Exposed

Hold Me Tight - (VKook/BTS)

Ⓣaehyung was sure his heart skipped a beat. He didn’t mean Jungkook.

But he had to think for a second. Sure, he had Hoseok’s number as they’ve been friends for a couple of years now, but would Hoseok be angry with him if he just gave his number away to someone he didn’t give permission to?

But then again, it’d be quite amusing for Taehyung to see him frustrated and trying to scold the blond male, even though nothing Hoseok could say that actually make him frustrated himself, or sad. Hoseok was a good friend, and Taehyung knew he was never seriously actually going to hate him for real. Unless Taehyung actually crossed that line. But giving his colleague his number wasn’t crossing the line, now was it?

“Sure,” he muttered as he showed his friend’s number on the screen of his phone, holding it still as Jimin rapidly noted it down on his own. “By the way, do you, perhaps, know Jungkook?” he asked, just in case.

“Doesn’t everyone know Jeon Jungkook?” Jimin chuckled as he stuffed his phone back in his pocket.

“What do you mean?” Taehyung asked, flushing, trying not to expose himself that he knew Jungkook quite well, even though they shared their first words to the other just yesterday.

Jimin studied him. “Well, he’s the perfect role model, isn’t he? He’s the perfect student that everyone adores. People look at him like he’s an idol here.”

“But you don’t go to our school,” Taehyung frowned. He understood quite well that people at their school knew who Jungkook was, but other’s outside school?

His colleague’s smile grew wider. “I’m homeschooled, so no. But everywhere I go, I hear someone talking about him. Especially girls our age and younger.”

“Everyone looks up to him,” Taehyung muttered, mostly to himself than Jimin.

“Yeah, everyone does, actually. He’s perfect, you know.” Taehyung stiffened, but Jimin just sighed. “But I don’t like perfect. That’s why I don’t really like him that much. And he’s definitely not my type.”

Taehyung felt guilty for being relieved. He didn’t want Jimin to be attracted to him as well, but if Jungkook took interest in him, then that’d mean he’d be sad if he knew Jimin’s feelings.

Don’t think about it; don’t think about it.

 

The next day, Taehyung was nervous about a test they were supposed to receive from some weeks ago. It was a Math test, and the blond male was afraid he didn't do too well.

"Why are you so nervous? You never get a bad grade," Hoseok commented on the shaking being beside him in class as the teacher handed out one at a time.

"Compared to you, yes," he muttered. He didn't care if he sounded rude; Hoseok should know by now that grades meant a lot to him. 

Hoseok held over his chest like he had just been shot. "Ouch!" he suddenly yelled, causing every student in the room to turn their heads in the two male's direction.

"What's the matter Jung Hoseok?" the teacher asked, worried if he was hurt.

"Taehyung just broke my heart, again, but no big deal." He made everyone laugh - everyone except from Taehyung of course.

"Shut up," he whispered to him.

Finally it was his turn to receive his test back. As the teacher laid the piece of paper on his desk, she gave him a small pat on the shoulder before moving onto the students in front of them.

His eyes found his grade immediately, which made his mouth drop.

This, of course, didn't go unnoticed by Hoseok, and he quickly stole the paper out of his friend's hands and glanced at the grade as well. "A hundred points!" he yelled out amazed, and of course the students turned around again. "Taehyung! You did it!"

Grumpily, Taehyung snapped the paper back with a glare. "Thanks for announcing it to everyone," he commented sarcastically.

"You're welcome," he grinned back, and finally he glanced at his own test. "I got sixty-one points," he sighed, "well, better than last time!"

 

During lunch break, Taehyung and Hoseok walked together to the cafeteria. The blond one was too happy at the moment to even care about Hoseok's lame jokes, and even laughed along sometimes. It always amazed the other, but he was glad his friend was finally in a good mood. That was rare.

"Oh, Taehyung!" a voice called out just as Taehyung was laughing at a surprisingly funny joke his friend just had told. He turned around to see who the voice belonged to.

"Jungkook," he automatically muttered when he spotted the perfect being in front of him.

"Wow, that's the first time I've seen you laugh so much," he grinned. His remark made Taehyung blush madly, not even daring to smile again. "What? Don't stop!" he teased, and he joined them over to the cafeteria. "How are you anyways? You seem happy today," Jungkook asked curiously.

Taehyung wasn't planning on telling Jungkook about the test. He felt embarrassed to be this happy for just once; and it was more embarrassing, considering it was the top student who was asking.

Hoseok, on the other side, didn't mind telling his friend's situation. "He just scored a hundred points on the math test for the first time!" he yelled out, making sure more people than just the three of them heard.

"Hoseok!" Taehyung finally yelled, irritated by his behaviour.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked, startled at Taehyung's anger. "There's nothing wrong with being happy about that. I get happy when I just get eighty points."

Taehyung stared at him. Liar. Your parents would kill you. "It's not that!" he yelled back. "It’s just... It's embarrassing," he admitted, even though he regretted it immediately.

"Why is that embarrassing?" he asked softly.

"Because - " Taehyung hesitated. He should probably just keep quiet. "Because..." But when Jungkook stared at him with such begging eyes, he couldn't keep his mouth shut. "Because you're the top student. You easily get top scores. It's embarrassing that you see how happy I am by just one top score, and even for the first time in my life," Taehyung ranted.

Hoseok, who was standing a bit further back, had literally dropped his mouth open. This was the first time he had seen his friend this frustrated, and he was definitely starting to become suspicious.

Jungkook on the other hand was smiling like an idiot. "Taehyung, I'm flattered you see me as a top student, but I don't get top grades easily, you know? I study just as hard as you. I don't get smart just overnight. I work hard for getting good grades, and you'll realise that your grades will raise up if you keep up your studying." He paused for a moment, but decided to just keep on walking to get his lunch. The two others followed after; Taehyung was mentally praying their topic had dropped.

When they sat down at an available table and started eating, Jungkook wouldn't stop staring at Taehyung, which he of course noticed, and couldn't help but to blush. Hoseok mentally noted down what he just witnessed.

"I should probably study harder now though," Jungkook grinned, which made both the males to glance at him curiously, "seems like I'm about to get a rival."

Taehyung's eyes widened at his remark. Did he just say...?

"Oooh," Hoseok teased as he shoved Taehyung gently on the arm. Taehyung only shoved him back, but he didn't dare to look back up at the other male, which he knew was still staring at him, and he didn't want to risk blushing more than he already was.

When the school bell rang, literally saving Taehyung's cheeks for burning up, he immediately stood up. "See you," he muttered as he disappeared from sight, ignoring the calls from Hoseok.

The rest of the day passed quickly as Taehyung continued to ignore his friend in class, as he tried to play with him instead of studying, and just like that, the school day was already over.

"Hey, Taehyung, wanna walk home together?" Hoseok asked with a grin as he ran up to him.

Taehyung stared at him blankly. "No."

Hoseok stopped walking and let his friend just continue on, a bit sad from his rejection. As he started walking again, he saw Jungkook sprinting past him and up to the shy boy.

"Hey Taehyung!" he smiled sweetly at him. "Do you want to walk home together? I believe we walk in the same direction."

Hoseok silently snorted to himself. He's gonna reject y- "O - Okay." His eyes widen. Did he just reject him, but accepted Jungkook? He didn't even know Jungkook that well. Was he too scared to say no, or did he want to befriend him?

But Hoseok had witnessed Taehyung being so different whenever Jungkook was around. His face and ears were always red in his presence; of course Hoseok had noticed. He became either too quiet, or too talkative when he was with them. And Taehyung would always glare at Hoseok whenever he exposed something about him to Jungkook.

Could he...actually like him?

 

Taehyung was nervous to death. This wasn't like how when they were alone in the hospital in his mother's room. Now they were actually walking together, alone, on their way home.

"What are you thinking about?" Jungkook asked to break the silence.

Taehyung tensed up right away. Don't embarrass yourself, he repeated in his head. "Oh, uh, nothing. Just about yo - I MEAN YOGHURT."

Jungkook giggled. "You hungry?"

The blond male couldn't get any redder. Yoghurt? Really Taehyung? "Y - Yeah."

Another silence fell along until Jungkook's mouth opened again, which almost made Taehyung sweat nervously. "Can I ask you something?" he asked.

"S - Sure", he replied.

"Why do you dye your hair?"

. "Oh, I, er," he started, trying to buy himself some time. Because you like it.

"You do it because I like it?"

Taehyung's eyes widen. "W - What?" Did I just say that out loud?

"You just said it's because I like it?" Taehyung didn't dare talking anymore. He wasn't going to risk embarrassing himself any further. "How did you know I like it when people dye their hair?" Just keep your mouth shut Taehyung; keep it shut! "Well, I do like your hair," Jungkook laughed. "You really suit it, so I think you should keep going."

"Tha - Thanks."

It was finally about time they stood in front of Taehyung's house, although Jungkook had to walk further along the way.

"Well, see you on Monday," Taehyung said quickly to escape the awkwardness.

"Unless I pay a visit to the diner," Jungkook called after when Taehyung was already by the front door. He pretended like he didn't hear him and quickly unlocked the door and jumped inside.

What a stressful day, he thought to himself. I thought I was going to die several times.