Chapter 13

Subtract

 

A/N: I kept telling everyone that this will be up soon but unfortunately I got sick, so it's up only now. Sorry guys -n-. Good news are that this chapter contains tonns of fluff(kinda) and every pairing you can think of ^u^ so enjoy~~~~

 

Namjoon was doing his student duty, or as he liked to call it, library and no chill. Being a medicine student wasn't easy and the whole tutoring fiasco had put him behind on many assignments. Important ones.

Humming along to his special study playlist, he typed away on his laptop, endless piles of books around him. Mostly there for decor. He had learned the hard way that people were less likely to bother him when he looked busy. It was the last year in university before he started the practice in a hospital that was willing to give him an internship, and thus, it was important to impress the professors and whoever. 

The blond liked learning Perhaps because it gave him a peace of mind, only facts and information, all tied together to create endless wonders of the world. Some people believed in magic, Namjoon believed in medicine. On the first day of his lectures the professor had told them that they cannot save everyone, and death was a normal part of life, but Namjoon could try. And having stared death in the eyes himself, he wanted to do his best.  

Yet lately he found it hard to focus on his dreams. Cluttered thoughts kept intruding, his fingers getting stuck on the simpler facts, struggling with things that he knew already. 

And it was all because of Jungkook.
He had come into his life like a wildfire, blazing through Namjoon’s forest, burning down everything he touched. With his simple existence, Jungkook had managed to turn his life upside down. 

Jungkook with his endless white shirts and awful music taste. Jungkook with his bad jokes and love for pizza. Jungkook who didn’t like learning and would rather play video games all day. Someone who still was just a child. But Namjoon’s mind kept returning to this kid, with endless enthusiasm and wide smiles. And it was annoying Namjoon.

Namjoon ran a hand through his hair, sighing heavily. Even now, with his academic success on the line, this stupid wasn’t leaving his mind. It was Jungkook’s midterm day and Namjoon kept worrying. Had he gotten up on time? Did he have a proper breakfast? Did he take a pen with him? Could he actually answer any of the questions?

The man had held back for more than half a day, but just like a nervous mother, he couldn’t keep going anymore, his fingers pressing on his phone screen, “Hoseok?”

“Hey, dude. What’s up?” His friend’s voice on the other side sounded tired.

“You alright?” Namjoon said, twirling a pen in his hand. Despite everything, he didn’t want to sound weird, bringing up Jungkook seconds after calling.

Hoseok’s smile could be heard through the phone, “I guess. Working with kids tires you out.”

“Oh, you’re doing your training now? I hope I’m not interrupting.”

“It’s lunch time now, but seeing as you don’t know, I’m guessing you haven’t eaten yet,” Hoseok said.

“Yeah, fair to say that I haven’t had a proper meal in forever. I needed to catch up on some assignments,” Namjoon’s stomach grumbled at the thought of food. Had he even had any breakfast?

Hoseok sighed, “Why am I not surprised? You need to eat, Joon.”

“Why do you sound like my mum?” Namjoon laughed, Jungkook still at the front of his brain.

“I keep hearing that,” Hoseok said, children’s laughter appearing in the background, “I guess it’s the training. Anyway, you should come over for dinner tonight. Mum and dad are going out but we have some leftovers from last night.”

“I don’t know, Hoseok. I’m kin-”

“There’s going to be japchae,” Hoseok butted in. 

“I’ll be there,” His friend’s mother made the best japchae. And yes, maybe he said that about the most food she cooked but Namjoon meant it.  “Oh, by the way, Hoseok.”

“Yeah?”

“Have you heard anything from Jungkook? I heard his midterms are today,” Namjoon failed in sounding nonchalant but, admittedly, he had done worse.

“Have you tried calling him?” Hoseok mocked his friend, ”I’ve been too busy. And he doesn’t respond to my calls. Not after I blasted Darude Sandstorm through my call on his detention anyway. I’m sure he’d pick up yours.”

“I’ll just text him,” Namjoon\s voice sounded defeated. He really had hoped that Hoseok would know something. 

His friend laughed, “You do that. Calling would actually show how desperate you are.”

“I’m not desperate,” Namjoon yelled down his phone. The library lady cast him a dirty glance, putting a finger over her lips. He nodded, embarrassed.

Even more laughter from his phone. Namjoon hung up, smashing the phone down on the wooden desk, the sound echoing in the room. He closed his eyes leaning back into his chair, and even then he could feel the angry burning gaze from the library lady. 

“Just text him, it’s not that big of a deal,” He whispered to himself, psyching himself up. “Yeah, why would I be this nervous? He’s just an annoying kid. But I put time and effort into tutoring him, of course I’d be nervous.”

Namjoon smiled, relieved that he had come up with an explanation, “If he does well, it’s all thanks to me. Yeah, that’s right.”

He was just a step away from patting himself on the back, if it wouldn’t look so weird that is. The blond picked up his phone, the screen lighting up to reveal his lockscreen. It no longer was the picture of him and Yoongi. He didn’t know what hurt more, seeing it every time he unlocked his phone or changing it. It felt like erasing all their precious memories, all their love deleted with a swipe of his fingers.

Joon: Hey, how’s it going?

No, no, no. Way, too awkward. Namjoon deleted the text.

Joon: Sup, idiot, hope you didn’t fail your exams.

Nope, too mean.

Joon:  Hey, Kook. Did my tutoring help?

And before he could find any faults, he sent the text. Namjoon frowned at himself. Since when had texting become so hard for him? Was it because he had never texted Jungkook? Was he scared of sounding like an idiot? Did he really sound desperate, was Hoseok right? But desperate about what? 

There were way too many questions and not enough answers but before he could come up with another ten, the screen lit up again. Jungkook had answered.

Kookie: Ugh, I hope so. I mean I filled in most of the page
Joon: Good~ ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_ If you pass I expect another free dinner. Or ten
Kookie: Do u think I’m that rich???? U’ll be fine with wwhatever u get
Joon:  눈_눈, you know how much time I spent on you when I should’ve been doing my assignments?? I’m behind because of you ( ≧Д≦)
Kookie: I didn’t kno u liked emojis so much (*≧艸≦)
Kookie: also i’m sorry

Namjoon sighed, he shouldn’t be mad at the kid. He had agreed to tutor Jungkook himself and now he was paying for it. 

Joon: It’s fine i’ve been busier in the past┐( ˘_˘)┌
Joon: and don’t make fun of my emojis, they’re fun and artistic
Kookie: sure, hyung, whatever u say
Joon: yah, you’re such a brat (ง’̀-‘́)ง
Kookie: ( ˘ ³˘)♥

The blond was going to make him pay, when he’ll next see him, Namjoon was sure about that.

 

Jimin was lounging around Taehyung’s classroom, waiting for him. He hadn’t studied for the exams so there wasn’t much he could do. The red haired boy wasn’t the type to wait for anyone, usually people waited for him but something about Taehyung was different. That was the only reason he stole the boy from poor Jungkook. 

He liked the kid, he was cute and innocent, maybe a bit too innocent but that was his charm, so when Jimin decided that he wanted Taehyung he did feel a bit bad. The boy’s eyes shined every time he looked at his crush. 

In a way, Jimin had thought this before, he had saved Jungkook. It was obvious for him that Taehyung didn’t like the boy, at least not in the sense Jungkook wanted to. This was better than to be rejected. Well, in Jimin’s opinion. Taehyung wasn’t the one for lovey-dovey relationships and true love but Jungkook’s wide eye and that stupid smile told that it was all he wanted. So yeah, Jimin had saved the boy.

There was a small commotion in the classroom when Jimin peaked through the window. The exam was over and other students had started to pack their bags but his eyes were drawn only to Taehyung. 

The dark haired boy hadn’t smoked today, Jimin could tell by the way his foot was shaking and the unusually sharp look in his eyes. There was a pen in his hands, writing hurriedly while the teacher was collecting other’s papers. Jimin knew that it wasn’t allowed but Taehyung’s father was the principal, and that meant getting a few privileges in terms of school.  

Only after promptly pulling the exam out from under Taehyung’s pen, he stopped. It was almost funny for Jimin, to watch the other boy relax, collapsing into the chair like after a long run. He had never tried in school, only enough to pass. If this was how exam stress looked like, he didn’t want to experience it. It’d ruin his skin.

Taehyung noticed the short boy, a smirk appearing on his tired face as he waved lazily. Jimin made a point of it to turn his face from interested to bored, beckoning as if to say ‘Move your , I’ve been waiting forever’. 

However it was apparent that the dark haired boy wasn’t in a rush, or maybe Jimin was too impatient watching the other boy gather his stuff, excruciatingly slowly before leaving the class. He was jittery, waiting had made him nervous. More likely though, it was Taehyung, who seemed to move almost like gliding through the seas of people, coming closer and closer to Jimin’s beating heart.

“What took you so long?” Jimin puffed his cheeks, eyes rolling automatically.

“Some of us actually care about their grades, ChimChim,” Taehyung pulled the boy closer, his hand brushing against his . 

The red haired boy’s stomach fluttered, “Well, thank god I’m not one of them. It must be boring to be such a nerd.”

Taehyung’s smirk was dangerous, “Watch who you call boring, babe, or I’ll have to talk some sense into you.”

