Happy Holidays, Gdae_Woo

Who's My IGOT7 Secret Santa? 2016 [News update from the 2017.07.01]

Gift for Gdae_Woo

Gift from ???


Title: Ankaa

Pairing: Markson

Word Count: (grab a snack) 8,033

Rating: PG

Note:

Heyo! Remember that prince au question? Haha, this is not it. I decided to change the story to fit your love of fantasy better, and boy am I glad I did. I swear my best stories come out of this event. I love this fic, it's based off of one of my favorite movies Stardust. I hope you like it as much as I do!


Ankaa



The city of Wall was a small, quiet town. It was full of normal people who did normal things. There was a baker, a bookseller, two tailors, a school, a grocer, and a small smithing shack. Citizens were born, raised, and died without ever really amounting to much. The only remarkable thing about the town itself was its namesake, the all. For generations, the wall, a not-so-very tall stone wall bordering the horizon, had been guarded by one family and one man. The Keeper of the Wall was a withered, old man, who would likely keel over any minute if his family had a say in the matter. Day and night the old man sat on his stool next to a portion of the wall that had deteriorated over time. There were stories of young, idiot children attempting to cross the wall, but they were always caught and sent home with their tails between their legs.

    You may be wondering then, what was so interesting about this wall? Well, nothing really. It was just an old wall, built brick by stone brick by ancestors long ago. The interesting part was what lied beyond the wall. Tales of kings and queens, magic wizards and witches, faeries, unicorns and creatures untold were carried by somber summer night winds, drifting from over the wall and into the city of Wall. No one had actually been over the wall. No one had ever seen any of these thrills that lied beyond. Most people just brushed the stories off as wives’ tales and children’s fairytales and paid no mind to the existence of the wall, never questioning its purpose. However, that was all about to change because of on boy, soon to become a man.

---------------------------------------------------------

Mark was tired of this boring old city. He had the same routine everyday: wake up, tidy his room, go eat breakfast, attend lessons, come home, finish his work, eat dinner, take a walk and contemplate the existence of himself, this boring town and his flaccid fate, go to bed and do it all over again the next day. Despite being eighteen years of age, no of this has ever changed. Mark was finding himself need of a little excitement or else he was sure to go crazy.

It was on one of his nightly walks where Mark found his much needed chance for change. He had been aimlessly walking through the rural parts of town and found himself standing before the wall. Mark stopped his walk to gaze at the wall. Was it really so special? If the stories were untrue, why would there be a need for a gatekeeper? Mark dropped down into the grass and gave the wall a long, hard stare. It could hurt, right? Going over the wall just to see what all the hype was about. Mark looked down the wall on either side, then over his shoulders. No gatekeeper.

Mark stood up and sped over to the wall, placing a hand on the top and hoisting himself up and over quickly. He landed soundlessly on the other side. Mark stood still for a moment, shoulders hunched a bit as he looked over his surroundings. Nothing looked different. It was just a plain old field, just like the one behind him in Wall. Mark turned around and looked over the wall. Nothing different there either.

Maybe it is all just a myth.” Mark shrugged and began sprinting toward the new horizon.

It took quite no time to pass through the field. He had quickly reached the end there was nothing but forests to weave through, though this did not deter Mark from continuing on his adventure. He ambled his way through the tall evergreens until he came upon the edge of a cliff. It overlooked a large town, lit up by firelight. Enthralled by his discovery, Mark climbed down the cliff side and made his way to the town’s stone gates. A large, arched doorway welcomed him as he passed between people into the city. One getting past, he immediately came upon a market of sorts. Tables and tents were set up everywhere along a long stone pedestrian mall. People dressed in strange garments sold even stranger wares. Mark stared in horror as he passed by a stall with two grotesque, old women haggling angrily what looked to be a dead, two-headed rat. Doing so caused him to blindly run into a man.

The man growled and grabbed Mark by the shirt front, spitting into his face, “Ye better watch where yer goin, kid.”

S-sorry!” Mark squeaked and wrestled himself free before running away through the crowd, careful not to knock into anyone else.

He moved through the crowd in awe and fear. He passed by a woman selling dog sized elephants in a wooden cage and man with a jar of human eye balls seated upon his table, their irises still moving. Mark turned away in shock, instead finding something much more pleasing than he had seen yet. Mark was amazed by the sight before him. Seated on the steps of a rugged wooden carriage was a man unlike any he had seen before This man had a beauty that rivaled the heaven above. He had white blonde hair and the purest complexion. His eyes were a swirling galaxy that beckoned Mark closer. Enthralled, Mark wandered over to the man’s stall. The man caught his eye and stood, moving to meet him at the table in front of him when an ugly old woman intercepted him.

What do you want boy? I don’t have time for lollygaggers,” She snarled.

Before Mark could answer she snorted and looked over her decrepit shoulder at the man, “Tend to him. I’m going to the Slaughtered Prince for a pint.”

The man nodded and met Mark at the table whence the woman left.

