Operation Nam Taehyun

Namsong Series

The dressing room was a flurry of activity as people scrambled in and out of the room. Some were carrying clothes while others carried food that was enough to feed an army. In the midst of it all, a tall pale skinned guy called Nam Taehyun stood in front of the clothes and was deliberating before taking a few outfits. He then put the outfits on another empty rack before wheeling over to where four guys sat getting their hair and makeup done.

 “Taehyunie! You brought our clothes!” The guy with the innocent beautiful doe eyes also known as Kim Jinwoo called out once he spotted him through his view in the mirror.

“Yes these are what you will be wearing for tonight’s event.” Taehyun gestured to the clothes and immediately the boys came over to inspect the clothes chosen.

“I will prepare the lots.” Taehyun mumbled before taking out a slip of paper and began preparing them.

He had been working as a style coordinator ever since he graduated from fashion school and had spent the last 2 years working as a coordinator exclusively with Winner from just before their debut days until now where they were busy their comeback prep.

People might think it was a wonderful job since he had to oversee their outfits for award shows, music broadcast performances and also their concerts which meant a lot of travelling but Taehyun begs to differ. A more accurate job description would be that he was their voice of reason from wearing something that was totally hideous in public.

Since the boys were pretty much the same size. They developed a lot drawing process to draw the order they would pick the outfits.

Kang Seungyoon, the leader of Winner was the stylish rocker. The clothes he wore often showed the subtle hints of his inner rocker vibe. He was the mother hen of the group who was the middle man between the members and staff and it went without saying that he nagged the group a lot despite being the youngest. His mind was constantly thinking about music, the team and album prep and a lot of times Taehyun wondered if Seungyoon ever took the time to think about himself.

Kim Jinwoo, the vocalist who liked to play up on his young and innocent looking charms even though he was the eldest in the group. Self-proclaimed games and drama addict, he would always inform Taehyun on the latest drama that deserved watching so there was no shortage of entertainment. However, he does get depressed when he got stuck at certain stages and was unable to move on in the game. He was the silent hard worker who would often stayed back for that couple of extra hours just so he could practice more.

Lee Seunghoon, the rapper and main choreographer of the group was someone who had a very thin body and his clothes he lean towards love to emphasize that line. With his love for skinny jeans, it only went to highlight his thin legs that Taehyun was sure that most girls would kill for. He was also the joker of the group together with the last member, Song Minho.

Song Minho, the main rapper. Just the sound of his name was enough for Taehyun to have this urge to sigh. He can be so serious with all the sick flows in his raps and yet can be so silly at times that Taehyun cannot even imagine plus the style of his clothes ranges from random stupid to his oh-so-y ensemble that he just cannot even keep up.

Taehyun was attracted the rapper from the get go when the guy came into the recording studio in all his tanned skin, toned physique and handsome face goodness that he was grateful he did not lose his composure like some fan boy who had never seen an idol in real flesh in all his pitiful existence. 

And yes, Nam Taehyun has been nursing this huge crush on the rapper ever since he start working with them.

“Urgh I cannot believe I am going to wear a bib around my neck like a baby.” Seunghoon lamented as he saw what was left on the rack.

“Jinwoo hyung and Mino are like the most normal looking out of all of us.”

“My shirt is pink I don’t know if you consider that normal.”

“Be grateful you are not going to go up on stage looking like some frilled lizard. Care to swap? You are welcome to them.” Seunghoon threatened which had the main rapper holding both hands up in the air in an act of surrender, hoping to appease the already exasperated Seunghoon.

“I am sorry guys but this is what was given to me so I had to make do. I think it will look good on all of you. Just trust me.” Taehyun patted their shoulders.

“Looking like a frilled lizard was the best?”

“You know I never really connected the image until you mentioned it. Now it is like hilarious in my head.” Jinwoo commented with a laugh before he quickly left to go change in order to avoid being hit.

