Chapter 6

Subtract

The long awaited NamKook scene is here. Also hope you enjoy this^^

 

“Come on, Jungkook,” Namjoon said pulling the younger boy up from the bench, “The bus is here.”

 

He groaned something in reply, draping his arm around Namjoon’s shoulders as they stumbled in the dimmed bus. It was empty, except for a middle aged woman dozing off in one of the front seats. The elder pulled them to the end, sitting Jungkook in the window seat. He collapsed lifelessly, whining when his head hit against the glass.

 

Jungkook sat in silence, seemingly more awake now, his head pressed against the cold glass and Namjoon couldn’t help but to look at the boy, sitting next to him. Something was bothering Jungkook and it was written all over his handsome features, his doe eyes glazed but thoughtful.

 

Namjoon had never seen the boy as the type to drink. Especially this much. He was seething himself, the tequila shots fanning his anger even more so helping him was a good reason to get away from the bar and his boyfriend.

 

“Hyung,” Jungkook spoke up, his words echoing all through the bus. The lights flashing on his face as the cars sped past the bus. “I-. Hyung, how do you deal with heartbreak?”

 

His slurred words were quiet and genuine, eyes shining with tears. Namjoon sighed, wondering the same thing, the pain from earlier banging against his chest begging to be let out, “It hurts. It always does.”

 

"Does it get better?" Jungkook asked. He wiped his nose and let his head fall on the elder's shoulder. His hair smelled of smoke and shampoo, and tickled Namjoon's neck.

 

"Sometimes."

 

Jungkook finally let his tears roll and they slid over his tanned cheeks, leaving wet stains on his skin. They dripped on Namjoon’s shirt soaking it but he let the younger boy cry, knowing too well the pain he was going through.

 

They fell back in the silence, the bus stopping to let the woman out. With a creaking sound, bus door closed and they were now left alone. Dimmed lights flashed, the bulbs about die and the sizzling sound of electricity filled the air around them. There seemed to be another type of electricity growing around them. A current of understanding and pain.

 

The younger boy seemed to vulnerable and childish suddenly, his mind absent in another place. Namjoon felt his protective instincts kicking in, feeling almost like an older brother to the kid. Hoseok would have already tracked the person who caused Jungkook so much pain and made sure they get what they deserve. Without being able to stop himself, Namjoon lifted his hand, his fingers brushing against the boy’s cheeks, brushing away the tears.

 

“They’re not worth your tears, Jungkook,” he whispered as the younger boy lifted his head to look up at Namjoon.

 

In return, he flashed a smile, small but grateful, his face lighting up just for a second before falling again. Jungkook wanted to believe that, he really did but images of Taehyung wrapped around Park Jimin flashed through his mind. If he couldn’t steal Taehyung’s heart for years now, how come someone else could do it so easily?

 

Namjoon gazed at the other boy, watching his expression change. Jungkook looked beautiful, even when his face was contorted in pain, even under the dirty bus lights, his skin still glowing, eyes shining and he felt the same anger from before appear in his chest. He didn’t understand why those with the purest hearts were made to suffer the most.

 

So when he leaned down, Namjoon didn’t think much about his actions, he followed his heart, knowing well enough his mind was too dizzy from the alcohol to make the right decisions anyway. Jungkook didn’t shy away, looking straight in the elder’s dark eyes, knowing what will happen, his lips slightly parted, smell of vodka escaping them.

 

That didn’t stop Namjoon and he pressed a slight kiss against the younger’s pink lips. They tasted like tears. The kiss was soft and careful at first, before Namjoon grabbed Jungkook’s face, deepening it, his heartbeat increasing when the younger responded to his actions, his hands grabbing Namjoon’s leather jacket, holding on to him.

 

Jungkook whined when their lips parted, deep breath escaping him but Namjoon wasn’t ready to end the kiss yet either and attacked the other again, his tongue running over his lips, begging for Jungkook to open them and he obeyed, letting Namjoon enter his mouth. It wasn’t perfect, their position awkward, teeth banging together  a few times before finding their rhythm.

 

Tongues mixing alcohol between them, massaging each other, exploring each other. This kiss was more passionate, full of hurt, anger and heartbreak as they mended their pain through fervor, heat everywhere and Jungkook’s hands in Namjoon’s hair, pulling hard, his chest tightening every time their lips met, breaking every time they parted. The bus lights suddenly seemed like falling stars over their heads, fulfilling their every wish before burning out, just like they were coming close to.

 

They both knew that the kiss had to stop but it was at the very end of their mind, trying to grasp the moment and extend it for as long as possible, to taste each other for as long as possible. It was addicting, hooking both of them on a pretend love even for that split second, a tremor in the calm ocean, which sent ripples through their lives. Ripples that could turn into whirlpools, into tsunamis.

 

The bus halted, tearing them apart, releasing a breath of air when the doors opened, chilly air waking them up from their enchantment, sending realisation though their bodies like a sudden rainstorm drenching them.

 

A couple holding hands, stepped into the bus, giggling about something only they knew and Namjoon envied them. “It’s my stop, hyung,” Jungkook said, his lips swollen from the kisses and eyes glazed over, emotions masked by a stoic voice.

 

Namjoon stood up, pulling Jungkook with him by his wrist. The younger boy swayed dangerously as they both hurried to get off the bus, the couple ignored them, their eyes devoted only to each other as they embraced in their seat. Jungkook followed the elder, still confused, still drunk, still dazed. He wasn’t sure what to say but he could feel that what they did was wrong. Jungkook didn’t know why yet but there was a black hole forming where his heart was. in everything, every second of the kiss disappearing there even if it kept replaying in his mind, the hot wetness of Namjoon’s lips still fresh, gel from his hair still sticky on his fingers. The smell of his cologne on his clothes.

 

The outside air didn’t do much to sober Jungkook up as he walked silently a few steps behind the older guy. Namjoon was quiet, his mind running endlessly as he now felt angry not only at Yoongi but himself too. There was nothing he could do to fix the mess he had made, nothing to make it better.

 

They both walked past the dark houses, only street lights above them as they tried to avoid the puddles from the earlier rain, the air smelling like dust and freshly cut grass, the smell of oncoming spring, trees ready to bloom, flowers pushing out their heads from the soil, waiting for the perfect time to wake up.

 

Namjoon stopped only a few steps away from Jungkook’s house, the only one with the lights still on, looking at the younger boy, wanting to say something but not knowing what would be the best. He might be a genius when it came to maths but human emotions was one of the things he couldn’t decipher himself.  The lights fell on both of them as Jungkook spoke up, quietly, “Thank you for taking me home.”

 

He laughed, eyes filled with tears he didn’t want to release, “Please, Jungkook, you don’t have to thank me.”

 

Jungkook knew what he meant, flashing a pained smile, similar to Namjoon’s in return, “But I mean it. If you weren’t there, I don’t know what I would have done.”

 

Their words were too sober for their drunken bodies but that was what bad choices did to people. Broken promises and regretful decision had lead them to grow up, just in few minutes.

 

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Jungkook said, pulling out his phone, a missed call from Hoseok, an unread text from Taehyung, “If you still want to come that is.”

 

Namjoon smiled, something genuine this time, “I promised Hoseok, I’ll make you pass. And I meant it.”



 

After seeing Jungkook in, careful not to be seen by Hoseok, he made his way back to his dorm. Being alone made Namjoon realise how drunk he was in reality. He wouldn’t call himself a lightweight but eight shots of tequila tended to do things even to the most experienced of drinkers. Not Yoongi though. Yoongi could drink like a horse despite his small frame. The stupid small frame he loved so much. The stupid small frame he had cheated on with someone who was still in high school.

 

Namjoon was an . Blowing up on Yoongi and then leaving. His phone had buzzed without stop for fifteen minutes after he left the bar. He knew it was Yoongi. Nobody else would have bothered with him, nobody had in the past until he came along. And made Namjoon fall harder than he ever had before.

 

He was scared of losing Yoongi, no matter how much he tried to deny it. While Yoongi seemed to be cold on the outside, there wasn’t a more caring and warm person Namjoon had ever met. Someone who was willing to stay with him all night to revise for his exams and make him coffee when he was falling asleep on top of the books. Someone to make him mixtapes of songs that reminded Yoongi of Namjoon and play their covers at his shows, always dedicating them to him. Not caring what other people thought of their relationship, even when Namjoon’s parents had doubted their love at beginning, or people who sneered at them as they walked down the street holding hands.

 

Min Yoongi was the love of his life.

 

And yet the kiss he shared with Jungkook was there, at the front of his brain. The image of the younger boy whining as he held close to Namjoon, not wanting to let go, was there together with all of the moments he had shared with Yoongi. Their first date, first kiss, that time Yoongi had found Namjoon crying watching The Notebook and filmed him using the video to blackmail him every time Yoongi wanted something. It was something irreversible, something Namjoon will have to live with for the rest of his life.

 

Finally arriving at the dorm, he let himself fall back on his unmade bed, pulling out his phone. The picture blurred in front of him but he could still see the background, which was a picture of him and Yoongi he had taken when they went out to Yoongi’s favourite Indian restaurant, there was some sauce on Yoongi’s cheek Namjoon had off

right after taking this selfie.

 

It was the last straw, tears overflowing, dripping down his cheeks. He felt them flow in his ears, dampen his hair and pillowcase but he didn’t try to stop them. There was no use to. And he cried until his breaths turned shallow and his nose started dripping. Until he couldn’t keep quiet anymore, whines escaping him as his body shook. Until he exhausted himself so much he fell asleep, tears still fresh on his cheeks.