didn't know that was alone. In a sense, there was a mixed feeling of relief yet confusion. Why was she fated to have these icy powers in the first place? Why did she have powers that could hurt and kill others? Is it a blessing or a curse? So many thoughts filled through the girl's minds and soon, her legs gave way. Falling and sitting on the wooden floor, Naeun was in a shock.

Eunji quickly went to her side and pulled her back up. Looking at Chorong and Bomi, it was clear they had no idea what to do.

"Let's just go inside first. I think we all need some time to have this settled in." sighed Eunji.

As the four girls sat on the floor, there was a long, deep silence. They exchanged looks with each other and only a sigh could be reached.

"So you're saying all of us here have these weird powers and we...aren't human?" said Eunji slowly.

"Yes...I have to gather the five fairies back to heaven because I need your help. It may sound unreal but there is a lot of chaos going on with heaven and hell. Only with the six fairies, we can stop it together." said Chorong.

"Wow, this is really just something out of a fantasy movie." said Eunji with a speechless laugh. 

"But isn't that cool? To have powers and all that..I always thought that I wasn't human." pouted Bomi.

"Yeah, cause you're an idiot." sighed Eunji as she playfully poked Bomi's forehead.

"Whatever. Let's just find who ever is left....." mumbled Naeun, who finally spoke after settling down.

"Are you sure about that Naeun-ah? Are you alright now?" asked Eunji as she turned to her side, holding her shoulders and looked at her eyes. Naeun smiled in response.

"I know it's a little hard to take it in Naeun-ah but I think you'll begin to understand along the way." smiled Chorong who felt a sense of relief now that everyone had calmed down.

"But wait, what is Eunji's power anyway? I don't think I've seen her having weird things.." asked Bomi.

"That's right. I had a completely normal life, my mom and dad took good care of me, I don't have any enemies and I don't remember anything that made others scared of me..." said Eunji.

"Of course, because your power is slightly harmless in a way. Have you ever gotten angry before?" asked Chorong.

"No...I mean I do get angry when those girls attack Naeun but I wouldn't really consider that anger..."

"Only when you experience extreme fury, your powers will awaken soon. Eunji-ya, you are the Nature Fairy. You have abilities to heal others and communicate with nature itself. Animals and plants, are one with you."

"Ah, so that's why Eunji loves singing..." said Bomi who figured something out.

"Eunji unnie always sings alone by herself and for some reason, birds would start coming near her." said Naeun.

"I remember there was one time, a dog appeared as well! I was totally surprised!" laughed Bomi as she reminsced the memory.

"And the dog tried to jump on Eunji unnie, it was an absolute disaster" laughed Naeun.

"Ah..please don't make me remember that!" said Eunji getting shy as she playfully covered Bomi and Naeun's mouth. Chorong who looked at this funny situation, laughed along as well. Soon enough, the worries and anxiety dissapeared and the girls were no longer surprised at the fact that they were not humans. But in the middle of their ongoing conversation, Eunji suddenly checked the time on her phone and gasped.

"Guys, we are 30 MINUTES late for school!!" shouted Eunji.

"WHAT? CRAP LET'S GO GUYS!" shouted Bomi as the three quickly scrambled to get their belongings and headed to the door.

"Sorry Chorong unnie, we will get going first. I think we can discuss this at another time." said Naeun who politely bowed before being dragged by Eunji.

Chorong watched the three high-schoolers run until she could no longer see them in a distance. With a small laughter escpaing , she figured that these girls were definitely something. Like a mother looking at her three children, the thousand-year old fairy was all smiles. 

"Well, I guess I should start finding the other two." mumbled Chorong to herself as she locked the house and headed off.

 

 

~X~

 

 

The three girls arrived at the closed school gate and one by one, helped and carried each other over the gate. 

"Naeun-ah, are you going to be alright? I don't think you've ever been late to school before." said Eunji as she catched her breath.

"Don't worry about me unnie, you two should go first since....you're always..." 

"Yeah we skip classes a lot. Let's go Eunji-ya!" said Bomi as the two girls ran off first. The same-aged friends carefully squatted and crept past their classroom, carefully opening the back door. The moment they opened, there was a full lesson running and the teacher was busy teaching. Bomi's expression stiffened but she took a deep breath and sneakily walked past the first, few tables. Eunji followed along however, her sneaker let out a squeak as she walked against the wooden floor. 

"Crap!" whispered Eunji.

"Hey!" whispered Bomi as she looked back at her friend but soon, heard the teacher clearing his throat.

"My my, you two are really famous in school." said the teacher as he walked towards them.

"Hi teacher....uh....isn't it great that we are famous?" grinned Bomi with a nervous laughter.

"Famous for being skipping classes that is. You two, come see me after class." smiled the teacher as he looked at Eunji and walked back. The same-aged friends looked at each other and smiled, giving each other a high-five as they sat at their desks. The teacher who heard the loud high-five at the back, turned around again and asked if they wanted to do extra punishments instead. The duo instead shook their heads furiously like dumb and dumber. This made the whole class laughed out loud. It was always the two, that made an image out of themselves as hilarious fools in class but can be dangerously scary if you hurt their loved ones.

Naeun on the other hand, walked into class and apologized to her teacher just like any other normal student. 

"I'm sorry Naeun-ah, you may be an excellent role model and have wonderful grades but rules are rules. You will still have to attend detention classes later. I will see you after class, please go to your seat." said the teacher.

"It's alright teacher, I understand." smiled Naeun as she bowed. However, a boy at the back stood up that made everyone cheer. (well, just the boys)

"Teacher, why don't I take Naeun's place instead? I'll be her dark knight." smiled the boy.

"Not this again..." mumbled Naeun as she felt uncomfortable. She knew that a lot of boys in not just her class but the whole school had crushes on her, they would do anything to make her fall for them. Already, she could felt the jealous stares of the girls. It was something she experienced every single day, which was often why she always hung out with Eunji and Bomi because they always protected her.

"Lee Taemin. Sit down. Naeun has nothing to do with you. Now, where were we?" said the teacher as she continued her lesson as usual.

During lunch break, Eunji, Bomi and Naeun all headed into the detention room which was a place of "self-reflection". Students had to stay silent and write a long essay about their wrong-doings. Of course, the duo slept instead while Naeun diligently wrote her paper. Looking at them fall asleep, Naeun could only smile. Always feeling thankful for them, the girl also wrote the essays for Eunji and Bomi. Not wanting to wake them up, Naeun quietly left the room and placed the written papers on their respective desks.

About 15 minutes later, Eunji woke up and saw her empty paper, now fully written. The neat handwriting was far too obvious to notice who it was.

"Bomi-ya, wake up." whispered Eunji as she tapped her shoulder.

"Is it time to eat yet?" mumbled Bomi as she rubbed her eyes.

"We should go and thank Naeun-ah. Look." said Eunji as she pointed towards the completed papers.

"Wow. Let's go. I'll buy her favourite food, chicken." said Bomi.

"Are you sure you even got the money for that?" laughed Eunji.

'Uh....crap." said Bomi with a nervous laugh as she checked her pockets.

As the two exited the room and walked along the corrider, they could hear something outside the window. With a suspicious feeling, the two looked down at the window and it was just as they had expected. A group of girls ganged up on Naeun again, this time at the secluded school garden.

"These bastards really don't stop huh?" sighed Eunji as the two ran downstairs where the garden was.

"You were lucky yesterday Son Naeun. If it weren't for your "saviour", I would've cut all of your hair by now." said one girl as she held the scissors in her hand up high.

"Taemin oppa likes you because you are pretty. I wonder if he will still like you when you are bald." said another as other girls held tightly onto Naeun to the point where she couldn't move a single muscle.

It was then, the generator at the garden that was used to operate the sprinklers suddenly bursted into a flare of electricity. This shocked the girls, momentarily stopping their movements. Before they could even continue, Eunji barged into the crowd with ease, pulling Naeun away from their grip. There was a very dark, angry expression on Eunji's face as she tightly grabbed Naeun's arms.

"N-not you again....dammit! Let's go girls!" said the leader of the pack as the group began their flee. But another spark from the generator surprised the girls and Bomi appeared in front of them, stopping their steps.

"I had enough of what you guys are doing...seriously..." sighed Bomi as she crossed her arms.

"Please, it's not like you can fight all ten of us." said one of the girls who seemed determined to fight the two.

"Oh? Are you sure about that?" said Bomi with a smile as she snapped her fingers, allowing another bright spark appear from the generator. Eunji signalled Bomi to not use her powers, but she didn't seem to compromise. As the girls just stared in fear, they shivered and ran for their lives, screaming that there was a monster. Soon enough, the garden was quiet again and it was just the three girls.

"Hey Bom-ah, if you let everyone know that you have powers, we're in trouble." said Eunji in her Busan accent as she was flustered at what Bomi did.

"Unnie, it doesn't really matter anymore." said Naeun as she looked at Eunji.

"That's right Eunji-ya, we don't even belong here anyway. What's the point of going to school? I bet going to the place Chorong unnie said as heaven would be a better place from this torn world." said Bomi as she sighed, her anger slowly dissapearing away and walking towards Naeun's side. 

"You aren't hurt anywhere right Naeun-ah?" asked Bomi as she scanned her arms, body, everywhere.

"I'm fine, don't worry. It tickles whenever you do that" said Naeun as she broke into a laughter.

