of cigarettes and sleepless nights

Sleepover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Deprivation of sleep made her eyelids heavy as she took in a drag from a cigarette. She flicks it, the ash gently swaying down to the ground.

 

“Things are well I assume,” The older girl said taking a seat next to her. Dahyun just shrugs as she puts it out, the burnt end being pushed up against the bottom of her shoe.

 

“Is there something you needed?”

“Just wanted to know if you were coming tonight, my other buddies will be there.”

 

Dahyun remembers the promise she made Jeongyeon. She hums in response, her hand fiddling with the yellow lighter.

 

“I’m sure it’ll be hell of a lot better than staying home and doing nothing,” Dahyun remarks. 

The older girl smiles before ruffling Dahyun’s hair, “Alright then, see you kiddo.”

 

She reaches for another cigarette as Jeongyeon stands up. “Might want to cut down a little bit there tofu, I’ve noticed you’ve been smoking a lot more. Is there anything stressing you out?”

 

“Just this composition,” Dahyun explains, the cigarette resting between her parted lips, “Nothing more than that. “

Jeongyeon smiles at her. “You’re a great musician and composer, you’ll do well tofu. I’ll see you tonight.”

She quickly says good bye as the girl grows further and further away. 

 

 

 

Dahyun quickly takes in the surroundings of the bar. The scent of alcohol hits her nose, as expected. Jeongyeon smiled upon noticing the younger girl standing at the entrance. 

 

“Glad you made it,” The older girl says giving her a hug, leading her towards the filled table, “Friends, this is Kim Dahyun and Dahyun, these are my friends and others that you already know.”

 

She smiles at them taking a seat opposite of Nayeon, Jeongyeon’s girlfriend. She accepts the shot given to her by Momo, the alcohol smoothly going down . She looks up, her gaze meeting a pair of warm brown eyes. 

 

“Dahyun was it?”

She turns her head, a girl with a bright smile looking at her. “Yeah, Dahyun.”

 

“I’m Jihyo, I’ve heard some stuff about you from Momo,” She said. 

Dahyun just lets out a chuckle, “Well I hope they were good things.”

 

“Don’t worry, she hasn’t said a single bad thing about you,” She reassured. Dahyun just smiles, taking in the alcohol presented in front of her. A few shots and a beer later, her hand searches for the cigarettes in her pocket.

“I’ll be back,” She says quickly excusing herself to smoke outside.

 

 

She takes in a drag, the nicotine soothing her nerves as she blew out.

 

“Didn’t take you as the smoking type…”

Her gaze moves up to meet the same warm pair of brown eyes from earlier across the table.

 

“We all deceive,” She says, a faint smile tugging at her lips. The girl smiles, her dimple dipping into her cheek.

 

“Son Chaeyoung,” She introduces.

“I assume you already know me but I’ll say it again, Kim Dahyun.”

 

“You go to Seoul Arts University don’t you?”

She hums in response, her thumb flicking away the ash.

 

“I’m a fan of your music.”

A smile adorns her lips once she recognizes the girl, “Don't think I don't know you either, I admire all your art.”

The girl’s cheeks heat up.

 

“Jeongyeon unnie takes me to the art exhibits around school, saw you two talking to each other,” Dahyun explained before taking in another long drag, her eyes on her watch, “Time to go.”

 

“No good bye?” Chaeyoung questioned.

 

Dahyun just chuckles, the cigarette crushed under her foot. “Why waste time saying good bye? It’s just the beginning, it’s our time to say hello to each other. Tell Jeongyeon unnie I went home, I’ll see you around school Son Chaeyoung.”

*

Her fingers glide across the white keys, beautiful music being played by the girl. She furrows her eyebrows as the piano echoes when she finishes. It doesn’t feel like enough, it doesn’t feel complete. She lets out a sigh.

 

“Stumped?”

She turns to see Momo entering the room, her jacket lazily slung over her shoulder.

 

“I don’t see how they think I can pull a piece right out of my ,” She complained. “It’s ridiculous.”

 

“Well, what do you expect being such a prestigious musician?” Momo asks sitting in one of the free chairs, “So you and that Chaeyoung girl.”

Dahyun lifts an eyebrow, “What about it?”

 

“I don’t know it’s not your typical day when the prestigious artist and musician come together,” She remarked, “And suddenly start talking.”

 

“Don’t put me up on such a pedestal,” Dahyun says, “And we just talked once, nothing special behind that is there?”

Momo shakes her head. “Just wondering about it, curiosity can go a long way.”

Dahyun hums in response as she gently closes the piano. 

 

“Have you seen her at all?”

“Yeah, I’m supposed to hang out with her and Jeongyeon right now, they’re making their way here,” She said, taking note of the sudden question, “Seems like someone is interested in the prestigious artist.”
 

Dahyun just chuckles, a faint smile painted onto her lips, “How could I possibly like someone after talking to them briefly?"

 

“I’m just teasing kid,” Momo says, pulling her phone out of her pocket, “They said they’re here, you on your way out?”

Dahyun nods as she picked up the sheet music, going towards the door.

 

“Why don’t you come along?” Momo asks as they walk out of the building, “The more the merrier.”

 

“Maybe another time,” She says sticking a cigarette between her lips, “I’ve got some music to finish writing.”

 

“Was that Dahyun?” Jeongyeon asks. Chaeyoung’s eyes light up at the older girl’s name.

 

“Yeah, she has to finish writing,” Momo says, “Probably going to the studio, spend the entire night up.”

“When we’re done let’s get some food,” Jeongyeon says, “Knowing her, she probably hasn’t eaten in a while.”

 

*

 

They pull up to a studio to see Dahyun smoking out front.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” She asks. Momo lifts up the bags of food slung on her arm, “Making sure you’re not dead.”

 

Dahyun lets out a soft chuckle. “Go in, I’ll be there in a few minutes,” She says. Chaeyoung stops in front of the older girl, her gaze fixed on Dahyun's face. 

 

“Making sure I’m not dead too?” Dahyun asks, a faint smile on her lips.

“Yes and you seem very alive.”

The older girl lets out another chuckle. “Go inside, wouldn’t want you getting cold now.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles as she enters the studio. She sits down on the black leather couch as Momo and Jeongyeon set up everything on the small coffee table set in center of the room. She takes in the dark blue walls of the studio, an assortment of instruments sitting in the next room which she assumed to be the recording booth. 

 

“This is her studio?” Chaeyoung asks.

“Yep,” Jeongyeon says, “Proud owner of her own grand studio.”

 

Dahyun walks in, her hands rubbing together for warmth, “You guys start eating first. I’ll be done in a few minutes.”

She walks into the recording booth, closing the door behind her.

 

“Does she come here a lot?”

“It’s basically her second house. She’s sometimes here for hours when inspiration strikes or when she has an assignment like this,” Momo explains grabbing a pair of chopsticks, “Usually spends nights up trying to finish whatever needs to be finished.”

 

Dahyun comes back out a few minutes later, a smile on her face, “So what did you guys bring?”

 

After feasting, Momo and Jeongyeon leave first due to personal reasons. Chaeyoung decides to stay behind, curious of what lay behind Kim Dahyun. 

 

“So, your own studio," Chaeyoung comments. 

“My pride and joy,” Dahyun says with a smile on her face, plopping down next to the younger girl. She shifts her head to look at Chaeyoung, “So this is how I see you again Son Chaeyoung, in my own little sanctuary. You know, you add a charm to this place that I never knew was needed.”

 

“Quite the cheesy one, aren’t you?”

 

“I guess I am,” She says.

Her mind shifts gears as thoughts flooded her head.

 

“Son Chaeyoung,” She mutters. “How come I’ve never come across you at school?”

 

“I’d ask you the same but I guess the stars just didn’t align,” She says, a teasing smile on her lips, “You know what they say about star crossed lovers.”

 

“I guess you’re right about that too," She says, a soft chuckle following after. 

 

 

Silence blankets their conversation (it was everything but awkward, it was oddly comforting).

“Think I’ll just call you Chaeyoung now,” Dahyun says breaking the silence, “You know, dropping these formalities.”

“Then I guess I’ll call you Dahyun unnie, more of unnie.”

 

Dahyun smiles, “It’s a deal then.” 

She studies the younger girl's facial features (the lights at the bar did her no justice).

 

“You know, I was serious about you adding some unknown charm to this studio,” Dahyun commented, “Makes it feel…warmer.”

 

She notices the younger girl’s cheeks turn a light shade of pink. 

"God, did you eat like ten cheese platters?" Chaeyoung teases, "You're just oozing with cheesiness." 

 

The older girl laughs, a sound that makes the end of her lips curl up into a shy smile. 

"I'm just stating the facts here." Dahyun picks up her carkeys on the desk, "I'm assuming you'll need a ride."

 

Chaeyoung just nods as she follows her out, the older girl locking up the studio. Radio Head began playing as soon as she started her car. 

 

“Do you not like Radio Head?” Dahyun asks once she notices the younger girl looking at her, “I can change it if you want.”

 

“N-no, it’s not that,” Chaeyoung sputters out. “It’s just not what I expected you to listen to.”

Dahyun lets out a soft chuckle, “Like I said before, we all deceive.”

 

 

She pulls to a stop in front of the apartment complex.

“Your stop,” Dahyun announces.

 

“Thank you for the ride,” Chaeyoung says. 

 

“If you need anything, just let me know,” Dahyun says with a small smile on her face.

“Oh and how will I reach you?”

 

“Just flash the batman symbol in the sky, I’ll be there.”

The younger girl softly hits Dahyun’s arm, their laughter filling the car. “No, here I’ll give you my number.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter