Beginnings

Exodus: A Tale of Twelve Princes

I had been staring at the same math problem for a good ten minutes when I first felt it. The ground shook. I looked around, no one seemed to have felt it. People were going on about their business in the library. 

Had I imagined it? No, I definitely felt something. After about five minutes nothing seemed to be wrong and I began to relax. 

I looked at my wristwatch. It was already seven. The sky outside was beginning to darken. I should head home. My heart dropped. This morning had been a particularly bad one and I wasn't in any hurry to return to it. 

People had already begun clearing out. The library was going to close soon. I sigh and grab my stuff. 

I started heading home, when I felt it again. This time much stronger. The ground shook with such force that I lost my balance and fell over. The couple walking behind me gave me a worried look.

"Are you okay, Miss?" The lady asked. "Yeah I think so. Did you feel that earthquake?" I asked. They exchanged looks. I knew that look too well. They thought I was crazy. 

"Never mind," I mumbled and walked away. 

I felt a weird sensation. Indescribable. I didn't know where I was going anymore. Something seemed to be calling me. My feet seemed to be working on their own. Leading me god knows where. 

I broke out of my trance. I seemed to be at the entrance to some alley. Where  am I? 

Something was glowing on the wall of a building at the end of the alley. 

A small voice at the back of my head was telling me to run. Walking towards eerie glowing things in a dark alley couldn't bring anything but trouble. But like I was possessed, I kept walking. 

As I got closer I could see that a the white light was coming from a symbol engraved in the wall. A hexagon with two lines through it forming a sort of "X". And a smaller line connected to the left vertices. 

My hand was just about to touch it when I heard a growl behind me. 

I whipped around. For a second I couldn't see anything. The sky was dark, and the light from the streets did not reach the back of the alley. My heart was pounding so hard I thought it would burst. 

"H-hello?" It came out as a whisper. Then I saw them: two glowing red eyes. I wanted to scream but no sound came out. I still couldn't see the creature whom the eyes belonged to, but I was in no hurry to find out. 

The growl came again. It was a y growl that belonged to a predator. A hungry predator. 

What is happening? We're in the CITY! 

My heart sped up as the creature came closer and I could finally make out an outline. The body seemed to belong to a large dog like creature. But no dog is that big. And something was seriously wrong about this certain dog. A negative energy was coming out of it. It seemed to bring the temperature of the entire street down. The hairs at the back of my neck stood up. The creature took another step forward and I snapped out of my frozen state. I saw the creature tense. 

Uh oh...

It leapt. My survival instincts seemed to take over. I dropped to my knees rolling. The beast soared over me, snapping at the area where my head was a second before. I came up where the creature was before. We had switched spots. The beast recovered annoyingly quick. It turned, growling with what sounded like anger. I turned and ran. I had dropped my bag somewhere back there, but I didn't care, I ran like the wind. At least I hoped I did. 

I came to a stop as the thing leapt over me. Trapping me in the alley once again. Maybe if I did a fake to the left and then ran to the right. I might be able to get past him and into the street. Hopefully someone there could help me. I didn't have a chance to try anything because at that moment the giant beast loomed over me. So close I could feel it's breath. It's red glowing eyes seemed to hypnotize me as we made eye contact. It's paw slammed into me, flinging me backwards. The force was so great that I hit the floor hard. My head swam from the impact. I couldn't move. 

That's it, I'm dead. And just before my eighteenth birthday. How sad? Just before I had the freedom to move out of the hellhole that was my home and truly begin living my life. A life of freedom. A life where no one could touch me or take advantage of me or restrict me. If there was anything I had looked forward to all my life, it had been the thought of turning eighteen and escaping that prison. But of course life would never give me such a break...

Tears formed in my eyes. Goodbye world. 

I shut my eyes preparing for death. But death didn't come. Instead I felt a force like a blast of wind from behind me, from the back of the alley. 

I tried shifting to see what it was, but all I could do was move my head.

Where there had been an empty alleyway, there now stood two boys. Extremely handsome boys, but that's irrelevant I guess. Both seemed surprised upon the scene before their eyes. 

What happened next, I'm not completely sure of, either. I heard an outraged cry from behind me as the beast jumped, mouth open with sharp teeth gleaming, towards my paralyzed body. At the same moment, the shorter of the two boys, yelled, slamming his foot to the ground. A huge crack formed in the earth, cracking past me, towards the beast. The beast staggered back, unbalanced. Chunks of rock dislodged from the ground repeatedly hitting the creature. 

I stared at the boy. Was he doing that? Was he controlling the Earth. In just a few moments the cries from the creature died with it and the alley plunged into silence. My head was seriously hurting now. 

I heard footsteps and the two boys were before me. They were seriously beautiful, unworldly beautiful. Like angels. The angels who saved my life. 

"Are you okay?" The shorter boy asked. I was surprised by how deep his voice was. 

I think I might have serious head trauma because I replied. "Such pretty angels! Thank you so much for saving my life. Tell me, who are you?" 

The other boy's mouth twitched like he was trying not to smile. The two exchanged glances.

"Um.. My name is Kai, and this is D.O."


--------------------