Chapter Four - Can You Smile?

Dance With Me

ChaeRin gripped the wooden bar and panted heavily.  She stared at herself in the wall-length mirror.  "Ugh, I look horrible!"  She wiped her hand across her forehead - trying to stop the sweat from trailing down her face.

With a deep breath, she held herself up straight and pressed play on her iPod which was currently plugged into the docking station.

"You don't know me, so shut up, boy!"  She swayed along with the sound of the music which was blasting throughout the room - probably even loud enough to be heard in the corridors.  Hitting every beat and using every muscle in her body - she danced perfectly.

ChaeRin was one to be paranoid.  A life-time of being a bully-victim tends to have that negative effect on people.  She could usually let it go in the dance studio, but something was bugging her.  She didn't know what it was.  As if someone was watching her?  "Chum chul ttaen bad girl, salang-eun good girl~"  But still, the music played and ChaeRin let her body surrender to it - moving in ways people wouldn't think possible of a seventeen year-old girl.

She was beautiful on the dance floor.  Although, she didn't think so herself - if she allowed, she could mesmerize anyone with such a talent.

-

He watched her dance around the room with such determination in every step.  Every flick of her wrist and every twist from her waist was so gracefully set out - he could just sit there and watch her for hours.  But then he remembered that he had things to put straight.

That's when he saw her fall.  He knew as soon as she used the wrong foot that things would go wrong.  She hit the floor with a thud that was almost inaudible.  "How can someone human be so light even when gravity takes over them?"  He rushed in past the sound-proof doors and held her upper-arms - trying to bring her back to her feet.  "Omo, are you alright?"

She just stared back at him - eyes full of curiosity and...  fear?  "What...  What are you doing here?"  She whispered, looking away and shrugging his hands off of her arms.  She waited until he stood back then she let herself stand up - almost meeting his eyes, but he was much taller than she.

"I wanted to talk to you.  Why won't you look at me?  I'm not going to hurt you."  He reached out to rub her arm reassuringly, smiling at her, but she flinched away from him.

"I have to go now, umma will be worried..."

"I know that she's away.  Your umma works with my appa.  They're on a business trip, right?"  ChaeRin stared at the boy in disbelief.  "You don't have to lie, and I'm not going to hurt you - you don't have to feel afraid of me.  You're a great dancer!  I saw you from the corridors...  Do you dance often?"

"You...  You're the boy...  One of the boys in that group...  And the boy from the park...  You go to my school, right?"  She blurted out, curiosity taking over her speech.

"Ne, ne and...  ne - is your ankle alright?  Are you hurt anywhere?  That fall looked pretty sore."  He looked over her with worry.  And yet again, ChaeRin found herself staring at the boy in disbelief.

She nodded, not paying any proper attention to his questions.  "I'm fine...  Are you following me?  How...  How did you..."  She let her gaze drift off to the door as she thought on all of the things that had happened that day - the phone call, the urgency in the voice, the park, now...

"I want to talk to you about something, ChaeRin.  Something important."

Fear arose in the pit of ChaeRin's stomach.  Did she want to know?  Why did he have to tell her?  "What...  What is it?"

"It's about the cafe.  I don't want you to freak out over this, okay?"  ChaeRin nodded hesitantly.  "We...  We're really sorry about everything.  It was our fault - we tried to get them away, but they wouldn't leave.  And then they started trashing the place and everything went wrong!  We managed to get them away, we even risked a few bruises and black-eyes, but we didn't want to risk going back to make sure you were okay in case they followed and done something worse.  Mianhae, ChaeRin-ah, we hoped that you and the other lady were alright."  The boy rubbed the back of his neck and grimaced.

For the first time, ChaeRin wasn't so scared of the boy.  She smiled, this time comfortingly towards him, and placed a hand on his.  He snapped his head to look at her.

"How did you know my name?  And how did you find my number?"

"My...  My appa wrote down your number and your name.  He's friends with your umma - they work together, remember?  He said your umma would give you my number, also, I'm Hoya."  He smiled, this time meaningful, hoping that the girl in front of him wasn't mad at him over the truth he had just revealed.  She didn't seem as tense as before.

"Hoya...  You're the one that dances?  Umma did tell me about you, I think?"  ChaeRin thought back and remembered the note she had found on the fridge with names and numbers of who to call in case of an emergency.

Hoya smiled at her.  He walked over to the other end of the dance studio, looking through the music on her iPod, "Do you have any Infinite?"

ChaeRin smiled, "Ne, I do."  She walked over and pressed play, letting the music blast throughout the room once again.

-

"Oh, she's back!"  The both of them danced freely around the room.  They were so in sync with each other it was as if they were mirrored of one another.  The music stopped and ChaeRin sat on the cold, wooden floor, giggling.  That was something she hadn't done in a long time.

"What's so funny?"  Hoya smiled, sitting next to her.

"I...  I've never danced with anyone before...  It's strange, I've not let anyone watch me dance, not even umma.  Yet, here I am, dancing with you...  and it was fun..."  She smiled at him, a smile that reached her eyes and showed happiness, which wasn't a common thing for Kim ChaeRin.  But what touched her more, was the smile that was returned from Hoya.  Maybe things would get better?

--

(A/N:  Annyeong!  ^^;; x

So, um, I know that I only updated a couple of days ago...  But I wrote this and, with the help of @ChiiRiiSwirlz and @TheInspiritedGirl, I decided to upload now instead of waiting for next week.  :')  x

I'd like to thank all of my subscribers, viewers and commenters - you have no idea how much it all means to me. ^^;; x

Gomapseumnida,

-Kang HyeKyo~<3) xx