Star Power

Beauty Before Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyuna bit her nails.  It was a bad habit of hers, which she had yet to overcome since her parents’ divorce. 

“Hyuna-isshi, you can step into CEO Hong’s office,” signaled the secretary dressed in a blue uniform.

“Kamsahamnida.”

Hyuna stepped into the crystal glass office and sat down on a leather white recliner. 

Before she spoke, CEO Hong interrupted her thoughts.

“I think I know why you asked to talk to me. Is it because of Troublemaker?”

“Yes,” she nodded.

“I’ve read the internet reports and you don’t need to explain any further.  Hyuna you need to concentrate on your career not on JS.”

Hyuna grimaced.  That was not the answer she was expecting.

“Jang Hyunseung is a solo artist.”

“But what about Troublemaker?”  Hyuna insisted.  She had a right to know.  After all, she was part of the duo.

“Are you in a relationship with Jang Hyunseung?” 

In the time span that Hyuna had worked with Hyunseung, CEO Hong had never inquired about their relationship.

“No,” she replied since it was the truth.  They broke up a week ago. 

CEO Hong straightened his round glasses.

“Troublemaker is officially suspended.  I do not want you to get involved.”

His words sounded like those of her father if she had ever been close to him.  Coming from divorced parents, her mother made sacrifices for her to become an entertainer.  She ate cold noodles instead of warm rice at home for dinner for many nights.  Her brother couldn’t get the pair of sneakers he wanted for his birthday.  All their money was placed in furthering her career. 

She listened intently because she too needed to make a sacrifice and trust CEO Hong since he had her best interests at heart. 

“Hyuna, all you need to do is prove yourself with your music.  Go and finish your duo with Junghyung.  That will be your project for now and I will take care of the meddlesome reports.”

 

Two months later and Hyuna found herself ready to debut with Junghyung on the M-Net stage.  Junghyung and Hyuna practiced for four hours straight with the help of a choreographer from Los Angeles.  The famous choreographer worked with Justin Bieber and on American Idol.  He did not speak Korean and Junghyung who rapped in English had difficulty understanding his slang. 

The dancers took to the center stage. 

“Hyuna, you are doing excellent.  This is about expression Junghyung.  You need to bring out your inner artiste.”

Whatever that meant, thought Hyuna.  Junghyung wore his Ray Ban’s and Hyuna wondered how he could make out the moves in the dark studio.

“I need the interpreter here.  Yes, you,” he said pointing at the assistant choreographer.  “Tell Junghyung to twirl, free spin and pose behind Hyuna.” 

“I understand,” said Junghyung.  “No need to explain. I do English rap.”

 Junghyung twirled Hyuna in a circle and pushed her back as the front line of dancers moved across in front of her.

“No. No. No,” said the American choreographer with the hot-pink cropped sweatshirt.  “You need to let her shine. She spins front stage then you pose in the back. Now, try it again.”

Junghyung twirled Hyuna, pushed her back in a spin and extended his arms in front of her holding her back as he posed taking off his sunglasses towards the imaginary audience.  Hyuna stopped in the middle of the dance.  Her fans would hate the push back.  It was too aggressive.  

 “What is wrong?  Ask her what is wrong?” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter