Chapter Nineteen:

The Dual Nature of Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ayeon’s party is at a new swanky bar called Studio J. It's right within the luxury district’s entertainment center, at home in between luxury boutiques and high-end bars. This is not the usual place I hang out in, but there’s a first time for everything. And for Ayeon, I will do just about anything.

I arrive thirty minutes before Ayeon says I should show up. Because I got really antsy this afternoon. I got ready an hour earlier than I was supposed to, got anxious waiting, and left for the bar thinking I’m likely to get lost finding my way to Studio J. I did get lost and walked aimlessly in circles for about twenty minutes before finding the entrance. Now I’m just standing here unsure what to do. I should be on the guest list so no more worrying about the lines…but now I’m worried about coming up to the door guys and looking like an idiot.

I can do this.

Breathe.

I step up to the club, straightening my tight skirt as discreetly as I can. I give my name to the door guy holding the clipboard and try not to cringe when he gives me a once-over. The group of couples waiting in line give me a look as well, and try as I may to ignore it, I can feel their eyes on me. It’s always like this when people think you’re cutting in line. When you don’t look the part of someone who’s supposed to be someone. I may be wearing something out of my usual clothing—a short denim skirt and a long sleeved cropped jumper—but that didn’t mean I was a different person already.

Door guy finally lets me in, and I’m taken aback by the dissonance in the visual stimuli assaulting my eyes. Bright lights stand out in the dim room, and I squint to better see what’s ahead. The bar is more or less the usual concept with tables scattered across the room and a stage set up front. There’s a DJ working overhead playing house music, but not enough people are dancing to it. I have a few ideas to get this crowd moving, but that’s not what I’m here for.

Going in, I swallow the nerves and steady my gait. Ayeon said she reserved tables for us but didn’t say which one and Huiryong won’t be arriving until after 10pm. This is why I shouldn’t come here early but…

“Hey!” Jae waves at me from their table near the back corner of the room. “Oh man, do my eyes deceive me? Are you actually here?”

“Get over it, Jae,” I say as soon as I’m within hearing distance. I search the surroundings immediately for any sign of the rest of Jae’s housemates. Okay, fine. I look around to make sure Sungjin isn’t here. “I’m here. Can we not make a big deal out of it?”

“Hey!” He raises his hands in surrender. “Please take a chill pill. I’m just saying what a good surprise it is seeing you outside. Where there are people.”

“What are you doing here?” I cut him off before he gets carried away. “And who are you with?” Not the best of segues, but I’ve been out of the game for so long I have no idea how peopleing even works anymore.

“The band,” he answers nonchalantly.

That sets off an awful coiling in my gut and I sink into the nearest seat. “Yeah?”

“I’d have you know,” he starts smugly, “you’re looking at Studio J’s professional hottie-slash-guitar boy.”

“Congratulations,” I say. And mean it. That explains why he’s not wearing his usual hoodie and ripped jeans. Jae, in a dress shirt and slacks. I had thought I was imagining things but now it all makes sense. “I’m sorry I ever doubted you.”

“You're forgiven. Now enough about me.” Jae leans his elbow on the table and pushes his face towards me. From this angle, his eyes look huge behind his glasses. “You’ve been holding out on me. I’m beginning to question our friendship.”

I lean back and put more space between us. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Kitty Kat, my Kitty Kat. You’ve been holding out on me but now is the time for you to tell me everything. And I mean everything.”

“Now?” I squeak.

Jae takes pause. “Well, no. Not right now as I’m busy building a music career but tonight definitely. After our set.”

“I can’t—“

“Shush!”

“Seriously…I can’t. I came with someone—“

“What? Who?”

“My roommates!” I cut in before he gets any ideas. Now I begin to wonder how much Jae knows about Sungjin and Huiryong and if he knows what kind of mess I’m in. Or if he knows enough to put it all together the moment I mention the slightest detail.

Ugh.

So much for not wanting to think about Sungjin and Huiryong. In any context.

“I’m sure your roommates will understand. This is a matter of national emergency. And by this I mean you and Bob—“ He draws his two fingers together like two people next to each other. Very close to each other.

I slap his hands out of said conformation. “There is no me and him—“

“Ah, but the other night begs to differ—“

“Look, I’m sure he does that all the time—“

Jae scoffs. “You say that, but your eyes don’t believe it.”

“Your roommate’s obviously a nice guy—“

“Care to be specific?” Jae asks though I know he’s just being obnoxious. “Because I have four of them and they’re all pretty swell dudes.”

“Sungjin,” I answer through gritted teeth. “I’m sure Sungjin was just being a nice guy. There’s nothing there for you to sink your teeth in.”

“Oh, come on.” He leans so far back on his seat, I’m still wondering how he’s never fallen off anything. “You know that I know that Sungjinnie’s not like that. So out with it. I was right, wasn’t I? He’s so good for you.”

“And the fringe benefits of how all this will be even better for you are ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter