Chapter 12

Subtract

When both, Seokjin and Yoongi had walked out of others sight, Yoongi pushed the elder away, resting his body against the brick walls surrounding them, “What the was that, Seokjin?”

 

“I didn’t want you to look like the victim,” as always, Seokjin was blunt.

 

“, do you think it made me look any better? I looked pathetic,” the younger sighed, running a hand through his hair and closing his eyes.

 

The elder smiled, “I don’t think you did. Trust me, it looked like you enjoyed it as much as I did.”

 

“Still, you should’ve at least warned me,” Yoongi said, unsure. Seokjin wasn’t lying when he said that Yoongi had enjoyed the kiss. It was fresh and exciting, making his heart beat faster but mixed in with Namjoon and his guilty stare, it seemed not to fit. A stray puzzle piece that accidentally found its way in another set.

 

“I guess I could’ve,” Seokjin laughed, “but it was way funnier seeing your reaction to it.”

 

The younger rolled his eyes, “Wow, this is the kind of friend I have.”

 

The elder turned away, a flash of angst in his eyes at Yoongi’s dismissive words. He knew that he had played it off just as well but, in all honesty, Seokjin wanted to get more than this from Yoongi. He wanted the younger to finally see that he had fallen for him. Of course, life is never that easy and Seokjin was well aware that Yoongi’s feelings for Namjoon weren’t fleeting that quickly.

 

He didn’t know how long he had to wait but if it was Yoongi, it was worth it.

 

“Hyung?” Yoongi elbowed the elder, finally steady. “Let’s go to your place. I’m really craving Indian.”

 

“But we had it last night,” Seokjin shook off his selfish thoughts, starting to walk in the direction of his flat, “And the night before. Seriously, you need to get over this addiction.”

 

Yoongi pouted behind the elder, “But naan bread is so good.”  




 

“Hyung?” Jungkook shook Namjoon’s shoulder, they sat in a coffee shop, an americano in front of the elder, while younger had ordered ice tea.

 

“Hmm?” Namjoon’s eyes shot up to the younger, who was playing with the black sleeve of Namjoon’s t-shirt.

 

Jungkook smiled, a small, shaky smile, “I’m really sorry. I always speak without thinking and this time too and I ed everything up and now because of me the tattoo guy is angry and then the handsome guy kissed him-”

 

Namjoon slapped his palm across Jungkook’s mouth, his words turning into incomprehensible mumbles, “Stop rambling, I was there.”

 

“Aum sahywee,” hot air blew into Namjoon’s palm and he pulled it back, grimacing, ”I’m sorry, hyung.”

 

The elder sighed, “I know you are and even though I should be angry, I’m not.”

 

Jungkook’s eyes widened and a large smile spread over his lips, “Really?”

 

“Yeah,” Namjoon shook his head, taking a sip from his coffee. Once again they were alone. The coffee shop was chilly and the waitress glaring at them, every time she looked up from her phone. It was almost midnight and Namjoon should have been in his dorm room, writing a report about….something. This evening’s events had shook him up and his usually sharp mind had become hazy, his memories wandering back to how alive Yoongi had looked at first and his defeated expression as he was dragged away by his friend. Or maybe more than that.

 

“Do you think they’re dating?” Jungkook had a knack for knowing exactly what Namjoon was thinking at that moment. More likely though, the pain was evident on his face.

 

Namjoon shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. The way Seokjin had held on to his ex boyfriend seemed to be very protective, the way he used to hold Yoongi, “Maybe.”

 

“They seemed very close,” Jungkook slurped on his tea, only the ice left over after he was finished.

 

“Anyway,” the elder shook his head, trying to rid himself of the idea, “What’s our next plan of attack?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Your grades,” Namjoon glared at the younger, “Just because you passed one test doesn’t mean everything is fixed.”

 

“Oh, that,” Jungkook sighed, “Try to pass more tests? I don’t know. My midterm exams are coming up and I need to pass them if I ever want to get back on the basketball team.”

 

“You seem like you’re okay at math for now, so how about we challenge English?”

 

The younger smiled at Namjoon, the bunny teeth on display and once again he seemed like an adorable child, “English, it is then.”

 

Namjoon reached over and ruffled the younger’s hair, missing the blush that formed on Jungkook’s cheeks, “Good God, Jungkook, when did you get this cute?”

 

He pouted, “I’m not cute.”

 

“Keep telling yourself that.”



