CHAPTER 2 - The Edge of the World

The One You Found

== Chapter 2 ==

 

                                                                                                       The Edge of the World                                                                                                     

It was the following morning after regaining his consciousness. Having taken in so much the previous day he felt too tired to get up, and just slept the rest of the day.

 

He woke, feeling restless due to the heat in the small room. He sat up, looking at the dim shadow coming into the room through the drawn curtains, and he could tell it was an early morning, - the sun having not risen yet.

 

Countless of thoughts crossed his mind, but none of them registering, and he began feeling stuffy, - being closed in behind the walls for so long, made him feel suffocated and he wanted to get out.

 

He opened the door, looking at the corridor before him, not knowing where it led or where exactly he wanted to go, but still proceeded to walk down it.

 

He walked quietly, assuming the others were still sleeping, and was proven right at the sight of Jimins grandma sleeping in one of the rooms with an open door.

 

He followed further down the corridor, reaching the living room, where he noticed a boy sleeping soundly on the floor. Jungkook must have been occupying Jimins room, and he felt slightly guilty at the sight of Jimin having to sleep on the floor.

 

He looked around the dim room, seeing a wooden frame door with a glass window in the middle of it, through which a faint light was coming in through, taking it as the door to the outside, and walked carefully towards it.

 

-

 

The outside was different from what he had imagined. There were fields all around, and in a near distance he could see trees which were surrounding them, and beyond the tree tops a sea outstretching into the far distance.

 

He stayed still taking in the scenery, it was beautiful and when the first glimpse of light appeared, he held his breath watching it dye a strip of sea bright orangey yellow.

 

He began walking down the path leading to a parting in trees, - assuming it led to the sea. He wanted to see more of it, before the sun had fully risen.

 

The walk barely took 10 minutes, as he found himself standing on a gritty sand. Looking around, he couldn’t see a single person. Everything looked so calm and still around him. He walked further to the shore, the details of waves becoming clearer and clearer as he neared them.

 

He stopped feeling his vision become blurry, and suddenly memories of himself struggling underneath the water began flooding into his head. There was a sharp pain in his head and he yelped, falling down to his knees, - as he held onto his head desperately.

 

The feelings of pain and confusion were growing, and he could feel shortness of breath and then panic kicking in.  

 

“Jungkook!” He heard his name repeated over and over again, from a distance, and then getting nearer and clearer as he turned his head to the person calling for him. Even through his blurry sight, he could make out Jimin running towards him, a clearly scared expression on the others face.

 

“Jungkook” he shouted for the last time, harshly falling onto his knees beside him, and grabbing his face, - as he studied it with an anxious expression. “I remember drowning” Jungkook cried out, his eyes watery as he watched Jimin look at him in fear now, before hugging him desperately.

 

“It’s ok” Jimin comforted him, patting his back softly with his hand, as if to smooth out the pain from Jungkook, “It’s ok” he kept repeating the words softly, the two of them staying like that for a while.

 

“Look” Jimin said, and he caught a tint of happiness in the others voice, looking up at him, and seeing where his eyes, - which were glowing orange now, were looking towards. Turning his head to the sea, he felt himself draw a breath in awe, the whole sea was bright orange underneath the suns touch, and he could only watch it in admiration.

 

=

 

“Where did it happen?” Jungkook found himself asking Jimin on the fourth day, and the others surprised face almost made him regret having asked the question.

 

“You want to know?” Jimin said the words slowly, his expression turning sad, as Jungkook nodded. “I’ll take you there later” Jimin stood up, avoiding his gaze and walked back to the house.

 

-

 

“Come on, let’s go” Jimin said, as Jungkook was sat on the bed, - lazily flipping through the pages of some travelling book he had found in Jimins room.

 

“Where?” Jungkook asked puzzled, closing the book now and settling down to the side.

 

“To where you asked” he simply answered.

 

-

 

Even if Jimin was actually taking him there, he didn’t look like he wanted to. Jungkook could tell the other felt reluctant to take Jungkook there, and was prepared to turn back at any given moment.

 

“If you want to…” Jungkook dragged out, Jimin walked in front of him down the forest path, slightly turning his head in response “…we can just go back home”.

 

“No” Jimin said after hearing him out, “If not today, it will be any of others days anyway”. His tone seemed so wretched, that he felt regret at having asked for this.

 

To think, he asked of Jimin to take his lover back to a place that he got hurt and lost all the memories of him, and he could feel his own face cringe at the thought. He seemed like a senseless idiot, but he needed to know, in order to put it all behind him and move forward.

 

-

 

“Here” He said, as Jungkook came out of the forest.

 

“You fell from there” he said pointing a cliff on their right side.

 

This was still part of the same beach stretch, just a cliff separating the beaches into two. He had gone a few times to the beach with Jimin after the incident, but never to this side, and he now knew the reason for it. He looked around, scanning the further surroundings, and spotting an odd lighthouse in the distance.

 

-

 

Jimin was walking on the sand near the shore by himself, as Jungkook watched him for a while before following after the other.

 

“Wait” He called out, as he lightly jogged to catch up with Jimin “Where are you going?”, he asked eyeing the other, who just nodded towards the lighthouse.

 

They walked quietly side by side.

 

 “It’s always so quiet here and at the same time it’s not” Jimin spoke up, and Jungkook stole a glance at the other, waiting for Jimin to carry on speaking.

 

“When you’re the only person walking here, it feels really lonely and quite” he smiled bitterly, “but when you listen, it’s so noisy, - almost deafening. The constant sound of wind, waves crashing and birds screeching. So, it’s quite, but truly, it never is”. This was the longest he ever heard Jimin speak for, and he only nodded or hummed as a reply when he felt like it was the right time to do so, not wanting the other to stop speaking.

 

“I always hated school” Jimin laughed “Always having to wake up early, and then-” He suddenly stopped, and the look that was on Jimins face told him that Jimin was regretting having spoken this much.

 

“Is there anyone who likes school?” Jungkook spoke up, trying to get the other to continue his story, “Even if I don’t remember, I can bet I hated it as much as you did”.

 

“I had to travel over an hour to school each morning by myself through the forest” Jimin continued, “It used to feel so scary. During winter it would always be dark on my way home, so I would have to run without stopping through it.”

 

“Doesn’t anyone else live around here who could have walked home with you?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

 

“Haven’t you noticed that we are in the middle of nowhere?” Jimin laughed “We are surrounded by fields and trees. If the world had an end, it would end right here. The edge of the world”

 

‘How did we meet? Who fell for who first? Who asked who out? Did we go to the same school? If we did, why didn’t I walk you home? What did you like about me? What did I like about you?’ He wanted to ask so many things, but he couldn’t, Jimin was still carelessly speaking away about the smallest of things, and he didn’t want upset the other with his useless questions.

 

=

 

Jungkook often felt so guilty towards the other. He couldn’t remember his lover no matter how much he tried. He couldn’t feel any love towards the other, and he knew that Jimin understood that. In the whole weeks’ time Jimin didn’t try to touch him even the slightest, giving Jungkook all the space he needed and more.

 

He empathised with the other, having tried to imagine this situation countless of times from Jimins point of view, - his lover was in front of him, but didn’t love him back, didn’t remember anything about him or them.

 

Even if he couldn’t imagine himself liking men, for whatever reason, the old him did, the old him loved Jimin and he felt like he had to push himself however much needed for Jimins sake. He didn’t know when he would regain his memory back, but he didn’t want to regret making Jimin miserable and hurting him with the coldness he was treating the other with now.

 

He wondered sometimes, how did he love Jimin? Did he actually love the other? How they fell in love? What were they like before? What was he like before? Was he touchy, was he cold like now, did he tell the other he loved him in words, or did he express it?

 

They were stupid thoughts, but he was curious, he was curious because he didn’t know the answer to any of them.

 

-

 

“Done” Jungkook said, having finished washing the last of dishes.

 

“You’re getting better at this” the grandma praised him, - at the now clean stack of dishes.

 

“Where’s Jimin?” He asked looking around, not finding the other.

 

“Probably the lighthouse” she said, nodding towards its direction, and Jungkook felt stupid for a moment, one thing he learned was Jimins love for walking on the beach, and even more the old lighthouse.

 

Jungkook never seen much past its old appearance, but something about it always attracted Jimin.

 

“Say” Jungkook said “What’s so special about the lighthouse?”

 

“Everything” The grandma answered “It wasn’t like this before, it looked better back in the day, before it was abandoned… like Jimin” she said the last two words so quietly, that Jungkook was barely able to hear them.

 

“My son, - Jimins father, was a fisherman. He would go with that stupid small boat of his into that sea no matter what the weather was like. So many times, he barely came back, until one day” she paused giving out a deep sight “One day he just didn’t come back at all. I knew it would happen one day, but we continued to wait and wait in wail, and then one day, his mother, that crazy women” she sighed again “She went to the lighthouse, I don’t know what she was thinking, but she jumped into the sea, leaving that poor boy behind” she shook her head painfully “For the whole week the waves were so strong, that they only found her body days later. We ended up scattering her ashes there, because Jimin wanted his parents be closer to one another”

 

Why did he even ask?. He felt like an idiot, having to have the grandma tell him something so painful and miserable, and having to recall those times all over again.

 

-

 

He came out from the forest, and he could spot a figure in the distance, lying down on the concrete by the lighthouse and began walking towards it.

 

“Taking a nap?” he said after reaching the other, and proceeding to lie next to the Jimin.

 

Jimin just eyed him with one eye, and smiled slightly, before closing it again, and humming a reply.

 

They were so close to each other that Jungkook could feel the others body warmth, he could feel how close their hands were and he felt obligated to hold it.

 

He hesitated for a moment, but still took it, Jimin quickly turning his head towards him in response, and he could tell from the corner of his eye, that the other was looking at him for an answer.

 

“Sorry” Jungkook apologised, continuing to stare at the sky, “I know it feels strange for you, because I don’t remember you, and you have to hold yourself back…”

 

“Don’t feel sorry” Jimin answered quickly, with that sad tone lingering in each of his words “You don’t need to feel sorry at all. You don’t need to force yourself either…”

 

“No” Jungkook shook his head, “I can do this much” and Jimin just turned back, closing his eyes.

 

They laid still, Jimins warm hand felt so small in his own, almost like a child’s.

 

Jimin was right, now that he closed his eyes and listened, he finally understood the others words from before.

 

It felt so quite here, but also so noisy and loud. The wind bringing over so many sounds, that it felt almost deafening.

                                                                                    AUTHOR's NOTES                                                                                 

I'm giving you readers a calm(before the storm) chapter here.   ̄ ³ ̄

To be honest, I nearly fell asleep writing this chapter… but I felt like I had to fill in a bit in this chapter. ಠ_ಠ

After next chapter, this story will pick up...

[If you spot any grammar mistakes do tell me, so I could correct them.]