Distance

My First Love; Fifteen

 

 

 

One week passed since the Sports day. The whole school now knows that they are a couple. Everyone was sad when Gyujin was taken. And as for boys, they were sad too because the prettiest girl in school is no longer available.

And so do you.

Chungha never comes to have lunch nor walking back to home with you anymore. Gyujin is not in the same class as you so you only met him at the club only.

"Hey, heard you got a girl?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Chungha."

You saw he smiled from ear to ear. How happy was him to be in a relationship?

"So...that flower is for her, huh?" You asked while painted your canvas. You guys have a club activity today, and as usual, you and Gyujin seat next to each other while painting your task.

Gyujin nodded. The smile never left him this whole time. He was holding the brush paint. He seems like he was thinking about something else. Sometimes he chuckled. Sometimes he blushed.

You can't deny that you feel hurt without realizing you stained his white uniform.

"Gosh!" Gyujin screamed.

"Sorry." You uttered. That's when you realized you were doing something stupid. *Why did I do that?*

Gyujin sighed and smiled. "It's okay. I'm going to wash for a while."

 

 

After 15 minutes, Gyujin still did not come back to the club. You took some paper tissues just in case if he needs and steps out from the club to find him.

He was seating there on the bench while letting his uniform dry under the sun. Luckily he wore another t-shirt inside so he easily can take off the uniform.

"Here." You handed the tissues.

Gyujin looked up to you. "It's okay."

"It's better than nothing. And this will be much easier to let them dry." You were about to take his uniform that was hanged on top of the bench beside him but suddenly a hand grabs it.

"Long time no see Sophie."

You saw Chungha with tissue on her left hand while holding Gyujin's uniform on the right hand.

"Chungha."

Chungha takes a seat next to Gyujin while you stood there blankly.

"I got the tissues. Let me wipes for you." Chungha said it sweetly to Gyujin and he nodded in to agree. To men, it sounds like a very sweet girlfriend trying to take care of her boyfriend, but to women, it's warning 'don't touch my man'.

A very clear warning has been sent out.

"Oh, Sophie, you know her right? This is Chungha."

You nodded. "Yes, we always had lunch and went back home together."

Chungha placed both her hands together. "Ah, sorry Sophie, but lately I can't go back home with you or lunch together anymore. Since Gyujin and I are couples now."

She expressed her sorry towards you.

You forced a smiled. "It's okay Chungha. I wish you guys have a long-lasting happy ending."

And with that, you walked back to the club, grabbed your bag and ran home.

Your mom was at the front house saw you while she was talking to another neighbour who was gossiping with her. "Hi sweetie, welcome back-"

She blinked a few times. "Ah, sorry. My daughter perhaps had a stomachache." She bowed to her gossip partner which is also your neighbour.

"She's a grown-up woman now." The neighbour eyed you from behind. Her eyes scanning your body, searching for a perfect curve. *Her too small. It will be hard for her to bear my grandchildren. I need a big- woman for my son.*

"Where were we just now?" Your mom asked and they continued their chit-chat.

 

 

 

The next day, the advisor for the club told that the club is going to participate in the national drawing contest. You asked Gyujin if he wants to be in your team. Gyujin shook

"I'm...urm, already in someone else group." He scratched the back of his head.

You stupefy for a moment.

"Sorry." Gyujin feels bad because of you guys always in the same group. This is the first time he rejected you.

"It's okay." You patted his shoulder.

After two hours of explanation of the contest and discussion in the group for briefing the ideas, finally, it's time to go home.

"Hey, Gyujin, what kind of theme will your team go for?" You jogged to his side while zipped the mouth of your bag.

"Something nature."  Gyujin took out his phone while start messaging someone.

"Oh, I'm thinking about nature too. But I'm not sure whether to use the waterfall or river. What do you think?" You asked for an opinion from him. Gyujin good at this kind of things in your head told you.

"Maybe both."

You saw he was busy looking at his phone. "Hey, do you want to go to the shop? I heard they just restock the colours. Let's go and check it out?"

"Hmm, okay." Gyujin mumbled.

"So, can we go today?" You want to take a peek at his phone but Gyujin was too tall. 

"Babe."

Both of you looked up.

*Babe?* You wondered but then you saw Chungha.

Chungha ran towards Gyujin and he caught her in his embrace.

"I miss you." Chungha while tiptoed to his height.

"We just met during lunch and you already miss me?" Gyujin kissed the top of her head.

"Let's go! You promised me a date today, right?" Chungha begged him with her puppy eyes.

Gyujin laughed at his girlfriend acting. "Let's go, my princess."

And with that, you were once forgotten that you were there.

 

 

 

That night, your brother asked you to join the dinner. But you refused and even locked yourself in your room.

We can no longer be friends anymore.

That was the last message from Gyujin. And since then, he never replied to your messages anymore nor talk to you in school. Every time there's a group project he will make sure he's in a group of boys or group without you at all. He will do anything just to avoid being together with you.

You felt helpless. Something was missing from you the moment you guys tear far apart.