She’s a charmer, isn’t she?” The man joked, ending his sentence with a laugh.

Mark was amazed by even the simplest sound of his voice, the deepest tremors of the unknown world, and his laugh like twinkling stars falling from the sky. Mark was enraptured.

See something you like?” the man prompted, eyes knowing that Mark had been staring.

Ah, yes,” Mark replied eyes meeting the man’s, “I mean, um, how much are these?” He coughed and pointed to a random set of f=glass trinkets littering the table.

Those?” The man lifted a perfect eyebrow, “Maybe the color of your hair or eyes, but you don’t want those.”

Oh?” Mark gulped at the man’s sultry tone.

No.” the man smiled, “This one.” He said as he picked up a delicate glass flower, “It’s a snowdrop. They’re good luck.”

A-and how much does that cost?” Mark asked in a whisper.

Hmm,” the man exaggerated a thought as his eyes roamed over Mark. He leaned forward ad tucked the flower into Mark’s shirt pocket, whispering to him, “A conversation, or perhaps a kiss?”

Mark blushed but did not move. The man ran his hand from Mark’s chest pocket to his wrist and tugged on it slightly.

Come with me,” he beckoned, tugging Mark around the table and to the carriage.

Mark followed the man without a care. He had stopped outside the carriage and waited for the man climbed into it when a flicker of light caught his eye. A small chain was wrapped around the man’s ankle. Mark followed the chain and found that it was more of a leash. HE reached down and picked up the chain, catching the attention of the man. He stopped and turned to Mark sadness etched into his wonderfully handsome face.

I’m a star,” he confessed, “Captured by that batty witch. She’s waiting until I glow to kill me and eat my heart. Can you free me?”

What?” Mark stared at the man in shock.

A star? A human star? A witch, better yet, a cannibalistic witch? Was there really such magic on the other side of the wall?

My name is Jackson, though most people would know me as Ankaa. I fell by accident and that witch found me. Can you help or not?” the man, Jackson, replied before grabbing Mark's hand and pulling him into the carriage.

I don’t understand,” Mark gasped, “You’re a star? That old lady was a witch?”

Jackson blinked back at Mark in disbelief, “Yes, never seen one before? Just where exactly are you from?”

Wall,” Mark responded, “You know, that town on the-”

Other side of the wall,” Jackson finished for him.

Mark nodded and Jackson’s jaw dropped in shock.

Are you crazy? How did you even cross?! Do you know how dangerous it is here for normal people?” Jackson suddenly shouted, arms flying out to grip Mark by the shoulders, “You need to leave before anyone finds out where you’re from!”

What? No!” Mark protested and pushed Jackson’s hands away, “This place may be the most terrifying place I’ve ever been to, but it’s amazing! Plus, I just…”

You just what?” Jackson sighed when Mark trailed off.

I just met you…” Mark continued in a whisper.

This time it was Jackson’s turn to blush, “Hey, I’m not keeping you here or anything! W-we just met.”

But I can’t help but want to help you!” Mark protested, bending over to pick up the chain binding Jackson to the carriage, “I have to get you out of here!”

No, you should go back to wall,” Jackson objected weakly.

Mark shook his head and reached into his back pocket, pulling out his carving knife, “I’ll get you out of here. I promise.” With that he took the knife and severed the chain. However, the broken ends of the chain grew bright and lifted themselves out of his hands before rebinding themselves together. Jackson looked on in sadness and shook his head.

See, you can’t do anything. It’s an enchanted chain. Go home while it’s still dark and don’t come back.” Jackson sighed and pushed Mark back through the doors of the carriage.

W-wait!” Mark shouted.

Jackson sighed and stopped, “What now?”

I haven’t paid you yet,” Mark replied.

What?” Jackson asked, eyebrows knitting together.

Mark smiled and quickly leaned over, pressing a soft kiss to Jackson’s lips. He pulled away with a slight blush and a smile.

Jackson swallowed harshly and tensed up as if he were holding himself back, “Get out of here before I do something I regret, sweetheart.”

My name’s Mark,” Mark replied shyly.

Mark, then,” Jackson nodded, “I hope we never meet again.”

With that, Jackson pressed another kiss to Mark’s lips before turning around and closing himself into the carriage.

Mark stood outside for a moment, hand coming up to rest over his fast beating heart and feeling the cool, smoothness of the glass flower in his pocket. It was in that daze that he returned home, somehow finding his way back up the cliff and through the forest to the wall. He paid no mind to the fact that the Keeper of the Wall had returned, simply stepping over the fallen part and back into Wall. The Keeper shout at him in surprise but he only continued on, back to his home. That night he fell into bed with a lovesick smile on his face, wishing only that he could see the stars through his ceiling.

When Mark awoke the next morning, he had already made up his mind. There was no way he was going to simply forget Jackson and leave him to his dreary fate. He would go back despite what the star had said, because if that kiss had anything to say about how Jackson truly felt then the star must not have meant what he said. With that decided, Mark quickly got ready for the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When night came around, Mark waited for his parents to retire to their room before he snuck out of the house. This time he was prepared, though. He covered himself in a thick cloak and kept a bag beneath it, the glass flower, a couple pencils and a notebook hidden within it. Mark sped through the cobblestone streets of wall, eager to reach the field and cross to the other side. The city views quickly faded into the countryside as Mark broke into a run. When he reached the field by the wall he had to stop himself short. The Keeper of the Wall had returned. Mark cursed his luck. He had to get across and talk to Jackson.  He could not give up now.

Mark set his shoulders straight and walked forwards to the wall, determined to make it across. The Keeper looked at him in surprise and hobbled forward on his cane.

Mr. Mark, what brings you here at this hour?” the Keeper asked, meeting Mark in front of the wall.

Oh, just taking a stroll, sir,” Mark replied with an innocent smile.

A stroll. That’s nice, by any chance were you thinking about strolling over the wall there, were you?” the Keeper hummed, bushy grey eyebrows nearly touching his hairline.

What? No, of course not!” Mark answered unconvincingly.

That’s good,” the Keeper nodded, clearly dubious, “Because I’m sure you know we aren’t allowed to cross.”

Yes, of course.” Mark nodded and bit his lip, rocking back on his heels.

The Keeper gave him a hard look and Mark huffed, head falling.

That’s it. Best you go home now, son.” The keeper placed hand on Mark’s shoulder and turned him around.

Mark allowed the old man to guide him away from the wall for a few steps before he suddenly ripped himself away from the man. He turned and sprinting with all his might, leaping over the wall and through the field on the other side. He did not stop until he was covered by the thick pine woods the old man’s shouts faded. Mark only stopped for a moment to catch his breath before following the familiar path down the cliffside.  When he got into the town, Mark pushed himself through the crowds with the sole intent of finding Jackson.

Soon enough the shabby wooden carriage came into view. The selling table was set before it but Mark could not see Jackson anywhere. Just as he made it to the table the carriage door burst open, revealing a frowning Jackson. Mark smiled widely, catching the star’s attention. Jackson froze atop the steps, expression hardening.  Behind him, his captor, the witch, hissed angrily.

Get a move on it!” The hag growled, shoving Jackson from behind and causing him to stumbled down the stairs.

He managed to keep most of his balance, not falling at the end of his descent. However, he landed in a hunched position. Jackson’s eyes peered at Mark through his bangs and mouthed something to the stunned boy. He frowned when Mark did not show understanding. So, Jackson stood and mouthed again before turning back to the witch, blocking Mark with his back.

Go away’

Mark understood that time. His grin dropped into a worried frown and decided it was best to obey this time. He pulled his hood over his head and shuffled to the next tent, keeping Jackson in the corner of his vision. Mark watched silently as the witch shared some heated words with the star. She took a knife from the table of wares and pointed it threateningly at Jackson’s throat. Mark clenched his hands at his side in anger. He needed to get Jackson out of there. He couldn’t let the man die at the hands of that witch. He won’t let it happen. Mark sighed in relief as the woman dropped the knife, grumbling and moving away from the booth. She stopped a few paces away from it and a few paces too close to Mark for both his and Jackson’s comfort.

I swear if you continue to act like this I won’t wait for the glow! A faded heart is better than no heart at all!” the witch screamed at Jackson before turning away with an angry swish of her tattered dress.

Not soon enough did she leave Mark’s sight. Though when she had, Mark immediately rushed over to Jackson’s side, grabbing him by the arm as he sagged down onto the carriage steps.

I thought I told you to stay away from here,” Jackson sighed, refusing to look at Mark.

I can’t do that,” Mark replied and moved so that he was kneeling in front of Jackson. He reached forward and brushed the star’s silver bangs from his forehead, “You don’t want that.”

Jackson finally looked Mark in the eyes giving him a pained smile, “I suppose I don’t.”

Mark smiled and leaned his whole body forward, encasing the melancholic star in his arms. Jackson leaned into the hug, lifting his own arms to wrap tightly around Mark’s shoulders.

How long will she be gone?” Mark whispered into Jackson’s ear after a moment of peaceful intimacy.

Hopefully the whole night,” Jackson sighed before nudging his head into the juncture between Mark’s neck and shoulder, “We’ll have to be careful. I can’t leave the shop unattended or she’ll know.”

Can we talk out here?” Mark asked as he shifted so that his chin was placed atop Jackson’s head, his soft silver locks tickling Mark.

Please,” Jackson mumbled into Mark's neck.

Mark squeezed Jackson once more before pulling himself away. He placed a hand on Jackson’s cheek, it gently.

You look paler than yesterday,” Mark commented, fingers following the star’s sharp jawline.

I don’t have much time left,” Jackson replied dejectedly.

So I heard.” Mark frowned, hand dropping from Jackson’s face.

That’s not exactly what I mean,” Jackson sighed and shifted over, patting the space he made on the stairs of the carriage, “I told you yesterday. I’m a star and stars need to glow. I’ve been trapped here for so long that I don’t think I can anymore. I’ve almost forgotten what it feels like to be up there, in the sky. If I’m stuck down here and fading am I even a star anymore? If I’m not, then I must be dying.”

Mark listened sadly to Jackson’s speech. He could not relate to it, the feeling of being so lost. Sure, he had felt abandoned in a town of boring before, but he still had his family, a place to sleep, people to rely on. Jackson had nothing. Mark was determined to change that.

Tell me about it then,” Mark prompted, placing his hand on Jackson’s thigh.

About what?” Jackson looked to Mark in confusion.

About being a star. What’s it like to be up in the sky?” Mark pressured.

He then remembered on of his reasons for returning to this place and smiled widely. Jackson’s face still showed that he did not understand as he watched Mark pull his bag from beneath his cloak. Mark chuckled at the expression before pulling out the leather-bound notebook and pencils he had stashed away earlier that night. The small glass snowdrop poked out from the bindings, carefully tucked between the pages in the middle of the book.

I’ll write it down, what you say, then when you feel lost or like you are forgetting you can just read from here and everything will be ok,” Mark offered with a bright smile.

For the first time that night Jackson smiled. It was so large and grateful that Mark had to believe that somewhere within Jackson, he had never forgotten how to shine. So, Jackson began telling his story to Mark. Mark dutifully scribed the stories of cool night air and beautiful landscapes of glowing lights and community. Jackson told of how in the sky, he never felt alone. He was always surrounded by another star. He had a family of others, but he could not remember their names or shapes. They formed a constellation of which alluded him for the time being, but he remembered the feeling of warmth that flowed through him when he was within it.

Occasionally, Jackson would have to stop his story and attend to a customer, but he would finish quickly and return to Mark. The night seemed to fly by and it was not long until Mark felt the exhaustion of staying awake late into the night. He yawned in the middle of one of Jackson’s anecdotes, pencil having long been forgotten on the page. Jackson stopped and smiled at the sleepy boy beside him, taking the notebook and pencil to stow away into Mark’s bag.

I think it’s time for you to head home,” Jackson’s low voice soothed Mark more than it prompted him to wake.

But you haven’t finished,” Mark yawned, arms coming up to stretch over his head.

Then come back tomorrow,” Jackson chuckled lightly.

Really!?” That seemed to wake Mark immediately, “You want me to?”

Of course,” Jackson’s eyes wandered from Mark’s sparkling eyes to his lips pulled tight into a wide smile before going back up, “You can even come in the morning if you want.”

Mark blinked back in surprise. If his smile could have stretched farther, it would have, “What about her?”

She sleeps during the day. I have to wake her up at dusk to prepare the shop, “Jackson informed, hand coming up to rest on Mark’s shoulder.

Will you be here?” Mark asked as he leaned towards Jackson.

No. She moves the carriage to the woods near Wall during the day.” Jackson’s hand had moved to Mark’s neck.

Then how will I find you?” Mark scooted closer to Jackson.

I have a feeling you will,” Jackson responded in a whisper, his hand finally on Mark’s cheek and their faces a breath apart.

Mark did not respond in favor of closing the small distance between them and sealing his lips over Jackson’s. Jackson pushed forward into the kiss, his other arm wrapping around Mark’s frame as if he were Jackson’s anchor. Their lips moved against each other in a sweet symphony of trust and dependency. Mark held onto Jackson, his connection to a world of wonder and excitement and not because he was a star with a tragic story but because love. After all, what is more exhilarating than love?

Eventually the need for air separated the two. Their breaths mingled as the pressed their foreheads together, not wanting to separate. Yet, day was calling and Mark belonged to another world. Jackson wistfully pulled away from Mark and stood. He reached down and offered his hand to Mark who took it and allowed himself to be pulled up by the star.

It would be best if you left before she returns,” Jackson whispered, eyes downcast.

Mark nodded and surged forward to hug Jackson once more, whispering into his ear, “I’ll find you tomorrow.”

No need to strain yourself,” Jackson joked dryly when Mark pulled away.

Mark chuckled and nodded before gathering his things and waving goodbye to Jackson, practically skipping home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark somehow managed to avoid the Keeper of the Wall on the way home, however luck wasn’t in his favor when he reached home. He was met with the scowling faces of his parents as soon as he reentered his house.

Mark Yi-En Tuan,” his father all but growled, “You better have an explanation for this.”

Mark tried to hold back the fear from his face. Had the gatekeeper told them? He was sure to be in big trouble.

First we go to your room to find you missing and then the Keeper of the Gate knocks on our door telling us that you've crossed the wall!” Mark's father continued, “Are you out of your mind? What do you have to say for yourself?”

Mark opened but nothing came out. What could he do? Lie? Tell the truth? Either way his parents probably wouldn't believe him.

I can't really say,” Mark replied hesitantly.

You can't say? What does that even mean, son?” Mark's mother questioned.

