Chapter 5

Subtract

So this one is a long and dramatic one. At first, I wanted to split it in two parts, but you know what, just read and enjoy^^

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yoongi was already in stage tuning his guitar as Namjoon walked in. He looked great under the spotlights in his white muscle top and dark blue skinny jeans, his tattoos covering his arms all the way down to his hands but all that Namjoon could feel was a pang of hurt.  His boyfriend’s dark hair was falling in his eyes, so he couldn’t see the expression in them but the way Yoongi bit his lip as he turned the silver taps showed a great deal of concentration.

 

They hadn't spoken since Yoongi left his room that morning. Namjoon had tried to call him once but it went straight to voicemail, Yoongi's lazy voice telling him to call again later.

 

Namjoon had paced the room for rest of that day, not even in the mood to watch the new season of America's Next Top Model which he had looked forward too for the last couple of months, his head full of ideas of why Yoongi wasn't answering. Each one worse than the previous.

 

Then he ordered Indian takeaway. Eating it alone while he thought of Yoongi. Drinking wine he despised as he thought of Yoongi. And then lastly, singing along to Bon Jovi songs. As he thought of Yoongi. He could’ve had his own sitcom by the way that night was going.

 

Today, he had made an effort with his appearance, wanting to replicate the cool rock star vibe Yoongi exuded on stage. A white button up, last few buttons left open showing a bit of his skin, a chain under it and a black leather jacket over the shirt paired together with grey skinnies and black combat boots. White hair gelled back. Together they made the perfect pair.

 

The club was full of people, most of them already drunk. He approached the bar ordering a beer, watching the guy pour him a pint, and then downing it all in one go.

 

“Thanks,” he burped and turned around, planning to wish Yoongi good luck before the show started. He approached the stage catching a sight of him already chatting with someone. His back was against Namjoon so he couldn’t tell if he knew the person.

 

The guy seemed to be about his height, maybe a little shorter, his broad shoulders almost covering Yoongi from his sight.

 

“Babe,” Namjoon called out, watching the guy turn around, soft features meeting his hardened ones. He had never met him before but something about his innocent looking face and perfect skin made Namjoon angry.

 

Yoongi widened his eyes noticing Namjoon, “You made it!” His gummy smile made an appearance and Namjoon could feel his heart swelling in his leather jacket. The guy next to him smiled too, a polite smile his eyes never leaving his boyfriend’s face and all Namjoon wanted to do was to hide Yoongi away from this wolf in disguise.

 

“I heard you’ll be playing some new songs. Couldn’t miss that now, could I?” He smiled too, seeing Yoongi this happy for the first time in weeks.

 

His boyfriend nodded, a smile still on his lips, “Yes, but you never come to my shows. You said you’re too busy.”

 

Namjoon extended his arm, wrapping it around Yoongi’s waist and pulling him closer. He smelt like chips, cigarettes and cologne. Not his own. He pressed a kiss to his cheek, not wanting to taste the ashes. Or anything else.

 

“And who’s with you?” Namjoon asked, letting his eyes run over the guy dressed in a blue v-neck and a dark grey blazer thrown over it, who had stayed quiet during their exchange, observing them.

 

Yoongi’s gaze set on the handsome guy. “Oh, I totally forgot you don’t know him. That’s Seokjin. My running buddy.” His eyes shone as he looked at him, “Seokjin, you’ve already heard about Namjoon enough, haven’t you?”

 

Seokjin extended his hand towards Namjoon and he replied to the action, his other hand holding on to Yoongi even tighter. The guy’s hand was soft and delicate, bones sticking out but he held Namjoon’s own with a firm grasp.

 

“Nice to finally meet you,” his voice flowed out, exactly like his image, smooth and a bit feminine but the words carrying a weight of their own.

 

Namjoon swallowed a scoff, “I wish I could say the same to you.”

 

Yoongi shot a glare in his direction and Namjoon laughed, forced sound leaving his throat, “I mean, my boyfriend obviously doesn’t talk about you as often as he talks about me.”

 

Seokjin pulled his hand away first, a smile still on his lips, “They do say that silence is golden.”

 

, this guy sure knew how to get under Namjoon’s skin. Whether he was aware of it or not but Seokjin made his skin crawl, the pretty boy image obviously nothing more than a handsome façade and in that moment Namjoon hated himself for allowing Yoongi to meet with this guy. Or maybe it just was the fact that Yoongi hadn’t told anything about Seokjin to him, while obviously he had been talking to him about their relationship.

 

He definitely needed more alcohol to deal with this but he couldn’t bear the thought of leaving them two alone even for a moment. Namjoon cleared his throat, “Well, I guess there’s no use for conversation then.”

 

Finally, Yoongi dispersed the stiff air that had formed around them, “I’m about to go up.”

 

Namjoon felt Yoongi untangling himself from his hold but before he could leave, he grasped his boyfriend by his hips, pulling him in closer and pressing a kiss he’d been fearing so much on Yoongi’s lips. It tasted like desperation and beer.

 

Yoongi responded to the kiss before pulling away. Again. “I really have to go.”

 

His dark eyes met Namjoon’s and before he could say anything Yoongi was gone, draping the guitar around his shoulder and voice checking the mic. Namjoon was left alone with Seokjin, enveloped in an uncomfortable silence. He his lips, they still tasted like Yoongi.

 

 

Taehyung was waiting for the younger boy outside of the bar. He was leaned against the wall dressed in plaid and red vans and Jungkook felt way too dressed up, even in his white shirt and ripped jeans. Something about the older boy seemed so casual and relaxed he couldn’t help but to envy him.

 

The news about being kicked out from the school’s basketball team had left him shaken up. But he chose to forget about it, instead focusing on his dream guy standing in front of him. He was toying with his phone, ignoring the people going past.

 

Jungkook waved shyly as he approached Taehyung, attracting his attention. He smiled, his face lighting up and Jungkook returned the smile, his cheeks burning red.

 

“Hey,” Taehyung said, pulling Jungkook into a hug, “I was worried you’re not going to make it.”

 

Yes, he was late. Again. Jungkook had spent too much time fixing his hair in the bathroom mirror and forgotten about the time until a text from the other boy told him that he had exactly ten minutes to get to the bar.

 

“Yeah, sorry about that,” the younger boy said, his heartbeat increasing as he felt the warmth of Taehyung’s body pressing against his. The smell of weed and cologne filled his nose, telling that the boy had smoked some before coming but what was new anyway? Jungkook wrapped his hands around Tae, returning the hug, his touch gentle, not sure how to react but the other male didn’t seem to mind only pulling him closer.

 

Jungkook pulled away first, not knowing how to react but Taehyung didn’t even take notice of his uncomfortableness or flushed face, smile spread over his face as he waved his hand, “I’m sure the band’s already playing, let’s go.”

 

He was right, upon entrance Jungkook was bombarded with intense sounds of guitar and a deep, mellow voice singing out lyrics that seemed to be almost too sad to be relatable. However, people were crowded around stage, swaying along to music, watching the singer of the group, who exuded confidence, black tattoos running down his arms, a sign of rebellion. He had a guitar draped over his shoulders as he played it effortlessly, not even glancing at it as he changed chords, singing about heartbreak and guilt. It was an intense performance, something Jungkook hadn’t seen before. Of course, he was more into hip-hop, used to rap beats and angry lyrics.

 

Taehyung looked at the singer in admiration. Mouthing along to the lyrics as he watched the dark haired man, whose hair was a mess, sweat dripping down his muscled arms, toned from the years of practice.

 

“Are you a fan?” Jungkook yelled over the music, trying to make conversation.

 

The other man pulled his gaze away from the stage just for a second, “I’ve been to all of their shows. They’re still underground but I’ve helped to pass around some demos. They’re really good.”

 

“I see,” he said, looking around for a place to sit down, “What are they called? I want to look them up later.”

 

“Cardiac Arrest,” Taehyung answered, following Jungkook to a free table they had both spotted, “I’ve heard the singers boyfriend came up with it.”

 

“He’s gay?” Jungkook looked at the singer again, he looked straight in his mind but then again Jungkook was gay too and he was pretty sure that didn’t show either. Maybe it was the tattoos.

 

“Yoongi? Yeah. Well, no. He’s pan but I’ve never seen him dating a girl,” Taehyung sat down, still looking at the stage. The song had just ended, everyone erupting in applause as the singer, Yoongi apparently was his name, bowed slightly, thanking everybody for coming out.

