Chapter 9

Choices

~ Chen's P.O.V. ~

I thought it would be nice to see Xiumin outside of tutoring again, so I decided to ask him if he wanted to go to the movies. He agreed, as long as we didn’t watch any horror films.

    When we got there, I suggested Jurassic World. He gladly agreed, and I bought the tickets. He tried to give me money for his, but I refused to take it. He tried to sneak it into my pocket, but I gently grabbed his wrist, and shook my head.

    “Come on, ChenChen. Please let me pay you.” He pleaded, grabbing the money with his opposite hand (that I wasn’t holding captive), and held it up, his eyes portraying his feeling of guilt.

    “If you feel so bad about paying me, just get some snacks.” I pointed towards the snack bar.

    “Well, uh, I was hoping we could…” Xiu trailed off.

    “Hoping we could…what?” I gave him a questioning look.

    “I was hoping that, maybe…we could…uh…go to dinner. You know, after the movie.” He finally finished, looking everywhere except for me. I moved the hand that was holding his wrist down to his hand, where I interlocked my fingers with his.

    I leaned in close to his ear. “I’d love to go to dinner with you, XiuXiu.” I chuckled quietly to him. He laughed and playfully shoved me off of him, but I grabbed both of his wrists and pulled him into my arms, wrapping them around his small torso. He hid his face in my shoulder, trying to conceal his laughter. As I looked over his shoulder, some people were giving us odd looks. I let go of one of Xiumin’s wrists, flipped them off, and then moved so both of my hands were holding his. He pointed out that we were gonna be late to the movie if we waited around any longer.

    We walked to the theater and took our seats in the very back row. The same trailers played over and over again until we could both quote them word for word. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the movie started.

    Halfway through the film, I noticed Xiumin was leaning towards me unconsciously from the suspense of it all. I thought he looked cute when he was this concentrated. His mouth hung open in awe, and his eyes were wide at the scene playing out before us. I waited until he was distracted, then casually laid my arm over the back of his seat. He didn’t notice for several minutes until he leaned back and the back of his neck hit my arm. He looked back, saw my arm, and then proceeded to lay his head on my shoulder. We remained like that for the rest of the movie, and waited until most of the people left before actually standing up and making our way out of the theater. We began joking about the movie and then discussed where we wanted to go for dinner.