Late Night Hazel Nut Latte

Namsong Series

“One order of cappuccino!” A guy by the name of Song Minho or Mino as he was affectionately known shouted to a crew member who was working with him on the same shift period just further down the aisle.

“Okay! Coming right up!” A petite girl who went by the name of Irene replied before she started up the coffee maker machine.

The grinning cat café was Mino’s own little pride and joy tucked in a little corner in busy Myeongdong. It was located well enough to have a constant flow of customers yet at the same time private enough for those looking for a little quiet break.

“Here you go. Thank you and please come again!” Irene passed the take away cup to the last customer for the evening before she began to clean up her workstation while Mino began to go around the store and stacking up the chairs.

They worked in a comfortable silence with each of them finishing up the clean up process as soon as possible so that they can go back home. Therefore, Mino was especially quick to announce that they were closed when the door chimed let out a twinkling sound.

“I am sorry but we are closed.”

Mino muttered automatically without looking at the person who just entered the café. He just assumed that the person would just know and leave the store. So when Mino did not hear the door chime again, he knew the person was still there and it was then that Mino finally looked up to see who was the one that was still lingering and not leaving.

“I would like to have a cup of coffee.” The man declared with a slight slur to his speech that had Mino knowing that something was off and the man might just have a little more than a drink.

Mino then turned to look over at Irene. From where she stood, Mino saw the shock, the wide-open mouth and wide eyes. He knew immediately then that she recognized the person that just walked into the store. Well, it was also not hard to guess since the guy’s face was plastered almost all over the place.

It was Nam Taehyun, the famous singer who was currently the IT guy in the entertainment industry. Anyone who was following K-pop would have heard and seen the star. With his trademark voice and the middle parted longish hair, it was hard not to know who Nam Taehyun was.

“Mino oppa, I got to go off soon. My brother is sick and no one is at home…”

“Sure, go ahead. I will take it from here.” Mino interrupted her before Irene had a chance to finish her sentence. All the while, his eyes did not leave the guy who was standing at the centre of the store, looking around the place with his unfocused eyes.

“I heard that coffee is supposed to be helpful in helping you come down from your high is that true?’ Taehyun asked as his eyes drifted towards the drinks menu.

“It depends. It is different for different people. It might work for you.” Mino explained finding the situation more amusing by the minute.

“I don’t really drink coffee. It affects my voice.”

“Do you want to try a cup? Maybe it will work for you? I am sure a cup would not hurt your voice much.” Mino suggested.   

“But coffee tastes bitter!” Taehyun protested with his face scrunched up cutely.

What did I just think that Nam Taehyun looked cute with his face scrunched up?

“I will make for you a hazelnut latte. It will not be bitter. I promise.”

“Really? It will not be bitter?” Taehyun answered clearly again which made Mino wonder just how could one still talked to coherently when he was already feeling a little high and tipsy.

“Really… I swear it will not be bitter at all.” Mino said as he guided the slight drunk star to the counter where he could watch him preparing his cup of coffee.

He made sure that Taehyun was properly settled in his seat and not toppling over before Mino went over to the other side of the counter to start preparing the drink that he promised.

“So you mind telling me why are you wondering around Myeongdong drunk?”

“Well, I had a business dinner with my manager and a few marketing executives. The food they ordered turned out to be mostly seafood which my stomach cannot handle very well so I ended drinking the wine they served.”

No wonder he was drunk. He barely ate and I am sure his tummy is going to hurt the next day from the lack of food.

“Here you go.” Mino stated as he set the cup in front of Taehyun.

“Oh I did not expect it to be so pretty!” Taehyun exclaimed before he clapped his hand like a little child.

“I practice latte art design whenever I have pockets of free time in the café so I thought I include one for your first cup of coffee here.”

Mino could not help but to smile at the way Taehyun was admiring the cat he drew on for his cup.

“Better to drink it while it is still hot.”

“I don’t want tot ruin the pretty picture.”

“Drink!” Mino ordered and the guy immediately listened as he picked up the cup for a little tentative sip.

“Oh it is really not bitter!” Taehyun exclaimed in surprise before taking another bigger sip.

Mino took care to make sure the temperature hot but not enough to scald or feel the need to blow on the surface before drinking.

