The Thunder Fairy

Fairies

 

 

The modern world we live in today, has never been at peace. Wars often break out within countries, the poor are suffering in poverty while the rich stand tall and high. Natural disasters take million of lives away while mortals continue to burn the land, causing pollution and disorder. In heaven however, is a different story. It is a quiet land, where workers of god struggle their best to make the world a better place. But the battle against the underworld has never stopped. 

The six fairies who control the main elements of Earth, were sent by God into a battlefield that was between life and death. The result, was the sole survivor and leader of the team who suffered the lost of her other five fairies. The Fire Fairy, Park Chorong went through many scars and pain to overcome her losses. Blaming that it was her fault and lack of command, she will now have to return back to Earth after 100 years in search of the new five. Fairies live forever, through the reincarnations of destined mortals and Chorong has been tasked on a mission to search for the next, five girls before it is too late.

 

 

 

[Somewhere in Seoul]

 

 

Rain poured heavily that one evening, people rushed indoors as it was now rush-hour, everyone was getting off from work and the traffic was congested. High school students would've finished their last classes and headed home, some would slack behind and hang out with their friends. It was a lively atmosphere despite the gloomy, rainy weather however, what seemed to stood out was a young girl, dressed in a full black hoodie and sat all alone under the bus stop. No one seemed to bother her existence, she looked like a kid at first but no one would've bat an eye that she was over 1000 years old. That's right, she was no human. She was a fairy that descended into Earth because of a mission that held such a heavy burden on her shoulders. A mission to search for the five missing fairies.

Park Chorong had been busy adapting into the city life for about a week now, she lives in an abandoned shelter and spends every day searching for the girls. She does not need to worry about electricity at night because she is the fire fairy, lighting up a blaze would've been easy in a snap of a finger. Fairies do not get hungry or have the need to go to the toilet, simply because they were not humans.

"Where are you girls?" sighed Chorong as she mumbled to herself, staring blankly at her palm where a circle of fire moved around. It was like a radar, to track the girls if they was nearby. It was then, the fire suddenly became hotter. An indication that someone was nearby. Chorong pulled her hoodie over and walked in the rain.

Along the streets, Chorong tried her best to not look obvious to anyone else. The world had become so different the last 100 years, she didn't know what to expect and tried to keep her guard up. Looking at her palm where the heat radar began to turn red quicker as soon as she was nearer to one of the reincarnated fairies, there was a big crowd of high school girls in front of the alleyway. They seemed to be in a place called "Arcade" and were extremely engrossed in a claw machine filled with toys. There was a lot of excitement and loud chatter among the high-pitched girls.

"Ah! Why can't I get it?!" shouted a girl in frustration as she banged against the glass. She had long brown hair and had several small features that made her quite cute. Her mole under her left cheek was the most prominent of them all. Pinned onto her uniform was a nametag that read as "Yoon Bomi"

"Just awhile ago, you were being all confident and said you'll get it!" said another girl.

Chorong carefully observed the group as she hid herself behind one of the arcade machines, she knew one of the girls had to be the chosen one.

"Hey, stop messing around! Give us back the money, you're wasting your time on this!" yelled another girl.

"You promised that you would get it! You lied you little !" yelled another.

Suddenly, the group that seemingly looked like a peaceful group of high school friends hanging out together turned into a chaotic betrayal. The girls started to gang up onto the girl, Bomi who began to demand their money back. Chorong who felt that something had to be done, was in a dilemma. She remembered very well that she must not use her powers in the human world, but in a situation like this, something had to be done. Secretly, she pulled her finger behind and placed it onto a cord that transferred her heat through the claw machine. 

Soon, the wires in the claw machine began to overheat and all of the sudden, something bursted inside. The girls were shocked and stopped. It was at this moment, Chorong quickly ran into the group, grabbed hold of Bomi's hand and pulled her out. Without saying anything, the two continued to run far away, until the group of girls were no longer seen. She knew from the beginning that this girl, was the chosen one.

"W-Wait!" said Bomi as she pulled Chorong and stopped her movements. Looking deeply into her eyes, there was only silence.

This made the fire fairy froze, she had no idea what to do in that situation. It was something she acted upon instinct and had no words to say anything. But before Chorong could open , the girl suddenly pulled her into an embrace. It was weird, she never hugged someone before and didn't know hugs were full of warmth and comfort.

"Thank you! I don't know who you are but you really saved me there!" said Bomi with a relieved smile.

"I-It's nothing...really..." said Chorong, flustered at the sudden hug. She wasn't used at skinship or rather, that was her first ever hug in about 1000 years.

"I should repay you! Are you hungry? I'll pay for your meals!" 

"It's okay, really..."

"No, I'll feel bad if I don't do anything. Come on, I'll bring you to a really great place!" smiled Bomi as she boldy grabbed Chorong's hand and draggedher along. It was obvious that Bomi was a rather straight-forward person with a lot of confidence, just like a thunder bolt.

Eventually, Chorong was dragged into a budae jjigae restuarant(army stew) and was simply astonished at how much Bomi ate. She didn't order one, two but three servings all for herself. But for some reason, the girl felt a sense of happiness and satisfaction just watching her eat. It was like looking at a happy child, eating a mother's cooking.

"Aren't you eating? It's really delicious!" asked Bomi, with food still stuffed in .

"It's okay, eat up." smiled Chorong.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Yoon Bomi!" said Bomi as she extended her hand for a handshake. Chorong looked at it and noticed soup splattered all over her hand. Instead of shaking her hand, Chorong took a tissue and wiped it.

"You really are a messy eater. I'm Park Chorong. Nice to meet you Bomi-ya."

"Bomi-ya? Are you older than me?"

"Yeah, I am."

"How old are you?"

"I'm one thousand- I mean, I'm 21 years old." said Chorong, almost revealing the fact that she wasn't human. Well, Bomi wasn't human either but she wouldn't know. The girl wondered how to tell Bomi that she was in fact, a reincarnation of a fairy. She was afraid that it was all a lie and she would be spouting nonsense. After all, she's experienced it before.

"Cool, I'm 19 years old! In my final year of high school!" 

"Bomi-ya, may I ask you a question?" asked Chorong carefully.

"Sure, go ahead." 

"Has there ever been a time where you thought that you weren't human?"

"Well unnie, does having a big appetite count? I don't think normal humans can eat so much like me." laughed Bomi.

"I didn't mean it that way but....was there a time like that?"

"Hmm....when I was younger, my mom told me that I fainted while exploring a forest. Apparently when she found me, the trees were strangely burnt down as if it was hit by lightning. I don't remember what happened back then but my mom doesn't want to tell me the full story."

After hearing Bomi's words, Chorong pondered how to tell the truth to her. Looking at the girl, she seemed rather aloof at times and had a pleasant laughter. She figured that there was only one way to convince her. The moment Bomi had her filling, she paid the bill as promised. The two soon headed outside the restuarant where the sun had finally set and it stopped raining.

"I guess this is farewell Chorong unnie. Thanks for helping me earlier." said Bomi with a smile that seemed to have a slight sadness in between.

"Come with me. I need to tell you something." said Chorong as she gently grabbed her hand, pulling her into an empty alleyway. For some reason, the older girl felt nervous holding her hands. As the two walked, she could hear a silent giggle.

"Why are you laughing Bomi-ya?" asked Chorong in confusion.

"Nothing. It just feels good to hold your hands unnie." grinned Bomi.

"What...is with you..." said Chorong flustered. For the first time, the fairy's heart fluttered. She had never felt such feeling before and it was strange to the girl.

"What do you need to tell me? Do you wanna ask for my phone number? We can keep in touch!" said Bomi in excitement.

"That's not what I meant Bomi-ya....you know when I asked you if you ever thought you were human?"

"Yeah?"

"Bomi-ya....I know this can be ridiculous to hear, but you're not a human."

The younger girl stared at her blankly, trying to process the words she had just heard from Chorong's mouth. Suddenly, Bomi's mouth spread widely into a smile.

"That's really cool! If I'm not human, then what am I?"

"You are a fairy. The reincarnation of the Thunder Fairy."

"So do I have powers like the one I see on television?"

"Not really..." said Chorong as she broke in a laughter. Her reaction was much different to what she had expected. She didn't realise how easy Bomi was to persuade. 

