Home

Sleepover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time she saw her was at night from her bedroom window, a mysterious girl strolled through the woods with light footsteps. Her curiosity took the best of her (the girl but a mere child).

“Chaeyoung, what are you still doing up?”

 

“Daddy look, there’s a little girl out there too,” The young girl pointed out, “What if she’s lost?”

A ghost of a smile reflected off her father’s lips, “Don’t worry about her Chaeyoung-ah she’ll find her way back home. Now sleep, your cousins are coming over tomorrow.”

 

With a light heart, she went to bed, excited for tomorrow to come.

And as she slept, the little girl disappeared further into the woods.

 

 

The house was filled with loud sounds of children playing. Chaeyoung sprinted downstairs before hiding behind her mother’s legs.

 

“Found you!” Nayeon yelled dragging Chaeyoung away.

 

“Hey that’s not fair!” Jihyo shouted, “You cheated unnie.”

“Did not.”

“Did too.”

 

“Kids, why don’t you play outside?” Chaeyoung’s father suggested before their argument escalated. Their eyes lit up, the three girls all rushing outside.

 

“Wait up!” Chaeyoung shouted, struggling to keep up with the two older girls. She stepped on her shoe lace, the younger girl crashing forward onto the ground. She slowly sat up, her eyes b with tears. It was then that she realized that she was lost, tears finally streaming down the child’s cheeks.

 

“Nayeon unnie? Jihyo unnie? Where are you?” She brought her knees closer to her chest, the girl balling up as she cried.

 

“Hey,” a soft voice called out. She slightly jumped at the sound of the voice, the girl whipping her head to the right to see a girl shyly hiding behind a tree.  With her right hand she pointed towards Chaeyoung’s left, “They’re over there.”

 

The girl slowly got up, making her way out of the woods. She saw her two cousins crossing a stream. Jihyo was the first to notice, the older girl running towards her, “There you are! We were starting to worry.”

 

Chaeyoung turned back to see if the girl followed her but saw nobody. “Come on Chaeyoung, while the sun is still up!” She decided she’d thank her if she ever saw her again (which she hoped she did).

 

 

The moon shined brightly, the girl admiring the night sky from the tent she set up in her backyard (camping is what she called it). She heard light footsteps slowly approaching her. Her gaze met the one’s of the girl she’s been looking for, her eyes wide and alert like a doe.

 

“Hi,” Chaeyoung greeted.

“Hi,” She echoed.

 

“Thank you for helping me last time,” She said, “I would’ve still been lost if not for you.”

“Oh uh…it was nothing,” The girl said sheepishly. Chaeyoung came out of her little tent and stood in front of her.

 

“I’m Chaeyoung,” She said.

“Dahyun…”

 

“Would you like to join me?”

Dahyun looked up at the moon, a faint smile on her lips. Maybe it would be nice to sit down and chat, “Yes, yes I would.”

 

After an hour Chaeyoung’s mother called her from the kitchen to finally come in for bed. The younger girl complied, folding up the tent before turning to the older girl, “Aren’t you afraid of what’s in the woods?”

 

“No, I take the right routes,” Dahyun reassured, “I’ll get home safely so you sleep well tonight, and then tomorrow we’ll see what it’ll bring.”

Chaeyoung smiled, “Good night unnie, I’ll see you.”

 

Dahyun watched as the younger girl ran to the door, turning to wave before heading inside. With the stars as her guide, she slowly descended into the woods, her heart and mind at peace.

 

*

 

She found out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter