69yen_! Your cheesecake is ready!

Cheesecake Archive

Fortune Favors the Bold

Description

When perfectionist Lee Chaerin manages to convince her best friend, Kwon Jiyong, to teach her about in order to avoid disappointing Teddy, things aren't as cut and dry as they were intended to be. Then again, things never are when the heart is involved.

Foreword

"If I had three wishes,
I would wish to trade lives,
With a person so lucky,
A man,
Your boyfriend.

Just to have one day of waking up beside you,
Looking into those beautiful eyes,
Tasting your morning lips.
To make slow love to you
'Til we collapse into each other's arms.
I want to watch you shower and
Help with the hard to reach areas.
I will make your breakfast and
Send you to work with a kiss and a smile.
I would love nothing more than to be that person
You come home to after work,
To greet with a hug.
We can talk over dinner . . .
Enjoy dessert 
much much later.
I want nothing more than to appreciate
The beautiful, kind, caring, gentle, honest, 
loyal and loving woman you are.

I would love the chance
To show you what you deserve and
Enjoy what he has.
If I had three wishes . . .
I would give away two, because
The only thing I want in this world,
Is one chance with you."

- Christelle S

 

for69yen_:

Title (3/5) -

Title is not generic, very unique, easy to understand. I love the title, but for now my only concern is that it's not completely clear yet - the connection to the story - since there's only 2 chapters so far. I believe we'll completely understand its relevance as the story goes on.


Description/Forward (10/10) -

For me, the main purpose of a description/foreword is to pique the reader's interest and to encourage them to continue reading on with your story and for this one, it works. We must keep in mind that many readers read the description/foreword to see if a story is worth reading.

For the foreword, putting a poem that is really relevant to the story is a good move. Personally, I am very attracted to abstract writing and theoretical questions because it stimulates a lot of thoughts for the reader. A++ on this move.


Plot (19/20) -

Originality (9/10) -

The idea of having *ehem* with your best friend just because you're worried that your boyfriend will be displeased is not new to me, yet not overused either. You can't see many stories in the market that is going towards this direction.

Believable (10/10) -

Absolutely BELIEVABLE. I believe the fact that Chaerin's innocent and a because throughout the course it really shows, and it's also obvious what Dragon's real feelings for her is in the story. Yep, I really believe what's going on.

Characters (26/30) -

Voice (10/10) -

The characters' voice is noticeably strong, especially in the beginning when they were talking about the plan. The reader can totally grasp Chaerin's desperation, as well as Dragon's feelings. We understand their thoughts and dialogues well, which is a relatively important aspect to any story.

Development (7/10) -

Since there's only 2 chapters so far, I feel like there is only small or close to no development for them at all. Don't fret, this is only because, again, the story is still progressing. With that being said, I'll only leave you some advice:

As you go on with the story, make sure to continue displaying their thoughts, feelings and views as clearly as possible, especially when your characters are going through a crisis or confusion. It will help show just how far they've come, their development, or in simple words - how they've changed throughout the story.

Personality (9/10) -

The both of them feels really alive in the story and I didn't have a hard time believing their point of view at all. Honestly, I understand Dragon's feelings and intentions towards Chaerin pretty well so far, but for Chaerin's side...I'm not so sure yet. Don't get me wrong, it's clear that she's innocent, a newbie in this field, confused but other than the fact that she thinks of Dragon as her best friend, what else is there to it? I wish to know more about her side. I hope her personality pops through the rest of the story, seeing that it's still to early to decide/judge. Keep going!

Setting (10/10) -

The setting is fine, and since it's focused on the for now, all there is, is the bedroom and where they've been talking in the first chapter. I have absolutely no problems with it though, looking forward to what else you'll come up with as the story goes on.

Mechanics (14/15) - 

Flow -

The pace is normal, not fast, not slow either. I do have one concern and since there's no other appropriate place to put it, I'll state it here.

Cliffhangers. In every chapter you have (just the two so far, but I get the sense that this is your style and you'll be doing this a lot in the future too) a cliffhanger. They can be really great weapons against disinterest towards your story, but may I also point out that it is also what I'd like to call, a 'sweet torture'. Throughout the first chapter, I've been thinking when they're gonna do it. During the second chapter, I've been waiting for the real action. And nothing. It suggests that I still have to wait for the 3rd chapter to be able to read it. Heck, who knows if Chaerin says Dragon by that time.

I'm pointing out that using cliffhangers can be advantageous and also disadvantageous at the same time. The readers don't want an uninteresting story, yet I'd also like to say that once in a while, you have to give them what they're thirsting for. That is my friendly reminder, yet sensing that you're heading for this direction through your style, there should be no problems in the future. Balance is highly recommended in anything.

Grammar/Vocab -

I have no problem with the grammar and the choice of words. Clear, not the simplest yet not the lavish-complicated type either. I read a lot of and I'm satisfied with how you chose to write this. Some stories get to 'it' immediately while others are just simply dragging you without any meaningful action. This one doesn't fit in either bad types and I'm grateful for that.

Misc. (10/10)
Enjoyability -

I enjoyed reading it, and the most important for me is that it didn't waste my time. I'm curious as to how the story will progress.

Satisfactory -

Putting aside everything I've said in this review, I am satisfied with the story and how it's progressing. There are no confusing side stories and the focus is definitely on the main characters which is somewhat important to me too (in some cases, we have to read annoying backstories and side notes of minor characters who don't really matter in that current chapter). Nice story overall, definitely recommended.

Total (92/100)

I had a pleasure working with this one, so here's a summary of everything I liked and thought could use some work:

-I hope that as the story goes on, it's relevance to the title becomes clearer.
-The narrative voice is particularly strong and the character's voice is clear. The setting is well built and personalities are so far interesting.
-Cliffhangers add a great amount of spice in the process of reading, yet must be used in moderation also to prevent ticking off potential readers. Just a friendly reminder :)
-Pace is steady, choice of vocabulary is easy to follow and overall I am satisfied with the story.
-BrokenWinged would like to send you a warm hug for trusting our shop with your review! I hope you are just as satisfied with the review as I am with your story!