The War

Fairies

 

The moment Hayoung took a step into the portal, everything changed. The world was different, it was no longer the peaceful Earth that she had always dreamed of. She was now transported back to Heaven, opening her eyes to see her unnies waiting for her. As she looked around, the portal sent them back to their apartment that was now, rummaged and trashed, possibly done by guards to search of their whereabouts. Rather than being greeted by a peaceful, humble sound, there was only loud sounds of explosion, thunder striking and many other that indicated that the war had already begun.

"Gosh, why am I wearing this white dress? It's going to be so hard for me to move in this." said Eunji shyly as she awkwardly stared at it.

"They made a total mess out of our home. They even threw out the ramen that we planned on eating!" pouted Bomi as she picked up the packaged noodles on the floor.

"Namjoo-ya, why is your face red?" asked Naeun.

"I-It's nothing unnie...really...." stuttered Namjoo, still unable to forget the sudden kiss that Hayoung gave her before entering the portal.

"Okay, looks like everyone's here. The war has already begun so let's get moving." said Chorong as she opened the window outside, observing the on-going battle nearby the tower and then, turning around to look at the five fairies.

"Unnie, is there like a way to remove this dress. It's embarassing...." said Eunji shyly.

"Then go ahead and run ." said Chorong with a straight face.

"Never mind, I'll handle this somehow. So, where are we headed?" said Eunji with a nervous laugh as she glanced at Naeun who looked at her with a giggle.

"The prison is located at the lowest level of the tower. Bomi's been there before so I'm sure she knows the place much better than us." said Chorong.

"What, so I'm taking the lead now?" said Bomi surprised.

"Yup." said Chorong as she stared at the girl who was taken aback.

"Lead the way and we'll guard your back. I think there's some guards patrolling outside the apartment." said Hayoung as she quietly peeked through the hole of the door.

"Let's wreck havoc!" grinned Bomi as she cracked her knuckles.

With energy, Eunji and Bomi headed on first, opening the door with a loud kick as two guards appeared in front of them. Immediately, they combined their powers together and created a lightning bolt fused with earth elements together. Striking against them, the guards were hopeless in front of them as it stabbed through their bodies, immediately killing them.

"Nice job Bom-ah!" said Eunji as she high-fived her same-aged friend.

"Unnie, are we supposed to kill them? Can't we just make them faint or heavily injured?" asked Namjoo in worry. Although her mind was still filled with the thoughts of Hayoung's kiss, she figured that it was better to ask her at a later time. What was important now, was the war.

"It doesn't feel right to kill them...." said Naeun.

"The two of you really....can't kill people can you? Let me do it instead. Wait for me Bomi unnie! Eunji unnie!" sighed Hayoung as she looked at the two girls and later ran after the Earth and Thunder Fairy that created a ruckus downstairs.

"Do however you wish. It's up to you whether you want to kill them or not. After all, they are just guards who are following orders from the superiors." said Chorong as she smiled at the two, wanting to give comfort for the two fairies who couldn't bear to use their powers to actually kill someone.

"Come on, we need to chase after those three who are enjoying themselves a bit too much." said Chorong as the three ran after them. Upon reaching downstairs, there were already bodies of guards scattered all over the floor. It was definitely the work of the energetic three who were just eager to finally use their powers.

"Why are they so easy to beat? They're nothing like before." said Bomi as she stared at a dead guard, slightly kicking his body to see if he was still alive.

"Like they said, when we fall in love, we become stronger don't we?" grinned Eunji as she looked at her palms, impressed at the overwhelming power she could feel through her veins.

"So I should kiss Chorong unnie more right?" said Bomi with a wide smile.

"I'm not letting you do that here." glared Chorong.

"Uh, I think we can save the chit-chat for later. Another group of guards are coming." said Eunji as a barricade of guards blocked their entry to the tower. With an overwhelming number of a thousand, the fairies were surrounded but they were not afraid.

