For infinity... With no end

Namsong Series

Nam Taehyun always thought some of the love stories he saw on television were so cliché looking and wondered why some girls put themselves through hell and back with their unrequited or those one-sided love affairs. He never got them or even understood them.

How could one be ever so stupid?

There are still many other fishes in the sea right? There is no need to get so stressed out over one out of the millions of them…

However at the end of the day, Taehyun was not any better because in the end, he was the same as those helpless characters he watched on those shows on the television. Those same people who were so miserable and unhappy over the state of their relationships.

Yes, he became that pathetic just like those actresses…

Even how he started to fall for a certain guy by the name of Song Minho was typical….

~~~~~~~~~~

Nam Taehyun was your typical model student with good grades with a few good friends. He was a bit to the geeky side since he was quiet, enjoyed books and video gaming instead going out and about to be seen and heard. He was not anti-social but just introverted by nature.

He was a little hesitant about the start of his summer internship with a marketing firm since he was never really good with meeting new people and it always took a while before he begins to warm up with someone new.

He realized that Song Minho was also posted to the same company by the school when he saw him walked in to report for his first day as well. Taehyun thought maybe this might not be such a bad idea since there was another person here that he was sort familiar with.

After all, who in their university did not know the guy called Song Minho?

He was the typical poplar guy on the campus since he was on the basketball team, could make friends with almost everyone he sees and there was the talk about him being a some sort of a player who fleeted from one relationship to another…

Song Minho was not the typical popular bad boy that one should know better than to get close to but yet at the same time he was not exactly an angel either. Taehyun knew enough to know that one should proceed with caution with such a guy…

However even with knowing that little well-known fact about Mino, still he fell…

~~~~~~~~~~

“Is the seat beside you taken?” A deep voice asked and Taehyun looked up from his seat only to find Song Minho looking at him with friendly smile. 

“Go ahead, it is not taken…” Taehyun answered before he continued eating his sandwich while Mino took the empty seat beside him.

Taehyun had trouble finding a spot at the lunch tables in the pantry since the colleagues there had their own individual lunch cliques. Therefore, Taehyun sat at the only table left where the slightly older aunties were sitting and began to dig into his sandwich.

So he was rather surprised when he saw Song Minho standing before him since Taehyun naturally thought he would be lunching with his new team mates.

“I am Song Minho and you are? I don’t think I seen you around the campus before…”

“I am Nam Taehyun. I do hang around in campus and you are in a few of my classes but it is just that you did not notice me… After all I am just another face in the crowd.”

“Guilty as charged.” Mino truthfully answered smiling a little when he saw how the guy sitting beside him was looking amused.

“You look amused…”

“It is only because I find the conversation rather amusing.” Taehyun answered easily.

From there on they sort of form an unlikely friendship together, eating lunch together every day or sharing about their interests. Taehyun knew that it was temporary since Mino had no one else to talk to. Once they go back for their regular semester, they will be strangers once again or mere acquaintances if Taehyun was lucky enough.

Taehyun did not when it started but he started liking the guy more and more. Maybe it was the way that Mino would follow to his pace or the way he would be all joking but turn around to become really serious as he talked about what he wanted to do after he graduated.

Taehyun was happy just to have his attention as though they were real friends before they would inevitably revert back once the summer internship was over.

~~~~~~~~~~

The first day back for the next semester was a little bittersweet for Taehyun since he will be back to old quiet self in the sea of students but he was glad that he was back in comfortable circle of his good friends.

“Hello Taehyun-ah.” A familiar voice greeted him when Taehyun reached the door of his class.”

“Oh, hello Mino hyung…” Taehyun was surprised that Mino would still acknowledge him now that they were back with their regular semester.

“Let’s seat together for class!” Mino suggested and pulled the still surprised Taehyun into the lecture hall before he could even form a reply.

It went on for the rest of the week where Mino would want to sit next to him during their classes together or random appearing just to have lunch together. His friends were skeptical of Mino’s behavior and out of pure concern, warned Taehyun to be careful.

Who know how long it will last until Mino got tired or bored?

After all, Taehyun knew really well that he was not exactly the best “friend” material and knew that it took a lot of to put up with him.   

Therefore, when it seemed that Mino’s attention span did not seem to falter, Taehyun began to harbor that little piece of hope even though he knew he well enough that he should not.

~~~~~~~~~~

They have gotten to the point where they would hang out in Taehyun’s place in the university dorms since he lived in a single space. There had been skeptical and knowing looks but Mino so far was not paying any heed to them and continued to seek for Taehyun’s company.

“Taehyun-ah... Can I ask you something?” it was one of those days where Mino came over to Taehyun’s place to spend the afternoon.

“Hmmm?” Taehyun answered without looking up from his laptop as he continued to type furiously.

“If you have this friend that you like sort of like for a while what will you do?”

“Sort of? What do you mean sort of? Is either you like or you don’t like the person... it is that simple.” Taehyun answered without looking up and continued to work on his assignment.

 “Well, sort of as in you do not know if the person likes you back?” Mino clarified further.

“If it was me, I would just tell the person…”

“Even if it meant that you might get rejected by the person?”