 

Jungkook nodded, wondering how Taehyung knew all of this, impressed with both the band and him. He hadn’t expected to enjoy the music, just hoping to spend a nice evening with Tae but this was a nice plus as he listened to one of their new songs, Yoongi introduced as, “Confusion in My Diary”. He did think it was a bit too depressing but the guitar made up for the emo lyrics.

 

They sat in silence, Jungkook had ran out of anything to talk about, so he just observed Taehyung who seemed to be immersed in music. The shadows fell over his face, only small patches of his skin illuminated, his eyes were a bit red and there was a happy smile on his full lips and Jungkook itched to kiss him, but he was well aware of their boundaries and hoped that maybe by the end of the night, his wish would come true. After all it was Taehyung who had invited him to the bar.

 

“What do you think?” The other boy spoke up, and Jungkook turned away as fast as possible, flushing bright pink, clearing his throat.

 

Taehyung shook his head, his dark brown hair falling in front of his eyes as he waited for an answer. Jungkook was honest, “I like them. More than I expected.”

 

“Yes, man, I knew you were going to. After you told me you loved Deadpool I was sure we have similar tastes,” he seemed almost triumphant but Jungkook immediately felt guilty, deciding that he’ll watch Deadpool as soon as possible after tonight.

 

“Haha, yeah,” Jungkook hummed, “I’m a bit thirsty though. Is there anything you want?”

 

He thought for a second before shaking his head, “Yeah, get me some coke. But here’s a tip, they don’t ask for your ID here.”


 

Namjoon was watching Yoongi perform, glad to see how many people had come to watch him, still standing close to Seokjin, scared to let him out of his sight, despite his boyfriend being up there on stage.

 

Cardiac Arrest had only improved since he had heard them the last time, in a much smaller bar than this was. He also had noticed Taehyung walking in, some high school kid, who seemed to be obsessed with the band ever since they started playing. Namjoon was thankful to him, even though sometimes he could be quite scary following them around for every show.

 

However, after a few songs Namjoon started to sweat, the stage lights so hot he could feel them burning his skin, despite not being the one performing, so he threw a cautious look at Seokjin, who seemed to only have eyes for Yoongi (did he even blink?) and slowly made his way to the bar to order more beer.

 

At the bar, a familiar face caught Namjoon’s attention, “Jungkook? What are you doing here?”

 

“Checking out this band, they’re really good, don’t you think?” He seemed to be excited, his eyes slightly glazed over.

 

Namjoon sighed, “Aren’t you supposed to be doing homework I set you?”

 

“Shh, hyung,” Jungkook giggled, sipping from a glass filled with brown liqueur, “Everyone needs to rest someday.”

 

“What the , Jungkook? Are you drunk?”

 

“Noooooo,” he slurred, laughing, “I’m just having a good time. This Cardiac Arrest band is really great.”

 

“Yeah, I know, my boyfriend plays in it,” Namjoon said, ordering a few tequila shots for himself. Maybe Jungkook was right and he deserved to have a bit of fun too.

 

“Yoongi, the tattoo guy?” Jungkook asked.

 

He nodded, downing all four shots placed in front of him, “The tattoo guy.”

 

“The tattoo guy, who currently is hugging someone else?” The younger boy asked again.

 

That attracted Namjoon’s attention and he turned around, his eyes scanning the crowd. He had been so focused on Jungkook that he hadn’t heard the music stopping. But the other boy was right. Yoongi was standing right where Namjoon had been just a few minutes ago, his hands wrapped around the wide shoulders of Seokjin, who seemed to be holding his boyfriend awfully tightly. There was a content smile on Yoongi’s lips as they hugged and Namjoon flared up, his jealousy overtaking him.

 

“Hey, hey, hey, tiger,” Jungkook held him back as he was ready to stomp over there and kick someone’s . And by someone, he meant Seokjin, “How about a few deep breaths before you do anything you might regret?”

 

“The ? Since when are you old enough to tell me what to do?” Namjoon spat.