Eunji smashed her hand towards the ground, causing it to shake fiercely like an earthquake which allowed Bomi to throw a lightning bolt between the cracks, creating an explosion. Naeun on the other hand, used her powers to perfectly freeze the guards into a human ice sculpture. This was later followed by Namjoo who summon a gigantic rush of tsunami across, pushing the entire force away as Hayoung strengthened the push by increasing it with a roar of wind across. With the enemies cornered, it was finished by Chorong who struck her fiery powers that burned them alive. Hearing their screams, the Fire Fairy was sorry but she could not help them. This was what a war was. The fairies may have fun using their powers but they did not realise that it held the ability to really kill someone in terms of brutality. It was the real thing.

With the combination of the fairies, the guards that blocked their way were gone within a split second. With the path cleared, they rushed into the tower where bodies scattered all over the ground. It was evident that the goddesses and gods passed by the area as they were busy heading to where The Great Almighty was. Climbing down the stairs where the prison was located, there were more enemies awaiting them. But they were simply too easy to handle for the powerful fairies.

"We'll stay guard here, go rescue Sunny unnie and whoever else that's in there!" shouted Eunji as she, Hayoung and Namjoo stood in a line, acting as a barrier while the other three headed inside the prison.

"Hold on alright? We'll be right back!" said Naeun as she took one last look behind here, only to see Eunji giving her a smile of reassurance.

With the three finding their way into the prison, it was time for the actual fight. Reinforcements have arrived as they charged straight towards the three fairies.

"Come, let's kick their asses." smirked Eunji as she cracked her knuckles.

"Sure thing unnie. The one who kills the most, pays for dinner." said Hayoung.

"Okay, call." said Eunji, agreeing to the deal.

"Y'know this isn't some game...." sighed Namjoo as she watched the two, competing with each other.

Hayoung placed her hand forward and quickly closed her palm which suddenly caused a small group of guards to faint in front of her. She managed to figure out how to alter the oxygen levels in the air and it was a very useful technique. Eunji on the other hand, learned a new ability where she could actually summon animals and plants to her aid. It was fascinating for the Nature fairy as tigers and lions appeared from her palm, eventually growing into size as they jumped onto the guards. She also made tree roots to appear from the ground, temporarily halting their movements.

"Hey, it's not fair if the two of you flaunt your powers! I want to show off too!" said Namjoo, jealous that the two were having so much "fun" with their powers. Barging straight into the hallway, she made hand formations which enable her to create a whirlpool in the centre of her palm. As it grew bigger, she threw it across which struck right in the middle of the enemy, tearing their bodies apart. Unable to stand the gore she had done, the Water Fairy always had to close her eyes whenever she killed someone. It was just, not her style to do such a horrible thing.

It seemed like an easy battle as the three fairies had no problem handling the enemies, who fell down one by one. But it was at that moment, they could feel a sudden aura nearby. It was indeed powerful, something that they had never felt before. From afar, there was a tall, slim man who walked down the stairs casually in a black suit with sunglasses on. He had quite the fashion sense as the guards suddenly made way for him.

"I figured you'd be here. My senses are always right. You guards can leave, I'll take care of them myself." said the man as he stopped, staying a distance from the fairies who looked at him carefully, staying alert while the group of guards dispersed upon his order. It was now a three against one.

"Now why are you girls looking at me like that? Are you scared? Well, you should be. You are all naughty girls who are breaking the rules." said the man with a smile as he suddenly snapped his fingers. Within a split second, Eunji sensed that something was wrong. Thanks to her quick reflexes, the Nature Fairy quickly pulled Hayoung and Namjoo to the side as a rush of blue air flew pass, almost hitting them.

"Thanks for the save unnie." said Namjoo.

"Be careful unnies. I don't think he's like the other guards. There's something different about him." warned Hayoung as she got up.

