Attacked

Threw Me Back To The Wolves

Today is the day. I bit my lip in nervousness, as my hair stylist continued spraying cans of hairspray on my hair and the makeup artist worked her craft on me. I jolt as the makeup artist barked orders at me to close my eyes so that she could smear some eyeshadow on my eyelids, and my fashion coordinator tossed a sleek black jacket at me. My makeup artist and hair stylist stopped their work so that I could put on the jacket. My manager walked to me, and passed me a sheet of paper. I wasn't surprised. The paper consisted of model answers for me to memorise before the press conference. The company did not want me to damage my reputation any further by saying things that I was not supposed to say.

The company highly publicised this press conference. For now, under their orders, I have sworn off social media until I got back to work. I tried my best to memorise the script I was given. Strangely, I was able to remember the contents of it. Maybe because I was so used to it in the past, that it had became my second instinct to do so. I have to admit, initially it was difficult for me to conduct unfiltered interviews in China. I was so used to having my manager proof read all the interview questions, and having perfect answers at the back of my mind. I was feeling pretty comfortable as I internalised the words on the script. But I also feared that my fans would see through this charade and hate me for not being real.

"Tao, don't blank out like this. You have another fifteen minutes before the start of the press conference." My manager tapped my shoulder. I nodded, and looked at the mirror. Well, this is the look that I was so familiar with for around four years of my life. I had grey contact lens on, and my cat-like eyes accentuated through the use of makeup. My skin was flawless thanks to the facial I had, and with the use of make up. It has been quite a while since I felt like this. It was a strange and intrusive feeling. I felt so nervous and anxious. My manager passes me a couple of anti-anxiety pills, and being used to taking such pills since debut, I popped them in easily. I felt numb, but unafraid.

My manager and the rest of my crew wheels me out of the waiting room. I was greeted with a couple of executives outside my room. Their faces still disturb me, as I imagine their faces twisted in greed. The director of management, the man who convinced me to sign the new contract was here as well. His usual smirk plastered on his face. "Are you ready, Zitao?"

Looking serious, I nodded. "Come on, don't be so stiff, Zitao. No one likes an unapproachable idol. You must look happy." He walked to me and was about to ruffle my hair. My hair stylist looked at him with a pleading look in her eyes. "Alright, alright. I won't ruin your hardwork." He smirked, as he stepped back. "Let's go, Zitao." He walked ahead with two other board of directors. 

I ran through the answers in my mind, as I heard the director speak about the agenda of this press conference to the paparazzi. He finally introduced me, and I manager wheels me to the front of the room, right beside the directors. I squint my eyes slightly because of the influx of flashing cameras, but my idol training caused me to open my eyes immediately to face the cameras. The director nods at me, and gestures for me to speak up. 

"I have reached a settlement with the company. They have agreed to let me learn and work as a music producer for them while my injuries heal. As an idol, I will be on hiatus. But thanks to the company, I will be able to work closely with singers and rappers I greatly respect, composing and producing good music for their fans. My solo debut in Korea will be discussed further with the company once I get well enough. I have submitted the papers to retract my lawsuit." I said, looking straight into the cameras. I felt like an actor, just reading lines off a script. "I'm excited to start working on new tracks, and I hope I'll have your support." I bow deeply. From the corner of my eye, I could see the executives and managers grinning widely and clapping their hands.

"What Tao said was right. Our company will be helping him out in his recovery, and we have reached a consensus. We hope that the media will portray us in a favourable light, and support Tao." The director commanded all the attention in the room. "We will now be taking a few questions."

Immediately after saying that, the room erupted in chatter. There were many hands raised up in the air. I twiddled my thumbs nervously. One reporter asked, "Have you met any of the SM singers ever since you signed this new contract? Were you forced to do so? Why did you retract your lawsuit suddenly?" 

My throat went dry, but I answered the questions based on my memory. "Yes, I have met Zhoumi-hyung and a few others. No, I was not forced to do so. It was a good opportunity, so I just went ahead and took it. The company has given me conditions that I'm currently satisfied with, so we are going to enjoy a good partnership." I answered a few other common questions, before a random reporter asked me this question I was dreading all day.

"What about your former labelmates, Wu Yifan and Luhan? Did they express their support for you? What do they think about your choice, and will they consider going into talks with the company for new contracts?" 

I darted my eyes to look at the director. He gave me a firm stare, and nudged me gently to answer the question. "Luhan-hyung is supportive. I have not talked to Kris-hyung ever since he left the company. My apology still stands, and I hope we will be able to sit down and talk. As for the contracts-"

My director cuts in. "We will consider offering the contracts to Luhan and Kris if they are willing to get into contact with us, and not hide behind their lawyers all the time. We believe that Tao is making a great choice, and we will be offering him support in his career every step of the way, with or without Luhan and Kris. The company will still proceed on with the lawsuits against Luhan and Kris if they continue to be so aggressive. Thank you for coming to the press conference today. Tao has to rest, so we will be making a move first." He bowed to the crowd, and I followed suit. 

Somehow, the director seemed pretty mad and paranoid. He seemed almost afraid that my stand would waver. Secretly, I wished that Luhan and Kris would not accept the company's offer. The director seemed to have something against them, and both Lu-ge and Kris are both doing well without the company. I, on the other hand, with my terrible injuries would not be able to survive long in this industry without the support of a huge company like this one. I hope I'll be able to see Kris soon. He did say that he would get Lu-ge to set up a coffee date. I really want to explain myself to him.

A/N : Probably a Taoris reunion next chapter! Sorry for the late update :3 Thanks for reading!