You wouldn't believe me if I said,” Mark explained.

Try me,” his father growled.

----------------

His parents didn't believe him. So now, Mark was stuck in his room for the entire day, barred from leaving except for food and the bathroom. Mark groaned as he laid on his bed. He stared at the ceiling, hoping not to drown in his thoughts. He promised Jackson he would find him. Heck, he promised he would go, but now he was stuck at home. He, an eighteen-year-old man, was grounded. Mark couldn’t help but groan again, throwing his hands up to his head and pulling at his hair in frustration. HE had to find a way out of this! Jackson was depending on him. Well, maybe not, but Mark couldn’t fight the visceral desire to see Jackson. Honestly, it scared him a bit; how much he cared for the star. Ever since meeting Jackson only a few days ago, Mark couldn’t imagine a day forward without seeing him. He crossed the wall for Jackson! He’d probably cross oceans for him to if Jackson asked. Did he love Jackson enough to put himself in the face of danger without a moment’s notice? Love.

Mark cursed suddenly. How had he not noticed earlier? He was too enraptured by the presence of Jackson to even realize that he was falling in love with the man. He was in love with the man. At least, if the deep-set feelings of longing and fear he felt meant anything.

Love,” Mark sighed to himself.

Maybe it wasn't so bad. Jackson definitely seemed to care about him. It may not be love, but there was definite interest between the two of them. Oh, how Mark hoped that Jackson did feel the same that he did. Soon enough, Mark was filled with a new determination. He was going to tell Jackson the next time they met. Their time was too precious. Many obstacles stood in their way, from Mark’s parents to that wicked witch, but he wasn’t going to let them get in the way. Mark had always said he was going to free Jackson, but now he was determined to make those words a reality.

Mark turned to look out the window, surprised to find that it was already night time. He looked up to the sky and the stars twinkling above. Would Jackson go back there if he were free? Even if Mark was destined to lose him to the sky, he knew that Jackson would be happier back in his true home. Mark could imagine it. The brightest star in the sky, smaller stars clustered around him; reunited with his family. Mark smiled sadly at the thought. He could lose the star, but technically Jackson would still be there. He would just have to look up.

A knock sounded on his door and Mark sat up on his bed. Mark’s mother walked in, worried frown etched on her face. The woman sat tentatively by her son and placed a hand on his thigh.

Sweetheart, I know you are upset, “she consoled, “Your father and I are just trying to keep you safe. You have no idea what’s out there. You could get hurt.”

Mark frowned and refused to look her in the eye. He pushed her hand off him and responded, “You seem to have conveniently forgotten that I’ve been ‘over there’ twice already.”

I-” his mother started but lost her words when Mark turned to glare at her.

You can’t keep me locked up here forever! Can’t you see that I want to be over there? I want to be with him! I can’t stand this tiny old town anymore!” Mark stood with a shout, “I love him, mom. I don’t care if you don’t believe me! I’ll find a way whether it’s by running or crawling. He needs me, and I need him.”

Mark’s mother looked at her son in surprise. She bit her lip worriedly and gazed up at her impassioned son with regret in her features.

After searching for the right words to say, she settled with, “I...I don’t know what to do, Mark.”

Mark’s features relaxed and he sighed. Mark dropped to his knees in front of his mother, taking her hands into his own.

Mom,” He spoke softly, “I know you love me. I know both you and father want the best for me, but I want to be able to decide what’s best for me too. I’m eighteen now. I’m practically an adult now. Please, please let me choose this time. Please let me choose Jackson.”

Mark’s mother pulled one of her hands from Mark’s grip and moved it to hold her son’s face. Her features contorted to show surrender and her eyes teared up, “My little boy’s all grown up now.”

Mark smiled brightly, only furthering his mother’s tears. Mark stood and quickly hugged his mother, wrapping his arms around her and allowing her to cry on his shoulder.

You really want this,” she sniffled, “You really want him?”

With all my heart,” Mark nodded into her hair.

With that she pulled away from her son and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She looked to her son and spoke one word, but Mark needed no others to understand, “Go.”

Thank you,” Mark croaked and surged forward squeezing his other one more time, his emotions close to spilling over the edge.

Don’t waste more time, son,” she chuckled and pushed him lightly, “Go.”

Mark nodded frantically and turned to grab his bag before sprinting from the room. She ran through his house like it was on fire, taking steps two at a time. He passed by his father without a word and bolted from the house, running as fast as he could all the way to the wall. He passed the Keeper without a fuss. Much to his surprise, the old man shouted “Good luck!” as he passed by. Mark did not stop until he reached the crowded archway of the city wall. He caught he breath and quickly squeezed through the crowds, pushing his way to Jackson’s shop space.

Mark found himself across from the shop table. Jackson was there, blonde head facing down as he arranged items for display. Mark could not contain his happiness as it bubbled forward and he shouted the star’s name, “Jackson!”

Jackson’s head jerked up in surprise, eyes locking onto Mark’s. Then, the most wonderful thing happened. Jackson looked shocked for a moment before his face burst into a glowing smile, literally glowing. The silver strands of his hair illuminated in the darkness as every part of his body seemed to confess his glee in Mark’s arrival. But then it was over in a flash. Jackson’s light went out as the doors to the carriage burst open, the witch flying down the steps screeching. Mark stepped back in fear. Jackson’s eyes screamed at him to run, but he couldn’t.

YOU! YOU WRETCHED LITTLE LIAR! YOU HAD ME THINK YOU WERE DULL! WELL THE VEIL HAS BEEN LIFTED MY LITTLE TRICKSTER!” the witch howled, surging forward and gripping Jackson by the side of his neck. Pain overloaded Jackson’s features and the star crumbled under the witch’s hand, gasping and clawing.

Jackson!” Mark jumped forward, unable to watch the pain on the man’s face.

Ahahahaha you!” the witch turned to face him, wicked smile upon her dry lips, “I have you to thank for getting my little star to glow-”

Mark wasted no time and threw himself at the old hag, pushing her away from Jackson and into the dirt below. The witch howled in surprise, long, sharpened nails trying to find purchase on Mark’s skin. Mark quickly wriggled himself away, rolling to where Jackson lay in a heap on the ground.

Jackson, no. Please say something!” Mark gasped, pulling the star into his arms.

Mark,” Jackson croaked, “What are you doing? Run!’

You’d best listen to him boy,” the witch growled as she slowly tried to stand behind them, “You don’t know who you are messing with.”

Jackson, please I can’t leave you! I love you, “Mark confessed.

Jackson choked out a smile, hair lighting up once again, “Mark...I love you too, which is why you have to run. I can’t see you get hurt because of me.”

No, I’m going to free you!” Mark insisted before checking over his shoulder for the witch, “Tell me what I must do! I’ll do anything!”

          

That’s it, boy! Keep him glowing like that!” the witch finally stood behind them and cackled loudly, “I’ll be young again soon! Hahahahaha!”

Mark,” Jackson gripped the boy’s arm tightly, “You need run. You can’t free me. The only way to break the chain is either she dies or you use white magic! Go! Before she casts another spell!”

Too late, lover boy! Out of my way!” The witch yelled as she waved her hand at Mark, deep green waves of electricity and magic flowing from her hands.

People all around them began to scream and run. Mark could not join them. He had to protect Jackson. Mark turned and wrapped his arms around Jackson, using his own back to shield them from the witch’s spell, and prepared for the worst. Yet, no pain came. Tentatively, Mark moved his head away from Jackson’s and looked over his shoulder to find what seemed to be a force field diverting all the witch’s magic.

W-what?”

The snowdrop,” Jackson croaked from beneath him, looking up to Mark, “It’s not only good luck, but it protects you from black magic. Quickly now, go before she finds a way around it.”

Jackson shifted and pulled a heavy silver chain from beneath his shirt collar. Attached to the center was a large locket and white gem. Jackson swiftly unlatched the necklace and wrapped it around Mark’s neck.

This necklace is the source of my shine. Take it with you and don’t come back. Go, please do not hesitate,” Jackson pulled Mark close and kissed him briskly but not without passion, “Go.”

The spell that had once been surrounding them diffused. The witch looked even more enraged. She lifted her hands and began muttering darkly. Jackson took this moment to push Mark away, causing him to roll into the pathway between stalls.

RUN!” Jackson shouted.

Mark scrambled to stand and sprinted, looking back worriedly. He pushed through the crowds as magic slammed into shops and tents alike. Tears formed in Mark’s eyes as the wind ripped at his back. He fought the dread and fear, pushing himself to find cover. Mark eventually ran into the city and hid around the corner of a stone building. Mark breathed heavily and dropped to the ground, head knocking back against the cold stone. Mark’s hand traveled up to the locket hanging around his neck. The heavy silver felt like comforting presence. A warm feeling rush from his hand and throughout his body. Mark closed his eyes and took a deep breath, head tilted up the sky.

I love you. Show me how to help Ankaa,” Mark whispered into the wind.

Suddenly the locket felt hot in his hands. Mark opened his eyes and dropped the locket in shock. The white gem on its surface was glowing with a brilliant white light, much like the shine of Jackson’s smile. The light grew brightly and encompassed Mark in its glow like a warm blanket. Then, the light died down and formed a beam pointing forwards through the city. Mark understood what it meant immediately.

I’ll show you what I can and can’t do,” Mark growled under his breath as he jumped up, legs following the light.

Mark sprinted through the city streets following the light to a shop, not far from the bazaar. The light was still lit inside, so Mark didn’t hesitate to throw open the door and enter noisily. He didn’t care about the stares he received. The light was guiding them through the shop pointing him to a single display case. Mark looked through the glass to see a long white sword, silver starburst painted across the blade.

Excuse me, sir!” A voice grabbed his attention, “Care to explain why you’re bombarding your way through my shop?”