“Guys, we really do not have much time. The event is starting in 3 hours and we still have hair and makeup not done.” Taehyun instructed as he shooed the boys to their chair to get ready.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino watched as Taehyun fiddled and checked the outfits with care. His heart skipped a beat as he watched that slanted eyebrow of his furrowed in concentration. Taehyun had always looked really cute with his cute expressive face of his, the way he would sarcastically question their fashion choices when they were a few moments away from an embarrassing situation or the way he would join in on their jokes.

Even though Taehyun was the actual youngest between all of them, there were times he was struck by how mature Taehyun acted that made the whole lot of them look like small kids in a playground.

Mino figured that at this point he needs to stop because he was very sure that he was staring at the guy for a little too long for comfort.

“IS there something on my face Mino?” Taehyun asked from his spot before doing a slight turn so that he could face the rapper.

It was as though everyone in the room stopped whatever they were doing at that moment and turned to stare at Mino.

He badly wanted to the floor to open up a hole to swallow him up completely so that he did not have to deal with the onslaught of embarrassment.

“Nothing… I was just zoning out.” Mino quickly replied hoping that Taehyun would buy his reasoning.

“Oh okay…” Taehyun nodded before turning back to what he was doing.

Mino could not help to breathe a sigh of relief.

“Someone almost got caught.” Seunghoon teased softly in a sing-song voice which had the other two snickering in laughter.

“You know you should just confess to him already instead of dancing around in circles for like what? A year plus going on two?” Seungyoon commented once he got his laughter under control.

Mino could not help but to think back to the last failed attempt and could not help but to cringe.

“Oh be a man and just confess to him already. Who knows? He might just be waiting for you to man up and go for it…” Jinwoo advised.

“Yah hyung, you don’t have to be so loud… You think so?” Mino exclaimed half afraid that a particular coordinator would have overheard their conversation.

“Be a man Song Minho.” Jinwoo said before he closed his eyes for a nap while they got ready.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh be a man and just confess to him already. Who knows? He might just be waiting for you to man up and go for it…”

“You think so?”

“Be a man Song Minho.”

Those were the words that kept repeating in Taehyun’s mind for the remainder of the day. He never felt more disappointed and a little stupid at the same time.

Who exactly did Taehyun thought he was? Of course, Mino would have someone he liked and it was definitely not him.

With those thoughts swimming inside his head, Taehyun avoided a particular Song Minho for the rest of the day. Even during the staff dinner after the awards show, Taehyun did not spoke a word to him, choosing to sit with Jinwoo instead.

“Taehyunie, did you and Mino had a fight that none of us know about?” Jinwoo asked discreetly when the others were not looking. Even though Taehyun thought he might have noticed Mino looking over at his direction a couple of times as though wondering if something happened.

Oh something did happen all right…

“No, we did not fight. Why did you ask?”

“Well, that is because you both are not sitting together like how you both always are and you both keep looking at each other when you think the other is not noticing.” Jinwoo pointed out as though the interactions between himself and Mino were as plain as day.

“I am fine. We are fine.” Taehyun answered trying to reassure the eldest hyung while at the same time trying to reassure himself in some ways too.

“Hyung… Have you ever been in a situation where you have this someone you like but you do not know if he likes you back?”

“No… Why?? Do you have someone you like? Who is it?” Jinwoo suddenly asked with his already wide doe eyes looking wider if that was even possible.

“What are you both talking about? I want in…” Seunghoon leaned over, wanting to join into the excitement.

“Seunghoon hyung…  It is definitely not an exciting topic… there is not need to get your underwear all bunched up.” Taehyun replied suddenly having the feeling that he just opened can of imaginary worms.

However, Seunghoon would hear none of it as Jinwoo quickly brought the guy up to speed.

“Oh! Oh! Oh! … is the guy Mino?” Seunghoon asked in a conspiracy tone as though the three of them are sharing an extremely private secret. 

“Why do you even think it is him?”

“Just a gut feeling…” Seunghoon answered.

“No, it is not…”

“You know I think you should talk to him about it… Tell him how you feel… at least if it does not work out, you can look back at it and know that you tried.” Jinwoo advised.

“You think so?” Taehyun asked hesitantly as he weighed the option.

