Thank You

Exodus: A Tale of Twelve Princes

Kai's POV

My heart skipped a beat. Without even thinking I teleported. Looking up, I saw her silhouette against the moon. With an impact she landed in my outstretched hands. I buckled from the impact. Her head snapped back. That was not good. Her eyes were closed. I was kneeling down, hugging her body to my chest. 

"Jewel?" My voice came out in a tentative whisper. "Hey, it's okay! I got you. Open your eyes." 

The others gathered around me. D.O kneeled down beside us. He pressed a two fingers to her neck. 

"I don't feel a pulse. Did she-" he didn't finish. He didn't need to do. The unasked question hung in the air. 

No one eager to finish or answer it. 

Lights in one of the windows upstairs. 

"We need to go!" Chanyeol urged. 

I got up, Jewel in my arms. Gently, I teleported down some distance. The others looked around. Finally having spotted me, they ran to catch up. I teleported a little down again. Like that we ran away. 

After sometime, with the house out of view, I stopped. My head spun a little from teleporting another person. I set Jewel down gently on the grass, and sat beside her. I don't know how long it took them, but the others reached us. 

"Hyung," I looked at D.O. I couldn't stop my eyes from tearing up. I blinked a few times. I looked at each of them. To my surprise, they all looked a little defeated. Chanyeol's eyes glistened too. 

No one moved.  

"Kai?" 

I jumped. That voice. My eyes found the figure across the street that had spoken. 

Never in my life, had I ever thought that I would be so grateful to hear that voice. 

"Hyung!" I yelled. Tears streamed down my face. But I wasn't afraid anymore. 

-------------------

There was darkness. Then I could see a room. It was a library? Yes. Floor to ceiling shelves spread out on either side. As soon as I held onto the image, everything changed. Now I was somewhere else. I grasped around but couldn't perceive anything. Everything seemed to be in focus, yet unfocused. My brain was fogged. Crying. Yes someone was crying. More darkness. Now there was pain. A deep gut wrenching pain. Excruciating pain was all I could comprehend. I screamed a noiselessly. I don't know where I was hurt. I didn't know if I was even physically hurt. All I knew in that moment was pain. Drowning. I'm drowning. Just when I thought I was going to break it was over. Silence. 

Another image flashed in front of me. A thick stump, branches, vines. A tree. I raise my arm. Then there is fire. Fire in my palm. Fire at the base of the tree. Like a snake, the fire twists and slithers up the tree. The next thing I knew, the entire tree was shrouded in fire. I could feel it on my face. The heat, so brilliant and strong. The heat spreads through my cheeks, down my body, extending to fingertips and toes. 

I opened my eyes, a gasp escaping from my mouth. I could feel the cool night breeze on my face, but I wasn't cold. Inside, I felt like a fire roared in me. I had never felt better. 

It all came back to me. The roof, my room, slipping. My eyes met with a pair of unfamiliar eyes shut tight in concentration. The figure was bent over me. His hands were holding onto one of mine. Dark hair fell down the figure's face.  Covering his forehead. Sweat glistened on his face. 

Another beautiful prince. This time, there was no confusion. I just knew he was a prince too. 

"Thank you, I feel all warm now." The words escaped my mouth before could register them. His eyes flew open. 

"It worked?" His soft voice sounded surprised. 

Only then did I notice the others. They looked pale, like they had just seen a ghost, but they were all smiling. I smiled too. 

"I don't know, how, but thank you!" I sat up, bowing my head slightly to each of them. "I shouldn't have rushed." 

I glanced at my hand, the prince was still holding it. I tugged at my hand lightly and he let go. Immediately the warmth disappeared. I felt fine, but the warmth had slipped out of me. 

I gave him a small smile. "Thank you." 

He nodded standing up. I got up too. 

"Are you okay?" D.O asked. I nodded. 

"I feel great. But..." I looked around spotting my backpack in Chanyeol's back. "Oh! You have it! At least my efforts weren't wasted." He held out the backpack, but didn't let go of it. 

"You're pretty bad at walking on roofs. Don't do that again until you've learned how to do it right. I'll teach you another time." 

Baekhyun snorted. "You have a hard time walking on flat ground, and you're going to teach her how to walk on a roof. No offence, but I think you should learn before trying to teach someone else. Especially our precious Jewel." 

Chanyeol pushed him. I felt the blood rushing to my face. Baekhyun was just teasing, but even in that manner, I had never felt so special. So included. 

"I believe I haven't introduced myself!" The unfamiliar figure held out his hand. I took it. This time the contact didn't fill me with warmth. I guess there might have been some dissatisfaction on my face because he laughed and a small surge of warmth ran through me. I offered him a small, embarrassed smile.

"I'm Jewel," I told him. His hand still held onto mine.

"I'm Lay."