Ch9

Unknown Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“who’s been sending you these messages?” he asked coldly.

I looked at him and then at my phone and then back at him.
This couldn’t be happening. He wasn’t supposed to know about this. No one was.

I can handle this on my own.
I cant have anyone be affected by this… not again.

I wiped my tears and walked up towards Jaebum who was holding my phone in the air, in front of him. I reached over and grabbed it out of his hands before planning my escape from this situation.

“it’s none of your concern” I added as I walked away, towards a cab.

“if this is the reason you get all nervous then ya y/n it is my concern” he spoke loudly so I’d hear the farther I walked.

I wasn’t planning on stopping, nor was I planning on listening to him as I left. But I couldn’t help but take in what he had just said and laugh.

“oh so now you want to care?”

I was angry. Not at him but at everything that has brought me to this moment right now. He had done nothing to me but his words seem to annoy me the most, and I ended up taking my anger out on him.

He knew what I meant. There was no need for an explanation. And he didn’t dare say anything to defend himself since he knew what I had said held some truth. Jaebum was always on his own planet. Smiling and laughing whenever he desired and going stiff and cold in a matter of seconds if he chose to.

“at least let me take you home… it’s not safe being alone if someone’s been harassing you like this” he tried to comfort me by speaking so softly…. I almost gave in but then I remembered something that had been on my mind for a while.

“no… I said I don’t need you. But if you want to be helpful then tell me what’s going on between you and Doyun. Why do you guys hate each other?”

I walked back to him so that he knew I wasn’t leaving until I got an answer. He looked into my eyes as I looked into his, both not wanting to make the next move.
Jaebum’s kindness slowly began to vanish as he thought of Doyun. He didn’t want to say a single word about him but he knew if he didn’t I’d leave without saying a word to him.

We stood in silence, facing one another for a few minutes until the cold wind began to brush against our bodies and the first droplets of rain fell on our faces.
Jaebum looked to the sky, taking in the grey clouds and the bright moon, wasting as much time as he could before he knew he’d have to speak.

But after several minutes of waiting he still hadn’t said a word, and I had had it.

I looked at him one final time and without saying anything I turned around and began to walk, I knew he wouldn’t tell me anything, there was no point in prying.

The rain began to fall then too.

“he was a friend…. From uni” he unexpectedly, finally spoke.

I stopped but didn’t turn around, waiting for him to continue.

“my best friend actually…. But that ended long ago”

I turned around, curiosity struck as I now looked at him. Jaebum was drenched in rain, his hair flattening on his forehead as his clothes began to soak with water.

“why… how did you two end up in such bad terms” I asked even though I felt like he may not want to tell me.

“he was pressured to join a small gang and they forced him to steal from a local shop. I saw him the day he was planning his theft, and told him not to but he wouldn’t listen. Things got bad really quick, the gang showed up and began to steal whatever they wanted while breaking everything around them. I tried to help Doyun, save him from anything that came our way. But the second the cops came, the gang members ran… they saw Doyun and they told him he still had a chance if he left me behind.” Jaebum brushed his hand through his hair to keep the water from falling on his face, “he looked at me with such apologetic eyes before he took out a pocket knife and began to come towards me. I tried to stop him, to talk some sense into him but he wouldn’t listen. He left me that night with cops all around and a wound on the side of my stomach. I couldn’t get to him since his father was well informed with the cops. He left me that day to rot…. After all we’d been through he threw it all away for some punks that he just met.”

“oh my God…. Jaebum… I don’t know what to say, i-”

Before I had the chance to continue the loud shattering noise of thunder took over. I covered my ears and shut my eyes from the noise and Jaebum began to walk towards me.

“let’s get you somewhere dry… we can talk later” he yelled through the rain.

But the closer he got, my body automatically began to push away. I was still not over what had happened in the bathroom and I was afraid to trust anyone right now. Jaebum noticed and stopped coming foreword, he knew what was going through my mind and began to try another approach.

“I wont ever hurt you y/n…. you don’t have to be afraid around me” He placed his hand out for me to hold.

I looked at him and then at his hand. His words were so calming and his presence was possibly the only thing keeping me sane right now. I was afraid but not of him….. afraid of losing him the more he got to know my story and the more he forced himself to be around me.
My life was anything but normal right now, and I wasn’t sure if he’d be ready to accept me for who I am…. Not when all this was going around.

Thunder struck again and we both flinched. Jaebum then pushed his hand further towards me, patiently waiting for me to hold on as we both drenched in rain.

“why are you helping me…. My life is a mess jaebum…. I don’t want you to have to care about me” I began to stutter as the cold breeze pushed against my and I felt the cold run down my spine.

“We’ve all got a story y/n…. this may be selfish but I’m curious to know yours. Now come on, let’s go somewhere warm, I can’t feel my hands anymore” he tried to joke while shivering.

Thunder struck once more as the sky lightened by the electrical lines of lightening. I saw his expression and it was full with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter