Chapter 1

Subtract

Jungkook hated high school. It wasn't as he was an outcast or didn't have any friends. He was just dumb. And the school system didn't favour those who weren't good at math problems or didn't know what "budget" was in English.

 

At first he tried to do the best he could but after accidentally flushing down the English textbook down the school's toilet, he was labelled as a troublemaker. It seriously was just an accident. He revised the best when there was calm and quiet around him. ting was just another plus. Anyway, after that incident teachers didn't favour him that much and he started doing what he does best. Basketball. And it turned out that not only he was good at it but it was quite enjoyable for someone who spent half of the day playing Call of Duty. But right now all this was crumbling right in front of him.

 

"But mom, it's not fair!"

 

"Jungkook, no more whining, you're not a child. If you don't get your grades up we're pulling you out of the basketball team." She said her arms crossed over a floral blouse.

 

"It's my life mom, all of my friends play basketball. It's the only thing I like doing," he cried out and his mother shot a pointed look to Jungkook's father.

 

"Then the answer is simple. Improve your grades and you get to continue playing basketball. End of discussion." His father stood up from the beige leather sofa and gathered his things. "Sorry, honey, but I have to go now. My meeting starts in forty minutes." He pressed a kiss against her cheek and ran out of the door.

 

A motor starting up could be heard in the background as his mother stared at Jungkook, her lips pressed in a thin line. "This is for your own future. You can't play basketball forever." With those last words she also left, rushing to her job, and leaving Jungkook alone in the living room.

 

He collapsed in the sofa, his hand absentmindedly unlocking his phone. Suddenly his school uniform seemed too tight just like his chest. Basketball had become his life and he didn't want to give up on it. He bit his lip trying to figure out and way to deal with this but his mind was blank, just like this math homework. Maybe he could ask Tae? He was pretty smart, somehow passing all his classes with Bs but just the thought of them two alone in a room made his heart beat out of his chest. No, he was too much of a lovesick teenager to learn anything in the presence of Taehyung.

 

Lively footsteps pulled Jungkook out of his daze. "Hey, little Kookie, shouldn't you be leaving for school?" Hoseok approached him, a frown on his face and ruffled the younger’s hair.

 

"First, don't call me that. I've reserved that name for my ." Hoseok cringed. "Second what's the point? My life is ruined anyway."

 

Hoseok plopped down on the sofa next to Jungkook. "What happened? Was it mom again?"

 

Jungkook hummed in agreement. "I need to get my grades up to play basketball."

 

", Kook. Hasn't this happened before?"

 

"Yeah but this time she has already gotten a form and everything," he vaguely gestured at the coffee table on which lay already filled in form. All that was left to do was to hand it in to reception and watch his life crumble away.

 

"What am I going to do, hyung? I'm so majorly ed, nobody will ever top this, and I'm still a ."

 

Hoseok ignored the joke, his mind running through multiple options. "Maybe you could ask someone from your-"

 

"No, no, no, no. Not possible."

 

"Okay. Then how about I tutor you?"

 

A laugh unwillingly escaped Jungkook's lips. "Our mom cried when you passed the university entrance exam. For the first time in her life. I won't risk that."

 

Hoseok wanted to disagree but the little was right. He barely passed any of his exams. Not unlike Namjoon who was already born a ing genius.

 

"Hey, that's it!" He said and Jungkook looked at him, eyes narrowing. "I have an idea."

 

"Well, go on. I don't have all day." Jungkook sighed but inside his stomach was doing crazy flips. Could Hoseok actually help him?

 

"Remember Namjoon?"

 

Jungkook scrunched his forehead, thinking.  "Wasn't he your friend in high school?"

 

Hoseok nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, yes. I mean he still is. But I could ask him to tutor you. He passed all his exams flawlessly."

 

"ing nerd." Jungkook said but at the moment he couldn't care. Someone who could actually help was exactly what he needed and he couldn't pass up on an opportunity like this. "Okay, so Namjoon can help me?"

 

"Well I haven't asked him yet but it's very likely. I'll ask him today but you still have to go to school, Kook."

 

"Oh, ." He jumped up from his seat and looked at the watch. 7:50 am. His bus is coming in five minutes.  "Thanks, hyung!" Jungkook yelled running out the door. "I owe you one."

 

Hoseok laughed at his little brother but he knew that intelligence wasn't their dominant family trait. It was more along the lines of being able to inhale a whole pizza in 5 minutes or beating world records in video games.

 

Door smashed open and Jungkook appeared in the doorway, his hair all dishevelled. "I forgot my backpack."

 

 

Hoseok liked being a university student. As big as the workload was he got to do what he enjoyed. Working with children had been his goal ever since Jungkook was born. He always loved to play with him and teach him useless knowledge. Once, when he was ten and his brother seven, he convinced Jungkook that he was born from a dragon’s egg, so he could spit fire. Jungkook spent the next week randomly breathing on objects trying to set them on fire. It still was the funniest thing he'd done to this day but replacing the contents of his backpack to magazines came close second. Jungkook was made to stay for detention for the next two months.

 

Despite all this he loved his brother a lot and he was his inspiration to get through university. Not like he'd ever tell Jungkook that, it would be lame. Jungkook was the person that rooted for him even when he was being teased in school due to his career choice or when his parents, mom more specifically, wanted him to do law.

 

However, today Hoseok was on a quest. Kim Namjoon was his best friend but he could be very stubborn when he wanted to. Hoseok had to make sure Namjoon couldn't refuse to tutor Jungkook. He sat in his lectures absent minded and tried to dig up any blackmail material to use. Namjoon wasn't an easy friend to embarrass, after all he was the one that suggested to wear skirts to school when he wanted to protest the new summer uniforms, which consisted of shorts that only went up to half of his thigh.

 

He caught Namjoon standing in the line for lunch. It wasn’t hard to spot him due to his bleached white hair and all black outfit. It was complemented with the same colour cardigan but it seemed to be a few sizes too big and its sleeves flapped in the constant movement.

 

“Namjoon, just the person I wanted to see today,” Hoseok yelled all over the cafeteria, smile appearing on his face.

 

Namjoon turned to look, his face darker than usual. What’s with everyone being in a bad mood today?

 

“Don’t talk to me, Hoseok,” He said, looking over the available options for lunch. Nothing on the display seemed to appealing. Even the bulgogi.

 

Hoseok bumped his friend’s shoulder and wiggled in the line in front of a freshman student ignoring their quiet protests, “Dude, you alright?”

 

He looked at Hoseok’s face, tears visible in his eyes, “Sarah got voted out of The Bachelor last night. She was my favourite.”

 

Hoseok couldn’t do anything else except sigh. Why was he the only normal person he knew?

 

“It’s okay, Namjoon. She, uh, probably was, uh, a great girl.”

 

“Damn right, she was! Still is,” Namjoon snuffled, “I hate Ben. And he’s ugly too, like why would they even cast him for the show? It’s obvious he has no taste in women.”

 

“Haha, yeah you’re right,” Hoseok picked up a bowl of rice as they moved forward, “Anyway, I have a small request for you.”

 

“I don’t think I can help you pick up another chick, Hoseok. You can’t lie to every girl you know about our ‘sick moves’ and then try to escape the situation by blaming me. Last girl even took me to the hospital to get my ankle checked.” Namjoon rolled his eyes and shuddered at the memory.

 

“Dude, girls like dancers, wait until I learn how to pop and every girl in this cafeteria will be mine,” Namjoon scoffed. “Well, at least you’ve got Yoongi hyung so you don’t have to worry about relationship problems.”

 

Hoseok continued on filling half of his food tray with kimchi, “But it’s not about that. Do you remember my little brother, Jungkook? I think you might’ve met him.”

 

“Ah, yes. He’s a cute kid.” Namjoon said, his eyes staring at the assortment of meats, his appetite suddenly back.

 

“Well, he’s not a kid anymore. Actually he’s in last year of high school and he needs a bit of help with his studies.”

 

Namjoon stopped his movements completely, a plate filled with pork belly still in his hands, “And, I guess, you want me to help him. No way, Hoseok, I’ve got plenty of my own to deal with. I need to finish two essays on people’s bodies and excrement we produce by the end of the week.”

 

They both grimaced, the food on their trays not looking so appealing suddenly. Hoseok snapped out of it, “Nams, you owe me one, remember when I saved you by the police last year? You’d be in deep if it wasn’t for me.”

 

“It’s art, Hoseok, you don’t get it.” Namjoon cast a glance at his friend, “I wasn’t because I wanted to. It was to make a statement.”

 

“Well your statement almost got us both arrested and you owe me one.”

 

Namjoon sighed looking at his friend. He knew that Hoseok would never give up, it was engraved in his personality and if he was honest with himself, Hoseok had always come through in a time of need. Except for that one time, when Namjoon broke his hip while skateboarding and Hoseok was laughing too much to call the ambulance. If he remembered correctly, he even threw up from laughing too hard.

 

“Okay, I guess I’ll do it. Just know that you are taking quality time away from me and my boyfriend. If he breaks up with me because of this, I’m blaming you,” Namjoon laughed and Hoseok joined in.

 

“I’ll let you punch me if that happens,” He said while pulling out his phone to send a quick text to his brother.

 

Hobi: mission success u owe me some pizza <3 or even better set me up with the girl from ur english, she’s hot af and she has the bj lips.

Kookie: This is Jungkook’s teacher. Please refrain from sending any messages to him during lessons.

 

“.”

 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
This is the first chapter, obviously. It's more of an introductory chapter and the rest of characters will be brought in over time. Hope you enjoyed nevertheless and thank you for reading^^
 
Everita