Finding Home

Exodus: A Tale of Twelve Princes

I checked the address, again. We were in such a secluded, rural area. The GPS said we should almost be there, but I couldn't see a house in sight. 

"In one mile turn right." The GPS spoke.
...
"Turn right." 

Huh? Where? 

I slowed the car and backed up. Well what do you know? There is a turn here. 

A small dirt path cutaway in the trees just big enough for one car to drive through. There were large trees on either side of the path and in the darkness I could only see the distance where the headlights reached.
The small path turned into a paved driveway. The trees fell away to reveal an iron gate and stone fence. A large house rose behind it. It was a really big house. 

I punched in the code written on the piece of paper with the address into the electronic keypad. 

The metal gate screeched open. 

I was home

----------------------- 

"Woah!" The word escaped from me in a whisper. I had let the car running in front if the house, I just had to see the house once. Large dark doors opened into a spacious hallway. There was a large chandelier in the entry way that illuminated everything. The entire place was furnished. 

Money clearly wasn't a problem for them. So why? Why did they leave me? 

Tears were forming in my eyes again. All the tears I had saved over the year were just waiting to fall. I sniffled turning around. 

"I'll be back in half an hour." 

Someone grabbed my wrist. I turned coming face to face with D.O. "Should I come with you?" 

"No, no. I will be fine. Just. Wait here. You all must be tired." They all looked concerned, and despite everything else, I felt warm, touched. "Really! I will be fine. I should get going. It's really cold outside. The others must be freezing." 

Suddenly Kai was in front of me. I jumped back. My heart skipped a beat. "Gosh, Kai. Stop doing that." 

He gave me a mischievous smile.

I rolled my eyes. Glad to see, he was enjoying himself. 

"What is it?" 

He blushed. What? Why was he blushing? Did he- 

"Do you think you could pick up some nuggets while you're at it?" 

"Kai!" D.O scolded.

But I was already doubling over from the laughter. These dorks. Princes. Dorky princes. 

I had finally calmed down. "Maybe." Kai's smile disappeared. "If you're on your best behaviour." His smile was back. He nodded his head. 

He's like a little puppy. 

I left the house as Kai excitingly explained the concept of the incredible nuggets to Baekhyun and Chanyeol. 

I laughed as I drove away. 

----------

"Did anything happen?" 

"No, we were fine. Cold, but fine." Chen answered. I sighed in relief. The entire drive back I couldn't relax. I kept thinking of how the darkness had wrapped around us, and that creature had practically shown up from thin air. What if it had happened again. What if it happened now, while I was driving? All alone. 

"Come on then, let's get away from here. Who wants to sit up front?" 

Lay got in front. 

"I can't get in." Chen was wiggled the handle frantically. 

"Wait! Don't break it. It's locked." 

With the handle still intact, and the four princes buckled in, we left. 

----------- 
God bless fast food restaurants. How else would I get nuggets at 3 am. Yikes! It was 3? 

"Hold on guys. I need to buy some food." 

I left the car. It was cold out. I opened the door to the McDonalds. 

"Thank you." Luhan smiled at me as he entered the place. Where did he come from?

The princes had followed me. 

I held the door open as the other three shuffled in. 

Just like before, these princes marvelled at the sight as well, eyes taking in everything. The drinks dispensers. The tables. The T.V. screens displaying the menues. 

"Order whatever you want." 

The four of them were still mesmerized by the menu. 

Luhan turned to me. "What should I get?" 

"I don't eat meat. So I don't know what you would like. You can try a burger, or a wrap. That's the white flat thing, with the vegetables coming out of it. Yeah, that one." 

After running through the menu four or five times, I order. 

"Are you guys in some sort of play?" The guy behind the counter asks, eyeing the robe like clothing of the princes. 

"We're coming back from a convention. Can I get four, twenty piece nuggets. Eight burgers. Eight MacChickens. Eight large french fries. Do you have anything vegetarian other than fries?" 
"Water?" 
"...and nine bottles of water." 
"Is that everything?" 
"Yes." I swiped my card. 
"It's going to take some time." 
"Alright."

I head to a table. My eyes were beginning to feel heavy. The long night was finally catching up to me. 

--------------------
D.O's POV

"Kai, I think Baekhyun gets the point. Nuggets are delicious. Give it a rest."

Kai fell back on the couch in the living room. 

"I hope they get back soon. I'm hungry." 

"We shouldn't have let her go alone. I've only met her and I already know she is a magnet for trouble." Baekhyun said. 

I was thinking the same thing. 

My head spun. I stumbled. 

"D.O?" Chanyeol asked. 

"I'm fine. It's just using my powers here is draining me faster than back at home." 

Kai sat up, "I noticed that too. I thought it was just me." 

"That's not good. How are we supposed to find the source when we can't use our powers for such trivial things?" Baekhyun asked. 

"Suho, Sehun, Tao and Kris. They're probably here too. Where do you think they are?" I asked. 

"Who cares?" Baekhyun said laying down on a couch against the wall. 

The painting hanging above him caught my eye. I couldn't make out the details, but even so I knew. 
Pulling Baekhyun off of the couch, I pointed to the canvas. 

"Look."