"Look at this Bom-ah." said Chorong as she raised her palm in front of Bomi's eyes, where a sudden spark of fire appeared in between her fingers.

"U-Unnie! Your hand is on fire! Shouldn't we go and find water to-"

"I'm fine Bom-ah. Don't worry. This is my power." said Chorong calmly.

"What do you mean unnie..."

"I am Park Chorong, the fire fairy and you, Bomi-ah, is the thunder fairy." said Chorong in a serious tone, looking directly into her eyes.

"B-But there's no way I have such powers unnie..."

"Bomi-ah." said Chorong as the flame in her hand dispersed, carefully holding onto Bomi's hands.

"I want you to breathe in deeply. Try to think back the moment when you fainted in the forest. Remember back, what you last saw." 

The younger girl trusted in her, despite only meeting her for the first time. Closing her eyes and her hands wrapped tightly around Chorong's, her memories went back where she was 12-years old. She could see herself running along a steep path, heavily scattered with big, large rocks and weeds. Rain had started to pour slowly and the young girl attempted to rush back home, in fear that her mother would scold her for playing in the rain. However, her foot slipped onto one of the rocks and Bomi remember falling into a nest of trees where she saw something, glaring in the rainy sky. It was as if a kind of thunderbolt struck towards her body, and that was all she could remember. She, was hit by lightning. No one would've survived the hit, but Bomi is alive and well today.

"I remember now unnie..." said Bomi, slightly taken aback by the sudden rush of memories. It was then, the girl felt a prickly feeling rushing through her palms and there it was, the strange power Chorong had talked about. A bright yellow electric appeared in between Bomi's fingers, she could feel the heat and it did not affect her skin. Bomi was indeed, The Thunder Fairy.

"Wow..." said Bomi, completely in fascination of her new powers.

"Now, the first thing is to control your-" before Chorong could say anything, Bomi yelled in excitement as she suddenly started to wave her arms about, making rays of lightning shoot all over the floor.

"Hey! Calm down Bom-ah!" said Chorong as she quickly grabbed Bomi by the shoulders.

"But this is really cool. I can be like those superheroes in the television!"

"No, Bom-ah. You shouldn't let anyone know that you have powers."

"Why unnie?"

"Look Bom-ah. You're not the only one. There are four other people who have powers just like you. That's why, I need your help. Once I've found everyone, I'll tell you and them the reason why you are like this."

"Seems fair enough unnie. It would be cool to meet other people like me! Count me in!" smiled Bomi as she was about to raise her hand upwards, but was immediately stopped by Chorong before she could start any destruction with her wild powers.

"Bom-ah. You need to learn how to control your power. I've realised that it becomes stronger when you are more excited. So, calm down." said Chorong in a calm manner.

"But how am I supposed to calm down unnie? This is all way too cool!"

The older girl could only sigh.

"Okay, okay. Unnie, hug me." said Bomi all of the sudden.

"W-What?!"

"Hug me. I'll calm down if you do."

"But that doesn't make sense!"

"Oh, it does. Hug me unnie." said Bomi with a smile.

Hesitantly, Chorong's face turned red and with small steps, she wrapped her arms around Bomi. Soon, lightning stopped flowing through the younger girl's fingers and she managed to control her powers.

"It worked...." said Chorong in surprise.

"Told you. Let's go unnie!" said Bomi as she grabbed her hand.

"T-To where Bom-ah?"

"Where else? To my home! Since we're going to be together now right?" smiled Bomi.

"R-Right....." said Chorong nervously. Things moved quite fast under Bomi's command, there was no stopping to what she wanted to do. But Chorong would have to get used to Bomi's peculiar behaviour, the two are going to be together for a long, long time.

 

 

 

~X~

 

[Meanwhile in a high school somewhere in Seoul]

 

 

It is already past schooling hours yet, there are still a couple of students hanging around the Hanlim Arts School. Some stayed behind due to club activities while others studied overnight. However without the teachers around, things are sure to get out of hand. In an empty hallway along the 3rd floor of the school, there was a group of girls surrounding a girl, frightened and almost in tears.

"How dare you look at oppa like that!" yelled one as she hit her fist against the wall.

