Chapter 2

Subtract

Jungkook was spending his time staring at a blank piece of paper. Detention had become a normal part of his life by now but today he had someone else to blame for his mishaps. Well, not completely. Yes, he might’ve been a bit late to his first lesson, which had just happened to be maths. And, yes, he did push that one kid to get to class a bit quicker but they were just honest to god mistakes. Hoseok’s text though had earned him another extra hour and his phone confiscated for the rest of the day.

 

The teacher on duty, luckily, had enough on his hands not to be observing his every move. Last week Mr Choi had made Jungkook’s two hour detention into hell. “Mr Jeon Jungkook stop tapping the pencil or I’ll have to add another fifteen minutes.” Ugh, just thinking about it made him shiver with distaste for his math teacher who seemed to hate him the most out of whole staff.

 

Today for detention he wasn’t alone. Another guy by the name Park Jimin had joined him. As far as Jungkook had heard, Jimin was found receiving a from some girl in the old junior toilets. He didn’t know why the girl hadn’t gotten detention too but here he was. Alone with Jimin. Who had done nothing but argued with the teacher for the last forty minutes. Jungkook was starting to debate whether stabbing a pencil in his neck would hurt less than being here.

 

“But, Teach, I don’t get it,” Jimin’s high pitched voice whined. “I’m not doing anything wrong I was just wondering why do I have to be here.”

 

“Park Jimin, if you don’t stop talking right now, I will make sure you spend the rest of the afternoons this semester in detention,” Mr Kim, their geography teacher, Jungkook wasn’t very good at that either, said, his face red.

 

Jimin didn’t dare to say anything after that but he could hear a quiet murmur that sounded something like, “Since when has pleasure been something punishable? We both were having a good time.”

 

Jungkook rolled his eyes at that. Park Jimin seemed like someone he shouldn’t get involved with unless he wanted more trouble to come this way. On the other hand he could see why girls would like him. Although on a short side, Jimin was pretty hot. Under the school uniform his muscles were well defined and his lips were plump and kissable. Orange hair graced his head and Jungkook wondered how he managed to pull that off as there was a strict no dyed hair policies.

 

Most of all Jungkook was curious how he had never ran into this kid before. With those looks, he should’ve at least seen him once.

 

“You checking me out, baby boy?” Despite being the only other person besides Mr Kim in the room, Jungkook looked around just to make sure he was the one being addressed.

 

“Baby boy?”

 

“Look at your doe eyes, it’s obvious you’ve never been touched by anyone,” Jimin smirked and Jungkook retched slightly, his eyes narrowing but he turned away his face flushed. “You know, you’re cute enough so if you want to have some fun, just find me.” Jimin winked.

 

“Ugh, no, thanks. When I want to have with someone I’ll make sure I don’t catch gonorrhoea from them.”

 

“Cute and feisty. I like that,” Jimin laughed but before he could continue on bell rung signalling the end of their detention. Jungkook grabbed his bag from the floor and shot out of the room, leaving Park Jimin alone in the small classroom, laughing loudly.

 

 

Namjoon had finished his last lecture for the day and was packing his bag when he received a text from Yoongi.

 

Yoon <3: hey babe, up for some take out???

Nams: sorry I have some to do tonight

Yoon <3: again??? I haven’t seen you for a week now and I need to get ed asap I’m having withdrawals

Nams: ok, how about we meet at my place at 11?? I’ll order Indian

Yoon <3: you had me at Indian ;)

Nams: it was the last word of the text, idiot

Yoon <3: well, that’s not how you talk with your cute bf who gives you bjs in the uni toilets -_-

Nams: damn ok sorry, listen I gtg love you babe xx

Yoon <3: me too

 

Namjoon bit his lip. Something was off with Yoongi but he had no time to figure it out. He was supposed to be at Hoseok’s place at 7 and it was already half past six. It wasn’t a long travel but traffic at this part of the city was the worst. Especially now at rush hour.

 

He regretted agreeing to tutor the kid. It meant missing an episode of Project Runway and missing out on a nice make out session with Yoongi. But a promise was a ing promise. So he gathered his laptop and the anatomy book with a skeleton in sunglasses on the cover and exited the lecture theatre hoping to make 6:40 bus.

 

 

Hoseok jumped when he heard the doorbell go off. “Namjoon’s here,” he yelled out to Jungkook, who was upstairs in his room playing some Mortal Kombat, and went to open the door. Namjoon looked like he rather be anywhere else than here, his trousers for some reason dripping on the ‘welcome’ mat.

 

“Yo, Joon, what happened to you man?” Hoseok said, welcoming the boy in.

 

“Uh, I kind of ran here and fell in a puddle. No joke it was like this deep,” he gestured but it was too vague for Hoseok to understand.

 

“Ah, that , dude,” he frowned, “I’ll let you borrow some of my sweats. Jungkook will be down any minute.”

 

As on cue, Jungkook’s footsteps could be heard. “Jeon Jungkook, stop walking like an elephant! I gave a birth to a person,” his mom yelled out from her study as he passed her.

 

“Come on, Jungkook. I know you two have met but some time has passed. Jungkook, Namjoon. Namjoon, Jungkook.” Hoseok waved his hands between them as they awkwardly stood in front of each other.

 

Namjoon couldn’t say anything, his friend hadn’t lied. Jungkook had indeed grown up. He still remembered the scrawny little kid with bunny teeth and emo hair and the person that stood in front of him definitely wasn’t that. Jungkook had grown, now towering over his brother and his muscles had developed, veins popping out from his forearms. His face had changed too, a stylish side parting now showing his forehead but there still was something sweet and innocent about his expression.

 

He didn’t want to admit this but if he wasn’t dating Yoongi then something more than just tutoring would happen in the kid’s bedroom.

 

“Nice to meet you. I mean, see you again,” Jungkook spoke first, letting the awkward air surrounding them disperse.  Namjoon laughed, nodding his head in agreement.

 

“So where should we do this? Anywhere with a table or somewhere to sit down is alright but I prefer some privacy. After all, it is pretty tiring on its own, we don’t need others watching to make it harder,” Namjoon said and watched the kid widen his eyes and cough loudly. Had he said something wrong?

 

Jungkook’s face flushed as he stuttered out his answer, “I have a table and a bed in my room we could do it there.”

 

“Lead the way then,” Namjoon kicked off his shoes and followed the younger boy deeper into the house.

 

 

Jungkook had seen a lot of attractive strangers but he had to admit that Namjoon was pretty hot. Not Taehyung nerdy hot but more like badass weird hot. Not his style but pleasant to look at. His only problem was, well, Jungkook struggled to put it nicely. What the was he wearing?

 

The boy didn’t know where he should look. At the oversized cardigan, the platform shoes which made him taller than he really was, and he really didn’t need that, or the super skinny black jeans which showed off everything. Everything. Including, well, uh, his super long, firm, uh, thighs.  The fact that these jeans were wet did not help at all. Now Jungkook was going to make sure Hoseok never makes fun of his multiple white shirts again.

 

They entered his room, which was quite simple. Muted colours and not much decoration. His mom had insisted that this was the best environment to study in calm and clean, or as she liked to put it ‘finally looks like a room not a pig sty’. Namjoon immediately plopped down on Jungkook’s bed, forgetting about his ‘situation’.

 

Hoseok burst in the room moments after holding a pair of grey sweatpants. “I hope you haven’t ruin-,” he stopped noticing dark stains of Jungkook’s comforter and Namjoon’s guilty stare. He the bottoms in his hands and left without saying another word.

 

“Oh, , Jungkook, I’m sorry,” Namjoon tried to apologise, earning a laugh from him.

 

“Don’t worry, Namjoon hyung, Hoseok warned me about you,” Jungkook didn’t think Namjoon was going to be that bad but he had proved himself to be worse than described.

 

“Hoseok? What did that son of a say about me?” He asked already knowing the answer.

 

““He ruins everything he touches, so don’t let him touch anything in your room,”” Jungkook imitated Hoseok’s whiny voice and Namjoon had to laugh, because it was spot on.

 

“Anyways, I’ll change and then we’ll crack on. Find your books and choose what you want to start with.”

 

 

“No, Jungkook, before you transfer the x you have to balance out the equation,” Namjoon sighed for the umpteenth time that night. They were two hours into tutoring but hadn’t moved past the first problem, which actually was couple of years lower than the ones he’d need to be able to do in the exam.

 

“Oh, okay, I think I get it now,” Jungkook smiled. However, it was not true. He had no idea what he was doing. How do you even balance the x? The boy continued to bore holes in the paper, circling the pencil in his fingers. In reality, Jungkook was tired. He hadn’t done maths properly for last three years and he didn’t think he could catch on now but the threat of losing basketball from his life rung fresh in his mind.

 

Namjoon couldn’t sit there and look at the boy’s empty face. It was torture for both of them and he seriously considered getting run over by a car before coming here next time. “Hey, how about we take a break? Ten minutes?”

 

Jungkook’s face lit up in excitement. “Sounds great! I’ll go down to get a drink, you want one?”

 

Yes, vodka, a double shot. Hell, bring him the whole bottle. “Ah, no thank you, I’m okay,” Namjoon said rubbing his temples. He never thought tutoring could be this exhausting.

 

Just as Jungkook exited the room another person came in and Namjoon felt like crying. “Hoseok, what are you doing here?”

 

“Came to check up on my two favourite people in the world. Right after Kim Taeyeon, I mean. Or Hyuna. Wait, no, Hani,” Hoseok scrunched up his face.

 

“Dude, on another note. Was your brother always this dumb?” Namjoon couldn’t shut himself up.

 

“I wouldn’t call him dumb. Just special, you know?” Hoseok said, “For some reason, no one of got the smart gene from our mother, which I actually have wondered about. Maybe she has a secret child?”

 

Namjoon closed his eyes and fell back onto Jungkook’s bed which smelt like men’s body wash and sweat. Ugh, when was the last time this was washed? But he couldn’t be too bothered by the smell, his dorm room wasn’t in a much better condition. Yesterday, he stepped on something and up to this moment he wasn’t able to figure out what that was. Yoongi speculated that it was a slice of the pizza they had eaten few weeks ago.  Namjoon sincerely hoped that wasn’t true. Okay, well, it would be better than that time they found a rat carcass under his bed.

 

“The you’re doing here, hyung?” Jungkook had appeared in the doorway unnoticed.

 

Hoseok’s expression quickly turned sour, “Hell, it’s like no one even wants to see me.”

 

“Have you seen yourself in mirror? I’m not even sure your mother likes to see you,” Namjoon grumbled from the bed.

 

“Says the guy, who was voted the ugliest boy in our year,” Hoseok laughed and exited the room, throwing a smirk in Namjoon’s direction.

 

“ you, Hoseok.”

 

A stern female voice was heard from downstairs, “I won’t tolerate this kind of language in my house!”