The Words I Do Not Want to Hear (Part 1)

Heaven Sent

 

Weekend passed by so easily, it was Tuesday morning and you were having your Physics lab. However, you cannot concentrate. Yoseob’s attitude after your date with Taemin last Saturday was bothering you.

‘What’s wrong with him?’ you thought. ‘He asked how my date was and I told him it was great. I told him everything but he’s just so silent. Usually when I talked about Taemin, he would talk back and insult him but this time, he’s just so quiet, and nodding to every word I say.’

Half of the day ended and it was your Art class and you were told to draw by your teacher the feeling you currently have that time. Still up to that time, you were still thinking about Yoseob’s weird behavior.

He even went to bed without me knowing and without even saying goodnight’, you thought as you doodle on the paper. ‘And, he didn’t have the usual cheerful greeting he always has when I come home last Saturday night. Arrrggghh!!! Yoseob just what is going on in your mind right now? It’s making me crazy!!’

“It is obvious in your art work Ms. ____, that you are confused right now”, your teacher said. You looked at your art work and saw nothing but weird circles and doodles. You heaved a deep sigh, crumpled your paper, threw it away and started a new artwork.

When classes ended, you and Namjoo were walking together towards the school gates when you heard Taemin called you. He came huffing and puffing.

“Ne, ___. Sorry I wasn’t able to eat lunch with you this afternoon, had some chat with my friends”, Taemin said. “Well, I just came here to invite you on my friend’s birthday this Friday night.”

You told him that you will be coming. Taemin then said goodbye and rushed off to his friends.

When you arrived home, Yoseob was there cooking dinner. You slowly approached him and shouted boo. He got surprised that he almost slipped the spoon he was holding.

“Ya! Don’t do that! We might have nothing for dinner!” Yoseob said. “And by the way welcome home!” You can tell that he was trying to make it sound cheerfully but it was not still as cheerful as compared to the usual greetings he always do.

Since Yoseob’s behavior since last Saturday was bothering you, you asked him what was wrong.

“Hmmm? Nothing really. I… was just… ah, not feeling well”, Yoseob said as he stir the kimchi soup he is making.

“You’re not good in lying aren’t you?” you said.

“___-ah, I’m telling the truth. Don’t worry about me okay?” Yoseob said ruffling your hair.

“Okay”, you said and smiled. You went to your bedroom and to fix your things and to change your clothes, leaving Yoseob alone in the kitchen.

‘I’m sorry ___, I have to lie to you. I don’t know how will you react if I’ll let you know what my true feelings are’, Yoseob said to himself. He then looked up, put his hands in a praying position and said, “And Father, please forgive me as well.”

Days passed and Friday came. You and Yoseob were getting ready for school and for work. You remembered that Taemin invited you to his friend’s birthday party.

“Ne, Yoseob-ah”, you said.

“Yes?” Yoseob said smiling.

“I will not eat dinner here tonight. Taemin invited me to his friend’s birthday party”, you said. “But I will still be coming home to change.”

Yoseob’s smile faded and he said “Okay, got it.”

You and Yoseob headed to your school and work. The day passed by fast without special happening. When classes ended, Taemin walked together with you and Namjoo.

“Um, Taemin, will it really be okay if I go to your friend’s party?” you asked looking down. “I mean, I never really met them.” You turned to look at Taemin, waiting for his answer. But you saw him chatting happily with Namjoo. Taemin then noticed you looking at them.

“Were you saying anything?” Taemin asked.

“No. Nothing, I was just whispering to myself”, you said.

You all reached the gates of your school and said goodbye to each other. Taemin told you to meet him later at the park near your school and left.

You arrived home and Yoseob was not yet coming home. It was a good thing you had a duplicate key with you. ‘He must have decided to stay late at work since I will not be here for dinner’, you thought. You went up your bedroom and change to party clothes. You were tying up your hair when you heard someone knock on the door. You hurriedly went downstairs to check it when you hit a vase causing it to shatter to pieces. A feeling of anxiety suddenly struck you but you shrugged it off. You then went to see who was knocking but saw no one when you opened the door.

‘I must be imagining things’, you thought.

You went back to your room to finish preparing the things you need. After that, you left the house and headed to the park. Taemin was there already waiting for you. He waved at you when saw you coming and you run to him. The two of you then headed to the house of Taemin’s friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Yoseob was working at Mrs. Park’s when he remembered that you will be going to some party.

‘Well, I guess I could stay here longer for today’, Yoseob said to himself. ‘ ___, will not be home and it’ll be boring.’

 

“Yoseob, more customers are coming. Please hurry up!” Mrs. Park called.

“Yup! Coming!”

Yoseob approached a table with a guy sitting alone. He took out his paper and his pen ready to ask the guy for his orders.

“Good evening sir. What’s your order?” Yoseob said cheerfully without looking at the guy for he is busy fixing his pen and paper.

“A minute with you”, the guy said. Yoseob was shocked with what the guy said and turned to look at him. His eyes popped out when he saw who the guy was.

“Doojoon-hyung!” Yoseob exclaimed. The other customers looked at him. Yoseob bowed and said sorry to the other customers.

“What are you doing here?” Yoseob asked Doojoon. “If you’re not going to order hyung, you can leave.”

“Of course, I am going to eat and I want to talk to you”, Doojoon said crossing his arms. Yoseob got his order and asked Mrs. Park if he could talk to his friend for a while. Mrs. Park agreed since Yoseob’s shift has already ended and that he’s just working since he has free time.

Yoseob placed Doojoon’s order and sat at the chair across him. “Now, what is it that you want hyung?” Yoseob asked.

Doojoon was eating his order and turned to Yoseob. “When are you really coming back. It’s been a long time you’re here. Hurry up, finish your mission and go back.”

“Yes, I know. Actually I think I should go back already since I have helped ___ in her three problems”, Yoseob said.

(A/N: Let’s see what are those problem. Family. Mom and Dad reconcile. School. You passed the retake. Love. Yoseob helped you with the chocolates making you and Taemin a couple.)

“But the last time you helped her was against your will. You didn’t even want to help her because she was going to give it to the guy she likes”, Doojoon said.

“Eh? Does that mean I have to solve another ___’s problem?” Yoseob said.

“Of course. If you won’t you won’t be able to come back”,  Doojoon said as he bite into a beef.

“Aish!” Yoseob said. ‘But wait, that means that I’ll be with ___ longer!’ Yoseob thought and a grin flashed his face.

“You’re irritated but at the same time like the thought of it”, Doojoon said as if he read what was on Yoseob’s mind.

“Eh? What do you mean hyung?” Yoseob asked.

“Don’t deny, Yoseob. I know you like that girl. You were pissed because you have to think of another problem of hers you have to solve but you were happy as well since you can spend more time with her”, Doojoon said. “I told you not to fall in love with her right? You’ll just get hurt.”

“You’re right hyung, I shouldn’t have fallen for her”, Yoseob said sadly. “But the more I stop myself from wanting her, the more I want her.”

There was a moment of silence between Yoseob and Doojoon. Doojoon gave his bill to Yoseob and bid him goodbye.

“You’re looking for a problem to solve right?” Doojoon asked.

“Of course, I have to solve another one right?” Yoseob said. “Why did you ask anyway?”

“Hmm? Nothing, really. It’s just that you might have to solve one soon”, Doojoon said.

“I don’t get you, hyung”, Yoseob said.

“You’ll know what I mean soon”, Doojoon said.

Yoseob still did not get what Doojoon said about the problem he has to solve and just shrugged it off. Doojoon on the other hand bid goodbye and said good luck to Yoseob. Yoseob then proceeded to help Mrs. Park in closing the restaurant. He bid them goodnight and good bye after finishing his work.

Yoseob was on his way home when a ball suddenly rolled in front of him. Yoseob picked it up and a young boy approached Yoseob. Yoseob was thinking why the boy was familiar to him and remembered that it was the boy he risked his life just to save him.

“Hello there dongsaeng!” Yoseob said as he hand the ball back to the boy.

“H-hello, hyung”, the boy said shyly. “Will you play ball with me?”

“But isn’t it late already?  You should be inside your house”, Yoseob said squatting and patting the boy’s head.

“Well, my house is just near”, the boy said and pointed to a house across the street.

“Is that so? But still, you have to go now. It’s already dark. Children should be home sleeping, so you could grow taller. Do you want to be like hyung?” Yoseob said and made signs that he is lacking in height.

The boy laughed and said no. He then said good bye and run to their house. When he approached the gates, he waved at Yoseob who at the same time waved back at him.

Yoseob continued walking to your house humming to himself when suddenly someone bumps into him. He was a bit irritated but then realizes it was you.

“____?” Yoseob said in surprise.