Eclipses and Portals

Exodus: A Tale of Twelve Princes

I was trying to lift myself up off of the ground when I saw it. I gasped in amazement; it was a lunar eclipse. Something about the view was breathtaking. The moon was a perfect shadow against the sun, trying to hide it from sight, but the sun still radiated strong from behind in a blinding halo. 

Kai and D.O, my two saviours, followed my gaze to the sky. The three of us stood in the dark alley staring at the sky. The sun's light seemed to be pulsing against the moon's shadow. The ground shook again, stronger, as if matching the pulsing of the moon. I grabbed the wall behind me to stabilize myself. It was over as quickly as it had started. The moon seemed to be trying to escape the sun's pulsing as well as the shadow moved, no longer in the centre blocking out the sun. The Lunar Eclipse was over. 

"The portal closed. Do you think any of the others managed to slip through?" Kai asked. 

"I certainly hope not," D.O.'s grim voice responded. 

"I'm hungry hyung. Can we please hunt for some food?" Kai was grabbing his stomach. His expression twisted in pain. "We haven't had a decent meal in two days." 

Something inside me softened. I knew I shouldn't do it, but I couldn't stop myself. "Um... Let me to buy you two something to eat." 

They glanced at each other. Before Kai could respond, D.O. cut in, "We cannot accept your offer." Kai looked like a little puppy that had just been kicked. 

"Please, you saved my life. It's the least I can do," I insisted.

D.O. looked as if he was about to argue, but his stomach's growling filled the alley. I laughed, "Come on. Let's get some food!" I turned to exit the alley, but my legs gave way from under me. I would have fallen face first, but Kai appeared, out of nowhere, beside me yanking me back by the arm. 

"Are you alright?" He asked. 

"Yeah. Just a little shaken from before, I guess."

 "You really are not afraid of us?" D.O asked coming from behind. 

"Why would I be afraid?" 

"Well we heard the people of your world are not accustomed to people wielding powers. You consider it unnatural. In fact we've been warned  to stay away from you humans, that you will only cause trouble if you discover us." He sounded as if he was reciting a folk tale. 

"Our world? Humans? Are you saying you're not human?" Now I was extremely curious. With all that had happened, one would think I would learn to be a little more cautious, but nope here I was, standing in a dark alley, talking to two strangers. And if I understood what D.O was saying correctly, then these strangers were claiming that they were supernatural... However with all that said, I couldn't have felt any safer at the moment. 

"Not entirely in the sense, no. So are you afraid?" Kai replied.

"Please. You just saved my life from god knows what that thing was. I couldn't be more grateful." 

Now Kai did smile. A smile so contagious that it made you smile too. Even D.O looked kind of surprised. He didn't show much emotion, D.O, I could tell. 

"I know you're just happy that I'm still going to buy you food," I teased. Kai looked down, but even the darkness of the alley couldn't hide his blush. 

I looked around the dark alley again. 

"We really should leave. I thing that attacked us could have friends, and I'd rather not stay here to welcome them." 

---------

With Kai and D.O following behind, I made my way to my favourite restaurant. It was a small diner three blocks away from the alley. 

Most of the walk was passed in silence. The strange attack had scared me more than I was willing to admit. 

I still couldn't grasp the reality of the entire situation. I had not perished in an alley before my eighteenth birthday; before I had even gotten a chance to live. How sad would it have been to pass on from this world, unknown, and forgotten. A small spark had ignited within me. I wanted so badly to do something with my life. Make a difference. Do something that would make me feel at peace, knowing that even if I died the next day, at least I did not waste my life. 

"You really don't have any questions for us? How are you so calm?" Kai suddenly asked. 

"I've seen some surreal things in my life. Things no one ever believes me when I tell them. After a while I just gave up trying to convince people that I was telling the truth. As I grew older, I saw what I saw, and that was that. I no longer told anyone. I couldn't really ask any questions. So believe me when I say I am bursting with questions, but I don't think I have enough energy to ask them. However, after we've eaten, I am planning on bombarding you with many questions," I promise them. 

D.O chuckled. I stared at him surprised. It was a deep rumbling sound, awfully pleasant to hear. It felt so pure, like I was witnessing a rare thing. He looked away when he caught me staring. 

My plan of going to the restaurant didn't happen. Kai stopped us outside of a McDonald's, insisting on going in. I gave in too easily for my liking. 

I tried not to laugh at the sight before me. The two boys, were staring wide eyes at the screens displaying the menu. I hadn't really paid attention to what they're wearing until that moment. The two were dressed in black linen, a grey fabric was tied around their waists. The outfit looked as if they had just come from a desert expedition, like they showed in those tomb raider movies.  

"I can help you," a girl about my age said from behind the counter. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes wouldn't leave the two boys. She was smiling like she had just won the jackpot. I glanced at Kai and D.O again. They were extremely attractive. They also held this aura to them, that seemed to draw you closer to them. 

"Do you guys know what you want?" I asked them. 

"I want those square things." Kai said in wonder. The girl gave me a confused look. 

Assuming he meant the chicken nuggets, that's what I ordered. 

"D.O?" 

"Um... Maybe, no. That looks interesting. Wait no, maybe that one. Yes I think I want that one." I ended up ordering the burger for D.O and fries for myself. 

The two stared at me in amazement throughout. "Wah! All you have to do is ask people, and they will bring you food? I think I like this place," Kai marvelled. I laughed again, which surprised me. Never in my life had I ever laughed so genuinely. There hadn't ever been something to cause it. 

"That's not quite how it works, she also gave the person the plastic thing as gratitude," D.O speculated. I laughed again. 

"Well you aren't that far off, so let's just go with that." 

We took our food and drinks to a table in the back corner away from the few occupied tables in the joint. 

Never in my life had I seen someone enjoy their food as much as the two people in front of me. I think Kai fell in love. He made me go up three times to order more nuggets. 

"Why aren't you having some? How can you resist this deliciousness?" He said pushing the nuggets to me. 

"I can't. I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat meat." Kai's face looked shocked. I smiled.

"This is surprisingly good, we don't have meat like this back at home," D.O marvelled.

"If I may ask, where is 'back home'? Who are you guys? Where are you guys from?" 

"We are Princes," Kai replied, grinning, "From the Exo Planet."