Fate and Destiny

Namsong Series

“Seungyoon and I have broken up, Taehyun-ah.” Kim Jinwoo announced to his best friend, Nam Taehyun, who was sitting right beside him in a café, looking extremely unaffected by his sudden news.

“Why?” it was the only reply that Taehyun asked. To be honest, Taehyun was not interested in knowing the reason but as Jinwoo’s best friend, he had to ask or pretend that he cared.

“I know I have mentioned before that we connected through my weekly yoga classes but I found out that our star signs are quite the opposite.”

“You are going to base the entire relationship and happiness on some horoscope traits?” Taehyun asked incredulously. Seriously, his best friend never failed to leave him amazed.

“They proved to be true. A Libra like myself are not that compatible with Capricorns. Seungyoon is a typical Capricorn through and through.” Jinwoo stated in all seriousness and Taehyun could only shake his head in wonder.

They have been best friends since either of them could remember. It helped that their parents were best friends as well so one could say that they practically grew up from their diaper days until now.

They were complete opposite. Jinwoo had always believed in horoscopes, fate and the “miraculous” work of Mother Nature. Jinwoo was first to believe in love at first sights or destiny. While on the other hand, Taehyun was a realist and cynical. There was not such thing as the universe was at work. Every thing had a proper explanation for happening or just coincidental.

Taehyun would never admit it out loud but words like “fate”, “kismet or “destiny” creeps the hell out of him especially when Jinwoo says it in a low breathy voice with his doe eyes filled with wonder. Seriously, how his best friend bought into this whole supernatural was entirely way beyond his comprehension.

“You both have just been dating for 2 weeks and barely had time to know and understand each other and now you are calling it quits already?”

“You don’t understand. We are just too different.”

“No I don’t understand a word you have just said and I don’t even want to begin to even try.”

“It was a message and signal to me from up above that we are not going to work.”

“Here we go again…” Taehyun muttered under his breath.

Taehyun was actually envious of Seungyoon because he could actually get out from putting up with Jinwoo and his supernatural nonsense while Taehyun, being his best friend, had an obligation to stick with Jinwoo through thick and thin. Well, Taehyun doubt that there was anyone out there who could be able to put with Jinwoo.

Seungyoon must be thanking his lucky stars right now. Taehyun sighed inwardly.

“It is true! If you don’t believe in the fate then how do you explain Jiyong hyung?”

“You mean Jiyong and Youngbae hyung? That was some bloody risk Jiyong hyung had to take!” Taehyun exclaimed.

“But…” Jinwoo started to explained but Taehyun cut him off.

“He just got out of a horrible breakup and impulsively took a solo trip to Bali. Imagine the amount of things that could go wrong. I mean Youngbae hyung was a nice person. However, imagine a heartbroken person in a totally different country and suddenly some random guy appeared and swept you off your feet. Can’t you imagine what might have happened if he had some ulterior motive towards Jiyong hyung?”

“Hmph!” Jinwoo huffed and crossed his arms as he looked at his dear friend.

Taehyun only smiled at Jinwoo proudly before turning his attention back to his coffee.

“You need an intervention.” Jinwoo told him.

“Oh no, what now, Kim Jinwoo?” Taehyun muttered exasperatedly.

“Let’s try out something. An experiment if you will.”

“No…”

Taehyun flatly denied. He knew where the conversation topic was heading.

“You have not even heard what I wanted to say!”

“I don't have to. It is still a no.”

“Let’s test fate and destiny. I want you to send out a message. If it works for you then you cannot tease me about it ever again.” Jinwoo ignored the glare in Taehyun’s eyes and held on to Taehyun’s wrist because it looked like he was beginning to try to plot his escape.

“Do I really have to do this?”

“Yes and I promise if it fails I will never mention about it ever again.” Jinwoo declared. He knew he was starting to appeal to the guy beside him by the way Taehyun’s eyes lit up with what he just said.

Jinwoo was not dumb, he knew that Taehyun was a non-believer and could not stand Jinwoo taking about fate and stuff but he just wanted to prove his point across.

“Fine, let’s just get on with the stupid bet.” Taehyun sighed. There was no way in turning down an extremely determined looking Jinwoo.

“Great, I want you to send a message out. Anything you wish.”

“Why does the universe need me to say out loud what I want?”

“It is just how it works. You just need to float your desires and things will definitely fall into place.”

Taehyun thought for a moment before replying.

“What so the universe is my genie or something? Fine, fine, I want to have good grades in my exams.”

“No not that. Besides, you are a smart kid. You will definitely achieve it.”

“Of course, I will achieve it. I studied my off for it. Me, Nam Taehyun, by my own effort. Not the universe. 

“I want to be successful.”

“No, no, no!”

“Then what?!”

“How about let me meet the love of my life?”

“What?”

“Yes that is it! Go with that.”

Taehyun said nothing except to sip his coffee.

“Come on!”

“Fine. I want to meet the love of my life.” Taehyun muttered with as much enthusiasm as a person going in for a root canal.

“Ya, I am sure it is “so” going to work with you sounding like that. Just put more feeling in and positive energy.”

If there were things that Taehyun did not understand, things such as “feelings” and “positive energy” were it. In fact, the words freaked him out.

“I want to meet the love of my life.” Taehyun tried again but this time with a fake smile in place.

It seemed to have satisfied Jinwoo for his best friend smiled and clapped happily.

Taehyun could not believe that he actually agreed to something so stupid as what he had just done. He was beginning to regret his decision to do it. It was not the failure that worried him, it was the fact that he knew Jinwoo’s excitement well kick into overdrive. His best friend had always been stubborn, no matter how much Taehyun protested, whined or kicked his feet in frustration. Jinwoo was like an iron clamp once he clamped on he would not budge or be shaken off until he had his way.

Taehyun could not help but to sigh heavily. Suddenly, his favorite coffee just lost its appeal as he wondered what he had just gotten himself into.

~~~~~~~~~~

Seoul train station was bustling with people as Kang Seungyoon tried to read and understand the train schedule board to see if the train that departed from Busan had arrive in Seoul. Once he found the information that he needed, he went towards the designated platform.

Seungyoon spotted where his best friend, Song Minho, was sitting on the train and tried his hardest to get his attention but as expected, Minho did not look his way no matter how hard he was waving.

“Mino!! Here!!” Seungyoon shouted as he tried to fight his way through the crowd of people that was coming out of the train.

The boy, Seungyoon was trying his hardest to catch the attention was looking all over except in Seungyoon’s direction even though he was waving both of his hands in the air. When he finally spotted his best friend, Mino gave an energetic wave and smile.

“Seungyoon-ah! I was looking all over for you!”

“I was standing right in front of you just now.” Seungyoon shook his head. His best friend must be daydreaming to even pay attention.

Mino was actually supposed to arrive the day before but apparently the plan changed with no rhyme or reason. It just happens with Mino and Seungyoon had long since adjusted his level of patience and tolerance to make up for that “little character flaw”. Seungyoon just happily embraced his one true friend that he could always count on.

“I am so happy to see you, Mino-ah.”

Together, they lifted Mino’s luggage bag that was literally bursting at the seams. Seungyoon was glad the bag was still holding on well. They boarded a taxi heading for Seungyoon’s apartment. The two friends who have not seen each other for half a year immediately started chatting. Soon, the cab was erupting with Busan satoori that the taxi driver looked at them from his rearview mirror in amusement.

“So we will be sharing the apartment with one other guy, Seunghoon. The last person, Bobby moved out.” Seungyoon informed the guy that was busy staring out of the window.

“Okay.”

Mino decided to move over to Seoul to study music since Seoul was where the action was happening at and seeing how Seungyoon was adapting well gave even more determination that Seoul was the place to be. It was time for him to move over or he will never ever get out of Busan. Like never ever.

Seungyoon brought Mino to the café to get to know the staff since Mino would be working in the same café as well. Mino was looking around the café place when he turned and nearly bumped into a guy. The guy quickly left before Mino could apologize but all he felt from the short little encounter was a nice vanilla scent from the guy’s perfume, chestnut brown hair and pale skin.

Not giving much thought of the encounter except to chalk it up to his experiences in Seoul, Mino went in to the café to greet his new co-workers.

“Oh Mino right? I am Minzy. You just missed Taehyun just now. He is one of the regulars here.” A girl greeted Mino enthusiastically. 

“I am glad he is not making things awkward for me.” Seungyoon sighed while Mino looked blank not knowing what happened.

“Your best friend just got dumped.” Minzy stated as a matter of fact.

“You got dumped? Again? Yah, you should not always invest so much into it. See what it does to you? I always told you never to fall too hard so fast.” Mino commented as he saw the dejected and heartbroken look of his best friend.

“Yah, what do you know? You have never been in any relationships before. I am still reeling from it. Thanks for rubbing the salt over my still open wound.”

“Hey, who had to drag you out of the dark ages with your previous 2 failed relationships? Me, Song Minho, I had never drank so much in my entire life!”

“But…”

“But what? He is different? Like how different? Look what thinking has brought you, 3 breakups and a pickled liver. Plus, not to mention, my own pickled liver.”

Seungyoon said nothing except to take out his phone to show Mino a photo of Jinwoo.

“Really good looking but still, it is over, buddy. Use the experience for your songs and please protect you heart or it is going to be so damn small when you finally give to the one.”

Seungyoon knew his best friend was right but he truly never felt that way with anyone before. Besides, what does Mino know? He had never fallen in love probably saving for “the one”. This was how they were different. Seungyoon was reckless in love but super careful in life while Mino was the exact opposite. Maybe that was the reason why they were the best of friends.

“I wonder why did I even fall for Jinwoo. I should have just went with Taehyun instead.” Seungyoon mentioned when he was suddenly struck with the idea.

“No, that is not possible. You both would make like the most boring couple ever.”

“And how do you know that? Are you some love and relationship expert that I did not know about?” Seungyoon asked as he side-eyed at his colleague.

“Whatever, you both would never work out cause you both have absolutely zero chemistry. However, with Mino, now that is something different altogether.” Minzy stated suddenly sounding really wise even though she was just 20 years old.

“Seriously Minzy-ah, what do you know?”

“You might be right but I am not the one that is nursing a broken heart right now.”

Mino just smiled politely at the two bantering away. He had no intention of getting into a relationship not that he was against but it was just that he had never met anyone that he was so crazy about. Maybe that was why the lyrics he wrote in his songs were always lacking something.

Missing the experience of love perhaps?

Suddenly, Mino found himself thinking about the guy he just bumped into just now. His heart was beating fast again, making him puzzled as to why he was having such a reaction.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Yah, Taehyunie. You are still getting coffee from Seungyoon? You cannot go there!” Jinwoo commented when he saw Taehyun’s coffee cup.

“Yes, I can. What is wrong? They make really good coffee.” Taehyun supplied as he sipped his café latte.

“But…”

“I am getting my coffee from them and I am not going to change where I get my usual coffee just because you screwed up a perfectly good relationship.” Taehyun muttered as he took out his books for class.

“How is he, Taehyunie?”

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask him on your own.” Taehyun answered just as the professor walked in and that was the end of their conversation.

Taehyun was on his way to the cafeteria when he spotted the guy he bumped into the day before holding a piece of paper and looking around like an adorable lost sheep.

Wait? Did he just think that the guy was adorable?

Taehyun shook his head a couple of times before he went over to approach the guy.

“Hey, are you lost? Do you need help?” Taehyun began as he tapped the guy’s shoulder.

Mino turned around and was properly stunned speechless. It was the same vanilla scent from the guy he bumped into the day before. Just like the day before, his heart was beating wildly and his system went into overdrive. He could not form any words since he barely even registered the question.

“I guess you do not need my help then.” Taehyun said when he saw how the guy in front of him was not talking.

Taehyun turned around to walk away when he heard the guy calling out to him.

“Library…”

Taehyun smiled before he pointed in the general direction of the library that had the guy beside him was nodding away. Taehyun was not sure if he understood what he was trying to tell him.

Taehyun wondered if he was going to find his way to the library when the guy began walking as Taehyun stood looking at his retreating back. The guy turned back to look at something but Taehyun could not be sure if he was that something.

“Nah, he is probably looking past my shoulder.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“Seungyoon-ah, I think I am in love…”

“I am not listening to this right now.” Seungyoon muttered before he lifted his blanket over his head only to be pulled down by his best friend.

“Why? You are the romantic one.”

“I am swearing off relationships. I am done. Relationship brings nothing but trouble.”

“That does not mean you cannot help me.”

“Okay, if you are in love then what is the name?”

“I don’t know…”

“How can you be in love with someone when you don’t even know their name? Gosh, Song Minho, you are worse than me!” Seungyoon answered back.

“I resent that.” Mino muttered.

“But it is true! You have never been in love before and you don’t know the name. Hell, you would not even know if love came up to you and slapped you in the face.”

“But it is true…” Mino muttered under his breath but Seungyoon heard it.

“You are here for almost a week and you found love? I am here for six months, found him and was crushed after dating for two weeks. You want to end up like me too?”

“You are being bitter right now. It is unbecoming.”

“Whatever, do what you want but do not say I did not warn you.”

Mino went back to his room dejectedly. As he sat and stared at his desk all he could see was a blank music sheet. Words just somehow left him. Then he thought of the warm vanilla scent of the guy he met in campus.

That was it!

He needed to find the guy again. That warm vanilla scent. That was his answer.

~~~~~~~~~~

“I don’t think I am going to be able to go through with it.” Taehyun told Jinwoo as they sat together at the cafeteria for lunch.

“No, no! You are not going to back out on this bet.”

“But…”

“You are not putting yourself out there. “

“Seriously…”

“No, you will see this bet through and you will put your best effort out there. Understood?”

“Fine, whatever. Now, thanks to you I won’t be going to the café again. You were right. It felt totally weird.”

“See I told you so.” Jinwoo answered in a singsong voice.

Taehyun knew deep down that he needed to hold up his end of the bargain. After all, a bet was a bet. His best friend did not need to know every single detail that went on with his life. All Jinwoo needed to know was that Taehyun will put his best effort out there and see things through. Now that there was a guy who caught Taehyun’s interest, things could probably work out.

Suddenly, Taehyun knew exactly what he needed to do…

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun saw him on the street on one fine Saturday afternoon. It had been weeks since he gave him the directions to the library. Taehyun saw him ducked into a music store and decided to follow him. He headed straight for the guy and rested his arm on the guy’s shoulder, catching his attention.

“So did you find you way to the library?”

The guy in question turned around and smiled when he saw it was Taehyun. Up close, Taehyun examined the features more closely. There was something in those pair of dark eyes that was making it a little hard for Taehyun to breathe.

“I did, thanks.”

Taehyun glances down and saw that the guy was holding on to a Kanye West album.

“I have been looking for this since like forever.” The guy spoke nervously and Taehyun realized that it was the first full sentence that he heard him spoke. His voice was deep and really manly with a hint of dialect.

“I prefer Daft Punk.” Taehyun answered easily before he turned and walk away.

“Wait!”

Taehyun turned to face the guy as he chased down the aisle.

“What is your name?”

Taehyun pondered for a moment before answering.

“Let’s try something different. Do you have a free day today?” Taehyun asked as he smiled at the guy.

Mino had to work the afternoon shift today but he knew he could get Seungyoon to cover for him since his best friend had the day off. He might just not tell Seungyoon exactly what he will be up to since it was highly possible that Seungyoon was going to say no once he knew.

“Yes, I have. Free all day.”

“Awesome!”

“Let me buy this first.” Mino stated before he walked over to the cashier.

Taehyun followed behind him and tried his hardest to keep himself from looking at the guy’s identity card.

Mino put his stuff in his backpack and turned around to face the mysterious yet really intriguing guy. With his warm brown eyes staring back at him, Mino soon found himself speechless again.

“Let’s get out of here.” The guy announced and together they walked out of the store and ducked into a little quaint café that was a few stores down. They ordered their food and drinks before sitting quietly at a corner of the café so that they wouldl not be disturbed.

“Let’s make this memorable. Do you want to be a couple for a day?”

Mino nodded eagerly. He noticed how the guy spoke clearly and steadily unlike the Busan satoori he listened to all his life. There was something about the guy that was doing something to him and impairing his ability to form a single coherent sentence.

“Okay but we need some rules. Number one is that we don’t tell each other our name.”

“Then how am I supposed to address you?” Mino was perplexed yet really curious as to what the guy in front of him was up to.

“Well, we can give each other a pet name? We are a couple after all.”

“But we barely even know each other.” Mino said gently airing his concern about it but deep down he knew he was tickled pink at being able to call the guy by a pet name.

“I think you might be right about it.”

“But I am okay with it. Really…” Mino was quick to interrupt.

“So how do I call you then? Dear?”

Mino’s cheeks were practically bursting. The idea of the guy in front of him calling him dear was too appealing. He covered his mouth to hide the broad smile while chuckling like a love struck fool. Quickly composing himself, Mino cleared his throat.

“I will call you babe.” Mino then looks up to see his reaction.

The guy’s face was turning light pink and Mino knew he was falling for this nameless guy that was sitting in front of him.

Taehyun too covered his mouth from the smile he felt the need to hide before replying.

“It is fine. Since we are not sharing our names, then we cannot share our contact information as well. No phone numbers, email or whatsoever. Nothing of that sort.”

Taehyun was suddenly feeling really overwhelmed. Never in his entire life had he been so bold and brazen with a guy he found to be really attractive. When he realized that the silence was hanging in between them for a little too long for comfort, he quickly thought of the next condition.

“Number two is that we only have today to spend together and then we will part ways.”

Mino found his jaw to have slackened and now his mouth was hanging wide open as he stared dumbly at the guy.

“What?”

“Yes, we only have today then we part ways.”

“What is this? Are you like dying soon? Is this some kind of bucket list of things you want to do before you die?”

Taehyun could not help but to laugh at how cutely dramatic the guy was.

“No, I am as healthy as an ox. I am not fulfilling some dying wish or something. But hey, everyday, we are one step closer to our death isn’t it?” Taehyun laughed some more and Mino could not help but to chuckle along with him.

“Fine, so no names, no sharing of contact information and we only got today. What else?”

“A few more. No sharing of the people in our lives. We go to only places we have never been and finally, we won’t tell anyone else about this. Deal?”

Up to this point in the conversation, Mino could not care about the conditions except that he wanted to spend the day with the guy seated across from him. This charming flawless guy with a middle parting hairstyle.

“Deal!”

Mono sneaked off to give Seungyoon a call who gladly agreed to cover for his shift that day. Throughout the entire conversation, Mino kept his eyes on the droopy eyebrows guy, never once did his sight left him.

Mino suspected he might have already found the first guy that ever captured his heart.

~~~~~~~~~~

They made their way out of the café once they finished their meal. Once their feet hit the pavement, Mino reached down to grab his hand. Taehyun lets him and even adjusted their joined hands until their fingers are interlaced. Mino was caught by surprised but as they walked side by side, their steps were still awkward but already closer than before.

“B-B-Babe?” Mino stammered trying to get used to the feeling of calling a complete stranger by a pet name that was so intimate.

“Hmmm?”

“What is the purpose of you doing this?”

“I am trying to prove my friend’s theory wrong.”

Taehyun answered easily though he suspected that things might just backfire against him.

“Oh okay.”

“Well, you seemed fun to hang out with.”

They both could not help but to blush and suddenly they were reminded that whatever memories or connections forged for today will just be for today. Mino suddenly hated the conditions really much.

They walked for a little more before the guy pulled Mino into a small little jewelry shop.

“Couple rings.” He announced.

“Ermmm babe?”

“Couple rings. It is what I wanted to get when I have my first relationship.” The guy said as he walked along the display with a spring in his step.

“You never had a relationship before?!”

“Never, you had relationships before right?”

Mino could only shake his head at the guy.

“What?!” he exclaimed rather loudly.

“Yah! Keep it down. The world does not need to know.” Mino quickly shushed the guy.

“Ooops sorry, I just assumed you did. You seem like the kind that… never mind.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Tell me.”

“Well, you seem like you have a lot of relationship experience.”

The guy then proceeded to lead Mino out of the shop.

“No. Let’s get them.” Mino stated as he pulled the guy back.

Taehyun lets himself be happily pulled back as they began to choose the rings. Taehyun chose a simple white gold band while Mino chose a ring with different colored gemstones. Apparently, they have very distinct taste. As a middle ground, they selected a white gold band with a single gemstone.

Mino was happy that he could actually thrill the guy beside him. They paid the lady who then reached down to the display to retrieve the rings. They smiled as they put the shiny new rings on each of their fingers.

“Thank you… dear.” Taehyun said with a shy smile as he studied how nicely the ring sat on his finger.

“Wow you both look so cute. Quick give me your phone so I could take a picture!”

“Thank you but it is okay. We do not need a picture.” Taehyun answered as he turned to face the guy beside him.

“I will remember this moment forever.”

Mino’s heart was starting to race and there was this tight knot that was forming in his chest. Suddenly, he did not know if he could actually go through with this. The guy beside him quietly put the box in his bag before turning to leave the store. He reached for Mino’s hand but he pulled away.

“I don’t think I can do this, babe.”

Taehyun turned towards him, shocked.

“Then why agree to it in the first place?”

“Because I thought I could spend a day with you and be happy enough but now I know I never would.”

Taehyun felt really bad. In all honesty, he was putting up a brave front too because deep down he knew that he liked the guy too. A lot…

“Do you want to stop then?” Taehyun suggested.

The guy beside him was quiet as he contemplated deeply.

“Can we date after today?”

Taehyun was torn, utterly torn. Should he continue to disprove Jinwoo’s theory or start dating the guy he truly liked? He tried his best to search for a compromise.

“Let’s think of a signal to send to the universe. If it works then we date.”

“What is that signal?”

“I am not sure yet. Let’s think of one.”

~~~~~~~~~~

They decided on having pasta for lunch. Mino reached forward to take the guy’s hand in his after they had placed their orders and they were settled in their seats.

“Dear, it is my treat.”

“Tell me something that no one knows about you, babe.” Mino said as the guy absently played with the ring on his finger.

“You are the first guy I ever held hands with.”

“Really?” Mino smiled. He was so falling hard for the guy in front of him.

“Your turn.”

“I am totally in love with rap music.”

“Ah, that would explain the album you bought earlier.”

They continue trading their likes and dislikes but all the while staying within the boundaries of the rules they set as they ate their food while holding hands. Things like Mino’s favorite rap artists and Taehyun’s admiration for Jean-Michel Basquiat.

Mino had never met anther person that was so into art as the guy in front of him.

They were amazed at how easily they could talk about things to each other but time was definitely not on their side. Every now and then they would look down at their watch when they thought the other was not paying attention. Counting down the hours they have together to smile, laugh and sigh before they had to call it a day and part for good. 

Mino definitely knew that after today, he would never be the same again.

~~~~~~~~~~ 

They were sitting in the bus stop after a nice walk at Han River Park. The day was coming to an end and both were dreading the idea of having to part ways for good.

During the short time together, Taehyun had came to know that the guy beside him was smart, ambitious and with a wonderful sense of humor. Whenever they reached to a point when the conversation suddenly stops, he would throw in a line or two that will leave Taehyun in stitches. Taehyun found it absolutely adorable that he would suddenly speak with satoori and not to mention the way he looked at Taehyun that just left him breathless at times.

Mino came to know that they guy beside him was just as ambitious as he was, attractive and kind. Though he sounded really sure of himself yet there was this little hint of naivety that he had that just made Mino want to protect him. He was definitely attracted to him and found himself drifting his gaze towards the guy’s lips wondering how it would be like to feel them against his.

“Have you thought about the signal that we will be sending, babe? To see if we would continue this or spell the end of us?” Mino asked as he drew lazy circles on the guy’s hand.

“Yes and I have came up with something. Let’s each go to the library, find our favorite books and leave our name in one of the pages. Plus I will leave the time to meet in mine.”

“By when we need to find the book?”

“How about a week later? We find the slips of paper and meet back here and if both of us showed up, we will date. If things do not work out and we see each other again, we will be friends okay?”

“Fine whatever.” Taehyun knew he was not happy with the arrangement but he was fighting his own sadness as well. if this did not work out, the first person he will be strangling the life out of will be Jinwoo.

A bus pulls up at the bus stop and Taehyun was getting up to get ready to board when he felt a tug.

“Let’s not end this. We are so good together. Why end something that is so good? We deserve a chance to be together to see where this will take us.” Mino mumbled as he embraced the guy tightly in his arms.

His begging was like a cut into Taehyun’s heart. He knew that the bus service would not end until another 4 hours later but he knew that if he stayed any longer, he would end up not leaving at all.

“I have to go.” Taehyun said in a barest hint of whisper. He badly wants to date him freely so at that very moment, he threw all of his trust into the universe to make that happen for them. He absolutely could not believe that 24 hours ago, he would have never bought any of this crap.

“Let us believe in the impossible.” Taehyun said before kissing him on the cheek and stepped into the bus.

Mino followed him as he walked to his seat at the back of the bus by the window. He very badly wanted to board the bus with him. Anywhere the bus went even if it was till the ends of the earth, he would willingly follow him.

Taehyun leaned towards the window to use his breath to fog up the glass and scribbled something backwards so that the guy outside could see. He walked right up to the window and saw his handwriting, his eyes looking longingly into his as their palms pressed against each other through the glass. 

Believe…

~~~~~~~~~~

On Monday, as soon as the doors to the library opened, Mino went in to find his favorite book and carefully placing a slip of paper containing his name into the page that was the halfway point in the book before he carefully slipped the book back into its original spot. Mino would have staked out in the library all day long just for the guy to find his book but he got a full morning half of classes and a double shift to report at the café later.

Taehyun sneaked into the library during his lunch break to find the book that he had borrowed countless of times since he started studying here  and placed a slip of paper with his name and a time written on it for 6.00 pm.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino was in a mess. He was not eating well, or sleeping. He was just spending his days with a dazed and confused expression on his face. He was practically holed up in the library and Seungyoon was extremely concerned

“What is wrong with you, man? Spill.”

“Nothing.” Mino answered as he sat on the couch with his journal opened in front of him.

“Stop lying. What happened that day when I covered your shift.”

Mino could not even tell what was going on since it was one of the conditions. Instead, he just shook his head.

“Nothing.”

“Is it about that guy?”

Mino stopped his scribbling, looked at his best friend before he went back to his scribbling. Mino only shook his head.

“Bull! It is about the guy. What did I tell you? Haven’t my breakups served as a warning? This first guy you ever wanted to date was over before it even began properly. You are worse than me!”

Mino could only shrugged. He was too weak to fight so he just continued to write until Seungyoon got too exasperated and left him alone. He filled up 2 full books in the span of 5 days and he could not stop. Lyrics just flowed out effortlessly and he began mixing melodies to go with the words in his room.

Mino looked at the time on the wall clock and figured he still had some time left before the library closed for the day. He quickly put the journal on his desk and went out to the library in search of his babe’s favorite book.

He still had 2 days left.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun was not faring any better. He figured that the universe was teaching him a lesson called karma. It was already 6 days in and he still had not found the book. Taehyun had already gone past the initial sadness and now moved into the state of being utterly defeated.

“Wow you look terrible. Utterly, terrible.” Jinwoo commented as he sat down beside him taking in the sight of Taehyun.

“Thanks, I can always trust you to be completely honest.” Taehyun mumbled.

Jinwoo inspected his usually carefully put together best friend. The dark circles under his eyes were absolutely troubling.

“You need to put more effort into how you look before coming out of the house, Taehyun-ah.”

Taehyun shot his best friend a killer glare but could not help but to hold his tongue as he took in the fact that Jinwoo was dressed extra nice that day.

“What is going on with you?” Taehyun asked.

“Nothing.”

“Stop lying. What is going on?”

“Seungyoon and I are going out on a date tonight!” Jinwoo clapped his hand excitedly.

“I thought you both are over…”

“You were totally right. He was the right one for me. I was being too ridiculous so I called him and he missed me too. Who was I kidding? The universe to decide my life. What a load of crap. It is just crazy.”

It was taking everything within Taehyun’s control not to start screaming and strangling at his best friend.

“Are you freaking kidding me right now? You mean to say that you have changed your mind about universe determining the course of your life?”

“Yes that is right.”

Jinwoo quipped as he took a bite of his lunch. He was totally missing the look on his friend's face right at that moment.

“Oh ya, Seungyoon want me to meet his best friend, Min-something. Do you want to accompany me?”

“What do you think my answer would be?” Taehyun all but gritted his teeth in answer.

“Wow what happened?” Jinwoo finally took a good hard look at his best friend who was clearly pissed through the roof.

“What is going on? I will tell you what happened. I met this guy. A totally wonderful guy that I badly want to date but because of you and your stupid little bet where I let universe determine my fate. I might just lose him to friend zone.”

“Do you even understand my situation here, Jinwoo? Now, you are asking me to go with you to meet this friend of Seungyoon’s when I am looking like this?!”  

Taehyun was beyond pissed. He was practically livid.

“Oh my god, I did not know you will actually go through with the bet.”

“Well, I did.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

“No. Now if you do not mind. I need to go to the library before it closes.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Come on, Mino-ah. You need to meet Jinwoo.”

“No I am extremely exhausted. I will meet him another time.”

“Not even for 5 minutes?”

“We both jolly well know that it will take much much longer than 5 minutes.”

“Oh well, too bad. I think he is bringing his friend Taehyun along.

“Who is that?”

“That guy I was saying that I think I should be ending up with. However, Minzy was right., we would never work out. Like she said, zero chemistry. I think you and him would be a good match though from the way I see it.”

“Whatever, I will meet him another time too.”

“Wallowing in misery is never good for anyone.”

Mino waved his friend off. He picked up his journal to write and was not done until the next morning.

His first real song was finally finished.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun grabbed his hair in frustration. It was already 4.30pm and he still had not found the correct book. He was really close to losing whatever hope and positive thinking he had left. He desperately tried to recall all the favorite things that they talked about in the short amount of time that they had spent together.

Remembering every single place they went…

Taehyun suddenly perked up as he remembered something important. He quickly ran towards the nearest computer to type in the keywords in the search field and quickly noted down the aisle and section number. He quickly run his fingers over the spines of the books until he found “The Hip Hop Years: A history of Rap”.

Taehyun quickly pulled out the book and a slip of paper falls silently to the ground. He picked up the paper and looked at the neat handwriting and breathed a sigh of relief while reading the name “Song Minho” out loud.

He quickly shoved the piece of paper into his pocked at ran towards the taxi stand. He figured with only half an hour to get to the other side of town. Taxi was his best bet. He all but quickly got himself inside the free cab with a “please drive fast sir.” After giving his destination.

Taehyun reached his destination 10 minutes late. It could not be helped that the evening rush hour traffic was really bad and he was tapping his feet impatiently through out the whole journey.

He quickly paid the driver and ran towards the same bus stop where they parted just a week ago. It was empty with no one in sight.

“No! no! no!” Taehyun whined earning weird looks from passer-bys

Taehyun plopped down heavily on the seat and rested his forehead on his knees. He felt utterly defeated as he clutched onto the paper in his hand tightly.

It was too late...

Taehyun must have been too late or he could not find Taehyun’s favorite book.

Taehyun felt someone sitting beside him silently and then he saw a tissue paper entering into his line of vision. He took it silently to wipe the tears that he did not even noticed have appeared in his eyes.

He lifted his head to thank the person and suddenly he found himself face to face with Song Minho, who was just like him holding a piece of paper in his hand containing his name.

“Nam Taehyun.”

“Song Minho.” Taehyun said in barely a breath.

“Sorry to have kept you waiting but I needed to go to the bathroom.” He explained.

“How long were you here?”

“A little over 2 hours. I could not wait so I came early. But, even if I did not manage to find your name, I would have come here just so I could see you again.

“I would have came too even if I did not managed to find it too.” Taehyun answered as he let Mino pulled him into his arms. Taehyun held him tight with his arms around Mino’s neck while he breathed in the scent of Mino’s cologne on his shirt.

“Did you know that the library had 10 over books on Basquiat? I had to flip through every single one of them for it. It was the last book of the lot before I found your paper.” Mino said he pulled back so he could look at Taehyun.

“It is all right babe. Everything is going to be fine from now on.” Mino said as he brushed a lone tear on Taehyun’s cheek.

Mino leaned down to kiss him softly on the lips. Fate or destiny. Taehyun was now a complete believer in them. It brought him back to Mino, a force of nature, in to Taehyun’s world. Mino’s presence was slowly but surely filling into his entire being and Taehyun could not wait to see how else Mino could move him.