“Jinwoo is right you know…”

“Hmmm…”

Both guys watched on as Taehyun contemplated what they just said.

“You know… it is so Song Minho… Whatever he said, had Song Minho written all over it…” Seunghoon whispered softly only for Jinwoo to hear.

“I know right… I hope we nudged him enough…”

~~~~~~~~~~

“Yah Song Minho! You are so dead!” Jinwoo threatened once they reach back at their dorm and they immediately head to Mino’s room.

“What did I do?” Mino asked the oldest hyung while scratching his head trying to remember what he had done.

“You made Taehyunie upset…” Jinwoo pointed out.

“Huh? But I did not say anything to him…”

If Mino was confused before, now he was completely baffled.

“You are just so frustrating.” Jinwoo continued on without even answering Mino’s question.

“Wait… What did I do?”

“Nothing and that is the whole problem.” Seunghoon muttered suddenly.

“Go figure it out for yourself, Song Minho…” The two of them muttered together before turning on their heels and left Mino to his thoughts.

Mino thought hard and long trying to remember what he had said to Taehyun but his mind kept drawing blanks. However, he did notice that Taehyun seemed to have avoided him the entire night. Usually, they would always sat together during dinners getting food for each other.

Just like a couple but too bad that they were not.

Mino sighed heavily if only he was not as shy as hell and developed cold feet right at the very last moment, he would have been able to get his confession across.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino had been planning this for a week that included getting flowers and tickets for an art exhibition that he remembered Taehyun was raving about and wanting to go since it opened. After which, he would bring Taehyun to his favorite Italian restaurant for dinner.

He was preparing to go out to surprise Taehyun at his office when suddenly the studio door opened and Taehyun popped his head in.

“Mino hyung… have you seen… Oh the flowers are so pretty… Who are they for?” Taehyun asked when he saw the flowers that Mino was carrying.

Oh … Mino think!!!

“They are for my mum…” Mino muttered in a panic seeing how Taehyun was looking curiously at them and his mind was starting to cloud seeing the object of his affection looking beautiful in a black shirt with skinny jeans.

His brain just turned into a puddle of goo.

“Oh that is so sweet. She will be so happy to receive them… Oh yes before I forget, did you see Jinwoo today?” Taehyun smiled warmly and Mino wished that a rock would just fall on him.

They are meant for you…

“He is at the dorm now but I think he said something about coming in later.” Mino muttered bitterly.

“Okay sure thanks!” Taehyun answered before closing the door.

Mino could only stare at the door closing shut forlornly.

“There goes my chance…”

~~~~~~~~~~

It was official… Nam Taehyun was definitely avoiding Song Minho. It was because he went as far as to make sure he was not in the building at the same time Mino was.

The answers he had gotten when asking for a particular Nam Taehyun had been things like he was coming in later or he is on leave and would not be coming in for day.

Mino could only sigh each time he heard the answers…

Desperate times called for desperate measures…

Mino knew he was already feeling really desperate.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino created group “Operation Nam Taehyun”

Mino added Jinwoo-sang

Mino added Weird Hyung

Mino added Bastard Leader

Jinwoo-sang: This better be good…

Mino: Guys I need your help… T_T

Bastard Hyung: Help for??

Mino: I am going confess to him…

Jinwoo-sang: OH GOD FINALLY!!

Min: I need your help…

Bastard Leader: Just let us know what you need us to do…

Weird Hyung: What do you have in mind?

Mino: I need you to get Taehyun to somewhere I had in mind… He has been avoiding me…

Weird Hyung: Finally you are making a move…

Jinwoo-sang: this is SO exciting!!

 Mino then spent the next half an hour going through his plans before he went back to his recording.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun entered the YG office at around 8pm because he had forgotten to take some of his work back home to do. The office area was quiet except for a few of the staff that was still in during that time of the day.

He had the others guys to thank as he would send a quick message to them to check on Mino’s whereabouts so as to avoid facing him and having to deal with the awkwardness. After all, the say did say time apart would heal all wounds.

Well, if only it was going to be that easy to forget…

Taehyun knew deep in his heart he would never be quite over Mino since the feeling was definitely not like some switch that he could turn off and on whenever he wanted to.

