Convinced

Threw Me Back To The Wolves

My hands trembled as I picked up the pen. "That's right, Zitao. Sign it."

"I.. I don't know. I don't think that I can do it." I looked up at him. "I don't think I'll be strong enough to deal with the hate. Also, Luhan and Duizhang. I don't want to disappoint them and betray them once again. I'm not a hypocrite." 

"You're not being a hypocrite, Zitao. Do you think your fans will continue staying with you after they find out that you'll not be there for a year? Not producing music for them to enjoy?" He presses on. "This is a tough industry to be in, and I'm offering you help to survive and be popular. Tell me, when have I not done what I promised to do? I promised to make all the groups in this company famous, and have I not done that? With our many publicists, and capable employees, there's nothing we can't do." 

"But I'm afraid of being labelled as a traitor. I don't want my Hailangs to be disappointed in me." I bit my lip in hesitation.

"Put it that way. You're just expanding your fanbase, and bringing music to more people. You can create any kind of music you want, but only for now, it will be sang by singers you respect and like. Isn't that good? Not only will we have Hailangs in China, we will grow to have Hailangs all over Asia. If this contract works out, I'll offer it to both Luhan and Kris as well. In fact, I can promise that I'll help Kris expand to Hollywood and let him act all he wants." 

Hearing what he promised, and hearing what he could give made me feel so tempted to just sign the contract. I read the last few clauses of the contract, and it states that I'll be able to talk with the boss, and modify the contract with him if I deemed necessary in the future. It promised so many good things, including allowing me to produce music for anyone I want, in both Chinese and Korean, and promising me a solo debut in Korea, which can be further expanded to other places. This company can help me regain back my reputation in Korea. Right now, I'm only restricted to within China because of the lawsuit, and because of the hate I'm receiving. If I signed this contract, it is a public settlement, and they promised me that they will help me with what I need. They will also help me in areas regarding my studio. It's a win-win situation for me.

"Zitao..." He moves to grasp my hand. "Since the day of debut, I have always been the one who was nice to you, no? I helped you speak up to the other board of directors, and you have always trusted in me, right?" He looks at me straight in the eye. This man was who I relied on when I have not yet talked to Duizhang and the others. Should I trust him again once more? He has never really lied to me. It was the other management directors who made life difficult for me, and forbade my treatment. "Trust me once again, no?" His hand rested on my thigh, as he whispered into my ear.

"Can I talk this out with my parents?" His mouth curves into a smirk, as he hands me his cellphone.

"Sure, go ahead, Zitao." 

I phoned my mother using his phone. She was initially worried about me, and wanted to fly over to see me immediately, but I convinced her otherwise. She was busy running my father's company back in China, which was facing some financial difficulties. "So what do you think, mum? Should I agree?" My father takes the phone away from my mother, which I found slightly strange.

"Of course, son. Anything you like. From what I see, the management seemed to have improved a great deal. As long as I don't have to go down to Korea and talk to them anymore about modifying your contract, you should go ahead and sign it." 

"O-Oh, really? You're not worried at all?" I questioned my father. It was slightly weird that he was not fiercely asking me more questions on this new contract of mine.

"Yes. Just do your best, son. Don't give up so easily. Your mother and I have to hang up now. We have a meeting in another fifteen minutes, as we just got a new investor that can help us with our business." With a click, the phone line gets cut off. 

"So what did your parents say, Zitao?" He nudges the pen towards me in an all knowing way. "Just sign it, Zitao. No harm done, no? You'll gain so much... Benefit so much... Regain your old friends once again."

"You'll not lie to me again, will you?" I slowly pick up the pen. 

"Of course not." He picks up his phone and starts typing several text messages. "I already got your lodgings settled in Korea, got you your own personal stylist and publicist. I also got you the best manager we can offer. With your parents' agreement, we already offered a free plane ticket back to China for your manager who's currently waiting in your car. In fact, your car shouldn't be here anymore. We had him drive it back, and replaced it with our company's car."

He seemed so reliable and so honest this time. With a deep breath, I signed my name on the dotted line. He immediately takes the contract away from me. He was grinning widely. "Good job, Zitao. You should go back to the hospital and rest. I'll have your new manager update you on when we are going to hold the press conference about this issue."

I felt a strange twist in my gut. Have I done the right thing? But this time, I'm in better playing condition. I should be fine, right..? He won't lie to me, will he? He presses a button on his desk, and a well built man immediately walks in. "This is your new manager, Zitao. He will be bringing you back to the hospital." The man bows slightly, before moving to help me push my wheelchair. I put my cap, sunglasses and mask back on, keeping my head bowed as he wheels me along the corridor. I was not prepared to meet anyone familiar. When he pushes the door to the company gates open, I was greeted with screams, and flashing cameras. There were people hurling racial insults at me, but my manager, being well built, pushes us across the crowd. I could hear him shout at them, and shoving at some people. I so badly wanted to plead with him to leave the girls alone. There were many of my Hailangs gathered there, which I could recognise that there were some who spent many days waiting for my outside the hospital.

"You traitor! You betrayed Luhan and Kris-oppa! How many people do you want to hurt and betray till you're satisfied?" This statement sent a stab right into my heart. The faces around me start to blur, and the screams start to ring in my ears. I was still in a trance when my new manager helped me into the new sleek van. It felt so wrong to have everything replaced. The new manager had arms too thick, compared to my previous manager. Only Korean is being used to converse in the van. The manager, driver, stylist and publicist were speaking in rapid Korean. I miss my home already. I want to turn back time. I should have never entered this industry. I should have studied hard to take over my father's company.

I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this. Why did I bother. I'm never good enough. I'm not good enough. What do I have to do to satisfy people? What else do I have to give? All I have done is for my Hailangs. For the ones who cared for me. Was I selfish?  I wanted them to continue loving me. I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't want to be alone. I need all of you. I need Duizhang. I need love. But then again, does love really exist in this highly competitive society? Or is everyone selfish and only has greed in their minds?

A/N : Plot development! It's gonna get pretty sad soon, so please stay with me! Things will definitely get better, okay? Thank you for reading this chapter! To all my readers, I wish you all a good day, and guys, NEVER GIVE UP! :)