Choice

Threw Me Back To The Wolves

Zhoumi helps to push my wheelchair to the management office. I can feel the cold beads of perspiration on my palms, and my hands were cold in fear and nervousness. I have no idea what is going to happen, but hopefully it will end on a good note. Zhoumi flashes me a smile, and squeezes my shoulder gently to comfort me. I smiled nervously back, and knocked on the door apprehensively. 

"Come in." 

Zhoumi twists the doorknob, and opens the door for me. He wheels me in. I was greeted by the Head of Management. He was in a good mood, and was giving me a smile so wide that it was making me even more nervous. I bow in respect towards him. "Um.. I'm just here to settle things..? I heard from the news that the company wishes to come to a settlement with me. Also, with all due respect, I would like to know the meaning of the flowers sent to my hospital ward, and the official statement the company has released." I start off feeling unconfident, but as I talked about the issue, I slowly gain confidence.

"Come, Zitao. Let's not just talk about official business." He offers me a cup of coffee that his secretary brewed for the both of us. I accepted it hesitantly when he ed the mug into my hands. "We are still on good terms, right? Don't make things so bitter." He chuckles slightly, and sips on his coffee. I felt anger. Good terms? Since when? The company made it very clear that they were going to go at it with me till the very end when they blocked my videos on Youtube, and continued on the lawsuit, denying my every suggestion of either modifying the contract, or coming to a settlement. 

"Right, sir." My lips tighten to a thin line. "I'm just here because I want to put all the speculations to rest. It's not fair for both parties if we continue to drag this out." I put down the mug of coffee on the coffee table, with the contents completely untouched. 

His smile dropped, and I could feel his mood sink. He forced himself to smile, but to no avail. "Zitao, you know that we value you, right? That's why we scouted you with the intention of having you debut in EXO. So you can imagine the hurt you caused everyone when you left just like Luhan and Kris."

"Value me? If the company valued me, I would have as many opportunities knocking on my door as the others. I would have been able to treat my injuries. With all due respect, sir, I would hardly think that it's my fault for leaving. I regret saying what I said about both Luhan and Kris when they left. I was young and emotional, and your greedy minds capitalised on that. All of you never cared. So what's with the sudden change in mind? What is it that you desire, before you'll agree to nullify my contract? As you know, I won't be able to dance for a year. I'm useless to the entertainment industry. Shouldn't you be eager to throw me away like garbage?" The volume of my voice rises as I gradually got more agitated. 

"Now, now Zitao. Don't say such things." I could see that his patience was wearing thin. "I'm here to propose a solution that can make us all happy." I arched my eyebrow in interest. "The company is willing to modify your contract, provided that you stay with us."

"What? After all that, you want me to stay with this company? After all I did to set up my own studio in China.." My knuckles turn white when I grip the sides of my wheelchair in anger. "The company could have easily modified my contract last time, but only now you're bringing it up? After this became so public, and after I tried more than eight times to modify the contract? There's no way I'll accept anything less than a contract nullification.

"Listen, Zitao. We never said that we wanted you back in the group. Fans are still angry at you for leaving, so as every good company do not want, we do not want bad reputation as well." He taps the desk with his fingers. "We are proposing for you to work for us as a music producer. Isn't it great? You get to work with famous singers, continue living your dream and putting your mark in the industry. You also get to rest, and recover your legs. The lawsuit will also be over, and your reputation will get better in Korea. We can also steadily build up to a solo debut, and spread the Z.Tao brand all over Asia." He persuades. "We will give you full creativity control, but of course, just like every contract, there are conditions."

"What conditions..?" My mouth becomes dry. What they are proposing right now, seemed like the perfect plan for me. 

"Well, we are aware that you have a studio in China. We want to buy a forty percent stake of it from you. If that's too much, we'll even cut it down to a thirty five percent stake." He hurriedly adds, "Look at Lay. We gave him his own independent studio in China, and we interfere with nothing. We own a fifty percent stake of Lay's studio."

"Why would you want anything from my studio?

"It's to ensure both parties get to benefit. We'll be able to provide you the best equipment, and the best manpower. Since the company will be helping you expand your brand, it's only right we get something in return. I got a lawyer to draft out a new contract. We can take a song from your Chinese album, translate it into Korean, and promote it as your solo debut once you get better. Doesn't that sound tempting? We are only offering it to you, not Luhan, and not Kris." He opens up a file, with my new contract filed within it. "All you have to do, is sign this." 

Should I...? Has the management really changed? What they are proposing now is highly tempting. It seemed perfect. It allows me to be creative, to heal, and promised me exposure once I have fully recovered. I can continue working in the industry, and I highly doubt that as a music producer, I'll be needed to interact with my old teammates. "Will you ever offer this settlement to Luhan and Kris too?"

"We might bring it up to them in the next court hearing, but I don't think they will be very receptive. They are still quite aggressive. I'm sure you're more mature, Zitao. You know what's good for you. You'll be living your dream once again. Don't be worried about those fans that still bear a grudge against you. There's nothing our company can't fix. All you do is to sign this new contract." 

He taps on the dotted lines with the pen, and continues to egg me on. "Do it, Zitao." Once again, I'm at the crossroad. What should I do?

A/N : What do yall think about this story development? Do let me know your opinion, and thank you for reading! :)