All I Want for Christmas...

Namsong Series

A normal person might scurry for last midnight presents on Christmas Eve, taking advantage on the winter season’s promotions and sales. However, for six special people, things were slightly different. In fact, things were in frenzy as they hurried with the gift wrapping and list checking.

“Okay, I have finished my batch for Australia and New Zealand. Who still needs help?” Bobby announced. “

“Me… I cannot believe for a second year in a row you got the same place. I am so unlucky this year to get the two largest populations on earth!” Seungyoon muttered with a huff as he struggled with the ribbons.

“It is all in the luck of the draw. Ya, it to be you with China and India.” Bobby said proudly as he came over to help Seungyoon with the ribbons. 

“There was no luck involved for you! You just took whatever that was left when we draw for the areas. Okay! I am done for Middle East. ” Minzy muttered as she blew her fringe off from her eyes.

“Same for me with America & Canada.” Hanbin looked up from his finished stack of presents.

“Both Europe and Asia are done as well.” Taehyun muttered before he and Bom went over to Seungyoon’s side.

The six of them worked in a comfortable silence with each of them rapidly wrapping up the presents all 2.6 billion of them. They managed to finished wrapping all of them with just four hours left to midnight.

“Whew! Thanks guys! I was so afraid that I might not be able to finish them.” Seungyoon muttered.

“Okay, let’s all do a final double check and then please set your watches and make sure we are in constant update of our progress.” Bom instructed.

“With four hours left to do the deliveries, we have more than enough time. Since Bobby has the least amount of present to deliver, after you are done hurry to where Seungyoon is.” Hanbin instructed as he tuned his watch.

“Got it.”

“Whoever that is done just let us know and whoever needs help just holler. If not, the default is to go over to Seungyoon’s.” Bom continued.

Everyone in the group nodded in agreement before they each prepared to head off to the area that they were in charge of.

It was like this year after year for them. They were known as Santa’s little angels who would always help to deliver the presents. He used to do it on his own but with the population boom, he found himself unable to cope so he decided to select a chosen few who would help to deliver the presents every year.

All year round Santa would read all the letters that were sent to him and would prepare the presents so that come Christmas Eve, they will be ready and delivered to all the recipients. Santa would select a few senders with special needs, usually orphanages or children with disabilities where he would personally go to deliver to them their presents.    

How the six of them determine where to deliver was through drawing different colored sticks in a jar with each color representing a different continent. Therefore this year list was as follows:

Asia - Taehyun

China & India - Seungyoon

Europe – Bom

Middle East – Minzy

America & Canada – Hanbin

Australia & New Zealand – Bobby

When the clock struck promptly at 9pm, each of them set off for their own destinations. Taehyun decided to move to the furthest Asian country before moving up and finally ending in South Korea.  

“I am done and going over to Seungyoon’s…” Bobby voice sounded through Taehyun’s headphones one hour into the delivery at 10pm.

“That was fast… I think you have broken last year’s record…” Minzy commented.

“Well, it is not my fault that there are more sheep in New Zealand than people.”

Taehyun could not help but to laugh as he pictured Bobby with his eye rolling. Taehyun continued along his list, dropping the presents at each household as he went along his way.

He reached Korea at 11pm that was just nice on target to deliver the last batch of gifts before returning to headquarters. Off and on the remaining members reported their status. Taehyun figured that by 11.30pm he will be done.

Taehyun reached the last house at precisely 11.25pm to deliver the last gift.

“Right on schedule. Deliver this and I will be back even before you all can even say Hey.” Taehyun muttered through the walkie talkie as he let himself quietly inside.

“Great come back soon so we can have eggnog together.” Bom muttered.

“Sure. I could really use a cup of eggnog right now.” Taehyun answered as he headed towards the small little Christmas tree.

Taehyun opened his sack to dig for the last present but was met with an empty bag.

There was definitely something not right…

“This is not right… The numbers tallied with my list.” Taehyun muttered, trying not to panic as he felt his bag to see if there was a hole somewhere but he felt none.

“Oh …” Taehyun muttered. The thought of someone not getting his present for Christmas was eating Taehyun with guilt.

Suddenly, the lights to the apartment came on and Taehyun was face to face with a guy looking curiously at him.

“What are you doing here in my apartment? I made sure my doors were locked.” The stranger had a deep voice and looked imposing with his dark outfit of a black thick hoodie, black skinny jeans and black boots. Even his facial features were that of darkness with his tanned face, dark eyebrows and hair.

“Well… Ermmm… I…” Taehyun panicked unable to formulate a proper answer to his question. 

The stranger’s dark eyes drifted towards that sack that Taehyun was holding.

“Are you here to deliver my Christmas gift? Where is it? You can just hand it over to me.”

“Well about that… There has been a slight situation…” Taehyun tried to explain while trying to come up with a reason to stall.

“You mean there is none left for me?” The stranger asked again. This time going over to where Taehyun stood to take the bag from him so he could look for it.

“I am sure it is somewhere...” Taehyun explained rather lamely.

“It is empty…” the stranger muttered sadly.

“Well... I just need to re-trace my steps and I am sure I will be able to find it.”

“Can I take a look at your list?”” The stranger asked before holding a hand out for Taehyun’s list.

Taehyun handed the scroll to him silently.

“My name is here. Song Minho but there is no gift for me. So I won’t be getting my gift right before Christmas. This will not do.” The stranger continued to look sad as he handed back the long scroll containing all the recipients that Taehyun was suppose to deliver presents to.

“I will be back before midnight. I promise.” Taehyun muttered. He will quickly go prepare a gift from the reserve stash back at the headquarters.

Of course, it went without saying that this Song Minho would hear none of his suggestions.

“I am sad that I got left out. You need to stay with me until Christmas is over so I can get over my disappointment.” Minho continued without a change in his expression.

“But…” Taehyun muttered exasperatedly.

“I am sad… So sad...” Mino said with a sad expression that reminded Taehyun of a puppy.

OH GOD… WHY?!?! THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE!!

Well, it was not like he had a choice with the time being 11.45pm. Taehyun knew he might not make it back to the stranger’s place in time for Christmas. 

“Fine, I will stay. But let me make a call first.” Taehyun muttered before he took out his cell phone.

Taehyun made a call back to headquarters and immediately Seungyoon picked up.

“Hey, where are you? I just got back. You are on speaker right now. The others are wondering where you are…”

“I have a little situation… I need to stay behind to do customer service recovery…” Taehyun explained.

“Oh, I thought you checked you list?”  Minzy asked.

“I was 100% sure I got the right number but when I reached the last house, my bag was empty. So I guess service recovery is needed.”

“Okay then, keep us updated periodically. It looks like you won’t be back to join us for the countdown to Christmas.” Bom muttered sadly.

“Don’t worry, I will be back tomorrow.” Taehyun reassured his friends.

Taehyun hung up the call before he went back inside where Minho was seated on the couch waiting.

“I have an extra room so you could sleep there for the night,” Mino said.

“Thank you. I am really sorry again.” Taehyun apologized.

“It is okay… You are here until Christmas is over so I guess it will take the disappointment off.” Minho answered easily.

“I am sorry but I still don’t know your name. From the list you have, I am Song Minho or Mino for short.” Mino said as he held out a hand.

“It is Nam Taehyun. It is nice to meet you.” Taehyun offered a small smile before he took Minho’s and gave it a little shake.

“Do you always have missing presents?” Mino asked curiously as he led Taehyun to where the extra room was.

“No, it has never happen to me before. We have prepared extras but we never needed to use them. This is my first time. I swore I checked my list correctly.” Taehyun muttered sadly.