"How dare he try to pull off a sneaky attack like that....Namjoo-ya, Hayoung-ah, let's go. Attack him with all we got!" said Eunji, slightly intimidated by the man's presence but yet, her will burned strongly. With her words, the three fairies went onto a head-on battle with the mysterious man whose powers were unlike other.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Chorong, Bomi and Naeun walked down the long stairwell that lead to the prison hidden deep underneath. To their surprise, there were no guards around. As they walked and searched the hundreds of empty cells, Sunny was no where to be found. The prison was far too big and hollow for a small-three-man team especially when they were running out of time. In frustration, Bomi decided to do something that might bring them more trouble. A powerful, loud shout.

"Damn it. SUNNY UNNIE! HEY! ARE YOU THERE?! SUNNNNY UNNIE!!! WE ARE HERE TO SAVE YOU!!! PLEASE TELL US WHERE YOU ARE! WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME! SUNNY UNNIE!" shouted Bomi with all her might. Her voice echoed loudly like a roar.

"What are you doing you idiot?! You're going to let other enemies know where we are!" scolded Chorong in an angry whisper.

"Wait unnie. Do you hear that?" said Naeun as she told the two to be quiet. Carefully, they could hear a very distant sound of something knocking against the cell. It was done in a three-point rhythm. For one minute, the fairies listened and followed the direction of the sound. It lead them to a hidden cellar which had another layer of staircase below. Slowly, the sound got louder and louder as the fairies found themselves in a seperate cell, shocked at the sight that they saw. Right in front of their eyes, was Sunny. Her helpless body was strapped like a doll against chains attached to the wall, bruises and blood filled her entire face as the goddess was barely trying to stay alive. 

"What the did they do to you?" cursed Bomi to which Namjoo nudged her, warning her not to activate her vulgarity.

"Sunny unnie!" gasped Chorong as she ran to her side, immediately removing the chains and placing the goddess into her arms.

"L-Looks like the war has started..." said Sunny with a faint smile as she suddenly coughed out blood.

"We need to get Eunji. Now." said Chorong in urgency.

"I'll get her." said Naeun as she ran back upstairs while Bomi decided to stay behind.

"Go and follow her Bom-ah."

"No, I'm staying here to protect you."

"It's dangerous out there. Do as I say and protect Naeun."

"But unnie..."

"Go Bom-ah! Stop acting like a child and do as I say!" shouted Chorong. The Thunder Fairy was taken aback, watching her eyes water. It was when she realised, it was a desperate situation.

"G-Got it." said Bomi in a soft voice as she ran after Naeun. It gave her something to think about, seeing a side of Chorong that she never seen before. She could tell from her eyes that Sunny was a very important person to her. Almost, like a motherly figure. From one look, she could understand that there was fear. It was far too obvious that Chorong was afraid of losing her, losing someone that she loved dearly.

"You shouldn't be here Chorong-ah...you should leave immediately...." said Sunny while struggling with her words.

"Please don't say anything unnie. Please. You will make it worse." said Chorong, trying to hold in her tears. She had never imagine that her sacrifice would become like that. It was obvious that the goddess was tortured and forced to tell their hidden whereabouts. But, Sunny was a strong lady who kept her secrets tightly locked. It didn't matter how much pain she felt as long as the young ones were safe and sound.

"Chorong-ah, unnie is glad that you look happier now....ever since you lost the war, you've never been your usual self. Don't you know that I've always been watching you all along? I've always been worried about you....after all, I'm the one that raised you....taught you....and now you are all grown up and able to guide your own team.....I'm proud of you....." said Sunny with a painful smile. She began to reminsce the times of the once, little Chorong who followed her everywhere. Even though at first, her friends didn't approve her of nurturing a fairy because of the fact that they were simply "clones" of the goddesses, Sunny did not care and raised Chorong like her own daughter. That was until, the Great Almighty took her in and she eventually became a worker who did dirty jobs. They were seperated apart for hundereds of years until today, in her arms as she could only feel pain flowing throughout her body, almost reaching her last breath.