 

Jungkook opened his front door at exactly twelve forty one, Hoseok was counting. He was fuming, sitting on the sofa and mindlessly surfing through the channels trying to keep his mind off Jungkook and Namjoon. Let’s just say it wasn’t that easy.

 

Quiet footsteps neared him and he sighed, “Going somewhere?”

 

“Oh, hyung, you’re awake!” Jungkook said, running a hand through his hair.

 

“Don’t give me that bull, I know when you’re acting,” Hoseok had guessed correctly, the younger averted his eyes, “Where were you?”

 

“Having a drink,” Jungkook wasn’t looking in his brother’s eyes, feeling guilty.

 

Hoseok pursed his lips together, pushing the words out through them, “With Namjoon?”

 

Jungkook nodded, “Yeah.”

 

“Are you sure you’re not dating?” The elder didn’t know whether to be angry or disappointed at Jungkook for not telling him. There was betrayal deep in his heart, he thought that his brother could trust him with everything.

 

The younger shook his head, “You already know the answer to it, yet you keep asking. We’re not dating, hyung.”

 

“And you don’t tell me anything, so how can I know what’s real and what’s not? You didn’t tell me about you being gay or the kiss.”

 

“I was scared, okay? Mum and dad found out accidentally, I didn’t tell them. And the kiss, well, you know why I couldn’t tell you about that,” Jungkook sat down, facing Hoseok, whose face had softened up.

 

“Were you scared I wouldn’t accept you?” Jungkook avoided his brother’s eyes again, “You’re my brother, Kook. I’ll love you no matter what, I just want you to tell me things. It feels like we’re drifting apart these days.”

 

“You’re so gay,” the younger laughed, watching his brother’s face change from serious to offended.

 

“Hey, I’m not the one going around kissing his brother’s friends.”

 

“It was one time, okay,” Jungkook blushed, “It’s not like he even likes me or anything.”

 

“Do you like him then?” Hoseok wiggled his eyebrows.

 

Jungkook hit his shoulder, his eyes widening, “No! Ew, we’re friends.”

 

“Friends who kiss? I’ve never heard of that,” Hoseok laughed as Jungkook flushed even darker pink. “Just tell me if you like anyone, yeah? I don’t need to hear the details, just the basics.”

 

“Ugh, you’re worse than mum,” his brother stood up. “I’m going to bed.”




 

“Jungkook,” a familiar voice made his stomach drop, “We meet in here again.”

 

Yes, Jungkook was spending his afternoon in detention. It was a very unfortunate gym class. Not for him luckily, one of the kids in the other team had gotten a concussion. It was an accident, Jungkook didn’t know that he would stand right under the hoop when he threw the ball.

 

The boy lifted his head, trying to fake a smile, “Hey, Taehyung.”

 

“How are you? I haven’t had a chance to talk with you since the bar,” Jungkook felt his stomach lurch from the boxy smile of Kim Taehyung.

 

But he couldn’t afford to be swayed again. Taehyung had left him for Jimin, the image of them snogging outside the bar tasted like vomit on his tongue. And yet, he seemed to get more handsome by the day, even with his red eyes.

 

“I’m fine. You?” His voice didn’t break. It definitely didn’t break.

 

“I’m okay, saw this amazing film last night. The Conjuring 2, , it was great. You sure, you’re alright though? You don’t sound very well.”

 

Yes, of course Jungkook was alright. Except the fact that nothing was alright and Taehyung didn’t even seem to remember that he left him alone that night. “Haha yeah. Maybe I’m coming down with something. I heard there’s a bug going around.”

 

“Stay away from me then,” Taehyung laughed, “Midterms are coming up.”

 

Jungkook banged his head against the table, “Ugh, don’t remind me.”

 

“If you want, I can help you with studying for them,” Taehyung said, making Jungkook’s heart beat a little bit faster.

 

He shook his head before Jungkook’s heart could have a say in the matter, “I’ve already got a tutor and he gives me enough work to make me consider dropping out and becoming a stripper.”

 

Taehyung laughed, checking out the dark haired boy. Jungkook could physically feel the weight of his eyes as they moved along his body, “I’m sure you’d be rich if you decided to take that path.”

 

“Gee, thanks. That sure motivates me to do well on these exams,” Jungkook grimaced, making the other boy show his signature smile again. He blushed, however, when Taehyung leaned over to ruffle the other’s hair, it didn’t feel as make his stomach turn in the same way it did with Namjoon.