Chapter 2

Choices

~Xiumin's P.O.V.~

I sat at my desk, finishing next week’s homework, when my classmate, Jongdae, strolled in. He gave his late slip to our teacher, Mr. Tu, who was less than pleased to see him. Mr. Tu gave him a stern look and said in a disappointed voice, “This is the fourth time you have been late this week. You know what that means, Jongdae.”

    Jongdae looked at him as if it were no big deal and took the Saturday School slip, then moved leisurely to his desk. I thought to myself, how is he even in an advanced math class if he won’t even show up on time? The world may never know.

    The rest of the day was fairly uneventful until after school, as I was headed down the hall, towards the gates of the school. “Minseok!” I heard my name called. I turned and saw our Senior Class President, Luhan, walking towards me, his usual friendly smile spread across his face.

    “Luhan, uh, can I help you?” I awkwardly rubbed the back of my neck, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

    “Actually, yes. I saw on our Score Report that you have the highest grade point average in our grade, and I thought that maybe you’d be a great candidate for student council.” He cheerfully explained. I gave him the most sincere smile that I could manage.

    “Thanks for the offer, Luhan, really. But, I don’t think student council is my thing.” I politely declined.

    “Please, just consider it. If you want, I can tell you more about it later, and maybe if you ever change your mind, just let me know.” The younger boy suggested.

    “Okay. Um, I’ll think about it.” I assured him, gave him a slight wave, and narrowly avoided falling on my face as I began the route back to my house.