Blurred Lines (Part 3)

Namsong Series

In the months that followed after the first phone call, they sort of have a pattern going on with random text messages, late night calls and the occasional meet up for a quick chat or a meal. Taehyun was initially hesitant but there was something with Mino’s voice that he just could not seem to reject to his seemingly random requests.

Never would Taehyun imagine how the two of them who could not be any more different yet in reality were so common in many ways. Mino was the errant playboy who was mostly out and about while the younger guy was a self-imposed recluse who first thought was to close himself off as though it was the only way he could stay sane.

Without even realizing it, Mino’s birthday was drawing closer and closer before Taehyun even realized it. He figured since they were friends, it would be rude not to get a gift for him right? However, that brought about another set of problems as it meant figuring out what to get for a certain birthday boy.

What can I possibly give him that he has not owned?

“Urgh! This is so hard.” Taehyun grumbled earning a slightly startled glance from Yoon Hwi

“Is everything okay, oppa? Something is troubling you?” She asked as she scooted over a little closer.

“Well, someone’s birthday is coming up and I have no idea what to get him.” Taehyun sighed as he ran his hand over his hair while trying to think of something.

“Oh is it for your midnight boyfriend, oppa?” Yoon Hwi quipped immediately and Taehyun swore he saw the curiosity shining in her eyes.

“First of all, he is not my boyfriend but a friend. Wait how did you know?” Taehyun asked the girl next to him who just shrugged her shoulders.

“You do cut short our practices when it runs late or if there is a tinkle to your phone.”

“OH… MY… GOD…” Taehyun groaned before burying his head in his hands in total embarrassment.

“Is he treating you well?” Yoon Hwi asked.

“I guess he does? As much as I hate to admit it, I enjoyed talking to him.” Taehyun answered letting out a smile that he could not quite keep it in.

“I am glad then. I have never seen you smile like this and I am happy it is because of him. I will be willing to help on this little project.”

“Really?”

“Yes and I promise I won’t tell the others for now.”

“Thank Yoon Hwi. I will tell the rest of them soon.”

With a smile, they started to throw out ideas as to what might a good gift for a person who seemed to be not lacking in anything of any sort. It did not take long for the girl to connect the dots and to figure out who was this “midnight boyfriend”.

“I think I know who it is, oppa but I am going to wait until you are comfortable enough to tell us about him.”

Taehyun had expected as much given the little clues here and there. She could easily just connect the dots and know just who was this person. In fact, he was thankful that she decided not to press him for any confirmation to her suspicions.

“Why don’t you make something for him instead? You are good with arts and crafts. It will be more meaningful too. Don’t you think?”

Come to think of it, it was probably not such a bad idea.

“I think you are most probably right.”

Over the course of the next few days, Taehyun and Yoon Hwi went to various stores to get the items needed and finding whatever little pockets of time in between their practices to get the gift done.

“Wow this looks so nice! I am sure he is going to like the gift.” She exclaimed as she watched Taehyun put the finishing touches to the handmade gift.

“I am glad it turned out really well.”

“Have you called him to arrange a day to meet him so that you could hand him your gift?’

“I will text him later to arrange.”

“Good luck, Oppa. I really hope he will like the gift. I am excited to see his reaction. Anyways, I better get going to sleep off the alcohol.” Yoon Hwi commented before she took her stuff and left the studio for the day.

Basking in the comfortable silence that followed after he younger girl left, Taehyun gave the gift one more round of checking before carefully placing it into the box. He then looked around the worktable for his phone.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, he then began to scroll through the list of his contacts before typing a message.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was another successful round of tours for this promotional cycle of their group activities. As usual, they decided to close it in Japan. There was something special in Japan after all it was the destination they headed to first before the rest of the world. The management has timed it pretty well for Mino to celebrate his birthday with the fans.

He was lounging in his room again unable to sleep and was hoping that a certain someone might be awake to keep him company.

Ever since their first telephone conversation, he had been craving more and more interaction with the younger guy. From text messages to calls to finally meeting up for random late into the night chats and impromptu suppers, Mino would not deny that there was something deeper that was lurking within him and each time Taehyun lets his guard down a bit more, it made him happy to know that they were getting more comfortable with each other.

Besides, Taehyun being a singer meant that Mino could send him snippets of sound files on the pieces that he was working on and the younger guy would take a listen when he was free and replied via text his feedback from the point of an outsider. It was often than not that incorporating his feedback proved to be better in terms of how the song flowed.

Of course, Mino could never deny the excitement he felt or that heart racing feeling whenever he got a response from Taehyun.

The cheerful tinkle of the messaging tone has the rapper quickly scrambling out of bed to the writing desk of the hotel room praying inwardly that the message was from the person who was occupying his mind at that moment.

Mino’s smile only got wider as he tapped the touchscreen to read the message received.

CaTtY

How was the concert tonight?

Are you doing anything for your birthday?

2.15am

Mino could not control his wide smile as he dialed the now familiar number instead of replying the messages.  There was a sudden desire to hear Taehyun’s voice and he was sure the younger guy must be blushing really hard over at his end since it was the first time Taehyun initiated for a meet up.

