Douxsoleil! Your cheesecake is ready!

Cheesecake Archive

Allegro: Young Blood and Electric Blue Skies

tJD7Ijr.png

 

First of all, I'd like to express how happy I am to be doing this review again for douxsoleil, or Bell, which means that I have done justice to my past review. Also, this story is musically-titled so I am very happy to share this story to all of you.


Title (5/5) - 

The title(s) is very original since they are derived from musical terms (i.e. allegro con fuoco / allegro means lively or fast and con fuoco means with fire) which I don't see commonly. The titles are definitely relative to the story and the feel of each chapter, which as a musician and reader, I really liked. I understand what each meant, though for a normal reader ... they'd have to research the meaning of each title.

Description/Forward (10/10) - 

The short quote really caught my attention and noticing it's relevance to the title made me really interested. The brief description also made me interested to know more about Wonwoo's personality. I found it really intriguing just thinking about how Seulgi would affect a player like him. It's short but very precise and like I always say, a description/foreword has to catch people's attention because the main purpose is to convince people to read your story. It's like reading the back cover synopsis of a book at a bookstore before deciding to buy. Also, I am listening to Seventeen right now which I recommend to readers when they read this. It's really relaxing.

Plot (19/20) -

 

Originality - Let's be honest, the plot of the story is not very unique and original but it is really true to humanity. It's a story about an average guy like any of us are, told in a differently good way.

Believable - This is the aspect that I liked the most about this story. It's 100% believable and realistic. Unlike those other stories that jump from here to there, avoiding details that are really essential - this story was told very clearly and the plot is almost flawless. I had no confusions before, during and after reading the story.

Characters (29/30) -

Voice -
 In my first review, I emphasized how good your narrative voice was and I should have expected better with the character voice. It's so strong and it really speaks the character's insights, thus I understood EVERY SINGLE THING in their head and normally I don't because I'm the type to dig for plot holes along the way. 

Development - The development is spot on. It's really obvious how Wonwoo grew, from ten years back to the present. The thing I like about this story is that not only the main characters developed, but also everyone else. The friends, the gang, the family and supporting characters, everyone developed. I like how no one was left out.

Personality - Everyone had unique personalities, I must say. I don't know if it's just me who overlooked this, but I still want to say it.

I think I was able to digest Soojung's personality better than Seulgi's which is good and not so good at the same time either. Don't get me wrong, I understand both of their personalities and I got the difference between the two of them pretty clearly. I think it's just because we were looking through Wonwoo's vision of love towards Seulgi. Soojung's got engraved at the back of my head and well, nevertheless I still love everything. L. O. V. E.

Setting (10/10) - The setting is very well built, especially the flashbacks and the time which is commonly overlooked by most writers and they tend to focus on the place and scenery alone. I love how it's so clear when you read of something from the past and it doesn't get mixed up with what's going on in the present, yet totally relevant.

Mechanics (15/15) - 

Flow - The pace was ADMIRABLE. It went along without leaving questions in my mind and the flow was really solid, clearly the story is under control and everything was well thought of.

Grammar/Vocab - Minor to no errors at all. Choice of words was great and it wasn't difficult to follow. Grammar and Vocab issues didn't become a hindrance to me enjoying the story.

Misc. (10/10)

Enjoyability - I SUPER ENJOYED THIS STORY. Who cares about those readers used to getting spoon-fed and wasn't able to tag along?

Satisfactory - Super happy for the way it progressed. If I keep on gushing how I love this story, we'll never get anywhere so instead, I will use this space to express my opinion.

LENGTH shouldn't be your BASIS of a great story. As the saying goes, don't judge a book by it's format or simply reap what you sow. If you give up immediately after judging from the chunk of paragraphs that greet you, then I'm telling you that you're missing out on a great story. If you are diligent enough to follow through a 7-chaptered story with approximately 50,000 words, I guarantee that your time will not be wasted. Just think of it as a story that consists of 25 chapters with 2000 words each. Sometimes, it's just mind over matter. Be the reader you want people to be towards your own stories.

Total (98/100)

9:34 PM