Chapter 14

Choices

~ Luhan's P.O.V. ~

I walked from my house to the local flower shop, hands beginning to sweat with the nerves. I took deep breaths, and tried to stay as calm as I could. I bought a bouquet of red roses, clinging on to them for dear life as I walked out of the shop. I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. I thought as I made my way down the familiar route to a certain introvert’s house.

With every step I took, my heart began to beat faster and faster, until it was a pounding in my ears. I wanted to walk slowly, and take my time, but my nerves made me walk even quicker. My brain screamed at me to slow down, but my legs refused to listen.

Just as I rounded the corner onto his street, I saw a male figure coming from the opposite direction, also holding a bouquet of roses. As I took a few more steps closer, I realized it was Kim Jongdae. He seemed confident, as he always did, but there was something about him that made me think that it was just a front. The way his empty hand was clenching and unclenching, the way he shook his head, as if disbelieving reality, the way he kept fidgeting with his leather jacket as he came closer. Then, he did something I was not expecting. He looked directly at Xiumin’s house, looked at the roses, then back, and smiled.

He’s here to see Xiumin. I realized in panic. I began sprinting towards the house, trying to beat him there. He looked up and noticed me, saw the flowers, and began sprinting as well. We both ran up the walkway and to the door.

“What in the hell are you doing here?” he asked me, the question coming out more as a growl as he glared at the flowers I was holding. “Those better be for his mother.” he muttered. He was at least a whole head taller than me, and I seemed to grow smaller and smaller the more his eyes bore into mine. A sudden wave of fear came over me as it registered in my mind that he could beat me to a pulp if he felt like it.

“I-I’m here to see Xiumin.” I managed to reply.

“Well, too bad. ‘Cause so am I.” he seemed so enraged, and I had no idea anyone could seem so terrifying as he did to me in that moment. All of the sudden, the door opened, and his expression changed to a neutral one as we both turned to see Xiumin’s mother standing at the door. I guess his parents came back early.

“Oh, um, can I help the two of you?” she asked, eyeing the roses suspiciously. I didn’t know what to say. But, by the looks of it, neither did Jongdae. We both stood there, frozen, each holding a bouquet of red roses, unable to explain why we were there. You see, XiuXiu’s parents aren’t the most understanding of people.

 

After what felt like an eternity (but what was probably only a few seconds), I saw Xiumin walking down the stairs. “Minseok, you have visitors...I think.” his mother called back to him. He looked up, saw me, and smiled, then saw Jongdae standing next to me, and his smile faded.

He looked at the roses in each of our hands, and his face changed to pure panic. His mother was giving him an odd look, waiting for him to say something. “I-I-I-I g-gotta go finish my...h-homework.” he stuttered, turning and sprinting back up the stairs.

“I thought you finished it last week.” his mother yelled. She turned back to us. “Sorry, he doesn’t get many visitors. Come on in.” she gestured for us to go inside, and I hesitated, but Jongdae quickly stepped in and raced up the stairs. I chased after him, both of us stopping outside the door that read “Minseok’s Room, Please Knock”. I expected Jongdae to pound on the door, or kick it open, but all he did was gently rap on the wooden surface.

“Xiu, you okay?” he asked, pressing his ear to the door to see if he could hear anything.

“XiuXiu, are you alright?” I called.

“Why do you always have to one-up me, dude?” he smacked my arm, but not hard enough to hurt.

“Because I know what’s best for him.” I whispered angrily at him. I was tired of Jongdae thinking he can get anything he wants. Not today. He will not get my XiuXiu.

“Well, guess what? I want him to be the best person he can be, and it’s certainly not with someone like you.” he stated. Well, that hurt. I immediately thought to myself. It didn’t make sense to me why it did, though. I shouldn’t have cared what Jongdae thought. But, for some reason, his words stung. Badly.

“Please, don’t fight.” we heard a soft voice request from the other side of the door. “I couldn’t stand to lose either one of you.” Minseok added. Jongdae and I looked at each other, then back to the door.

“Xiumin-” I started.

“No! I won’t run from this anymore.” he interrupted me, taking us both by surprise with his use of language. The door swung open to reveal a red-faced Xiumin. He looked like he was ready to cry, but he also looked absolutely pissed. He pointed sternly at his bed, making direct eye contact with the both of us. There was no way this could be the same person as the shy, quiet, loner that did his homework a week in advance.

Jongdae slowly walked in, making his way to the bed and sitting on the edge, looking just as confused as I felt. Xiumin turned his attention back to me, nodding his head towards the bed, urging me to go sit. I followed Jongdae’s lead and sat on the edge. Minseok pulled up his desk chair so he was sitting in front of the both of us. “In one sentence, please, tell me why you showed up on my doorstep with roses.”  he looked at me first.

I had no idea what he wanted to hear from me. I hadn’t expected for Jongdae to also be there when I told him. I hesitated, looking between the two boys, unsure what to do. Luckily, Jongdae stepped in to save my sorry .

“I believe we’re both here because...well...we love you, Kim Minseok. Both of us.” Jongdae glanced at me, and my heart dropped at the realization that his words were true. I looked at Xiumin, and he was frozen in place. His mouth hung open, and his eyes shifted between the two of us on the bed. I don’t know what he was expecting, but it probably wasn’t this.

“I-I love you guys, too.” Xiu replied, talking more to himself than to us. “But,” he began, causing both Jongdae and I to give him worried looks, “you guys practically despise each other. I can’t be happy if the two people I love are at each other’s throats all the time.”

“So, what are you suggesting?” I spoke up, unsure of where this was going.

“Have you guys ever considered having a polyamorous relationship?” he questioned, locking eyes with the two of us.