“So that did you intend to do for my birthday?” Mino teased immediately once the younger guy picked up his call barely into the second ring.

“Mino-ssi, don’t you tired? Shouldn’t you be sleeping then calling once you have properly rested?” Taehyun answered without even greeting him, embarrassment evident in his tone of voice.

Mino decided to let him go for a while. He could be nice too even if it was just for a fleeting moment.

“You know I cannot sleep… Since you are apparently awake at this hour, why can’t I call you? Your voice always has a soothing effect over me.” Mino confessed the teasing tone to his voice was gone.

Taehyun kept silent over at his end of the line. Mino waited because he knew that the younger guy was trying to get over the embarrassment and get back his composure before talking again.

“How was the concert just now? I saw fan taken photos and snippets, it looks like you all have fun.”

“It was great. The feeling of being on stage and doing what I love is the best feeling because it is just you, music and the fans. Was it the same with you too?”

“Yes it was and still is the best feeling ever. I am sorry to my past members. We have trained so hard and spend so many years working towards debut.”

Taehyun explained his voice turning a little wistful as the memories pulled at him. Mino wisely kept quiet because he had never heard the younger guy sounding like that but the main reason was because Taehyun had never been the one to share much of his thoughts. He usually has no patience for the serious talk unless it was s but with Taehyun it was different. He wanted to know everything.

“I guess at the end of the day my music is not something that the mainstream market wants plus I was not strong enough to keep trying. I was not strong enough to deal with the increasing pressure. I was not eating and sleeping well.”

“It is not your fault, Taehyun-ah”

“Bluntly put, the management still needs to earn at the end of the day if my songs do not do well on the chart all the efforts come not naught. It has taken me a while to come to terms with it and I am in a much happier place now.” The guy at the other end of the line pointed out and Mino could not argue because he knew it was the truth.

“I am thankful that my members understood and supported me because it could have turned out really nasty but it was all well. They have taken turns to call me to congratulate on my recent release and we decided to meet up for a meal. It was good just like the old times where we were complete… They will always have a special place in my heart and we will cheer for each other at the end of the day.”

Taehyun fell silent after that and the awkward came back like the elephant in the room. It was definitely a first since it was the most that Taehyun has ever shared.

“It was a brave thing to do what you did. You took the brave step to get out when it is not working out and start from scratch and look where you are now.  I am proud of you for pursuing what you truly love.”

“Thank you, Mino-ssi. It means a lot to me.”

The silence that followed only seem to fuel the already very awkward situation. Mino decided he should not make the situation more uncomfortable than it already was.

“Oh yes, someone was asking me what plans am I having for my birthday? Did you prepare a gift for my birthday?” Mino asked cheerfully.

“Well… I was just wondering if you are free… I mean not on the actual day since I think you are celebrating it with your members and fans but another day when you are back in Seoul.” The younger said those words in a rush and Mino could not help but to be tickled pink at the fact that the guy at the other end of the like sounded so shy asking him out.

Like he was going to turn down Taehyun or worse do not show up at all. 

They eventually decided to meet up the day after his birthday at one of the private restaurants around Cheongdam area where the crowd was lesser and celebrities could dine in peace without having the occasional sneaky lens of the paparazzi following.

It went without saying that the upcoming meeting will be the key motivator that will help Mino see the rest of the Japan promotional leg through to the end.

“It is getting really late. You should go and sleep or you are going to be so tired tomorrow.”

“If you really wanted me to go and sleep that you should sing me something.”

“Yah! Are you even paying me for this!?” Taehyun exclaimed but Mino was not the least bit frazzled by his sudden outburst.

“Taehyun… You know exactly the effect your voice have on me and how soothing it is. If you are worried about me not getting enough rest and want me to see then sing for me. Anything at all… Your pick.” Mino answered softly, his voice going husky as he shifted so that he was lying more comfortably on the bed.

“Urgh! Are you always this greasy with your friends, Song Minho-ssi!?”

Mino let out a small laugh not even feeling offended. Taehyun always used Mino-ssi when he is feel sarcastic but when Song Mino-ssi comes out, the rapper knew it was going to one of those burning stinging ones that will spew out of the guy’s mouth.

He was slowly but definitely learning the way Taehyun expressed himself through their conversations.

“You only find it so greasy because you refused to fall for me.”

“Seriously, did anyone ever told you that you have extremely large head. I am really surprised that you could even balance at all by the sheer size of it.“ Taehyun huffed.

“Please sing for me Taehyun…” Mino pleaded softly again.

With another frustrated sigh and a few deep breaths, a soft voice that was distinctively Nam Taehyun filled his ear. Mino was not lying when he mentioned that there was this soothing quality to the singer’s voice. It did not take long for the rapper’s breath to deepen and eyelids to suddenly feel heavy.

“Good night, Mino-ah…” was the last time he heard before Mino finally succumb to sleep and floated away into dreamland.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hihi! A lil late but better than never, here is the 3rd part! I hope I have not bore you yet with the story. Thanks for taking the time to read this little fic of mine and do let me know your thoughts on it! See you soon on the next part! =)