 

“Ever since you’re taking a hug out of context. You told me Yoongi’s your boyfriend, which means he wouldn’t go cheating on you in front of everyone, especially you,” he giggled at Namjoon as he seemed to be registering that the younger asswipe was probably right. It didn’t make him less angry at the other male but it did keep him from acting out rashly.

 

“, Jungkook,” Namjoon sighed, waving at the bartender to refill his shot glasses, “you better be right about this.”

 

But when he turned around there was no sign of the younger male. He was left alone again, so he did what anyone else would have done, downed his shots again and stood up to go back to his boyfriend and his friend.

 

 

With a glass of whiskey and another glass filled with coke, Jungkook returned to his table. His seat wasn’t empty anymore, filled with orange hair and a flirty smile.

 

“Park Jimin?” He said, placing the coke in front of Taehyung, who only nodded at Jungkook.

 

Jimin turned to look at him, there was a eyeliner drawn under his eyes, making them appear larger, “Baby boy, nice to see you again.” He smirked, throwing a wink in Taehyung’s direction.

 

Well, this wasn’t how he had expected the night to go. Not at all. Park Jimin was certainly not a sight for sore eyes, his orange hair burning in Jungkook’s chest, or maybe that was the whiskey he had just gulped down like it was lemonade.

 

“You know each other?” Taehyung directed the question at Jimin and Jungkook pulled a lone chair from another table sitting down in between them, a futile attempt to separate Taehyung from the devil which had appeared unsummoned.

 

Jimin laughed, reaching out to brush his fingers against Taehyung’s palm,“We had the pleasure of meeting in detention.”

 

Jungkook fought not to correct Jimin, in his eyes it definitely wasn’t a pleasure. He didn’t think he could meet anyone who was worse than Hoseok at flirting but here sat Jimin, blatantly trying to get in Taehyung’s pants, talking as if Jungkook wasn’t even here.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jungkook asked, eyeing the way Jimin’s fingers touched Taehyung and how the other male did nothing to pull away.

 

He responded by smiling, playfully, “Cardiac Arrest was playing. I couldn’t pass it by.”

 

Taehyung lit up, “You like them too? No way! They’re my favourite band.”

 

“Are they?” Jimin widened his eyes, almost comically, “That’s so cool. I’ve been a fan of theirs for a long time. I had no idea you like them too.”

 

Jungkook fell silent as they both talked about the band, not having anything to add to the conversation, and even if he did, it didn’t seem like he would have any place in it. Taehyung talked almost constantly, gesturing animately and Jimin listened nodding, his smile wide and flirty. He was wearing a skin tight, black t-shirt under a black blazer and Jungkook noticed how Taehyung’s eyes slid down to Jimin’s chest once in awhile. It wasn’t like he could blame the other boy but he really wished, this all was just a bad dream as he felt his heart fall.

 

“Mind getting us all more drinks, Baby boy?” Jimin snapped Jungkook out of his thoughts and the younger boy nodded meekly getting up from his seat. “I’ll have vodka and coke.”

 

 

 

At the same time, at the other corner of the bar, Namjoon stumbled over to Yoongi, who had now pulled away from the hug, talking excitedly with Seokjin, who was listening to every word, his attention not drifting away even once.

 

“Babe, and Seungjun,” Namjoon yelled out, much louder than needed but all of the sounds seemed to be running away from him.

 

“It’s Seokjin,” the male corrected him, that annoying polite smile plastered on his face again.

 

Yoongi let Namjoon wrap his hands around his shoulders, “Joon, you’re drunk. I can smell the alcohol from here.”

 

“Wouldn’t you want to smell it from here?” Namjoon laughed, pressing a kiss against Yoongi’s lips, smell of the same cologne as before wafting from his body but Yoongi didn’t return it, grimacing as Namjoon pulled away.

 

“I think you should go back home,” he said to Namjoon, who felt anger swell up in his chest.

 

“I freed up my night to come and listen to you play and now you’re sending me home?” He pulled away, the world swaying around him, “Do you know how much work I have to do?”

 

“I know, Joon. I’m glad you made it but you’ve obviously had too much. Please, do it for me?” Yoongi attempted a smile, once again trying to avoid the conflict.

 

Seokjin who was watching the interaction spoke up, “Yoongi’s right, Namjoon. Should we call you a cab?”