“See I told you so.”

Mino watched on as the singer continued to drink with gusto not before long, Taehyun finished the entire cup.

“So where do you live?” Mino asked as he put the washed cup onto the drying rack. He was did a quick double check to see if he missed out anything while waiting an answer from the guy.

“I cannot tell you my address. The paparazzi will be there.” Taehyun answered with a slightly more steady voice but Mino knew he was still a little tipsy.

“Okay, then I will drop you at the nearest hotel.” Mino suggested.

“NO! Scandal! Don’t you know who I am?” Taehyun exclaimed as though he was going to be dead if he was caught.

“Of course, I know who you are… Then where should I drop you off then? I cannot possibly leave you all alone here and spend the night in my shop.” Mino muttered exasperatedly.

It had been a long day and Mino wanted to go back home quickly. However, with the unexpected guest that walked in, Mino knew he could not leave Taehyun all alone not when he was still drunk.

“It is ok just leave me out. I can make it on my own.” Taehyun answered stubbornly.

“I cannot possibly do that.”

Mino shudder to think what would happen to the guy if he was really to listen to what Taehyun suggested. Taehyun would get mugged or worse kidnapped. After all, he was a well-known figure. The more Mino thought about, the more there was only one option and it was getting clearer and clearer by the minute.

“How about you come over with me to my place?” He knew had no choice but to suggest that.

“Okay! Let’s go!” Taehyun replied immediately with a bright smile.

How the hell could Taehyun so easily agree to spend a night at a stranger’s place? If he was Mino’s boyfriend, he was never going to let that happen. He could believe Taehyun would be so easy that way.

Wait… Did I just think that I was Taehyun’s boyfriend? What on earth are you thinking about?!

“Okay, hang on while I close up the store.”

Mino decided he would not think of such crazy thoughts. All he was doing now was being a Good Samaritan to a stranger who happened to be famous. Well, even if Taehyun was not someone famous, Mino would have done the same as well.

“Is it just me or are there a lot of stars tonight?” Taehyun asked as he sat by the glass looking up into the night sky.

“Come on, you are drunk. Let’s get you somewhere to rest.”

Mino walked over to where the guy sat and gently guided him out of his seat. He left Taehyun to stand at the pavement for a bit as he locked up the café only to find Taehyun swaying dangerously. Mino carefully guided the singer into his car that was parked by the side of the road and almost immediately Taehyun fell asleep throughout the whole journey to Mino’s apartment.

Mino could not help but to wonder what were the odds that he actually got to meet such a well-known figure.

As Mino looked at the sleeping figure seated on the passenger side, he began to observe the features of the guy. He came to a conclusion that the photos or images he seen of Nam Taehyun did not do his face justice. The reason being was that from up-close Taehyun’s feature actually looked even better. His pale skin under the moonlight had a flawless and soft glow to it with his trademark middle part and droopy eyebrows, Nam Taehyun was extremely good looking and elegant.

For some strange, Mino’s heart was suddenly beating fast and felt something that he could not quite put a finger on…

“Taehyun-ah, it is time to wake up.” Mino gently tapped the guy beside awake.

“Hmmm…. Where am I?” Taehyun muttered sleepily.

“We are at my house because you do not want to go anywhere else.” Mino muttered as he piggy backed the guy through the main door to the apartment complex.

Taehyun was barely conscious as he drifted in and out of sleep in his little drunken stupor. He did not even wake when Mino put him down to help the guy take off his shoes.

“Where is the bedroom?” Taehyun asked without even opening his eyes.

Mino wanted to laugh out loud so bad. Usually his friends who came over were always in awe with his place but the guy standing right before him could not even be bothered to notice.

“Here, I will lead you to the guest room.” Mino answered as he gently guided the sleepy boy.

Mino led him to one of his guestroom and immediately Taehyun aimed for the bed, plopping himself down on the middle of it. Mino only smiled before he went into the bathroom to wet a washcloth to clean the guy’s face so at least he could sleep more comfortably.

During the entire face cleaning, Taehyun never once stirred so Mino just left him sleeping on the bed while he went to his room and retired for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~

Nam Taehyun woke up the next morning with a splitting headache. He was deeply regretting the fact that he was drinking on an empty stomach the night before. He really did feel the consequence of his bad choice as his tummy was hurting like hell.

However, Taehyun then was rudely awakened by the fact that he could not recognize his surroundings. He definitely did not make it back home but where was he? Was he at some stranger’s house? Will he be blackmailed with scandalous images of himself to the Korean tabloids?

Taehyun was panicking like crazy as he quickly took out his phone only to find he received hundreds of message from his manager. Thank god, he had a day off if not Taehyun would not dare to imagine the amount of trouble he would be in.

Taking a careful look at his surroundings while trying to calm himself, Taehyun knew that he was not at some hotel but rather at an apartment. He figured out some helpful stranger must have brought him over instead leaving Taehyun to sleep wherever he was at the night before.

Walking gingerly to the bathroom, the gag reflex immediately kicked into full gear when Taehyun’s eyes landed onto the toilet bowl. He all but leaned weakly against the bowl when he was done just to catch his breath back; at least he was feeling much better than when he first woke up even though his tummy still hurt.

He was relieved when he managed to find his pack of breath mints in the bag that he carried along together with a small bottle of perfume. It was more polite to be smelling good when he thanked the kind soul instead of smelling like he was rolling around in his own puke.

He carefully opened the room door and stepped out. The apartment was nicely done in cream to invite the light in so that the space looks spacious and big. However, it was the various drawing on the wall that caught Taehyun’s attention was the drawings that hung along the walls. They were done in various mediums from charcoal, watercolors even oil pastels.

Taehyun was impressed by the talent. However, he did not have much time to linger since the smell and call of bacon frying was so much stronger that had him walking towards the kitchen.

The guy in front of the stove was dressed in a white cotton tank top and a pair basketball shorts. He was preoccupied with frying up the bacon and egg to even notice that Taehyun had already wandered into the kitchen. From the side profile, Taehyun could see that he had a pair of dark eyebrows, tanned skin and his black hair that was sleep tousled. Taehyun really wanted to run his fingers through it for some really strange reason that he could not comprehend. Not forgetting the way his muscles flexed when he moved or stretch was…

Hold it… You need to get a grip on yourself!  Nam Taehyun! You are not some hormonal teenager!

The guy was putting the food on the table when he looked up and saw Taehyun standing at the threshold.

“Morning, you are up. I made breakfast. How are you feeling?” Mino greeted as he motioned for Taehyun to take a seat.

“A little shaky I guess…”

“Figures… it only goes to show how you should never drink on an empty stomach.” Mino could not help but to chide the guy softly.

“I know… My tummy is like achy right now…” Taehyun let out a small smile.

“You will feel better with a little food in your system.”

“Thank you…. Ermmm” Taehyun trailed off when he realized he did not know what was his name.

“I am Song Minho but you can call me Mino. Nice to meet you.” Mino introduced and smiled when Taehyun grabbed his hand for a handshake.

“Well you know who I am…” Taehyun laughed a little sheepishly.

“It is pretty hard not to know who you are.”

“So how are you going back?”

“Hmmm… I think I might make just take a cab.” Taehyun answered.   

“If you don’t mind me knowing your address, I can drive you home. Don’t worry I will not leak your address to the press or tabloids or something.” Mino suggested a little hesitantly.

“I said something about that didn’t I?” Taehyun laughed feeling really embarrassed.

“You mentioned it in passing... sort of...”

“Well, it is not much trouble for you then will you be able to send me back?”

“It is no trouble.”

Mino realized that a sober and clearheaded Taehyun was actually really interesting to talk to. Having debuted pretty early in the entertainment scene, Taehyun’s thinking was really wise despite being a year younger than Mino at 25.

 Taehyun got off when Mino reached a quiet apartment complex in the Apujeong area.

“Thank you for all you help yesterday night.” Taehyun said as he gave a little bow.

“It is nothing much. Go on in first.” Mino gave a little wave before he started to pull out of the driveway.