“If I get rejected, I can tell myself that at least I managed to tell the person my feelings. At least I tried my best to make it word instead of never expressing it.” Taehyun shrugged.  

Mino pondered over what Taehyun just said and decided  that he was right and that he should be brave about it and give it a go.  

When Mino suddenly took Taehyun’s hands causing him to look at him, it was then that Mino confessed that he liked him.

Taehyun smiled brightly and did not hesitate to say yes.

~~~~~~~~~~

It went without saying that his friends were a little worked up with the new status of the relationship. They kept telling Taehyun that Mino was fooling around that a leopard will never change its spots.  However, Taehyun would not listen to any of it.

It might be different this time…

That was what he hoped and constantly told himself as he tried to wash the doubts away.

It was less than a month in and Taehyun already heard the murmurings that Mino was back to his old ways again and that he was just Mino’s new flavor at the moment. Random spottings of Mino out in a club, getting cozy with people in the clubs were spreading like wildfire by the time it reached Taehyun’s ears.

However, Taehyun would not let it eat him. Until, he caught Mino red-handed or Mino was to confess, Taehyun would always believe him.

But that did not mean that it did not hurt...

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino knew he was taking Taehyun for granted. He knew Taehyun like him more than he did. He still partied hard, got chummy with people he made in the club that he was interested or turned up at Taehyun’s place all drunk.

Still, Taehyun was still beside him.

One fateful night after his usual group of friends partied a little too hard and ignored the usual advise of not drinking and driving, they got into a horrible accident leaving Mino the only survivor as he was the only one with the seatbelt strapped in.  Mino had to grow up pretty fast then.

Those whom he used to call his “brothers” were nowhere to be found. They pretty much disappeared after knowing that Mino would never recover well enough to do strenuous running sports again. 

However, Taehyun was different, he was the only one who was willing to stay by his side as he accompanied Mino through his long road of recovery from accompany and helping him with his physiotherapy to putting up with his childish mood swings, tantrums and moments of self-pity.

Taehyun never once complained in fact he went on and pushed Mino to work on his physiotherapy even harder. Mino wondered how Taehyun could even have the patience to put up with him since a normal person would have just given up.

~~~~~~~~~~

Then was once where Mino was going to meet Taehyun at the library where he saw him walking out with his friends and he was laughing at something they joked.

It struck a chord with Mino as he scratched his mind wondering when was the last time he ever saw Taehyun laughing so brightly at him. In fact, he wanted that bright smile of his to be directed at him only, no one else.

It was then Mino knew that he had fallen for him too.       

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino decided that since it was their one year anniversary soon which was the longest he ever had a relationship with a single person, he wanted to prepare a nice dinner and a gift for Taehyun. After all, Mino figured that he had been nothing except a ty boyfriend and never really showed Taehyun any romance or that he cared.

Mino wanted to properly sweep Taehyun off his feet because his boyfriend deserved it. It was a new going to be a new beginning for them and he was going to be the best for Taehyun because he was worth it.

He spent whatever little free time he could to get ready the customized bracelets he bought, researching dinner recipes that he could whip up with his less than decent cooking skills.

Mino’s heart swelled with pride when he saw the look on Taehyun’s face when he came home from his classes.

“What is all this?” Taehyun asked as he gestured towards the dining table where Mino set up his little anniversary surprise.

“Happy one year anniversary, Taehyun-ah…” Mino announced as he wrapped his arms around Taehyun before giving him a kiss. He could feel Taehyun stiffen up after all Taehyun’s first kiss was done during one of Mino’s drunken stupor so the guy literally had no experience.

Mino was super sweet to Taehyun throughout the night and when Mino finally presented the couple bracelet, Taehyun felt as though it was the firs time that he was in a true relationship with Mino. He finally understood why falling in love and being in a relationship was so wonderful. It was an extremely amazing feeling to be in love and knowing that your love was reciprocated back.

It was the perfect picture that Taehyun ever wanted from all those drama he watched…

For infinity... With no end...

That was how they were going to be from no on...

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino was panicking like a crazy man. There was this fear that was gripping his heart and no matter how much he tried he just could not shake off the feeling.

Why did always have to happen just when things were starting to get really good with Taehyun?

It was like the past image he had of himself just keep managing to find a way to appear right in front of him. He had been trying really hard to redeem himself with Taehyun doing things or spending like that of normal couples and he was beginning to make some good progress until that happened again.

Mino was very afraid that Taehyun might not take him back this time.

“Are those rumors true?” Taehyun asked quietly over dinner. He had not spoken a word about it until then Taehyun was just quiet and locked himself in his room immediately when he came home. Mino knew Taehyun was hurt by it really bad.

“It never happened. I swear… I would never do that to you. I love you.” Mino tried his hardest to explain hoping that his words were getting into Taehyun somehow.

“Okay then…” Taehyun nodded but there was something in his eyes that told Mino that he did not quite believe his words.

“Are we okay, Taehyun-ah?”

“I really don’t know…” Taehyun answered softly looking troubled and sad.

