Let's still be friends

Hold Me Tight - (VKook/BTS)

Ⓦhen Taehyung exited his house to go to school, he had completely forgotten Jungkook was waiting outside for him to tag along and help him. As he tried hiding his surprised gasp, he only ignored his small greeting, although he couldn’t exactly walk faster anymore.

“Are you angry with me?” Jungkook asked as he approached him and walked along beside him.

Taehyung sighed. “No.”

Jungkook still stared at him. “I can tell you are.”

“I said I’m not,” he barked back, but it only raised Jungkook’s suspiciousness.

“You really can’t handle being rejected, can you?” he snapped back, and Taehyung stopped walking immediately and glared at Jungkook.

“I can’t handle? I’ve been handling it ever since these stupid feelings came! You have no idea, you jerk! I’ve been suppressing my feelings for a long time, and when you happily presented your girlfriend to me, I was forcing myself to pretend like everything was okay!”

Jungkook was speechless - Taehyung had never talked back to him like that before, or admitting his feelings for that matter. “How could I know you had feelings for me? I thought you were my friend. Stuff like that happens in movies only! Am I supposed to be a mind reader?” he asked.

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “Can you go, please? I want to be alone.”

Jungkook glared at him, refusing to listen to him. “There you go again!” he shouted. “Running away because you’re a chicken who can’t handle a little argument. Is it that hard to just talk to me? I’m not an that doesn’t give a about you, you know!”

“I know that!” Taehyung barked. “But I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Because you’re a baby!”

“Whoa, what’s happening here?” someone interrupted them.

“Nothing Hoseok, stay out of it,” Jungkook snapped at him, which surprised both their friend and Taehyung; Jungkook was always nice to people.

“We’re done. Come on Hoseok,” Taehyung muttered as he started limping, and that’s when Hoseok realised he was on crutches.

“Oh my god!” he gasped. “What happened Tae?”

“A car drove over my leg,” he answered quickly, hoping Jungkook had disappeared, but to his usual irony luck, he was still tailing behind.

“Why are you arguing anyways?” Hoseok asked, glancing back at the male from behind.

“He knows,” Taehyung sighed.

“Oh, so everyone knew except from me?” Jungkook yelled from behind, but Taehyung ignored.

“Knew what?”

“That I like him,” Taehyung muttered, “he knows now.”

“Did you confess?” Hoseok gasped. “Did you have to do it now? He has a girlfriend, you know.”

“I didn’t confess,” Taehyung rolled his eyes, “he figured it out.”

“,” he mumbled as he glanced back at Jungkook again, who was staring at Taehyung’s back all the way to the school as he walked a bit further behind.

“Where did you disappear to yesterday anyways?” Taehyung asked his friend when they reached their classroom, and Jungkook was finally out of sight.

“I went home after I saw you and Jungkook were suddenly gone,” he explained.

“Idiot,” Taehyung sighed, “he forced me to tell him why I was avoiding him and stuff. It was a hell.” Taehyung had to stop and think. His worst nightmare had come. “He’s going to hate me now, if he doesn’t already.”

Hoseok laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. “If he did, he wouldn’t follow us all the way to the school, making sure you’d be okay.”

“That’s because he feels responsible for the accident, not me.”

“Stop being an idiot Taehyung,” Hoseok sighed whilst face-palming himself. “He obviously care about you, whether he realises it himself or not. He might not have romantic feelings like you do, but he does in fact care about you, way more than that Areum girl. Or else he wouldn’t have let her go yesterday and stayed just to talk to you after your shift.”

Taehyung had totally ignored this. Hoseok was right. Jungkook cared for Taehyung, even if the feelings weren’t returned the same way. The blond male was just too scared to give himself false hopes that he could actually form a friendship with his crush, but he hadn’t realised their friendship had already been formed. Maybe it was Taehyung’s turn to be courageous and stop being so hard on himself.

He had to face the fact that Jungkook didn’t fancy him and probably never would, but he could at least treasure their friendship; he did in fact enjoy their time together, and he didn’t want to lose Jungkook, even if it was as friends only.

“I need to talk to Jungkook after class.”

Hoseok smiled and nodded to him, and finally they could concentrate in class, although for the first time, their focus were switched where Hoseok was paying attention to class, whilst Taehyung’s mind were wandering around.

 

When lunch finally appeared, Taehyung hurriedly exited the classroom and limped his way to Jungkook’s classroom to find him.

A lot of students were moving towards him to the cafeteria, which made it harder for him to move forwards, and one student managed to make him trip with the crutches; he was already falling, but when he had shut his eyes, he realised he never met the floor.

He opened his eyes, only to find his legs were still on the floor, and he met with another pair of eyes he had been searching for the past minutes.

“Careful,” Jungkook said, but it came more out as a whisper, like he was afraid he’d be scaring the other away if he talked any louder. But that wasn’t the case anymore - Taehyung wasn’t going to run away any longer.

“Tha - thanks,” he said as the other male helped him standing steadily.

“Why aren’t you on your way to the cafeteria?” Jungkook asked.

“I was looking for you,” Taehyung confessed, which seemed to have surprised the other, but his smile subtly grew.

“Really? You aren’t avoiding me anymore?” he asked whilst crossing his arms over his chest sassily.

“No,” Taehyung muttered, “I’m sorry about before. I know it’s not your fault, and I’m not mad at you.”

“I’m glad. Can we please go back to being friends? If that’s okay with you?” Taehyung nodded with a smile. He was glad Jungkook wasn’t uncomfortable knowing he had feelings for him, but still wanted to be friends with him.

 

Taehyung had to take some days off of his work. He surely wasn’t in shape to work for now, and all he had to do was to relax at home and heal the fastest way possible.

After school, Jungkook helped him on the way home, and he also decided to stay with him.

“I’ll just change,” Taehyung said as he brought some baggy clothes with him towards the bathroom, and like the day before, Jungkook waited by the sofa.

He had waited for nearly ten minutes, which made him start to worry. He got up and walked towards the bathroom door. “Taehyungie, are you okay?” he asked whilst knocking on the door.

“Ye - yeah!” he yelled back, but he seemed to be struggling with something.

“Do you need help?” Jungkook asked.

“NO!”

Jungkook rolled his eyes. “I’m coming in. I’ll help you!”

Luckily the door wasn’t locked, and Jungkook opened, only to be met with half Taehyung standing by the sink.

“I - I said I’m fine. Just wait outside,” he stuttered, but Jungkook ignored him and snapped his shirt away from his arms, opened it further and put it over his head and helped his arms inside it. Taehyung had such bad balance he could barely stand still to drag his own shirt over his head, but when Jungkook helped him he could hold onto the wall and sink better. But the worst part was his pants.

“I’ll manage, so just go outside,” Taehyung tried chasing him away, but Jungkook only ignored his begging. “Jungkook - “

“Just shut up already and let me help you,” he interrupted him and made his pants ready and made Taehyung hold onto his shoulder for support.

Taehyung felt super embarrassed about Jungkook helping him dressing up, especially his pants, but Jungkook didn’t seem bothered by it at all. The blond male realised it was embarrassing for him because he did have romantic feelings for the other, but the other male wasn’t bothered one bit because he didn’t look at him in another way because he only saw him as a friend.

“Thanks,” Taehyung muttered, still blushing, but avoid eye contact.

Jungkook grinned back. “No problem.”


 

As for the following weeks, Jungkook was following Taehyung like an obedient puppy that needed to help its owner. Although Taehyung was starting to get better and didn’t need his crutches anymore – though he was still limping because of the slight pain – Jungkook was still tailing him any chance he got.

He also came to his house after school and didn’t leave until Taehyung had to literally chase him out as he was going to sleep. During the weekends Jungkook even suggested spending the night so he could be with him all the time, but Taehyung managed to convince him he was only overreacting and that he was managing himself just fine without being guarded at night.

“There’s my Taehyungie!” Hoseok greeted him as he found his best friend inside the classroom before the class started.

“What’s up with you?” Taehyung said and frowned at him.

“Oh my god, haven’t you heard?” Hoseok gasped, although it was very exaggerated, but when weren’t Hoseok like that?

“Heard what?” Taehyung asked curiously.

“Apparently yesterday, Jungkook and Areum broke up.”

Taehyung’s frown deepened. “Jungkook was with me last night,” he said, “but he did leave earlier than usual…” Taehyung had to think of how Jungkook behaved.

“He didn’t seem as happy as usual though, and he was on his phone all the time.”

All of sudden, the door to their classroom bursted open, and in came a very angry Areum. She stomped her way towards Taehyung and Hoseok, and when she finally reached them, she was standing right in front of their desk. Taehyung was about to stand up, but before he could, she slapped him right across the cheek.