Mino doubted he would ever see Taehyun up close again so it was a good memory that he would treasure for a long time…

~~~~~~~~~~

“Mino oppa so how was the encounter with Nam Taehyun? Oh my god I still cannot believe we saw him in person!” Irene gushed when she saw Mino entering the store.

“It was okay. He was a really nice and down to earth person. Pretty normal.” Mino commented as he thought back of the singer.

“So did you get his number?” Jinwoo, who was another of Mino’s staff, asked still unable to believe the fact that his boss actually met a singer.

“Nope I did not ask. It never occur to me to…” Mino answered truthfully. Though he did felt a little regretful that he had forgotten to ask.

“Well, it was a good memory and experience. I am glad that I actually got to meet him.” Mino answered.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino never expected to ever meet the singer again therefore he was shocked when he saw Nam Taehyun enter the store three weeks later. He came to the store with a bag of gifts as a token of thanks to the staff that helped him. Apparently, Taehyun had been so busy with his schedule to visit the café earlier. After that, Taehyun began to visit the café somewhat often enough for Mino to consider him as a regular customer.

“I would like to have a cup of hazelnut latte.” A voice that Mino came to recognize spoke.

Mino could not help to smile widely when he saw Taehyun standing before him at the counter.

“Sure have a seat, I will serve it to you shortly.”

Mino watched as Taehyun moved to a quiet corner of the café before he took out his laptop and proceeded to work. The singer would never come earlier than 11pm where he would then sit at a quiet corner of the café wither working on his songs or just reading a book. Mino once asked the guy the reason why the timing he chose to come which Taehyun only smiled to say that it would not be so noticeable then.

“Here you go...”

“Thank you.” Taehyun looked up from his laptop before reaching for the cup.

“How is the song coming along?” Mino asked. He knew that the singer had been working on a new material and would often seek Mino’s opinion on that he thought about them.

“It is not bad. Here take a listen…” Taehyun passed a headphone to Mino before he replayed the part again.

“It is good. So how was your day?” Mino asked.

It was always like that between them. There were times where Mino would be too busy for a short chat but there were times also that the store was empty enough for Mino to come over to chat until it was time for him to close up.

“Why did you decide to open a café?” Taehyun asked on a particular night where everyone had gone home and he had just recently released a new single so he came later than usual.

“I always like coffee a lot and decided that I love it enough to open a café.”

“Is that all you are going to do?” Taehyun asked curiously.

“Well, I am planning to open another store soon. Hopefully, I could get it to happen by the start of next year. What about you are you just going to be a singer?” 

“Well, for now. Eventually, I want to go into producing and working behind the scenes instead. However, before that, I would like to try out different things like being in a musical, acting in a drama or even hosting.”

“Looks like most of it you will have to do it when you are still active before going to the backseat.”

“I will get them done.” Taehyun answered with a quiet determination in his voice.

“I know you would.”

Mino would not deny that he found himself falling for the idol but at the same time he knew it might be impossible since Taehyun was a public figure and with such a busy schedule. He decided that he would just keep it as a secret to himself for now...

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun had been keeping his feelings for a particular café owner that he had been more or less visiting regularly in his heart for a while now. He was not sure if Mino would accept is kind of lifestyle with irregular schedule, crazy fan stalkers and unexpected news that might not even be any truth to it.

Mino probably did not even notice that Taehyun might actually like him… like a lot.

It had been a pretty hectic schedule with Taehyun flying in and out of Korea recently. Therefore, he was glad that his manager did not pack his schedule for the night so he took the chance to visit Mino immediately with gifts he bought from his travels.

He was about to open the door when what he saw made him stop dead in his tracks. Taehyun saw Mino chatting animatedly with a girl before happily hugging tight. Taehyun suddenly lost the grip he had on his shopping bags and the bags just fell lifelessly to the ground.

Mino had a girlfriend…

I am feeling so embarrassed and worse… stupid.

Saying nothing, Taehyun turned around and immediately left the place as he quickly as he could while he was still not noticed by anyone.

Suddenly, someone grabbed his arm and Taehyun was rudely turned around to face a panting Mino.

“It is definitely not what you think!” Mino pleaded with panic in his eyes.