"Why is it always you that oppa looks at? Should I cut that hair of yours so that oppa won't look at you anymore?" said another as she started to take out scissors from her bag.

"I'll show Taemin oppa that he doesn't deserve a girl like you" said one girl.

"Hey, let's make her suffer more. After all, she's Son Naeun. The so-called beauty of Hanlim Arts School. Well, guess she wouldn't be having that title anymore." smirked another.

"S-Stop it...." said the victim of the whole attack, she was backed against the wall. Her long, silky black hair was pulled by the hands of those jealous girls, her blouse was half-ed and she was about to lose strands of her hair. The girl was trembling in fear, she did nothing wrong at all. The girl, known as Son Naeun was indeed quite pretty and delicate. She's recieved many confessions from the boys in high school but she was never ready with love, thus rejecting all of them and breaking their hearts. But despite that, there was always one boy who refused to give up. That boy, was Lee Taemin. One of the most popular male students in high school that would have all the girls swooning for him. Because of him, this caused the jealous girls to surround her, bully her and attack her.

"Don't worry Naeun-ah, you don't have to say anything." said a girl as the scissors in her hand slowly reached for her hair. It was in that split moment, a loud shout echoed across the hallway.

"HEY!!!" yelled a girl who seemed quite short, yet boyish. Her blouse wasn't tucked in, she wore pants under her skirt and she was holding a broom in her hands. She was definitely not happy. Despite her small size, her eyes were full of fury and she was not going to back down. 

The girls froze at the sight of the girl, immediately releasing their grips from Naeun and tried their best to run away. However, they were trapped as the girl used her broom and straight-handedly stabbed the back of the broom against their chests, causing the girls to tumble to the floor.

"W-We're sorry! I swear this was her idea!" pleaded one girl as she betrayed everyone.

"What?! No , she's the one who started this! I only followed along!" said another.

"I've had enough." sighed the girl as she threw the broom towards the floor. The nametag pinned tightly onto her blouse was written "Jung Eunji" with the title "Class President" below. Eunji, stared coldly at the girls and lightly turned her head, ordering the girls to scatter off. Upon her stare, a flock of crows flew across outside the windows that further created a sense of fear. Of course, the girls ran away scared, leaving Naeun all alone in torns. With only the two of them left in the empty hallway, Eunji brushed off the dirt from her skirt and walked towards Naeun.

Without a word, Eunji buttoned back Naeun's blouse and carried her on her back to an empty classroom. Placing her onto a desk, Eunji looked into her eyes, holding her hands tightly and analysing whether she sustained any injuries.

"Those girls are really getting on my nerves..." mumbled Eunji with frustration.

"I'm sorry unnie...but I'm always thankful towards you." said Naeun softly as tears began to flow down her chubby cheeks.

"I understand that you try your best not to fight them because I'm the only one who knows about your power. You can't let that happen again, understand? We can't let anyone die again." said Eunji as she gently wiped her tears and held onto her hands tightly.

"I don't want to kill people again unnie. It's just...so traumatizing to remember it again. I don't know why was I born with such cursed power. Am I a monster? Do I deserve to be like that?" said Naeun as she stared at her hand that slowly began to emit cold vapour, as if ice was forming.

"Naeun-ah. Always remember that you're not a monster. Whatever happened that time was just an accident. Remember it well okay? I'll be the one to protect you at all costs!" said Eunji as she grabbed Naeun's face and looked deeply into her eyes. Her gaze was sincere and full of concern. 

"Got it unnie...thank you..." said Naeun as she finally smiled.

"That's the spirit. Let's forget whatever that happened okay? I'll walk you back home Naeun-ah." said Eunji with a relieved smile, holding hands with Naeun as the two left the classroom. But what they didn't know was that, the desk Naeun sat on was suddenly frozen in thick ice. It was a mystery as to what happened to it but possibly due to the strange power of Naeun that Eunji had talked about before. What is this power that only Naeun and Eunji knows about?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 1]

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Chorong successfully found the first fairy, Thunder Fairy Yoon Bomi! What is the mystery behind the power Eunji speaks of? Yes, we've got some chomi and 2eun moments in the beginning~Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of this chapter~ I'll update the next chapter soon :)