Prologue: Déjà vu

Heaven Sent

 

RING! RING! RING!

Your cellphone goes ringing for someone is calling you.

“Ugghh… Who the heck is calling me at this hour?” you said to yourself while reaching for your phone at your bedside table.

“Hello? *Yawn*”, you said sleepily. “Who is this?”

“Who is this is?!” shouted someone at the other end of the line, who turned out to be your classmate and close friend, Namjoo. “Gosh ___! Don’t you know what time is it already? We’re gonna be late for school!”

Her shout awakened you and you looked at the alarm clock at your bedside table.

7:20 AM

“Oh, !” you shouted.

“Yeah, men. . Really ”, Namjoo said. “Get your here in our usual meet-up place in ten minutes or else I’m gonna kill you”, Namjoo said angrily.

“Okay. Got it. I’ll be there in ten minutes. Bye!”

You hurriedly get up from your bed, took a shower and dressed up in your school uniform.

‘Oh when will I ever hear the alarm?’ you thought to yourself while putting all your things in your bag. You ran downstairs and grabbed two slices of bread and began eating it rapidly.

*Cough! Cough! Cough!*

You almost choked yourself for eating the bread too fast. You gulped down the glass of fresh milk and brushed your teeth. Just when you were about to leave the house, you remember your digital camera. You love taking pictures and bringing your camera to school is a must for you.

“Oh! My camera!” you said and ran back to your room, as fast as you can. You grab the digital camera on your study table and ran downstairs.

When you were about to close the gate of your house, a strong wind began blowing and the ground began shaking a bit. You remembered something like this has happened before. You look up to the sky to see if a meteor was going to fall down but there’s nothing in sight.

Just then you realize you have to go now. “Oh my, Namjoo’s gonna kill me.”

You ran as fast as you can and started dialing Namjoo’s number.

“Hello ______?” Namjoo said.

“Namjoo, please just go on without me. I don’t want you to be late”, you said while running.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, yes. See you later in school! Bye!” you said and hanged up.

Namjoo just sighed and left the waiting shed.

While running on your way to school, you saw Park Bom opening up her salon.

“Ne, B-Bom-unnie, can I borrow your bike?” you asked, panting. “I’m going to be late for school if I just run all the way there.”

“Oh ______! Good morning! Is that so? Sure! Here it is”, Bom said as she handed you her bike.

“Thanks a lot Bom-unnie! You will be blessed today! I’ll return it this afternoon”, you said and started pedaling.

“No problem. Take care!”

You started pedaling the bike as fast as you can almost hitting a person crossing the street. You arrived at your school six minutes before eight. The student council is almost closing the gate so you started pedaling faster. You made it just in time. You parked Bom’s bike and started running as fast as you can to your classroom. You arrive at the same time as your teacher and entered after him.

‘Whew, still not late’, you thought. ‘Why is it I have a feeling that this same thing has happened to me before?’

You sat at the desk beside Namjoo. Namjoo rolled her eyes and gave you a “when-are-you-not-gonna-be-late” look. You can even hear her go “tsk, tsk, tsk” inside her mind. You bowed at her slightly and whispered ‘mianhae’.

Your teacher told the class to keep it down and sit on your respective seats.

“It’s a new school year! And you know what a new school year means right?” your homeroom teacher asked.

“New assignments!” One of your classmates shouted. The class agreed and most of you slumped on your desk.

“And as for me, a new school year of trying to avoid sleeping in English class. *Sigh*”, you whispered to yourself.

“Better than that!” your teacher exclaimed happily. “New school year means new classmates!”

A lot of your classmates as well as you became interested. And there was a lot of buzzing going around the room. Your teacher faced the door and gestured to your new classmate to come in. When the girls saw that it was a guy, they became more interested and the whispers got louder. But when you saw who it was, your jaw dropped. Your teacher told your new classmate to introduce himself.

Your new classmate bowed and started introducing himself. “Good morning classmates. My name is Moon Jongup. Please take care of me.” Moon Jongup. The blonde guy with chinky eyes and muscular body riding with you in the cab.

After introducing himself, your teacher told Jongup to sit behind the vacant desk behind Namjoo. As Jongup went to his seat, he met eyes with you. You looked away. He was going to ask if you have met before but your teacher started his classes.

‘Of all people, why him?’ you thought.

Your teacher was just starting his classes when you all heard a knock on the door. Your teacher opened it to see who was knocking and saw the principal. They talked for a while and when your teacher came back in front of you, he had a big smile on his face.

“Well, I think the other vacant chair behind Ms. ___ will not be vacant anymore”, your teacher said. “Want to have another classmate?” A lot of your classmates where so excited and the boys were wishing it was a girl this time. Your teacher gestured to your new classmate to come in and the boys were disappointed to see that it was another guy.

When you saw who it was, your jaw dropped to the floor, even Namjoo. She was shaking asking you if it was him. And you were saying yes to her question. For the person in front of you and the person Namjoo was talking about are the same people. He has the same physical features the only difference is the guy in front of you has black hair. But there’s one more thing, he looks cold, not cheerful like the one you remember.

Your teacher told your new classmate to introduce his self to the crowd. Your new classmate bowed and introduced himself.

“Good morning. I’m Yang Yoseob. Nice to meet you.”