Mino’s heart sank at those three words.  

~~~~~~~~~~

Things went on as per normal. They acted normally with each other as though the last episode was nothing like a nightmare and Mino thought all was well again until one night when Taehyun finally said the words he dreaded to hear.

“I cannot do this anymore.”

“Please don’t…”

“I have given you so many chances… I am really tired… What is a relationship where my heart cannot bring itself to trust the words you say? Or know that you will never love me as much as I do for you…”

“That is not true… I do love you…”

“I really want to trust what you say to me but I can’t… I want to be happy again…” Taehyun muttered with a sad finality to his voice.

Mino could not find the words to argue. There was nothing more important that Taehyun’s happiness…

Just like that… They came to an end… They were finally set free….

~~~~~~~~~~      

With no end…

Taehyun traced words that were engraved on the bracelet that he wore on his left wrist and he could not help but to think back on his decision to end things between he and Mino.

It had been 2 years, 3 weeks and 6 days since they parted ways and in this duration he had the time to think and reflect and realize how foolish he had been to keep holding on to the pain knowing that Mino most probably was feeling the same way as he did at that time.

As he sat at the café, stirring his coffee blindly, Taehyun could not help but to let his mind wonder how Mino was doing.

Did Mino ever thought about how he was doing?

Or if he was he happier now?

Or would it be just a passing relationship and that Mino now had someone new in his life?

All these unanswered questions and Taehyun wondered if he would ever get an answer to them.

He figured Mino would most probably be happier after all Taehyun put him through yet his heart had been so stubborn and unwilling to believe the countless  “I love yous” and “I am sorrys”. Taehyun realized he was no different from those unreasonable partners that sometimes he friends would lament about.

If only Taehyun could turn back time to that night, would things turned out differently for them then?

They would probably still be together now still? Or would they have eventually parted ways?

Taehyun sighed. He would allow himself to wallow for just a few more moments before he went back to his real life problems at work.

“Here, please take a seat.”  A deep voice spoke and immediately Taehyun was on alert.

It was a voice the he could still recognize even after 2 years, 3 weeks and 6 days. He knew the voice from anywhere. From the distance, Taehyun knew that the owner of that voice set down directly behind him. They were deep in discussion about a project that went on for the next hour before it ended.

 “Mino hyung…” Taehyun began once his partners left the café and the guy was alone.

Mino froze at the sound of a familiar voice calling out to him. Turning around, he saw the guy who haunted his thoughts for the past 2 years standing behind him with a small tentative smile.

“Taehyun-ah… How have you been?”

Mino looked the same as Taehyun remembered him except that was more tone but he still sported same dark hair and tanned skinned. Taehyun’s heart ached a little.

“I have been good. How about you?”

Taehyun was like how he remembered him to be. Slim, with the pale skinned and his elegant facial feature. Taehyun looked more confident than when he was back in his university days. This version of Nam Taehyun was better, definitely better.

“I have been good too.”

Mino wanted to continue but Taehyun cut him off immediately with his hand outstretched as though getting ready for a handshake.

“Hi, I am Nam Taehyun. It is nice to meet you.”

It took a while but he managed to catch on to Taehyun’s intentions and maybe this time they could both find the clean slate that they needed or so he hoped...

“Hi, I am Song Minho. Do you have time for a walk?” He took the younger guy’s hand in his. The feeling was so familiar, warm and achingly sweet.

Both of their gazes drifted down and realized they were both wearing the bracelets on their wrists.

For infinity… With no end…

“Yes I have a little time for a walk…” Taehyun smiled brightly as he answered.

Together, they left the café and headed to the nearby park a short distance away where they then sat down on a bench and did not spoke for a while. They both just wanted to savor the feel of being close to each other after so long.

As they sat at the little quiet spot in the park, Taehyun began talking about what he had been doing and how he talked about the guy he still loved all these while even though he did a lot things to hurt him. However, in the end, he still loved him despite it all and he only came to realize that after they broke up.

Mino quietly listened without breaking momentum. It was as though he was not the guy that caused Taehyun so much pain and to have so much doubts in them..

In turn, Mino shared what he had been up to and about his guy that he did not much have feelings for in the beginning but soon realize that he had been falling for without him knowing. He talked about his actions that caused the guy he loved a lot of hurt and took him for granted.

Taehyun listened with tears in his eyes as though he was not the person that Mino was referring too.

Mino held Taehyun in his arms as he wiped off his tears savoring the feel of hugging him again after so long.

“I am so sorry, Taehyun-ah. For all the pain…” Mino whispered the words he longed to tell.

This time Taehyun’s heart welcomed the words it was as though the words alone were able to wipe away the hurt leaving only the good memories of the past he had of the guy that was holding him.

Their slate was finally clean again…

“I am sorry too, Mino hyung.”

 “Can WE happen again?” Mino asked softly.

Taehyun gently removed himself from Mino’s hold so that he could look up into his eyes. All he could see was the love in them as Taehyun held his gaze.

“Yes, let US happen again…” Taehyun smiled softly before giving his answer.

It was easily the best answer that Mino ever received.

 

I love you...

For infinity…

With no end...