Chapter 5

Choices

~ Xiumin's P.O.V. ~

I plopped down in my usual spot and waited for the rest of the class to fill. Fifteen minutes later after the bell rings, Jongdae walks in late, again. I thought to myself, man this guy can’t even show up to Saturday school on time, and to think he is here because of him being late constantly. Mr. Tu pointed to the only seat available which happened to be right next to me. I already knew that today was going to be a long day.

We started to work on the review worksheet Mr. Tu handed out. I started to go step by step with him on the problems and to my surprise Jongdae already knew all of the material. For the entire day we talked and laughed quietly though so Mr. Tu wouldn’t notice we weren’t doing our work. Today I realized that maybe Jongdae wasn’t so bad after all.

Over the last few months, I became really good friends with Luhan and Jongdae. Every other day I would go out with Luhan to lunch, and the rest of the week I would tutor Jongdae on subjects that he actually needed help on.

One rainy day, I grabbed my umbrella and headed outside for some time to think. I decided to go to the park closest to my house which was my first mistake.

As I was walking along the path a pigeon flew to my feet. I learned how to control my fear of birds (especially pigeons) somewhat but not completely. I tried to shoo it away but it wouldn’t budge and it called more of its evil friends. All of a sudden, I was cornered into a bench, where I hugged myself and rocked back and forth. For a few seconds I looked and to my surprise was a wet and cold Jongdae. He looked at me with a grin, hair clinging to his face.

“Are you afraid of pigeons, Minseok?” I looked at him with terror on my face.

“w-w-what makes y-you think t-t-that?’ I stuttered. He looked at me with his devilish smile and walked towards me with open arms. I quickly ran through the flock of pigeons and jumped into his arms, clinging onto him as if he were a tree. I quickly let go blushing and shared my umbrella with him because we were still in the rain. “What are you doing here all alone?”

“Oh, my bike broke down on the way home so now I have to walk the rest of the way home.” He said with a touch of sadness in his voice. For the rest of the afternoon, we wandered around the park, laughing about random things.