"Please don't say that......please don't say that unnie! If you do that....you're going to..." said Chorong as her tears finally flowed down.

"You should leave me. Go and help your kids. Go and protect them, just like what I did. Please, Chorong-ah, I ask of you." begged Sunny as she took a deep breath, having difficulty to continue her words.

"But unnie..."

"They are still young and inexperienced, you must nurture them properly and make them walk the right path. This warzone is far too dangerous for them, you must take them back to Earth. I don't think the goddesses told you their initial plan in the beginning....because they didn't want you to know....."

"What do you mean?"

"This war.....is a suicide mission."

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

On the other hand, Naeun finally reached the top of the prison as she ran straight into the on-going battlefield where Eunji, Namjoo and Hayoung were. Standing at the entrance, she paused as she observed the girls fighting with a mysterious man who had no effect on their powers at all. Even from afar, the Ice Fairy could sense his strong, overwhelming power. Just who in the world was he?

"Eunji unnie!" shouted Naeun, hoping that her call would reach her.

"N-Naeun?" said Eunji as she turned around to see the girl standing there in the open space.

"Naeun-ah! What are you doing here! It's dangerous! Get out!" shouted Eunji as she tried to maintain her focus fighting while talking to her from the far distance.

"We need you to come downstairs quickly! It's about-" shouted Naeun who did not see what was coming in front of her. The man who noticed the opening used this chance to throw a sharp, yellow lightning splint towards the Ice Fairy. With sharp reflexes, Eunji realised where it was headed as she ran towards Naeun with all her might. Within that split second, all Naeun could hear was the sound of a flesh opening as the splint stabbed right through the left side of Eunji's abdomen. The Nature Fairy used her entire body as a shield to protect her, spreading her arms out wide.

"Your knight has come to rescue you." said Eunji with a smile but immediately afterwards, she coughed out blood following her injury as she slowly, fell to the ground losing her conciousness.

"EUNJI UNNIE!" screamed Naeun in shock, realising what she had done. All the Ice Fairy could do was to place her hand over the wound, applying pressure to stop the bleeding.

"! You bastard, how dare you do something so sneaky!" shouted Hayoung in anger as she sent another wave of powerful winds but was smoothly dodged by the man who had no problem avoiding it.

"Hayoung-ah, this guy...is strong. We have to be careful!" warned Namjoo, not wanting to have the thought of Eunji disturbing her concentration.

"I swear I'm going to pay this guy a lesson for hurting her!" shouted Hayoung as she charged straight at the man, no longer in her sane state as revenge was all she could think of.

"You idiot!" said Namjoo, knowing that this was a bad move. Chasing after the furious Air Fairy who constantly tried to fight back was frustrated that none of her powers were working against the man. It was in that second, Hayoung thought of something. If her magical powers won't work, how about physical attacks? Although it was risky but it was worth the try. As she threw yet another roll of wind towards the man who dodged it like it was nothing, Hayoung used that chance to kick his abdomen. However, the man's reflexes were far too quick. Quickly, the man grabbed hold of her leg and swung her towards the side, throwing her against the hard wall.

"HAYOUNG-AH!" shouted Namjoo as she went to her side. 

"I-I'm okay. Don't worry about me, worry about him first..." said Hayoung, feeling the numbness flowing against her back. She could not even move her legs after the blow.

"First, you hurt Eunji unnie and now you throw Hayoung into the wall like she's a doll! How cruel can you get?!" shouted Namjoo as she turned around only to see the man staring down at her. Just by one look, the Water Fairy felt like she was just a tiny ant in his eyes.

"You fairies are weak. You should be ashamed of having those powers." said the man as he lifted his arm, ready to hit Namjoo across the other side. The moment it was about to touch her, a strong force suddenly pushed the man all the way to the other side, crushing him onto the wall. As dust from the cracked concrete walls blurred their visions, Namjoo could see silhouttes of two tall men who walked towards her. It definitely reminded her so much of a scene from her favourite drama, "Goblin" but the girl was not sure whether they were enemies or allies.