“Well, it was a long list so you might have missed out. Anyways, you are here to spend Christmas with me. I am not disappointed. Here is your room. Good night, Nam Taehyun.”

“I am sorry again. Good night, Minho.” Taehyun answered before he padded into the extra room with a heavy heart.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun woke up to a quiet household and in fact, he woke up pretty early. Usually, Taehyun and the rest will sleep until midday since they will usually be up all night celebrating and indulging on eggnog and log cakes.

However, things were definitely different for him this year.

Taehyun got up quietly and headed for the bathroom in his room to freshen up. Since he was still wearing his red Christmas clothes and hat, he just tidied up the wrinkles and straightened out his clothes before he headed out.

“Good morning. Merry Christmas, Minho.” Taehyun automatically greeted when he saw Mino at the dining table waiting for him with breakfast.

“Good morning and merry Christmas to you too. No need to be so formal, friends call me Mino ” Mino smiled warmly.

They ate their breakfast in silence before Minho spoke up again just as Taehyun was about to finish his food.

“Let’s go get the turkey and stuffing. Since there are two of us, we can prepare a Christmas meal.” Mino suggested with a smile.

“Sure, no problem. I know some good recipes for stuffing.” Taehyun smiled enthusiastically, might as well be doing a good job for the customer recovery.

“Great plus you need to get clothes so we can get them all together.”

“Wait, I don’t need new clothes. I can just wear this until I go back tonight when Christmas is over.” Taehyun furrowed his brows at Mino’s words.

Why did he even need to get new clothes?

“Taehyun, Christmas is not over tonight. There are 12 days to Christmas remember? I am sure you would not want to wear the same set for the entire 12 days…” Mino answered as a matter of factly.

“WHAT?! You cannot be serious?!” Taehyun exclaimed with shock.

“What? I did say till Christmas is over… you of all people should know that there are 12 days to Christmas…” Mino looked confused that Taehyun  did not know.

“I cannot you believe you meant literally all the 12 days of Christmas… You are kidding right?” Taehyun muttered exasperatedly.

“I am totally serious.”

Taehyun could only blink his eyes as he looked dumbly at the guy that sitting across from him.

Looks like I have no choice but to agree to his terms then… Good customer service, Nam Taehyun… all in the name of good customer service…

“Okay then.” Taehyun finally agreed trying his hardest not to sigh out loud.   

“I have a set clothes you could borrow first. I am sure you do not want to go out looking like Santa.” Mino muttered.

“Thank you.” Taehyun replied gratefully.

Surprisingly, Mino’s clothes fitted Taehyun pretty well. The guy figured their build might have been similar despite the slight difference in their height.

The ride to the nearest mall was done in complete silence because they just knew each other for less than a day and they did really know what they should be talking about. Taehyun spend the time staring out of the window, watching scenes of Seoul whizzed pass him.

Mino tried to focus on the road but he could not but to glance at the person sitting him from time to time. He was silent all the way just looking out at the window. Somewhere along, Minho decided to turn on the car radio so that it did not feel so quiet.

Taehyun must have welcomed the little distraction because he started to nod his head and hummed along to the tunes drifting out from the stereo.

They continued like this all the way to their destination.

~~~~~~~~~~

*Bom created group “Santa’s angels”*

*Bom added Seungyoon*

*Bom added Minzy*

*Bom added Taehyun*

*Bom added Bobby*

*Bom added Hanbin*

Bom : TAEHYUNIE!! ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!

Taehyun : Yes I still am… Very much alive and kicking

Minzy : You are coming back later right?

Taehyun : There is a delay guys… My service recovery will take slightly longer than usual… T_T

Bom : How LONG is long?

Taehyun : 12 Days…

Hanbin : 12 DAYS?!?! WHO THE HELL STILL CELEBRATES ALL THE 12 DAYS OF X’MAS?!?!

Minzy : A mental person of course…. Well, Father Christmas was also worried too but he understands if you need more time…

Bobby : Stay safe okay? Contact us if anything goes wrong

Seungyoon :  Yes we will be waiting for you… update periodically so that we know you are alive…

Taehyun : I know… *sigh*Will check back with you all again…

Bom : Cheer up! Taehyun-ah… if this Song Minho is cute then why not… At least you have an eye candy with you for the entire 12 days… All will not be lost…

Bobby : Yah! Is cute guys all you care about?

Bom : No harm with eye candy and it will be a motivator to our Taehyunie… >o<

Minzy : I agree with Unnie here…

Hanbin : So is he cute?

Taehyun : Not bad looking… He looks cuter now that I am looking at him in the daytime then last night when it was all dark…

Seungyoon : OOOOHHHH…. Lucky you…

Bobby : Just enjoy yourself… since there is nothing to lose…

Taehyun : Why do I even have friends like you all…

Bobby :  Because you love us too much..

*Taehyun left*

*Bom added Taehyun*

Seungyoon : HAHAHAHAHAHA

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun looked at his cell phone in disgust before he slipped back into his pocket and continued to walk around the clothing store.  He just grabbed the cheapest stuff that was on sale plus a set of sleeping attire.

“You are done?” Mino asked as he saw the clothes that Taehyun carried as they headed towards the cashier counter.

“Yup, I don’t need much. I can always so the laundry at your place…” Taehyun answered.

“You do have a point there.” Mino answered easily.

They headed together to the crowded supermarket at the basement level where they would begin their fight for ingredients. In the end, the managed to fight for a small turkey, the ingredients for the stuffing  and another small Christmas pudding as dessert before they made their way back to Minho’s home.

“Why are you spending Christmas alone? Why don’t you spend it with your family?” Taehyun asked as they carried the stuff they bought into Mino’s home.

“Well, it is my first year on my own. I cannot stand going home for family dinners. I don’t have a particular good relationship with them.” Mino answered coolly.

“Oh I see… “Taehyun nodded as he listened.

“Well, I felt that I don’t have to see them when all they do is tell me in their own little way what a failure I am for not doing the career that they feel I should be doing.” Mino explained as he took out the turkey to prepare.

“I know…  Your family came from a line of teachers and you are a comic strip artist.” Taehyun nodded.

“So how did you end up helping Santa?” Mino asked as he shifted to focus back to Taehyun.

“I don’t remember anything much all I know was that one day he appeared before me and told me I one of the chosen ones to help him. We are a team of 6 and we just help him year after year after year.” Taehyun explained.

“Don’t you go out or have friends or wonder about your past?” Mino was curious. In fact, this Nam Taehyun intrigued him.

“No not at all… We are busy all year…” Taehyun answered innocently as he prepared the stuffing.

They worked in silence after that but Mino’s words could not help but to struck a chord with Taehyun. He did not thought much about his past but somehow from the way Minho asked him about it, it made Taehyun want to know as well.   However, all he could come up with was just blanks.

Why don’t I have memories of my life before?

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino found his house guest really peculiar because Taehyun would leave very early in the morning after breakfast and would not come back until it was after 9pm. This went on for until New Year ’s Eve before Mino could not take it and decided to follow the guy discreetly.

After all, he knew that Taehyun did not have any friends and he got a good feeling that Taehyun was lying when he said that he was meeting with his group of helpers because the guy was looking at everywhere else but Minho.

“Seriously, where do you think you are going?” Mino muttered exasperatedly to himself as he saw Taehyun the path that led to the park.

Mino saw the guy find an empty bench and sat down staring at nothing in particular which
Mino did not give much of a thought until when he came back 3 hours later and realized that Taehyun was still sitting at the same spot so he decided to walking quietly to the guy before sitting down beside him.

“Don’t you feel cold sitting out here all by yourself?” Mino asked as though it was usual for him to be in a park.

“Why are you…” Taehyun trailed out as he was shocked that Mino actually followed him out.

“It is New Year’s Eve, what are you doing out here all alone in the blistering cold?”

Taehyun said nothing except to look down at his hands, too embarrassed to say anything else.

“I must be a pretty bad company that you need to come out to the park for the whole day just so that you do not have to face me.”

“No it is not… I…” Taehyun tried his best to explain but Mino only smiled.

“Come on it is cold out. Let’s go back where it is all nice and warm. It is not good to spend New Year’s Eve all alone.”

“Did you hear that?” Taehyun said the moment he stood up.

“Hear what? What am I supposed to hear?” Mino asked as he looked around, trying to find if there was something unusual with his surroundings.

“I heard a cat.” Taehyun replied before he began walking in another direction.

“Are you sure? What if it is wrong?”

“But if it is true that it will left all out in this blistering cold… it will die.” Taehyun muttered worriedly.

“Fine, let’s us go find the cat.”

Together, they set off towards the general direction that Taehyun pointed where he heard the sounds. Soon enough, they spotted a discarded cardboard box under a huge tree and true enough like Taehyun mentioned was a little black kitten inside meowing pitifully and shivering with the cold. They did not even hesitate to pick up the box and carried the cat all the way home.

Taehyun immediately found another dry box that he used to make it comfy for the cat before setting up the kitten by the fireplace so that he would be able to warm up its body temperature.  They took turns bottle feeding the poor little creature until it finally fell asleep with a full belly much to the relief of both men…

It was then Mino realized that people were starting to countdown to the New Year. He looked to the guy that was seated beside him totally focused and engrossed with the cat.

10, 9, 8, 7…

Mino noticed how smooth and pale Taehyun’s skin was as though he did not go out into the sun much.

6, 5, 4…

“Taehyun-ah…” Mino called out softly which Taehyun turned almost immediately but was surprised to see Mino’s face close to his.

“Yes?”

3, 2, 1!!

Happy New Year!!!

“Happy new year, angel.” Mino whispered before he leaned forward to kiss Taehyun on the lips.

It was as though the world seem to have stopped for Taehyun. There was nothing between him and Mino. It was just the two of them together savoring the moment.  His eyes could not help but to flutter close at the contact and felt his cheeks slowly heating up.

Mino did not know what came over him but he figured it might be the light that played on Taehyun’s delicate features that reeled him in. Taehyun’s lips were definitely softer than his own as they pressed against his. He was reluctant to pull away but he knew he had to so with much regret, Mino broke the contact. He could not help but to feel proud at the sight of a flustered and slightly pink Taehyun.

“Happy New Year to you too, Minho.” Taehyun replied before he rushed off to his room that Mino could not help but to let a soft chuckle.

~~~~~~~~~~

Every angel helping Santa had a sad story.

One might think that Santa chose his helpers because they have been good however it is pretty much the direct opposite. Santa’s angels were actually made of people who had no more hope or purpose in their lives. People who seem to have reached the end with nowhere else to go.

Santa decided to select a special few to give them a second chance. He hoped that by becoming his helpers, his angels were able to find their purpose in life again. He wiped out each of their memories of their past so that they can find their purpose in life again, for however long that might be…

~~~~~~~~~~

 After their little New Year’s kiss, Taehyun did not avoid Mino like he used to for the first seven days anymore. In fact, he was more open with his feelings and just enjoyed the remaining time that he had in Mino’s home and in Mino’s own company. Taehyun let himself be dragged out by Mino to an ice skating rink where they fooled around after futile attempts to teach Mino proper ice skating.

Mino then showed off some of his comic works to Taehyun who was fascinated by the various strips that Mino drew for newspapers. He was also interested in the process that Mino was doing as he was planning to get his comic book published.

Four days left before the end of Christmas…

~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Mino decided that they should a little short three days two nights trip out to Busan since it had definitely been a while since he was back in his hometown before he moved over to Seoul.  They went early to the train station to catch the morning train out. Taehyun was excited since it was the first time he was riding a speed train.

They went to the famous seafood market to have a look at the daily catch and sample a few of the items that were totally beyond what they would see normally at their own local markets. They then went over to Haeundae beach to enjoy the cold winter sea breeze while getting terrorized by the numerous seagulls that flocked the area.                       

They acted with a natural affection for each other throughout the trip. Hand holding, feeding food to each other or random light teasing seemed to flow out naturally and neither guy minded one bit. It was like the little kiss they shared opened up some hidden door of affection that each held for the other person. Mino liked the way they felt at ease with each other.

However, despite the lightness, Mino still got the feeling that Taehyun must have felt the deadline to their little arrangement getting closer and closer to the end because it looked as though Taehyun was enjoying himself however when he felt that Mino was not paying attention to him, Taehyun would look a little quiet and pensive.

Mino wondered if he would see Taehyun ever again after this…

~~~~~~~~~~

It was finally the twelfth day of Christmas.

It was also known as Epiphany day to Christians, celebrating the visit of the three kings or wise men to the Christ Child, signifying the extension of salvation to the Gentiles.

To Taehyun, it meant his last day with Mino.

Typically a ‘Feast of Epiphany’ will take place on this day. Using his weird sense of humor, Mino cooked up a storm since early afternoon, his own version of the ‘Feast of Epiphany’.

They had avoided the topic of separation for as long as they could but this was the end, or nearing it. When the clock strikes midnight later, it will happen then. Both of them tried to behave as normal as possible, after the late lunch that he made they curled themselves on his couch watching films, turning the heater to its highest as temperatures go below zero outside.

“Angel Taehyun…” Mino pulled the guy seated beside him close, smelling the shampoo that he bought specially for Taehyun.

“Do you know what I wrote as a present that I wanted in my letter to Santa?”

“Hmm? What?” Taehyun murmured, holding him tighter, as if trying to carve the feel of it into his memory.

“I told him that I wanted an angel this Christmas.”

Mino chuckled at the memory before continuing on.

“I think you did not lose my present. You are my present in fact.”

They sat together, hands intertwined.

“I think I love you.” Mino told him, clearly articulating every single word so that there was no misunderstanding to what he was saying.

Taehyun kept quiet, doing nothing except to hug him with all his might, eventually wetting his sweatshirt with his tears.

Mino woke up to a dark living room, so similar to the surrounding just twelve nights ago. He never once realize that he had fallen asleep, the first thing he did was to call out for him. “Taehyun?”

His sweatshirt still smelled like the light refreshing scent that he associated with the angel, as if Taehyun was still leaning there just a few moments ago.

A note swooshed and landed on his lap.

“I love you too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

One year later

It was Christmas night.

Mino made sure to unlock all his windows in case his clumsy angel decided to return to his house.

One year ago, Mino met him and fell in love with him after making him promise to stay with him throughout the whole twelve days of Christmas.

Since the day the angel left, he wrote a letter to Santa Claus every day, sometimes talking about what he did for the day and other times about random things he encountered.

No matter what he wrote, it always ended with the same thing.

‘Can I have my angel forever this time?’

Even though he was celebrating Christmas alone again, he made sure he celebrated it well. He whipped up a simple Christmas dinner for two, leaving the leftover portion covered and placed it on his dining table.

For the first time he prepared presents too, his little tree was almost obscured by the amount of presents all around. Gifts that he bought whenever something reminded him of his cute little angel.

He changed into a new set of clothes just before 11pm and watched the special program that were showing on television.

Three minutes before the clock struck midnight, someone knocked on his door.

With apprehensive hands Mino turned the knob open...

A man was standing there in denim jeans and a white knitted sweater, both his hands held in front of him as he blew hot air onto them.

“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Nam Taehyun, nice to meet you… again. Am I late?”