More Princes

Exodus: A Tale of Twelve Princes

"Is everything okay?" Chanyeol asked. I could feel him staring at me from the passenger seat. 

"I think so..." 

"Who was that person back there? Was he giving you trouble. How did you take him down like that? I've never seen moves like that. One second he was grabbing your hand, and the next thing you know BAM he's on the floor." I grinned. I wasn't trying to show off, okay, maybe I kind of was. But it felt nice to be complimented. 

"He's a friend. His name is Marc. He wasn't giving me a hard time. He was just... worried," I could feel the blood rushing to my face. It hadn't occurred to me that Marc could be concerned about me. He had always been nice to me, but he had his own life, and I was never a big part of it. Marc was a year older then me. We went to the same school for basically all our lives, but never the same classes. That was a summary of our entire relationship. We always seemed to be around each other, yet our paths rarely crossed. We were closer when we were younger because his parents had signed us up for everything together. We did Taekwondo, Hapkido, rock climbing, swimming, basketball, archery, you name it.

"Where are we going now?" Baekhyun piped in.

"A house. My house. My parents left it for me. I will receive it officially on my eighteenth birthday. But until then, I don't think it will be that big of a deal, if I start moving in. You can stay there and plan what to do next." 

"What happened to you parents?" D.O asked leaning forward in his seat. 

I frowned. "My adopted parents said that they left when I e. They couldn't look after me." I didn't sound convincing to my own ears.

"You don't believe them?" Baekhyun asked.

"It's more like I don't want to believe them. I don't want to feel abandoned. I want to believe that they didn't leave me that house as compensation." My voice was steady despite the rage I felt inside. I don't talk about my real parents. Ever. I learned the hard way that I would never get answers to my question. Asking would only hurt.

"Did you tell your adopted parents you were leaving?" Lay questioned. 

A bitter laugh escaped before I could stop it. "They won't care one way or the other." 

Silence followed. It was too awkward to continue. I would be surprised if Melina, my supposed mother, would even notice until a few weeks went by. 

Something caught my attention. I slammed on the breaks. The back seat erupted in groans as the four princes went flying. 

"Jewel!" 
"Ouch!" 
"Dammit, Jewel!" 
"Sorry. Sorry." I pointed across the street. "Look." 

Three males were huddling together, shivering, but what had caught my attention was their strange clothing. Clothing that was becoming all too familiar to me. Clothing that resembled the five princes sitting in my little Corolla. 

"Is that-?"
"I don't believe it!" 

The princes flung the doors open, rushing out. 

I turned off the engine and followed them.

---------------------

"Luhan! Xiumin! Chen!" Lay called excitedly, running. 

The three looked bewildered at the sudden commotion. 

"Lay!" The one with the small face called out. He had beautiful features. Eyes that sparkled, and a sweet smile. His eyes crinkled with happiness. Lay gave him a bear hug, "Luhan!" Luhan chuckled, stumbling with the initial contact. 

Lay gave a hug to each of the other two. Xiumin, the one with the cat like eyes, and Chen, the one with the prominent cheekbones. The others stood beside me, making no move to greet the three newest arrivals.

Lay turned to me, grinning. "Jewel meet-" 

The street lights fused out. The street was plunged in sudden darkness Lay fell silent. Luhan's eyes widened. Chen and Kai turned around, scouting the surroundings. Something had changed. From their expressions, I could tell we all felt it. The night had become colder. I had an uneasy feeling in my gut. 

A low growl pierced the quite night. My heart dropped. I had heard that sound before.