"Leave that guy to us. Sorry, I forgot your name. You are?" said the man with a smile, slowly revealing himself as he helped Namjoo up.

"Can't believe he took the chance to hurt young girls like you. I'm going to hurt him real hard for that." said the other as he looked at Hayoung and asked if she was okay to which The Air Fairy nodded in response.

"The two of you.....if i remember you're The God of Speed, Minho-ssi and you're Taecyeon-ssi, the God of Strength right?" said Namjoo trying to recall her memory.

"Yep. Don't worry about forgetting our names because we can't remember you either haha...." said Taecyeon with an awkward laughter.

"It's because you only remember Yuri right?" shrugged Minho as he looked behind to check up on the enemy. Indeed, he was a strong foe. The collison to the wall didn't have a single effect on him as the man got off from the hole and cracked his shoulders.

"There's not much time left but Tiffany sent us here. It's too dangerous out here, you fairies need to return back to Earth immediately. Form the portal with all six of you and leave." said Taecyeon, informing the girls on the current situation.

"But we just arrived and we haven't even rescued anyone yet!" said Namjoo confused.

"The goddesses are planning on a suicide mission. They're going to combine their powers together and form a gigantic explosion that will pretty much destroy Heaven into pieces. It's a crazy idea but we've got no choice. The Great Almighty isn't keen on letting them do whatever they want. You fairies have to live on without us, carry our will and find our reincarnated-selves once we're gone alright?" said Taecyeon trying to explain to Namjoo in a calm and slow manner.

"Hyung, we have no time. He's coming back." said Minho as he tapped Taecyeon's shoulder, signalling him that the man was walking right towards them.

"Sorry. The best we can do is distract him from harming you girls because there's no way you can fight against one of the three superior generals, Park Jin Young! Please follow Tiffany's orders, that's all I can ask of you!" said Taecyeon as the two men proceeded to fight head-on against the powerful man while smoothly leading him far away from the girls. Soon, the battlefield was empty leaving only the injured fairies alone as they tried to absorb what they had just heard.

Namjoo looked around only to see Naeun in tears as she held onto Eunji tightly in her arms and Hayoung who could no longer walk. The Water Fairy had no idea what to do. She was not in the right mind to make proper decisions anymore when her loved ones were at the risk of dying from their injuries. Frozen in her position, she could not move as all she could do was cry.

"Namjoo unnie....do you think maybe I won't be able to walk anymore?" asked Hayoung with a smile as she looked at her.

"You idiot! Stop saying such things! Why on earth did you even try to kick when you know that you would fail? Why would you do that?" said Namjoo as she sobbed, turning to the maknae who laid flat on the ground, half-paralyzed after being thrown to the wall.

"You should go to Eunji unnie. Her injury is much worse than mine and....I can't stand seeing Naeun unnie cry like that.....I can't stand to see you cry either....."

"What can I do even if I go to her? I can't magically heal her, I'm not a Nature Fairy. I...I can't do anything to save anyone....my powers are useless at a time like this....." sobbed Namjoo as she wiped her own tears.

"You and Naeun unnie should just leave us. Do as what Taecyeon oppa said so. Form the portal and leave with Chorong, Bomi and Naeun unnie."

"I'm not going to leave you. You think I'm stupid? You think I'm going to forgive you when you suddenly kissed me all of the sudden? Why did you do that? Was it because I was jealous that you only looked at Yuri unnie? Did you felt sorry for ignoring me?" said Namjoo, finally saying whatever that was on her heart.

"It's because I love you." said Hayoung all of the sudden.

"H-Huh?"

"You're the stupid one here unnie." said Hayoung with a quiet laugh.

"Hayoung-ah...are you in so much pain that you're just rambling nonsense now?"