 

“Who the asked you, Princess?”

 

“Namjoon,” Yoongi stepped in front of him, his tone cautious.

 

Seokjin was about to lose his temper too, his lips pursed in a tight line,“ Let’s stay civil, Namjoon. I wouldn’t want to fight someone I’ve just met.”

 

“Try to pull any more ing moves on my boyfriend and you will,” Namjoon tried to step around Yoongi, his eyes blazing.

 

“Namjoon, that’s enough!” His boyfriend wasn’t having any of his either as he started to pull him away, in the direction of the exit.

 

He pulled out from Yoongi’s grasp, bumping in one of the tables, spilling a glass of some cocktail on his trousers, “So you can go and flirt more with that ing , Seokhyun or something?”

 

Yoongi’s voice was quiet as he approached Namjoon, “It’s Seokjin and no. Please, Namjoon, you never act like this. Let’s talk about it when you’re sober, alright?”


 

Jungkook was ordering the drinks at the bar as he watched the pair interact, his disappearance not even noticeable. Jimin had moved his chair closer to Taehyung, his leg now brushing against the other male’s, who didn’t mind, letting Jimin pull all of his moves on him.

 

Personally, he couldn’t understand how anyone could fall for his greasy and predictable moves but he was witnessing it in action, his heart breaking more and more every second as he watched Jimin throw his head back, his hair everywhere, loud laughter escaping from his lips as he leaned closer to Taehyung, brushing their shoulders together.

 

Jimin leaned in even closer, whispering something in Taehyung’s ear, who seemed to think about something before they both got up and approached Jungkook.

 

“Hey, Kook,” Taehyung smiled, “We’re going out for a smoke.”

 

Jimin smirked at him, “Don’t worry, Baby boy. I’ll bring him back in one piece.”

 

He wasn’t so sure about that, downing the vodka and coke as he watched them both leave through the exit, a bad feeling forming at the pit of his stomach. A very, very bad feeling.

 

“Can you refill this?” Jungkook turned to the bartender, who just shrugged, mixing the boy another drink.

 

Jungkook was on his third glass and they still hadn’t come back, when he heard a fight breaking out. A familiar deep voice was shouting so loud, he could hear the words very clear even over the heavy rock music playing from the speakers. It was Namjoon, looking much more drunk than how Jungkook had left him, his face red as he yelled angrily, the tattoo guy holding him back. At first, he watched it in curiosity, wondering how far it’ll go but Namjoon seemed to be getting angrier and angrier.

 

The boy wouldn’t call himself a martyr but for some reason he felt that he should go and help. Maybe it was the booze. It probably was the booze.He got up, his knees weak as he stumbled over the floor, over to where the fight was, stopping right in front a window next to the exit, feeling nausea coming on.

 

He leaned against the window, his eyes gazing out to the street. It was almost empty, except for a pair, right in front of the window. A black blazer and orange hair holding on to a taller boy, dark hair and long limbs as they kissed, the taller boy pressed against the wall, his hands in the shorter boy’s back pockets, grabbing his .

 

Jungkook threw up.


Namjoon was ready to yell back at  the shorter man, who was looking at him with a pained expression, when with the corner of his eye he noticed Jungkook leaning against the window, vomit all over the floor and on his sneakers. He watched the boy breathing heavily and decided that at the moment it was his best way out.

 

Seokjin had approached both of them, watching Namjoon carefully, his muscles tensed but Namjoon ignored him, turning away from Yoongi.

 

“You’re right, Yoon,” he said, his chest rising heavily, “I’ll just go. At least there’s someone who could actually use my help.”

 

“What?” Yoongi furrowed his forehead but Namjoon was already stumbling over to Jungkook, who didn’t even spare him a glance as Namjoon held tightly onto him, pulling him out of the bar.

 

They walked past the couple outside, still deep in their kiss and Jungkook averted his eyes, finally looking up to see Namjoon. He smelled like alcohol and vomit. The elder fished in his pockets for breath mints and pulled them out, sticking one in the other’s mouth.

 

Jungkook coughed at the sudden taste, “Thank you, hyung.”

 

“Don’t. Let’s just get you home,” Namjoon said, pulling him in the direction of the bus stop, ignoring the buzzing in his pocket.