Mark’s gaze jerked up to the man. HE looked nice enough that Mark almost felt bad for what he was about to do, almost.

Sorry,” Mark replied, “I need to borrow this.”

Then Mark was pulling the entire case, sending it crashing to the ground. The shopkeeper shouted in surprise as the glass shattered with the impact. Mark wasted no time and grabbed the sword by the hilt before turning and sprinting out of the shop. He continued running, ignoring the shrieks of surprised passerby and the anger shout of the shopkeeper. Mark ran all the way back to the bazaar where Jackson’s cart used to be. All that was there was Mark looked all around, heart dropping to the pit of his stomach. People were milling about, looks of disbelief and shock on their faces. Some were in the process of picking up the ruins left by the witch’s magic.

Mark suddenly turned and grabbed a random man by his shirt collar, pulling him over.

Where did they go? Where did the witch go?” Mark demanded.

Ah-she took the boy and she-” the man babbled in terror.

WHERE?” Mark shouted hastily.

Out of the city! Down the road to Wall!” The man squeaked back.

Mark released his collar and sprinted to the gates of the city. He pushed through people who did not move away fast enough. Most saw the sword and the man and flung themselves away. Mark ran like a mad man out of the city, immediately sprinting to the wooded path he had taken many times now. Branches of evergreens whipped at his face and body, but he powered through the forest all the way to the end. Mark came upon the carriage in the middle of the field on the magical side of the wall. All was quiet as he approached it, suspiciously so. Mark held the sword close to his body, but kept his nerves hot, ready to strike at any who cross his path. Mark quietly ascended the steps of the carriage. He raised his hand to the door handle. Mark couldn’t tell if his hands were shaking in either fear or anger. He slowly turned the knob and jerked the door open. The inside was quiet, unbearably so. The floor plan was mostly open. Mark carefully stepped into the main area, glancing at the various shelves and cabinets in apprehension. Towards the end of the compartment was a heavy curtain that split the cabin. Warily, Mark walked over to the curtain. He lowered his sword to the bottom of the curtain and pressed the point to the fabric. Using his sword, he lifted the curtain only to gasp and drop it.

Jackson!” Mark dropped the sword with a loud clang and flung the curtain away, practically pouncing on the star.

Jackson was laying on a bed separated from the rest of the carriage by the curtain. However, upon closer inspection of the star, Mark found that he was not lying there, but rather tied to it.

Jackson,” Mark whispered in shock and fear, body already pressed into the small space of the bad and hands moving to caress Jackson’s pale face.

M-Mark,” Jackson croaked, eyes blinking open and hair flickering to life, “I told you not...not to c-come.”

Don’t worry,” Mark quickly appeased, moving away to grab his sword from the ground, “I came prepared,” he continued as he showed Jackson the blade.

Jackson’s eyes widened as much as they could in his ill state. He shifted uncomfortably and coughed, straining against his bonds. Mark took that as a sign to cut the chains restricting Jackson. Mark bent over Jackson and hooked the chain wrapped around the star’s wrists over the point of the silver blade. In one short motion, the chain was split before glowing as if a string on fire, burning down the line until there was no piece left. As soon as his hands were free, Jackson surged forward, enveloping Mark in a back-breaking hug.

Mark...Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark,” Jackson chanted into Mark’s neck, arms tightening in a desperate man’s hold.

Mark felt the wet drops of tears fall from Jackson’s eyes and collect in the fabric of his shirt.

Why did you come? It’s a trap,” Jackson cried into Mark’s shoulder.

Mark pulled away from Jackson abruptly, hands flying to hold Jackson’s face. He stared into Jackson’s tear filled eyes with determination and vehemence, “Jackson, I swear you are the most amazing and precious thing to have ever happened to me in my entire life and I’ll be damned if I walk away from you! So, have some faith in me, because I’m getting you out of here.”

Jackson smiled through the tears, hair shining bright like the star he was. Mark leaned forward to kiss his long-awaited lover when suddenly loud cackling sounded from the entrance of the carriage.

Well, isn’t this a lovely sight!” The old witch stood in the doorway, a dark aura surrounding herself in fearsome quantity, “Just my lucky day! I’ll finally be young again and have another little slave for myself!”

Mark frowned and moved off the bed, holding the sword in front of himself, blocking Jackson with his back, “You’ll have through get through me first!”

Oh hohohoho,” the witch laughed before changing her expression to one of terrifying ferocity, her dark aura at the edges of her tattered clothes, “I plan to.”

Suddenly a large blast of magic flew towards Mark, ripping books from the walls and tearing the cabin furnishings to shreds. Mark covered in body with the sword in some weak means of protection. Yet the same force field from earlier appeared, deflecting the magic around himself and Jackson. Mark would have smirked in victory if it wasn’t for the pieces of shrapnel still in his path. Mark shouted in pain as he was buffeted with splinters of wood and heavy books, falling back to the bed in pain.

Ha! Your little stolen flower may protect you from my magic, but that doesn’t make you invincible!” The witch shouted as she flew forwards, feet lifting from the ground as she hurdled towards Mark grabbed Jackson by the arm and jumped from the bed seconds before the witch crashed into the compartment. It was chaos as the walls collapsed over the witch and she struggled to free herself from the various mixture of wood and fabric.

          

Can you walk?” Mark pulled Jackson up with a wince. The injuries he had sustained earlier were minor scrapes and bruises but they hurt a lot.

Not really,” Jackson responded tiredly.

The witch howled from within her confines, a dark presence erupting from underneath the pile and absorbing all the light in the room.

You’re going to have to!” Mark panicked and hoist Jackson up, pulling him out of the carriage.

They tripped going down the steps and fell to the ground rolling away from the door and into the soft grass of the field seconds before the entire carriage erupted in black flames. The two men gasped in horror as a dark form materialized through the flames, soon flying out of them and landing in front of them. If the witch had looked haggard before, she was beyond macabre now. Her hair had all fried up in the fire and her dress hung in pieces off her decrepit shoulders. IT was almost as if death itself were advancing upon them with a mad and bloodied smile.

That’s it now, stay down where you belong!” The witch shouted as she made one final lunge for Jackson, claw-like nails ready to dig through his chest.

NO!” With every last bit of his strength, Mark swung his sword across their bodies and arching it into the witch’s path.

There was a horrid suctioning noise as the blade pierced the witch’s body. Her own weight was the catalyst her demise as it pushed her further through the blade. Then there was nothing. The witch’s body turned to dust; the particles blown away by the breeze. The roar of the fire died into a friendlier mumbling.

I...is-is it over?” Mark blinked in astonishment, sword dropping to the grass beside them.

The two men looked at the fire in shock, trying to process their newfound freedom. Jackson eventually came to terms with this and felt every particle in his body alight with happiness. Jackson smiled and laughed joyfully, turning to his side and launching himself on top of Mark. Jackson squeezed the man beneath him in a breath-taking hug before tilting his head down and capturing Mark’s lips. Tears of relief leaked from Jackson’s eyes, turning their kiss salty. Mark giggled between breaths and slips of lips. He wrapped his arms around Jackson, flipping them so that Mark hovered over the star. They kissed passionately for years it seemed, drowning in the drunk feeling of love and happiness. Eventually they had to part. Yet, even then they stayed only a breath away from each other. Mark could only smile as he gazed down at the beautiful star beneath him. Jackson was glowing so brightly he could have rivaled the moon. His hair sprawled out in the grass underneath them, like silver strands of silk delicately placed in perfect position. His eyes sparkled more than the milky way. Mark felt himself losing himself more and more in Jackson’s galaxy.

You’re so beautiful,” Mark mumbled reverently, leaning down to pepper kisses on every inch of Jackson’s face.

You’re one to talk,” Jackson laughed as he tried to escape Mark’s affections, “So, what now?”

Mark blinked, he hadn’t really thought of that. He wasn’t entirely sure he’d get this far. What could they do? Where could they go? He supposed his parents would want to meet Jackson, especially his father. Mark stood up before bending over to help Jackson up as well. Mark took hold of both the star’s hands and looked him straight in the eyes.

Come back to Wall with me,” Mark offered sincerely.

Jackson smiled sadly and pulled his hands out of Mark’s grip, “I can’t.”

What? Why?” Mark exclaimed.

I’m not allowed to leave the magic realm. If I do, I turn to stardust,” Jackson sighed as he raked a hand through his bangs.

Then we’ll just stay here,” Mark decided without any hesitation.

But don’t you have a family? A home? I have nothing here! I’m technically not even from here!” Jackson gasped, pointing to the sky meaningfully.

I do, but you mean more Jackson,” Mark soothed.

Jackson didn’t seem to buy it though. He huffed and frowned, eyes meeting Mark’s with frustration and sadness mixing in their milky way.

Jackson,” Mark tried again, grabbing Jackson’s hands and holding them over Mark’s heart, “Before I met you, I was nothing. I was a bored boy living in a town he wanted no part of. I had nothing to live for other than my family, no friends to call my own. But then, I met you. Jackson, you taught me how to fight. Sure, I might not be so good with a sword, but I freaking killed a witch for you. You may not realize it, but you taught me how to love and to fight for what I love. I practically ran away from home every night, lied to my parents, then convinced them, stole a magical sword which I still have no idea exactly what it is or what to do with it, and killed a witch all to keep you. If you have any doubt that I don’t want this, don’t want you, then I suggest that we part ways before one of us gets hurt.”

As soon as Mark finished his speech Jackson lunged himself at Mark, talking him to the ground with tears in his eyes, “Nonononono, that’s ok. We’ll stay!”

Mark laughed brightly and tilted his head to kiss Jackson’s hairline, “I love you.”

I love you too,” Jackson smiled and seemed to glow even brighter as he shifted to kiss Mark again.