"No...I'm really-" 

"WHAT THE HAPPENED HERE?!" shouted Bomi as she finally arrived at the top, only to see what had happened that was the aftermath of the battle. Looking left and right, the Thunder Fairy was already furious enough and ready to fight whoever harmed her friends. But there was no one, only the corpses of the previous enemies that the fairies took down earlier.

"Unnie....Eunji unnie is....." sobbed Naeun as she looked up to Bomi who clenched her fists. As much as she wanted to seek revenge, the Thunder Fairy was still sane enough to know what was best. Without even answering Naeun, the girl lifted Eunji over her shoulder with ease using her right arm. Despite Eunji's wound staining her clothes, that did not bother her all all. 

"Follow me Naeun-ah." said Bomi as she walked towards where Hayoung and Namjoo were. Again without a word, the Thunder Fairy single-handedly lifted Hayoung up with her left arm and carried the two injured fairies, walking back down to the prison where Chorong was. Namjoo and Naeun could only follow her, knowing that it was no longer safe to stay still anywhere.

"Unnie, Taecyeon and Minho oppa rescued us but he told us to leave Heaven right away, asked us to summon the portal and return back to Earth." said Namjoo explaining the situation to Bomi but instead, all she did was nod in response. The girl was surprised to see a serious side of the Thunder Fairy who would always joke around. It was at times like this where she was a reliable unnie when the leader was not around. 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

Back at the prison, Chorong froze upon hearing Sunny's words. Although it was hard to accept but it was the truth that they had tried to hide between the fairies. This was not a war where an agreement was supposed to be made. This was a war where everyone agreed to end their lives as a meaning of their protest. The eight goddesses had planned this since the very beginning because they were just tired of being immortal for so long, they were sick of living forever and seeing time pass so quickly in their eyes. In fact, it was all staged to let Sunny be caught by the superiors because they believed that someone had to be left behind to teach and raise the young fairies who would soon be the new hope against Heaven. But it looks like, it has failed terribly and now, it was a race against time to make the fairies escape before they were soon caught into the same suicide mission as the others.

"T-This is crazy unnie....why..." said Chorong confused at the goddesses's wild decision.

"It's the only way." said Sunny as she coughed again, her limits were reaching.

"No. We are going to take you back to Earth and take you to an actual hospital. We are not leaving you here."

"As always, you're stubborn as ever..." said Sunny with a smile. But it was at that moment, they could hear the sounds of someone running down the stairwell. It was the fairies, whose eyes changed so differently since before. It was eyes that have experienced war.

"What on earth happened out there?" gasped Chorong as she saw Bomi carrying Eunji and Hayoung in her arms while Naeun and Namjoo stood at the side.

"Unnie. Can you save Eunji? Can you?" said Bomi desperately as she looked into her eyes. The Thunder Fairy did not want to lose anyone, especially her same-age and childhood friend who was losing her life in front of her.

"Her wounds....she was attacked by one of the superiors.....I cannot heal her with my powers....." said Chorong as she tried to find another way to save her.

"I can." said Sunny as she struggled to turn her head in order to look at Bomi.

"Unnie....don't tell me...." said Chorong, having an idea as to what Sunny was planning.

"Put her right beside me..." whispered Sunny as she realised that her voice was slowly fading away. As ordered, Bomi carefully placed the unconcious Eunji right next to the wounded goddess.

"Leave it to me." said Sunny with a smile as she held Eunji's hands, making a formation with her other hand while white flames surrounded the two.

"What is she doing unnie?" said Bomi surprised as the three could only stand and watch.

"Sunny unnie....is giving up her life for her...." said Chorong, finding it difficult to speak the truth.

"Wait...WHAT?!" 

"She is going to die so that Eunji can live. That's what she's doing Bom-ah." said Chorong as she looked at Bomi with watery eyes.

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 15]

 

 

A/N: Goddess Sunny who will die in exchange for Eunji's life? The secret suicide mission that the goddesses kept from the fairies?! Just what is going on with the twist as they now must leave for Earth before it's too late? Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of what will happen next! I will try my best to update as soon as possible. :)