“Oh no, what will you do, punish me?” Jimin laughed. 

The next thing Jimin saw, or rather didn’t see,  was the dark, cramped janitor’s closet on the third floor, with Taehyung pushed up behind him.   

 

Yoongi’s phone rang, mid-practice. The grey haired boy felt it vibrate in his pocket as he was in the middle of a verse. In the past, it would have been Namjoon calling. He always had the awful luck of interrupting his band’s practices. And for a second he believed it could be him too. 

But not anymore. Yoongi couldn’t afford to think about Namjoon. They had gone way too far to ever turn back to the place they were before. Before the kiss, before the breakup, before their countless fights. It was for the best. It had to be.

Then why was it so hard to move on? 

He saw Namjoon in the little things. In the brand of wine Namjoon hated, in every action film he watched, which he also hated and in every couple that walked past him holding hands.

And he didn’t want to be the pinning ex, it wasn’t a part of him, it wasn’t who he was, yet Namjoon had made him that way. Because for a moment, Yoongi had actually believed that the blond, clumsy idiot could be the one. The one to introduce to his parents, the one he would cook for, the one he’d wake up to see for the rest of his life. 

Yet everything had fallen apart so easily. Crumbled like dry flowers in a wind.

The caller was Seokjin. He was the only one who called lately. Yoongi believed it was for the best, he still needed to recover, to heal and Seokjin had put him on the right path and was holding his hand right through it all. 

“I’m cooking dinner,” Seokjin said.

“Thank you for the update, I’m not sure how I would have coped without it,” Yoongi had stopped the song. The rest of the band members looking at him disapprovingly.

The elder laughed, “You’re welcome. Any chance I’ll get to see you tonight?”

Yoongi sighed, “I’m at practice right now. We have a lot of new material to go through before the show.”

For a second there was a silence on the other end, “That’s fine. Then I’ll just bring the dinner to you. Good thing I made extra food.”

And right then, Yoongi’s heart swelled from the warm gesture. He didn’t cry often, or more like never, but he wanted to do that right then and there. Cry his eyes out. 

“If you want to,” he replied. 


Jungkook had changed into his sweats. He could finally relax. The exams were over. For now. So he decided that today he wouldn’t do anything. Just stuff his face and play videogames until his eyes hurt. It had been a torture to study and revise day after day. He didn’t know how other’s pulled it off so easily.

When he went downstairs Hoseok was already heating up dinner, “Isn’t it a bit too early to eat?”

Hoseok looked at the clock, “You know that normal people actually eat around seven. Plus we’ve got a guest.”

“Have you invited your girlfriend over?” Jungkook was wondering if he should better leave the house or just listen to music really loudly. The first option meant having nowhere to sleep and second meant losing his hearing. It wasn’t an easy choice.

“Namjoon’s coming over,” Hoseok said.

“Oh.” Oh. 

Jungkook didn’t know why his heart jumped at that. He hadn’t seen Namjoon in a few days, they both had been too busy. He wondered why he didn’t say anything in the texts. Maybe he hadn’t lied about having to catch up with his assignments, he was a medical student after all. Suddenly, Jungkook felt sorry.

“I just thought he deserved some proper food after having to deal with you,” Hoseok placed the utensils on the table.

“My company is absolutely the best,” the younger sneered at his brother. “Anyway, doesn’t him eating here means that he has to deal with me more?”

Hoseok pressed his lips together widening his eyes, “Oh.”

“Flawless logic there, hyung,” Jungkook laughed, patting his brother on the shoulder.

Knocking on the door interrupted Hoseok, who was ready to say something mean, probably, “Answer the door while I get the rice.”

“Sure,” Jungkook said, his stomach falling as he got closer to the door. He shook his head, trying to get himself together, unsure of his reaction.

Namjoon looked tired, when Jungkook saw him. There were dark circles under his eyes and he seemed to have lost weight. Even his skinny jeans didn’t look skinny on him anymore. But seeing Jungkook his face lit up into a natural smile, making the younger’s face become warm.

“Hey, hyung,” Jungkook smiled, moving to let the older in.

The blond ruffled his hair, pulling him into a side hug, “Hey, Kook. Congrats on passing your exams.”

Jungkook’s body tingled from the warmth, “You don’t know that I passed.”

“You better have passed with all that I’ve done to help you,” Namjoon smiled down at him, a somehow reassuring smile, his dimples showing. It made Jungkook feel better.

“You keep saying that,” the younger mumbled as Namjoon pulled away. 

The elder dropped his bag on the couch, “It’s because it’s true. Also I’m looking forward to all those meals you’re going to buy me.”

Jungkook grimaced at the elder, “I told you I’m not that rich!”