“You were hugging her.” Taehyun answered while he freed himself from Mino’s grip.

“She is my cousin. There is really nothing going on. I like you Taehyun.”

“Stop lying. Go back to her. We cannot be seen like this. I will get caught.” Taehyun said with a sad finality.

“Taehyun… Please… I have always like you but I am afraid you will be in a difficult position.” Mino begged.

 “I got to leave. The conversation is over.” Taehyun sadly declared before he turned to hail a cab.

“It is definitely not ever. The conversation is definitely not over.” Mino watched as the cab carrying the singer drive off into the silence of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun avoided the café like plague the next few weeks choosing to throw himself into his work and activities. He figured if he kept himself busy enough, he would not have the time or even the energy to think about his relationship or a certain Song Minho. He figured that with enough time apart eventually he would be able to forget about the incident and move on.

However, his heart could not help but to be swayed when he receive a call from Irene who practically told him that he had really misunderstood and that the girl Taehyun saw was indeed his cousin.

“Dara unnie is really Mino’s cousin and she came to tell him that she will be getting married that was why they were hugging, Taehyun.” Irene explained over the phone.

Taehyun never felt more conflicted before... 

Mino, on the other hand, was not faring well either. He deeply regretted not confessing to Taehyun earlier about his feeling for the singer. He was afraid of scaring Taehyun or worse bring unnecessary trouble for the singer or his career.

Mino had tried going to Taehyun’s apartment but the security guard had told him politely that he was not allowed to admit anyone who went by the name of Song Minho. He saw picture of Taehyun when he attended his events but he knew the singer was suffering too for he had never seen Taehyun’s eyes looked so dead and sad.

Taehyun saw Mino attended one of his performances in the broadcast station where he stood right in the front row. The owner looked like he lost a lot weight and the usual cheerful light he always saw in Mino was gone. It was as though someone had extinguished them.

Taehyun went the audience area after his recording but Mino was nowhere to be found. It was as though he appeared out of the figment of the singer’s imagination.  

It was then Taehyun decided that he should at least hear Mino out so during one of those days where he ended his day early, the singer then went to his apartment.

Mino was rudely awakened by the incessant ringing of the doorbell that made him wondered who would be looking for him at such a strange hour. Besides, the apartment complex was supposed to be a private residence. Had the security gone lax? Was it time for him to move to another location?

When the ringing did not stopped, Mino finally dragged himself to go see who was at his front door.

What he saw had him opening the door wide in shock, unable to believe that it was the one he had been missing so much standing right before him.

“I am sorry. I should have at least given you a chance to explain things.” Taehyun began but the rest of his words died on his lips as Mino stepped forward to hug him tightly as though any lighter, Taehyun would disappear again.

“There is really nothing going on between us.” Mino mumbled as he buried his nose in the singer’s neck, inhaling his scent.

“I believe you.” Taehyun hugged him back just as tight.

“I love you. From the start.” Mino confessed.

“Me too, Mino. I love you.” Taehyun replied feeling as though the stone he had been carrying on his back was gone and he felt himself feeling lighter.

“Next time if we ever have any misunderstandings, we are going to talk it out. No running away from me.” Mino told him with a serious face.

“I promise.” Taehyun smiled.

“Wait… How did you get in here?” Mino asked as he let Taehyun into his apartment.

 “I smiled at the security and gave him an autograph. He is a fan of my songs.” Taehyun happily settled in his lover’s arms on the couch.

“Yah! You are not allowed to smile at other people so easily.” Mino ordered.

“Okay…” Taehyun agreed before leaning up to kiss Mino on the lip that Mino happily reciprocated. It was not before long before the sweet and innocent exchange of the lips turned into a deep and searing one.

Needless to say, Taehyun spent the night at Mino’s place finally at ease in after a long time…

~~~~~~~~~~

“Can I get a cup of hazelnut latte?” A deep familiar voice that Mino knew very well said. 

Mino looked up only to find his lover’s smiling at him.

“Sure. Go have a seat Taehyun-ah.”

Mino smiled affectionately at the guy standing across from him on the other side of the counter. He watched on as Taehyun made his way to the usual corner and waited.

Taehyun watched lovingly at Mino walking towards him. With Mino, Taehyun did not need to put up an image of Nam Taehyun, the singer. He could just be the real Nam Taehyun, a man in love with an owner of a café, Song Minho.