Taehyun sighed again as he made his way to his desk. He really hoped that he could be okay around the rapper soon. He missed him…

He almost let out a scream when the lights suddenly turn totally dark and a hand was clamped over his mouth.

“Don’t you dare make a sound or I will slit your throat.” A dangerously low and raspy whispered really close to his ear.

Taehyun could only nod in panic before the guy from the back removed his hand but almost immediately blindfolded his eyes so Taehyun could not see a single thing on the darkness. The guy then stuffed a towel into Taehyun’s mouth to prevent him from making any sounds that might attract attention.

Oh god! Am I going to be able to live to see tomorrow?

Taehyun felt that there were two people as one came to grab his left elbow while another took hold of his right elbow and together they led him out of the building and into what Taehyun assumed was the backseat of a car.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Here drink bit of water.” A familiar voice that Taehyun could not quite make out said as the younger guy felt a straw touching his bottom lip.

However, Taehyun hesitated afraid that the water inside the bottle might be laced with other substances.

“It is not poisoned. Don’t worry.” A voice spoke again and this time the voice was Taehyun knew well.

Wait was that Jinwoo talking to him?

Before he could even work up a protest, the car came to a stopped. He could hear the people in the car shuffling about before he was gently pulled out of the vehicle a short moment later.

From the softness of the ground and the distant crashing of the waves told Taehyun that they were at a beach right now. By now, he knew that more or less the people that tied him up were the three idiots from Winner so he did not struggle much and just let them lead him to the spot.

“We are going to take out the blindfold now. Just go straight ahead.” A voice hat Taehyun was sure it was Kang Seungyoon’s whispered.

The blindfold and towel were swiftly removed from his eyes and mouth. Taehyun counted three seconds before opening his eyes. He looked around and there was no one else in sight. Apparently, the three hid themselves pretty quickly.

In front of his feel was a little walkway that was lined with candles that led towards the shoreline. Remembering Seungyoon’s words, Taehyun slowly followed the path. His heart was suddenly beating fast as he sort of guessed who he might just fine at the end of the path. True to his predictions, Mino was standing at the end of the path waiting for him looking really handsome in a simple black shirt with white jeans.

“Nam Taehyun…” Mino greeted once Taehyun approached close enough.

“Song Minho... What are you doing? I thought I was kidnapped.” Taehyun whined with his fists raining down on the rapper’s chest but lightly.

“You have been avoiding me for the whole week and I missed you. It was the only way to get you to meet me.”

“You had me kidnapped! You said you had someone that you wanted to confessed to.”

“Ah so you heard that. I meant you dummy. You are the one that I like and have been meaning to confess for a while now…” Mino laughed unable to believe that Taehyun could be so cute and naïve.

“What took you so long?”

“I had to man up, take courage, confess then hope for the best response I could get from you.”

“Okay so say it so I can give you my answer…” Taehyun said and watched the rapper took a deep breath before looking at Taehyun in the eyes.

“Nam Taehyun, I think I love you and I cannot imagine life without you. Will please be my boyfriend?”

Taehyun could not help but to smile at his confession.

“I thought you were never going to ask.” Taehyun answered before closing whatever little distance left between them to give Mino their first kiss as a couple.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you think we have overdone our actions a little?” Seungyoon asked the other two as they watched the couple on the beach.

“Well, I don’t think so, it is not everyday we can be like those characters in a drama who stage a kidnap.” Jinwoo answered.

“Jinwoo hyung is not a good indicator since he is a drama addict. He is acting like he is in a drama. That aside, we might be a little overboard but it is okay.”

“Oh look! They are hugging and kissing! Yes! Our operation was a success!” Jinwoo exclaimed and the members proceeded to give each other high fives.

“You know even if Taehyun wanted to get back at us for what we did. I think he might just overlook it.” Seungyoon muttered as he watched Mino gave Taehyun a little twirl.

“Plus we can always remind him of this moment. Taehyunie is a softie anyways…” Seunghoon commented before the three left the new couple alone to savour they little private time together.