"Oh? I didn't know you were that ticklish?" grinned Bomi in mischief as she tickled Naeun again.

"Guys, stop." said Eunji in a serious tone. There were still a lot of thoughts going through her head. Unlike her same-aged friend, Eunji was more rational and often thought about consequences ahead. She wondered what their future would become, because they were not normal mortals.

"What's wrong Eunji-ya? Does having powers bother you?" asked Bomi.

"I'll have to confirm it myself. Chorong unnie said that my power is to heal right?" asked Eunji as she walked towards a small patch of wilted flowers.

"Oh? Will I finally be able to hear you sing?!" said Bomi in excitement. Even though the two had known each other since childhood, Eunji was always shy to sing in front of others. The only person she has ever sung to was her only best friends, Bomi and Naeun. Eunji always thought that her singing was terrible, tone-deaf and knew there were better people than her.

"She's going to sing?" said Naeun, surprised.

"Naeun-ah, she is going to be the next vocal powerhouse" whispered Bomi as the two watched Eunji squat in front of the wilted flowers, her palms gently holding onto one of the petals.

Soon, the air was filled with a beautiful vocal harmony. A calming voice that eased the heart, a song that was sung from Jung Eunji. Her vocals echoed the garden and suddenly, the wilted flowers retained its colours back and became alive again. Not only that, flocks of birds started to surround Eunji as they chirped along her singing. Bomi and Naeun who looked on, were amazed at what they saw. 

"Unnie, look!" said Naeun as she showed to Bomi the bruise she had on her wrist, was slowly fading away.

"Oh my god! This is awesome!" gasped Bomi with a smile. 

Eunji who realised that she was surrounded by birds, stopped singing and simply laughed.

"What is this supposed to be~" laughed Eunji, speechless at what she has done.

"Like I said Eunji-ya, powers are real. Admit it, you are a fairy." said Bomi with a wide grin. 

"The birds keep staring at you unnie..." giggled Naeun.

"Hi, do you want to be my friend?" asked Eunji to the birds.

"My name is Yoon Bomi. What's yours?" asked Bomi as the duo was back at their foolish acts again. Naeun just laughed, seeing the two being idiotic again.

"Hey, where are you going? You don't wanna be my friend?" pouted Bomi as the birds flew away, one by one.

"They will probably come back if I sing again Bom-ah. Don't worry, you'll get to know them soon." 

"True."

"I'm glad that you look relieved unnie." smiled Naeun, realising the change of expressions on Eunji. Before, Eunji had a lost, confused look on her when Chorong told her that she had powers. But after confirming it, the older girl was back to her normal, cheerful self.

"Let's go back home to where Chorong unnie is. Let's go help her find the other two!" said Bomi in excitement. She was thrilled to find others who had powers like them. 

"You're going to skip school? We still have classes after lunch break." said Naeun.

"Just like what Bomi said, what's the point of going to school anymore? We are all going to a happier place anyway. Naeun-ah, are you coming too?" asked Eunji as she reached out her hand.

For a moment, Naeun paused and thought carefully about what the girl had said. For the past years, she had suffered being bullied by others just because she was "too pretty". She was bashed because boys fell in love with her beauty, stealing their hearts and making girls jealous. She realised that being a "good girl" wasn't everything there was to happiness, hiding her powers brought her more pain. She wanted to break free of the image she had to create, she wanted to feel her true self.

"I'll come along too. I don't need school anyway." smiled Naeun as she grabbed Eunji's hand.

"Oh~ whatever happened to the diligent Naeun that I knew?" said Bomi.

"What? I can be a bad student too." smiled Naeun.

"Naeun-ah. You've changed. In a good way." said Eunji as the three sneakily exited school from the garden, walking back to the run-down apartment where Chorong was.

As soon as they arrived, Bomi and Eunji's apartment was suddenly sparkling clean. The trash and dirt that stayed for several years were all gone, the horrible scent was immediately replaced with a refreshing scent similiar to flowers. Their clothes were washed and neatly folded in a corner, the floor was now spotless, without a single spect of smudges.

"Wow, unnie what did you do?" said Bomi as she entered first, finding Chorong quietly reading a book in a corner.

"I haven't smell this kind of scent in AGES!" said Eunji.

"The three of you are back early. Does school finish that early?" asked Chorong as she placed her book down. Bomi took a peek at it and saw the title "Dummy's Guide To Becoming A Good Housewife". The three girls laughed out loud at what book Chorong was reading.

"Unnie! Why on earth are you even reading this?!" said Bomi as she couldn't stop laughing.

"Do you want to get married that badly?" joked Eunji.

"No, i found this book in a rubbish bin outside the apartment while I was cleaning. It seemed quite interesting so I followed whatever was written here and look, your home looks cleaner than before." said Chorong, clueless to what they were saying.

"Ah...Eunji unnie, Bomi unnie...Remember that Chorong unnie isn't from this world. She doesn't understand all these terms that you're saying." said Naeun who realised something.

"Oh yeah, you're right Naeun-ah. Looks like we have to teach her a little how we live life." said Eunji.

"Were you able to find the other two unnie?" asked Bomi. Chorong smiled in response.

"Yup. In fact, they are quite nearby. But I don't know the way so I was waiting for you guys to come back first." said Chorong as she showed her palm to the three girls, where the small flare indicted where the remaining two were.

"Let's go! I know where that place is." said Eunji who had an idea the moment she took a glance at Chorong's palm.

"That's the old internet cafe about 10 minutes walk from here right? Man, I haven't visited that place in ages." said Bomi.

"Yeah, we used to hang out whenever we skipped school but you so bad at games so you went somewhere else to play." laughed Eunji as the same-aged friends began reminscing their memories together.

"Um, let's talk about this later and find them first." said Chorong as she stood up.

"Alright, let's go unnie." said Bomi as the four headed out.

 

 

~X~

 

 

[In an internet cafe not far from the area]

 

 

It was in the middle of the afternoon and evening, often a time where people continued their work or studies after a fulfilling lunch break. However, inside the old internet cafe where it is normally packed with enthusiastic gamers at night, was empty. Of course, no one would want to play computer games at this hour but in the far-hand corner of the empty rows of computer desks, was a hooded girl with short, light brown hair. Her eyes were glued to the PC, as she fiercely attacked her keyboard and was completely engrossing in playing a popular shooting game.

This girl has been sitting in the same position since 8am in the morning. There were various opened snacks scatttered all over the table, empty ramen noodle cups and bottles of carbonated drinks to keep her active in her playing. Her grey hoodie and round glasses was a typical look of a computer geek. Occassionally reaching out for some chips in the middle of her game, the girl kept silent and continued to play her games. She was busy running through a ranking game and her character name was "MasterOh" with an attained level of 250, one of the highest levels in the game. Suddenly, her phone started to ring. It was located in a far corner, about two computer desks away.

"Tsk, I'm in the middle of a ranking game right now..." mumbled the girl as her eyes wavered towards the ringing phone and back onto the computer screen. 

The phone continued to ring and soon stopped. But the phone started to ring for the second time. This time, the girl stopped and looked around. She raised her hand towards the direction of the phone and opened her palm. All of the sudden, the phone started to float in the air and slowly flew into her hands. Grabbing the phone, she took a quick look at who it was. 

"Mom."

Even at a quick glance, the girl didn't bother and her hands went straight back into the keyboard. The phone dropped by itself onto the table and the ringing stopped. For about 10 minutes, the girl continued to play her game as if nothing happened. However, she noticed something outside the window. As she was sitting in the far corner, she could easily see who was outside the internet cafe. She can't help but to be distracted by a large group of men, surrounding a high school girl.

"No, you don't know them. Don't try to create trouble by yourself..." mumbled the girl as she played her game.

But, she could hear a loud scream from the girl. Her fingers stopped moving on the keyboard. 

"Dammit." cursed the girl as she got out of her seat, pulling her hoodie over her head and headed outside.

"Come on girlie, don't you have time to hang out a bit?' asked a tall, muscular guy as he cornered the high school girl.

"You're wearing such a pretty skirt today. Won't you let me see what's underneath?" said another.

"N-No! Please, just leave me alone!" said the girl in a trembling voice.

"Hey." said a voice from behind. It was the girl in the hoodie.

Before any of the men could say a single word, the girl stared at them, snapped her fingers and they suddenly collapsed to the ground. Immediately, she went back inside quickly as if nothing happened. The other girl however, was just flabbergasted as to what happened and ran after the girl.

"W-Wait! What's your name?" asked the girl who quickly held onto her hand.

"Hayoung. Don't come after me. Just go away, as if you saw nothing. Please." said the girl as she removed her hand from the girl and went back inside the cafe. The girl took a quick glimpse at her, she was like your typical high school girl who wore makeup all over her face, was pretty and surprisingly had a big mouth.

"I-I'm Namjoo!" said the girl before the door slammed in front of her. For some reason, Namjoo's heart fluttered. It appears that she didn't realise that Hayoung was a girl because of the hoodie, and assumed that Hayoung was a guy because of her tall height.

"That guy is really weird but cool....." mumbled Namjoo to herself.

With a sudden smile, she muttered to herself "I'll make him mine!" as she headed home with a thumping heart. Nothing would stop Namjoo once her mind was decided on something.

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 3]

 

 

A/N: And with that, all six of Apink had made their appearence! What do you think Hayoung's and Namjoo's powers are? Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts, this chapter was more of a 2eun, bona type. I will update soon~